Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD ... "Something festers in the heart of Middle-Earth" ...

Elven
Valinor

Jul 8 2008, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 21 (1618 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ... "Something festers in the heart of Middle-Earth" ... Can't Post

Ack!! Sarumans dirty socks!!! ? ... Frown Wink Laugh Nooooooo ....Crazy

I love this beautiful shot - the palantir against the background of the ruin of Isengard, but the untouched Mountains in the background.

1. What are your impressions of this scene - do you like it?

2. What did you first think Saruman was talking about - what did you think was 'festering in Middle-Earth'? - besides Orthanc that is Wink

3. Did bringing the Palantir into this scene make sense for you?

4. What do you see in the Palatir of this shot?

5. Any other comments - please feel free to let lose Smile

Cheers Elven Heart

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

(This post was edited by Elven on Jul 8 2008, 4:43pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 8 2008, 6:17pm

Post #2 of 21 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Saruman on Lane 5... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What are your impressions of this scene - do you like it? -- It's one of the few parts of it I actually do like. Great imagery!

2. What did you first think Saruman was talking about - what did you think was 'festering in Middle-Earth'? - besides Orthanc that is Wink -- I figure it's Denethor and the fact that he's going to be an obstacle instead of a help. Gandalf in the films seems very surprised by this. The good guys aren't figuring that "one of their own" will create a problem for them. Saruman's knowledge presumably comes from the Palantir, which is more evidence that Denethor was using one...

3. Did bringing the Palantir into this scene make sense for you? -- I doesn't "not" make sense. Saruman says he has information, and the Palantir provides a basis for his source.

4. What do you see in the Palatir of this shot? -- I think it's Mordor, though my sense is there's more subliminal images in there...

5. Any other comments - please feel free to let lose Smile -- Anyone else think this looks like an ad for the Isengard Bowling Alley? It's a strike!

Weaver

xy
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 12:05pm

Post #3 of 21 (1409 views)
Shortcut
i liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I liked this scene, it shows how vengeful Saruman was, right till the end.

2. I thought he was referring to the Shire, where he went afterwards (in the book). But now that I think about it, it's more likely he's talking about Gondor and Denethor. But then again : we know Sauron communicated with Saruman and Denethor, but would Saruman know what happened with Denethor ? The master stone to eavesdrop on everyone - the one in Osgiliath - was ruined before so Saruman can't see/watch the Sauron-Denethor talks.

3. Yes, it shows how he got info from Mordor.

4. Mount Doom and Barad-Dur.

(This post was edited by xy on Jul 9 2008, 12:10pm)

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 21 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Mr Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What are your impressions of this scene - do you like it? I really like the panorama of the shot and how much you actually see.

2. What did you first think Saruman was talking about - what did you think was 'festering in Middle-Earth'? - besides Orthanc that is Wink
For me the key word here is festering and it is defined as:
  1. To undergo decay; rot.
    1. To be or become an increasing source of irritation or poisoning; rankle: bitterness that festered and grew.
    2. To be subject to or exist in a condition of decline: allowed the once beautiful park to fester
Thus the thing that is poisoned or is in a state or condition of decline is Denethor if we are looking for a person. In another sense hope is in a condition of decline as is Gondor itself.

3. Did bringing the Palantir into this scene make sense for you?
It was nicely done and yes, it made sense in terms of the timing.

4. What do you see in the Palatir of this shot?
A tower, perhaps Cirith Ungol, perhaps Baradur.

5. Any other comments - please feel free to let lose
In a way I see dead or wraith like Mr. Bill in the right hand side of the Palantir saying Oh Noooooooo!!!! . Mr. Bill

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

(This post was edited by ArathornJax on Jul 9 2008, 12:40pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 21 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Ummm... if you blow up the image in the Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks like Barad-dur and Mt. Doom! The mountain isn't as apparent, but that's GOT to be Barad-dur. That's so eerie! Can anyone else see it?

If that's the case, I'm more fascinated with that shot than ever! WOW! Saruman standing so high up with those amazing mountains in the background and the destruction at his feet is such an iconic image!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 21 (1416 views)
Shortcut
I think so, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got an enlarged pic in my post of the image. Let me know what you think!?

sample

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 3:03pm

Post #7 of 21 (1387 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the enlarged image! [In reply to] Can't Post

(and the heads up above to check it out!)

