Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Dancing with the stars

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 20 2007, 11:37am

Post #1 of 24 (193 views)
Shortcut
Dancing with the stars Can't Post

OK - I swear I'm not a complete reality-TV-loser. This is one of those shows I swore I'd never watch. But for some reason last night I watched it for the first time, and I was actually hooked. I don't like Stars -- or Dancing, but I couldn't stop watching the show! Hopefully I'm not the only Tornado who likes this show....

So I think Joey Fatone had the best performance. My wife thinks it's not fair for him to be in the competition, given his background with that synchronized, boy-band, dancing stuff.

Cliff Clavin was a huge surprise. He did shockingly well for an old guy.

How about Laila Ali??? She is beautiful and she danced great!

Billy Ray Cyrus sucked. He was obviously only there to shill his new album (and ringtones). What a loser.

Ian Ziering started off the show with a great number.

Leeza Gibbons basically walked through her dance. I dunno - maybe that's just how that dance goes, but she seemed to be moving way too slow.

Heather Mills is butt ugly. But she danced really well, wooden leg and all.

Apolo what-evah is annoying. I just can't stand his looks.....

Paulina, Shandi and Clyde are forgettable, although Clyde may ride his charming personality for a while, if he can just loosen up and flow a bit more.

Predictions: Cyrus goes home next week.

I think this thing will come down to Laila, Joey, and Ian.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 20 2007, 12:26pm

Post #2 of 24 (130 views)
Shortcut
I don't watch it [In reply to] Can't Post

And I won't with that ... *censors self* extremely unpleasant person Heather Mills on. I could reveal my vicious streak and say how much I want her to fall on her rump, repeatedly, but I won't (because karma's a b- ... an extremely unpleasant person too). But I'm appalled by this pathetic attempt on her part to throw a veil over the evil side she's shown in the divorce.

I'm sorry, you *don't* mess with a Beatle.

Go Cliffy!

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 24 (103 views)
Shortcut
Not a clue about the US version [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love the UK Strictly Come Dancing. My Bloke, who being an Aussie had seen and disliked the Australian version became hooked on our version this past winter. He was as glued as I was.

We had our season wrap up before Christmas. It was brilliant. The final, and the free dance performed by the winners was great.

We have the entire seasons from 2-4 now and I've watched a fair few back since it ended :>

Two clips of our UK winners and their final's dances can be seen on You Tube. Mark Ramprakash (well known crickter) and his professional partner Karen Hardy.

The Freestyle dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxNLaZvDDM

and also their salsa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oii94hMC92k

There were some other great dancers in this most recent series, and the standard was the best its ever been this time. Mind you, the first 3 seasons were also very good, but as each season has come round, the standards just seem to get better.

So glad you are enjoying the new season there. If you enjoy it watching it through, half as much as I enjoyed our most recent series, you'll be in for a treat :)

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 24 (99 views)
Shortcut
Argentine Tango [In reply to] Can't Post

And because I liked it so much, their Argentine Tango from the semi final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjQPbFmYmb8

Its a new dance included this season for the semi's and none of the professionals left in the competition had ever danced it, so it was a learning curve for all the contestants.

Gah, I'm hooked on Strictly, its the one TV programme I never miss! I'll be having to dl the US version and see what its like. The thing is, I don't really know all your 'celebs' and tbh am unsure of even wanting to see the ones I do know dance. I also enjoy watching our hosts. Bruce is a living legend in entertainment here in the UK.

You have Bruno and Len as judges, which is nice. Shame you don't have a fourth judge. Our fourth judge can often be quite harsh but knows his stuff.

And what is it with the results show the night after?!

And what is it with Apolo whathisname and that thing stuck to his face! I'm sure in skating it did nothing for his aerodynamics, his dancing won't be helped either :p

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

What I am listening to

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 20 2007, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 24 (90 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

They really seem to get some B-level celebs on that show here, except maybe the sports stars. Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith are pretty much household names in the US, because they were so successful in football. The most recognizable star this year I'd say is John Ratzenberger. He played Cliff Clavin (the know-it-all mailman) on the old sitcom Cheers, which was one of the most successful and beloved TV shows in US history.

