Second Cousins Once Removed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rohan

Jul 11 2008, 5:39pm

Post #26 of 29 (61 views)
Shortcut
My family tree. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother's side of the family originated in Dublin but the records are hard to trace as the building they were housed in burned down.My Gran, Sarah Ellen, was the first member of Mum's family to be born in England,in 1896, and her father, John MaGee, left her mother and travelled to New York with his five sisters soon after her birth.My great-gran had a disabled sister whom she refused to leave and in the 1890's some disabled people reached America and were returned on the next boat.So, my great-grandfather, 'Handsome John MaGee as he was known, settled in the US and disappeared soon after.We do have a photo of him standing in a doorway somewhere in New York and he was very, very tall.The rumours passed down from my Aunt say that John Magee died in an earthquake in Cuba, of all places, but that may just be myth.The five sisters all settled down in and around Boston but their branches of the family tree were lost many, many years ago.I did visit Ellis Island in 1987 and checked the names on the great wall but I think the US side to my Mum's family will ever be a mystery.
My Mum did tell me that she was afraid to visit her Grandma, who was called Sarah Ellen Whelen, because she'd call her to her side and tell her that there was a "little man under the table".SlyMy Aunt Edith wouldn't visit her Gran because she scared her to death.Also, great-gran Whelen lived in Scotland for a time and she had to change her surname to Phelen, as you did in those times.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2008, 6:35pm

Post #27 of 29 (62 views)
Shortcut
Did you know that Ellis Island has a web site? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is http://www.ellisisland.org. You can look up people using different spellings. The people who wrote down names were not that good of spellers and I found some under odd spellings.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

(This post was edited by Alcarcalime on Jul 11 2008, 6:37pm)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2008, 4:14am

Post #28 of 29 (60 views)
Shortcut
So was he handsome? [In reply to] Can't Post

John Magee, that is?

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rohan

Jul 12 2008, 8:14am

Post #29 of 29 (116 views)
Shortcut
Yes he was. [In reply to] Can't Post

The nickname was given to him by a friend when he was a teenager and it stuck.

After he arrived in New York he wrote to my great-grandmother and begged her to sail and join him in America, but she refused to leave her disabled sister and, after a time, he stopped writing to her.My Great-Gran then became a single parent and she had a hard time of it.She gave my Grandmother to a family called the Galley's and they fostered her for a time.I remember sitting with my Gran when I was younger and she told me that the Galley's were kind to her but they used to tie her to a chair while they went out---and that was when she was only two years old.She remembered it very clearly.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.