Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
********MISC: A Tour of Minas Tirith********

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 24 (378 views)
Shortcut
********MISC: A Tour of Minas Tirith******** Can't Post

. . .And upon its out-thrust knee was the Guarded City, with its seven walls of stone so strong and old that it seemed to have been not builded but carven by giants out of the bones of the earth.

Even as Pippin gazed in wonder the walls passed from looming grey to white, blushing faintly in the dawn; and suddenly the sun climbed over the eastern shadow and sent forth a shaft that smote the face of the City.

Then Pippin cried aloud, for the Tower of Ecthelion, standing high within the topmost wall, shown out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals. . .

. . .For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels, each delved into the hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall was a gate. But the gates were not set in a line; the Great Gate in the City Wall was at the east point of the circuit, but the next faced half south, and the third half north, so to and fro upwards; so that the paved way that climbed towards the Citadel turned first this way and then that across the face of the hill. And each time that it passed the line of the Great Gate, it went through an arched tunnel, piercing a vast pier of rock whose huge out-thrust bulk divided in two all the circles of the City save the first.

For partly in the primeval shaping of the hill, partly by the mighty craft and labour of old, there stood up from the rear of the wide court behind the Gate a towering bastion of stone, its edge sharp as a ship-keel facing east.

Up it rose, even to the level of the topmost circle, and there was crowned by a battlement; so that those in the Citadel might, like mariners in a mountainous ship, look from its peak sheer down upon the Gate seven hundred feet below.

The entrance to the citadel also looked eastward, but was delved in the heart of the rock; thence a long lamp-lit slope ran up to the seventh gate.

Thus men reached at last the High Court, and the Place of the Fountain before the feet of the White tower: tall and shapely, fifty fathoms from its base to the pinnacle. . .

Pippin gazed in growing wonder at the great stone city, vaster and more splendid than anything that he had dreamed of; greater and stronger than Isengard, and far more beautiful.

Yet it was in truth falling year by year into decay; and already it lacked half the men that could have dwelt at ease there. In every street they passed some great house or court . . . and yet now they were silent, and no footsteps rang on their wide pavements, nor voice was heard in their halls, nor any face looked out from door or empty window.

1. Did Peter Jackson’s vision of Minas Tirith do justice to yours?

2. Would you like to spend a holiday in Minas Tirith?

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 24 (193 views)
Shortcut
Minas Tirith [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely loved Peter Jackson's Minas Tirith. For me, it matched the book very well. I would love a chance to stay in Minas Tirith and just wander through the streets and see all the buildings.

I had intended to post this much earlier. I started at 5:00 a.m. EDT (US). It seems that neither my system nor OhioHobbit's will post in advanced editor any more. I had to drive 20 miles to my son's and he let me post on his computer. Thank you, Son.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 28 2008, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 24 (187 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

*That* I call dedication - to drive 20 miles only to make this post! Thanks, Alcarcalime! **hugs**

These pictures make me all dreamy. Oh yes, I'd gladly accompany you through the city. It would be so wonderful and interesting to see all these buildings and fountains and everything. Particularly after the war, when Legolas and Gimli and their people were done with repairs and planting and all.

And the look from the upper levels and the courtyard of the Citadel must be tremendous. Even more so after the dark cloud over Mordor vanished.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 2:34pm

Post #4 of 24 (181 views)
Shortcut
Dedication [In reply to] Can't Post

It was only because I had made a commitment to do this. Of course, that was made before OhioHobbit's Internet Explorer got "upgraded" into something we couldn't use. When we did the Technical Discussion, he still had the old Internet Explorer 6 and it worked fine. We even experimented with posting a picture to make sure it worked, and it did, but not today. After using my son's high-speed internet, I have 'Internet Provider Envy"!!!!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 28 2008, 2:47pm

Post #5 of 24 (173 views)
Shortcut
Still, [In reply to] Can't Post

you did it, though you probably could have used the excuse that the computer refused to work.
I wonder if it would be possible to take the upgrade back, or to reload the IE6 and delete the new browser (or whatever is causing the problem)? Or to keep both, for emergencies. Though I admit to being rather hopeless in this regard myself. Anyway, I hope you get the problem resolved soon. It must be pretty frustrating.

