Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Giddy as the prom queen!

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 5:41am

Post #1 of 10 (154 views)
Shortcut
Giddy as the prom queen! Can't Post

I found this by cruising by AICN.

I am about as excited to see "The Watchmen" begin to prep as a film as I was to see LOTR. No seriously.

The link takes you to a little interview with "300" director Zack/Zach Snyder who will be at the helm.

They talk about LOTR too, if that helps. I might not be able to sleep tonight!

Time for those who haven't read this literature to get on wtih it. 8)

I may even go start "TheOneWatchmen.net" or something.

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 20 2007, 8:29pm

Post #2 of 10 (45 views)
Shortcut
And a very lovely prom queen you'd make too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You already have the crown there in your avatar - now all you need is the sash and the bouquet... Wink

I confess I had no idea what this was but having checked out the Amazon link I'm pretty interested. V for Vendetta and From Hell are great stories - inventive and intriguing (although less successful movies, imho - just not terribly well made in terms of the plot line). If this comes from the same minds I'm sure it must be a strong story too. It sounds fascinating in the Amazon review - I might just have to get hold of it and read it.... And this time I'll try to read the book BEFORE the movie - I keep getting it the wrong way round with movies based on graphic art...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 10:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (30 views)
Shortcut
T-T-Tom Cruise?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gaaaack! We came so close to disaster! Thank goodness he's not going to be involved.

Well, this does sound exciting. I hope they pull it off.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Foe
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 5:36am

Post #4 of 10 (24 views)
Shortcut
You know what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Watchmen. :)

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 5:54am

Post #5 of 10 (38 views)
Shortcut
He is saving himself to play Bilbo Baggins of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

But yea, that would kind of be a complete disaster. There was a pretty interesting casting call over at AICN. I don't know who knows the novel but I loved:

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Night Owl

Brad Pitt/Sean Bean - Ozymandius

Ron Pearlman/Ray Liotta - Comedian

William H. Macey / Sean Penn - Rorschach (but it will go to Steve Buschemi but WOW is that a juicy roll)

And yes, I realize I am talking to myself here but someday TORnados will understand and look up this post as a historical document after the film knocks people off their chairs in theaters.

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 6:03am

Post #6 of 10 (25 views)
Shortcut
From Hell [In reply to] Can't Post

While the movie as a stand alone wasn't a complete disaster (I mean HEY! they cast Heather Graham after all) but when closely compared to the graphic novel, well, it is a sad, poor representation of the depth, research and intelligence of the source.

If you start reading Alan Moore, the guy behind From Hell, Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Saga of the Swamp Thing under NO circumstances are you or anybody else allowed to see A League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen movie without first reading the source material. Such people should be jailed.

It might rank that up there as one of the worst adaptations I know of in the history of film. It shares a seat with Congo.

The graphic novel is a tribute to all the literature of the era while the movie is airplanes falling out of the sky landing on train wrecks while 18-wheel tankers full of fuel cash into the sides.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 6:17am

Post #7 of 10 (27 views)
Shortcut
And a cool link [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a very good "Annotated LOEG" for those who saw the movie and can't comprehend how the graphic novel could rule the earth until the end of days.

It is here.

Greendragon like Moore stuff because he is a Brit, even if she doesn't know it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 7:37pm

Post #8 of 10 (22 views)
Shortcut
Build that site! [In reply to] Can't Post

First thing I thought of what "Thank Goodness Cruise isn't available!!" It would have turned into a 1985 Mission Impossible or something.

Now I have SOMETHING ELSE I have to read!

I love how the internet has let us in on films from conception on... when the creators leave the door open, that is ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 8:46pm

Post #9 of 10 (29 views)
Shortcut
G-Ma [In reply to] Can't Post

I will bring a copy to DragonCon and make you read it if you haven't by then. I really don't know your tastes but this is a good read with something to day. 8)

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

Foe
Lorien

Mar 24 2007, 11:41pm

Post #10 of 10 (26 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Was hoping for a bit more chatter about this.

Oh well, I'll also sing its praises and be happy to try to keep this thread alive as long as possible.

So, anyone want to cast Watchmen?

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.