I never heard of that Apolo guy before last night but, just going by his looks, I'd like to slap him into tomorrow. Plus, the kid had the audacity to refer to himself as "one of the best in my sport, ever." You never hear people talk about themselves that way. If you're really great, you know that other people know it, so you let them go around singing your praises.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 20 2007, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 24 (89 views)
Shortcut
Ratzenberger... [In reply to] Can't Post

..also played Major Brin Derlin in The Empire Strkes Back: "There's nothing more we can do tonight. The shield doors must be closed." and later "Okay, everybody to your stations. Let's go!"

Now that's what I call A-list!

The nerds of the many outweigh the nerds of the few.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 6:45pm

Post #7 of 24 (80 views)
Shortcut
I recalled [In reply to] Can't Post

Apolo from the Olympics skating. I thought back then that fuzzy thing stuck to his chin looked like he had a hamster stuck to his face :/

I always think the UK programme has a good mix of people taking part. All are well known, some much more so than others. We have had former Olympic atheletes, Rugby World Cup winner, top class cricketers, well known actors, singers, TV presenters, comedians...

I think we fare better with recognition as our TV viewing is much smaller scale than in the US. BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 reach all TV viewing households in the UK. I'd have no clue if they hauled in someone from the satellite stations. Plus it airs prime time on a Saturday evening here, the dance part and the results. It gets a big audience.

Is the US version done for charity? Monies raised from the phone votes goes to Children In Need here. Works out at least 12pence of every 25 pence call finds its way to charity. Good on the BBC and the well known faces taking part :)

What I am listening to

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 20 2007, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 24 (74 views)
Shortcut
Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

but he *is* one of the best in his sport, ever.
He may be speaking from the insecurity of
past controversy. Dunno.
He's my man in short track speed skating, though!
Pretty on the ice, and kinda cute off it, I think.

But, I know, sometimes he doesn't come off as well as he should.
I didn't see the show last night.
I'd save all my venom for Her [Bleep]ness, Heather Mills.
=)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 7:06pm

Post #9 of 24 (73 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoy the NZ series. [In reply to] Can't Post

The third one will be starting very soon.

Best episode of the two series so far: When former All Black (rugby) hooker Norm Hewitt, the ultimate in Tough Guy, opened the pasa doble with a haka. (He went on to win that series.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 20 2007, 8:22pm

Post #10 of 24 (87 views)
Shortcut
So agree with you, 'Linners [In reply to] Can't Post

I love ballroom dance, studied it myself and like watching the professional competitions on WGBH. My parents loved 'Dancing with the stars' in the UK and I watched a bit with them when I was home and quite enjoyed it - I especially liked seeing Aled Jones and his partner dancing to 'Walking in the air'! BUT I cannot watch Heather Mills. Talk about famous just for being famous! The woman is a money grabbing piece of work and doesn't seem to me ever to have done anything based on her own merit or talent.

Humph. So yeah, I don't want to watch anything with her on it.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 8:35pm

Post #11 of 24 (61 views)
Shortcut
Maybe hope she goes out soon [In reply to] Can't Post

so you and the others who don't like her can start watching :p

What I am listening to

Lurking Girl
Bree

Mar 20 2007, 11:19pm

Post #12 of 24 (49 views)
Shortcut
I'm hooked on the US series. [In reply to] Can't Post

I teach Spanish so one of the other Spanish teachers and I tape it and show the Latin dances to the students for culture. Many of them really get into it. As the season progresses and the dancers loosen up they get much better and it is really enjoyable to watch the dancing. I only watched parts of the first two seasons but watched all of the third season and I feel like I know the professionals as well as I know the celebs on there.

I pretty much agree with your assessment of last night's performances. There's just something about guys named Joey and that show. Joey McIntyre from season one was good and my favorite (finished third) from last season was Joey Lawrence.

The other Spanish teacher and I liked the show so much we attended the tour performance and really loved it. It's exciting now because I've watched the show so much I can tell the dances apart many times just by watching and without having to be told. I'm glad you got to see it and enjoy some of it. I hope you stick with the season because it gets better as it goes.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2007, 5:34pm

Post #13 of 24 (52 views)
Shortcut
"L'audace! L'audace! Et toujours l'audace!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I forget who wrote that.