I'd gladly invite you to use my highspeed connection as much as you want, but I fear we're living a bit too far from each other for that ;-(

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 2:53pm

Post #6 of 24 (170 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the invite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only thing is that getting to Germany could be a problem -- we aren't spending money right now and I REALLY, REALLY don't speak German. American schools don't require foreign languages, so I took Spanish in 1958 and Latin in 1961 and 1962.

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Jun 28 2008, 2:57pm

Post #7 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
This would be a great birthday mathom... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. It definitely did justice to how I imagined Minas Tirith. In fact, I agree with Pippin's opinion that it was "vaster and more splendid than anything that he had dreamed of." I wish I could have visited the set of Minas Tirith. It would have been amazing.
2. I would love to go on holiday there, but only after Sauron had been overthrown.

"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men,and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace..."

"Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 28 2008, 3:12pm

Post #8 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
It is said the world is small [In reply to] Can't Post

but not small enough sometimes, sadly. For the second to last Moot, I had to drive four hours, that was bad enough. And Ohio is a little bit further away Frown

Though in the rather unlikely case you'd get here, you would do well with your own language. Kids here have been learning English at school for decades, after all - that's where I learned the rudiments of English. For the rest is mainly Tolkien to blame Wink (Though you'd probably faint about my pronouncation *grin*)

Oh wow, you learned Latin? *is impressed* I never did, only my brother, and he most definitely didn't like it. But he loved something I found in a book once and that translates to: "The deeper I intrude into the secrets of the Latin language, the better I understand why the Roman Empire perished!" Evil

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 28 2008, 3:39pm

Post #9 of 24 (182 views)
Shortcut
**Mods up** -- Outstanding, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful MISC idea! Between the presentation, and what it cost you in gas to post this, I say praise you with great praise. Thank you!

Where did you get some of the pictures? The ones with the statues and the greenery on them are ones I have not seen before. It makes me realize that there were layers and layers to Minas Tirith that did not make it on screen. Like some favorite scenes of the actors, some aspects of the sets and effects ended up on the cutting room floor, too.

Like Helm's Deep, I could never quite follow Tolkien's description of what Minas Tirith or HD looked like. The films gave me a much better sense of "place" , involving those two structures. There is some lamenting, I know, of how the films did not develop the minor characters in both Gondor and Rohan, which gave a sense of the culture of those two places in the books. But in a visual adaptation of Tolkien, perhaps it is the settings which communicate that better, and in that context, the "character" of Minas Tirith is brought to life exceedingly well.

Gandalf's ride into the city, with the music, the large scale perspective, the visuals, etc. is one of my all time favorite parts of the films. I would like to think Tolkien would have been quite gratified by the film's presentation here, and how everything works together here to sweep you up into the story, convey a sense of the grandeur of the place, and to capture the whole sense of what was at stake, and Gandalf's role in bringing hope and power for good into the drama. Not that he would have liked Denethor very much, but the ride in, yes, I think he would have liked this.

Thanks again, Alcarcalime. If I could I'd send you some better technology so you could open up the Middle Earth Virtual Travel Agency. You did good!

**goes off humming the Gondor theme...**

Weaver

(This post was edited by weaver on Jun 28 2008, 3:43pm)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 3:43pm

Post #10 of 24 (187 views)
Shortcut
Re: Latin [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Latin. I was just getting average grades in English grammar until I took Latin. Then I started getting "A"s. Latin is such an easy language to diagram sentences that I finally understood what the English teachers wanted!

Yes, Ohio is a ways away from you. If you can get to New York, it is still over 500 miles (don't want to take the time to figure kilometers). OhioHobbit says Ohio is far away from everything!! You know, If there's a bright spot to the universe, we are in the place that it's fartherest from. (really bad paraphrase)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 3:45pm

Post #11 of 24 (170 views)
Shortcut
Gee... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there was a "White Carpet Tours" in Gondor to give tours of Minas Tirith!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2008, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
Some of the pictures: [In reply to] Can't Post

The last two pictures with the statues and the courtyard are from the Extras on the EE of ROTK. I thought they were needed to complete the quote from the book even thought they didn't make it into the movie.