Yep, Barad-dur and Mt. Doom are most definitely on the other end of the connection...

So, you've got to figure Denethor is talking to Sauron, and Saruman picks up that bit of news from Sauron via his Middle Earth webcam..

What interests me, too, is what other images are superimposed in there -- or if my mind is just making me look for patterns here. I "think" there's a hint of the White Tree to the bottom right, and possibly even a very faint image of Minas Tirith in the white, faded blurry part of the picture. I almost think what we are seeing is the White Tree image that Pippin gets via the Palantir with Mt. Doom/Barad-dur superimposed over it.

I confess I've never listened to the ROTK commentaries -- does anyone know if they mention how they achieved this particular Palantir effect?

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 3:35pm

Post #8 of 21 (1405 views)
Shortcut
I just popped it into photoshop so I could enlarge it [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I see what you're seeing for Minas Tirith and could agree. I don't know if I see the White Tree. When you said, "I almost think what we are seeing is the White Tree image that Pippin gets via the Palantir" are you saying that was on of the shots in the movie? I just checked LOTR Screen Cap Library and they don't have that shot.

I think it would be very interesting to pull that image and even, in some conversation, look at the images from Galadriel's mirror and the rest of the Palantir shots (I know we see things in Aragorn's scene, for example). I am quite tempted but will resist that temptation and stay focused on my website. If no one else gets to it before I need a break, I may go looking for a good screen shot of Pippin's vision. Or even just a comparable shot of Minas Tirith to compare to.

You must need a break as much as I crave them to go looking for subliminal images like this. :-)

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 4:27pm

Post #9 of 21 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Actually, that image [In reply to] Can't Post

on our lower right-hand corner looks almost like Saruman or Sauron holding a staff! I'd say Saruman because it's white and you'd think there'd be something in the Palantir that would inflate or manipulate his own image in the mix... like he's standing over Mordor. I know there had been discussion in the past that it could have been the Corsairs approaching Gondor that he saw, but I'm thinking now that it's Mordor.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 4:30pm

Post #10 of 21 (1362 views)
Shortcut
That would be fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

to study each of the images through the mirror, the Palantir, and even what Frodo sees when he's under the influence of the Ring. When thing quiet down and we're *kaff* bored with lots of extra time on our hands, we can explore those fersher :D

sample

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 21 (1393 views)
Shortcut
I found the White Tree image, and here it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could not figure out how to make this larger, but I did figure out how to make it legal on TORN. How about that!

Looking at it again, I do think this image is one of the things we're seeing inside that Palantir...white tree and all. What do you think?

**Returns to Magpie's photo-posting classroom... to try and figure out how to get it bigger but not too big!**

Weaver

(This post was edited by weaver on Jul 9 2008, 5:06pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 5:07pm

Post #12 of 21 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Try this site for resizing images [In reply to] Can't Post

Image Resizer

Woodyend recommended it. I'm not going to work up a tutorial for using this site but it looked way simpler than Photobucket. (Although you cannot host images on Image Resizer).

If you find you can't figure out Image Resizer, let me know and we'll find a quiet time for a walkthrough.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 5:08pm

Post #13 of 21 (1365 views)
Shortcut
I definitely think that part of the image! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'll confess, I haven't been through the ROTK commentaires, either Blush

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 5:14pm

Post #14 of 21 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Photobucket resizing instructions were superb. I did follow them and actually did figure out how to resize the photo to a larger size than the one I posted, but my problem was that I could not figure out how to get out of Photobucket's editing screen! I ended up hitting the back arrow, which of course undid the size change.

So, I gave up, and posted it as an attachment. And then I saw your other tip about reducing it BEFORE you get to the editing screen, and that worked, though I had to settle for a smaller size than I wanted. So I edited my post to the one you finally saw....

So, if you can just tell me how to get out of that XX&&$$@@ Photobucket edit screen with my changes intact, I think I can graduate with a C- from Magpie Photoposting school....well, maybe, if the instructor gives me bonus points for trying...

If not, I will check out Woodyend's site, but to be honest it took me years to figure out the basics on Photobucket so I'd rather not try to tax the 10 technical brain cells I have but trying to figure out a new site!

Now, what about that White Tree image -- hmmm????

