Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been reading this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 23 2007, 3:28pm

Post #51 of 56 (125 views)
Shortcut
Rand and Heinlein both like to rant, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Rand tended to rant on the same subject over and over and over again. Heinlein liked to jump around from subject to subject and was also perfectly willing to contradict himself -- remember he followed Stranger with Starship Troopers, just to annoy the heck out of all the hippies who had embraced Stranger. Rand was a True Believer -- Heinlein just liked to start arguments. Both, of course, were far more topical and openly opinionated and controversial than Tolkien.

Personally, I found Rand a little scary, even though I liked her books. I think she had trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality. I've heard that she threatened to blow herself up on the movie set for The Fountainhead, and even if it wasn't true it's the sort of thing I could see her, or one of her devoted followers, doing. As a philosopher and revolutionary, she was a good novelist. And by the way, Rand may have been more sexist than either Tolkien or Heinlein.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 23 2007, 3:40pm

Post #52 of 56 (100 views)
Shortcut
Middle English is not hard to learn. And [In reply to] Can't Post

I say that as someone who has a mental block when trying to learn languages. But really, most modern spellings come from Middle English, so if you just shift all the vowels to the way they are pronounced in other languages, then pronounce all the letters that are silent in modern English, that's about it. And boy, does it make a difference in poetry! I would love to take a pill that would allow me to understand Homer in the original ancient Greek, or Dante in Italian, or Beowulf in Old English. But with Chaucer, all it takes is a little effort.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 23 2007, 6:18pm

Post #53 of 56 (98 views)
Shortcut
I will start 'Liberating the Gospels' [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes.
Freeing Jesus from 2000 years of misunderstanding by John Shelby Spong.

I read his 'Sins of Scripture' and found it to be a truely illuminating book.

a.s. if you see this, is there any change in your finger?

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2007, 4:19am

Post #54 of 56 (96 views)
Shortcut
Well, I believe that [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie of The Fountainhead had almost nothing to do with the book, as I recall. I almost wanted to blow it up myself. Rand's characters are idealized much like Tolkien's. The heroes are "above our likes and dislikes", and the villains are indescribably evil, or at least they make your skin crawl a little. The men are men and the women are strong but feminine and liked to be roughed up a little. She is a little scary, but quite fascinating.

I never read Starship Troopers. There was another book by Heinlein I tried to read, but couldn't get into it.

Where's Frodo?

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 24 2007, 11:31am

Post #55 of 56 (109 views)
Shortcut
It's not Rand's fantasy that scares me, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's her belief that her fantasy accurately described the Primary World. Tolkien was quite clear on the distinction; Rand was not. Much harm has been done by those who cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality.

Foe
Lorien

Mar 25 2007, 4:24pm

Post #56 of 56 (136 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the Color of Magic as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Read it not too long ago.

Haven't been in the mood for comedy recently, but have the next 2 ready to go.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.