Did Ohno really say that? That's kind of refreshing, really! Its not audacious if you really are one of the best in your sport ever, and he really is. I just love watching him speed skate, although Ive only ever seen him in the Olympics. Too bad the Koreans cheat. ;o) I dont know if this fascinating sport is even shown on US TV except for in the Olympics, although I havent made a point of looking for it.

Oh, and I don't know much about his personality, but I will say he is a hottie, IMHO (in my hormonal opinion). I don't watch Dancing with the Stars, but I was vaguely curious and gave it a passing thought when I heard he was on.

BTW, I have no idea who Jerry Rice is, and I only know that Emmitt guy because of where I live. ;o)

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 6:43pm

Post #14 of 24 (44 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

BTW, I have no idea who Jerry Rice is,

The only way I would believe that is if you know absolutely nothing of the game of football. And yes I know that applies to about 1 or 2% of the female population in the US, so you must fit squarely in that category.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 6:56pm

Post #15 of 24 (40 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The only way I would believe that is if you know absolutely nothing of the game of football. And yes I know that applies to about 1 or 2% of the female population in the US, so you must fit squarely in that category.

Really... you think 98-99% of US females know something about football? I could take a poll of ALL my female friends and I bet 98% of them have no clue about anything football or who Jerry Rice is. Granted, I run with a slightly counter-culture, wholistic, non-materialistic, folkdancing bunch (not the mainstream, for sure) but I still think your estimates are a little off. :P

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 8:00pm

Post #16 of 24 (34 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Granted, I run with a slightly counter-culture, wholistic, non-materialistic, folkdancing bunch (not the mainstream, for sure)

Exactly.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 8:09pm

Post #17 of 24 (39 views)
Shortcut
there are more us weirdos out there than you think... [In reply to] Can't Post

tread carefully football fan.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 8:12pm

Post #18 of 24 (28 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
tread carefully football fan.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 21 2007, 8:20pm

Post #19 of 24 (31 views)
Shortcut
You got Brendan Cole [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky you. Well almost, as I understand he didn't dance in your show, but was a judge :o The shock and horror and o what you missed. That man and his Latin dancing *sighs*

*ahems and moves on*

What I am listening to

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2007, 10:52pm

Post #20 of 24 (59 views)
Shortcut
I just knew it. I'm a freak. [In reply to] Can't Post

But really, I dont think Im a lonely freak. I work in a department completely made up of women. So I did a scientific poll and went up to each of them and asked if they knew who Jerry Rice was. (Theyre a bunch of accountants so, in contrast to our oneandonlyMagpie, its probable they are a slightly non-counter-culture, anti-wholistic, materialistic, line-dancing bunch.)

Answers:

1. [Long pause] Is he a football player? [I said yes.] I only know that because he was on Dancing with the Stars last season.

2. I know that name from somewhere. Is he an actor? Someone on TV?

3. I know who he his. Hes a football player

4. [The big sports fan of our department] Hes a football player.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 11:18pm

Post #21 of 24 (28 views)
Shortcut
just to show you how weird folk dancing women are... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we wear anklet socks with skirts.

It just don't get weirder than that.

(at least round these parts we do... don't wish to imply any taint of weirdness to the other folkdancing members of this forum)

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 1:52am

Post #22 of 24 (23 views)
Shortcut
The only football player I can name off the top of my head [In reply to] Can't Post

is Ben Rothlisberger.

And I had to ask my husband for the spelling.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 11:13am

Post #23 of 24 (18 views)
Shortcut

#1 - that's OK because you're Brazilian by way of Canadialand.

#2 - get down on your knees and give thanks that you have a good, black and gold bleeding, terrible towel waving, Steeler fan husband!

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 23 2007, 12:59am

Post #24 of 24 (31 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys have way too many sports. You have to remember baseball, basketball, football and hockey players.

I'm more inclined towards hockey (we hear a lot about Sidney Crosby on the news here), except when they start fighting and such.

A friend of mine the other day said "football is chess with sweaty man-pieces".

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.