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 5:54pm

Post #15 of 21 (1359 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing I'd ask is, did you hit 'save'? It looks like things have changed since I did the tutorial. You can choose:
  • Save a Copy
  • Replace Original
Save a copy means you would then have two: one large, one small
Replace Original means you'd essentially get rid of the large one and keep only the small one

When I hit one of these buttons, I'm taken to a page of the finished image with the urls waiting to be copied.

There is also an apply button. If you want to keep working on the image, you can hit this and then do some more stuff to it. But in the end, when you're all finished you have to hit one of those two save options. If you're only changing one thing (the size) then you don't have to hit apply. You can change the size and hit save or replace.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2008, 6:15pm

Post #16 of 21 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Great shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loving the discussion on the blown up Palantir! Mordor, Saruman, Minas Tirith, now that it's been pointed out, I can see them all in there! I imagine they just layered a few different shots into it so each viewer could potentially spot something different.

*Jazminatar the Brown*

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 6:16pm

Post #17 of 21 (1355 views)
Shortcut
would you believe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a phobia about saving things and therefore can't complete this step?

No?

Ok, how about my computer was running a scan and so I could not hit save...?

No?

Well, then, I will just have to admit that "I can't find the Save button!"

The only "save" I can find is on my browser ( I think) which saves the edit page to my desk top. That can't be right...

So just how do I "save"?

Help me, OMG Magpie, you're my only hope...

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 8:31pm

Post #18 of 21 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Save Me [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I have Firefox. If you have IE, they should look close enough for you to find the buttons. But if they don't, I can get screen shots for IE.

When I try to edit an image the window looks like this:

The save buttons are under the image in blue. Close up, they look like this:

Once I click one of those save buttons, I get a window that looks like this:

Now I have this box with code in them. Close up it looks like this:

Now, to be clear we're starting on the same page, that first screen shot I showed you was when I had already clicked 'edit this image'. You can see the edit buttons in the top toolbar. Resize looks like a box with an X in it. I am not showing you the edit steps. Nor am I telling you what to do with the code. I'm assuming that's not what's troubling you.

Let me know if this helps.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 9:19pm

Post #19 of 21 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Ok, I'm saved! At least I think I'm saved! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aha!

Thanks for the Visuals! Can you tell I'm one of those people who need to have something concrete to refer to understand things?

(Like when I'm trying to figure out how to get somewhere, following a map, I have to actually pretend I'm a little car following the line on the map...and then I still get lost...)

Anyway...

Lest you think I'm totally a doofus, I really could not see any of the Save buttons on my edit screen -- but when I went to Full Screen, shazam, there they were!

I could not edit in full screen, though.

So, I edited it first, then went to Full Screen, and saved it there!

Let's see if this works:

Did I do it?
Is this TORn-Legal?
Does this make me a Padawan? (I really look bad in braids though..)

THANKS, Photo-Mistress Magpie and I really hope I have enough photoclorines to pass this test...!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 9:50pm

Post #20 of 21 (1351 views)
Shortcut
well, one down... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not quite sure what the FullScreen option is. Is that an option in your browser or in Photobucket? What browser are you using? I think the image resizer might be easier all around for you. I think you have to download the image onto your harddrive, then upload it onto the site.

Is it TORn legal?

Well, dimensions: 670*282=188,940 which is less than 210,000. so it's okay.

File size is: 78Kb which is larger than 50 Kb. So that's out of bounds. I'm not sure if you have the option to lower Kb size in Photobucket. It might be worth asking on feedback about this.

You're definitely a padawan. You stuck with it. :-)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 10:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (1371 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to count this as a major victory for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Half-way home, hooray!

**Flips Padawan braid around -- plays happy music from the end of Star Wars**

Ok, maybe I don't look so bad in this hairstyle after all.

I'm in Firefox, and Full Screen is an option on Photobucket for me. After I uploaded the picture to Photobucket, and then clicked on edit, I got to an edit screen where there was an option there for viewing the image Full Screen. So I clicked on that and that took me to the page where the Save button was hiding...

I will continue this on Feedback re: the size thing, and check out the woodyend recommended site if need be.

(You know, figuring this all out will probably get my post count up to Tol Eressea...um, yeah, I really understand all this, I'm just trying to up my stats, that's it...)

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.