Thank you for the praise, but I was just doing what I felt was right. I had taken on an obligation and had to see it through. Besides, I have a gas efficient car and I got to see my son!

debo
Rohan

Jun 28 2008, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 24 (164 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful pictures- thank you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 29 2008, 7:13am

Post #14 of 24 (166 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

It has never occured to me that you could learn English grammar with Latin. Fascinating. How great it worked for you!

For me, it was different; I was something of a natural in grammar and spelling in my own language (even correcting my German teacher sometimes). And spelling isn't an issue in English, either; the grammar I learned mainly from reading, I think. I'm still re-reading posts more than once, trying to decide if it sounds right Wink

To balance it out, I'm completely, absolutely hopeless in everything to do with numbers. Maths and physics ... *shudder* Made my o-levels with a 1 (the best mark - I think that is your A) in German and a 6 (the worst) in Math Unsure

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 29 2008, 8:26am

Post #15 of 24 (156 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are fantastic pictures.Peter Jackson and his team really did do a superb job.Yes i would love to go on a tour of Minas Tirith.Would`nt it be great if they built like a Middle Earth theme park based on the film.Definately no Disney style rides though,lol.Thanks for posting the pictures. Smile

Forth, Eorlingas!
Forth, Eorlingas

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2008, 11:29am

Post #16 of 24 (156 views)
Shortcut
I think that... [In reply to] Can't Post

it should be more of a living museum kind of thing. There are people dressed as Gondorians who take on the life of someone from Minas Tirith.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2008, 12:22pm

Post #17 of 24 (176 views)
Shortcut
Such amazing artwork on the filmmakers' parts [In reply to] Can't Post

It took unbelievable skill and dedication - not to mention the latest in computer technology - to bring Minas Tirith to life, but they managed it beautifully. I think even the Professor himself would have been awed.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2008, 3:19pm

Post #18 of 24 (124 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I so agree with you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 29 2008, 4:23pm

Post #19 of 24 (136 views)
Shortcut
It's a work of art! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to add another image to the ones you posted. This may be my very favourite view of Minas Tirith:

It's our first view of the city when Gandalf arrives to search the library in FotR. At this point it's not even identified as Minas Tirith, but for me it's exactly the image of the city "blushing faintly in the dawn" that Pippin first sees in the book.

Your second image is also from this time, and I think you can see how much warmer the colours are in these early FotR scenes than they are in RotK. This is the beautiful city that Boromir remembers, with the Tower of Ecthelion glimmering "like a spike of pearl and silver" in the dawn. This is a city that still has hope. It's not yet the magnificent but cold city that we see in RotK, when Boromir is dead, and his father's grief has made him and his city an empty shell.

I'd love to spend some time in Minas Tirith, for sure. Once Aragorn and Arwen settle in, I'm sure it will be as warm and inviting again as it looks in FotR, if not more so. And still just as awe-inspiringly beautiful!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2008, 11:03pm

Post #20 of 24 (128 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you about it.. Minas Tirith -- post Aragorn -- would be a great place to live or visit.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2008, 10:26am

Post #21 of 24 (129 views)
Shortcut
*applause!!* Jackson's Minas Tirith [In reply to] Can't Post

is SO MUCH BETTER than anything I'd ever envisioned. I don't think they could make a bad shot of that stunning city! The miniature is flawless, imho!

One of my all-time favourite moments showing the city is when Gandalf has just charged the Nazgul with Pippin in tow and we follow him on Shadowfax as he wheels around and rides back towards the front gates. It's one of those moments I wait for throughout the films.

And you've included the text that applies to the perfect shots! Thank you SO MUCH! This is AWESOME!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2008, 10:29am

Post #22 of 24 (174 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I also love the miniature. How much fun was that to build?

Nuradar
Rohan

Jun 30 2008, 2:27pm

Post #23 of 24 (111 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Alcarcalime! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent post. The pictures are amazing, and I love the ones you got from the extra features. It's nice to see all the imagery of Minas Tirith in one place like this. Jackson's vision of Minas Tirith is way better than what I had imagined. I sometimes get lost in Tolkien's descriptions, and so I can miss a point here and there. Jackson's interpretation is beautiful, and breath-taking. Go PJ.

Nuradar

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2008, 4:56pm

Post #24 of 24 (143 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Tolkien's descriptions... [In reply to] Can't Post

are easier to follow with PJ's pictures.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.