Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
BBC LOTR Radio Adaptation: Episode II The Black Riders Summary and Thoughts

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 12:43pm

Post #1 of 4 (191 views)
Shortcut
BBC LOTR Radio Adaptation: Episode II The Black Riders Summary and Thoughts Can't Post

Episode II begins with Gandalf's escape from Orthanc with Gwaihir and going to Edoras where he confronts Theoden and then goes and tames Shadowfax. The nine Black Riders led by the Lord of the Nazgul confront Saruman and then Wormtongue and thus discover the location of the Shire. Merry leaves via carts to Crickhollow and Frodo, Sam and Pippin leave Bag End walking/hiking to Crickhollow. The Gaffer confronts a Black Rider and sends him on his way. Frodo, Sam and Pippin make it to Farmer Maggot's and then to Crickhollow where th conspiracy is unmasked. From there they go via the Old Forest to Bree where we meet Barliman and Strider. The episode ends with Merry bursting in and proclaiming he has seen the Black Riders in Bree.

In this episode we meet Merry, Pippin, Farmer Maggot, Barliman, Strider/Aragorn, Wormtongue, Theoden, Gwaihir and Nob.

Before closing, I would like to comment on Aragorn and Sir Robert Stephens portrayal. At first for me, the interpretation comes across harsh at first yet I think that is what they wanted because this is how the Bree folk viewed Rangers, and Strider wanted to uphold that image. Also, Strider felt I think like Barliman that the four hobbits were acting more like on holiday then on a danger mission/quest. For me the turning point at this episode for Aragorn is the laugh in the room, I think we begin to see the character begin to emerge. The farther I get into the adaptation the more I really appreciated Sir Robert's job here. I agree with Idril that the Shakespearean training of Sir Robert brings out a royal dignity to the character that I really enjoy.

Please feel free to add any of your own comments, insights or things we didn't discuss that you would like to.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 15 2008, 8:07pm

Post #2 of 4 (107 views)
Shortcut
The change. [In reply to] Can't Post

About your closing comment....
The change of accent thing is something i noticed and thought about when i first heard the series, before i joined TORN, so i've been interested in your thoughts on this.
In your last thoughts you mention about Aragorn's Image change and say that this is intentional.
Would you say that this includes his accent.
Originally i thought it was , how can i put this ?..... accidental... i suppose.
But now i'm revising my thoughts !
I agree with you about his Shakespearean acting bringing out a good performance as the series goes on!

"Only the guilty dream"... oh dear, i'm DOOMED!!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2008, 11:28pm

Post #3 of 4 (104 views)
Shortcut
One thing I like about Barliman in this episode ... [In reply to] Can't Post

After Strider's told him that the Black Riders come from Mordor, Barliman hesitates for just an instant before promising to help the hobbits. This little pause shows that Barliman has at least some understanding of the danger that he's being placed in -- yet, after only a moment's consideration, he decides to help despite his reservations. A very nice performance by James Grout here, who adds a lot to the character of Barliman!

And a big thank-you to ArathornJax for leading the discussion this week!

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2008, 1:18am

Post #4 of 4 (110 views)
Shortcut
You comment about [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn being more harsh at first being a reflection of how he's perceived helps my acceptance of him a bit. Thank you :)

I think the way each of the characters has been introduced into the story is just as effective as in the text. I still really like Butterbur and Maggot the most in this adaptation.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.