Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
LOTRO Kinship & Server

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 16 2007, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 24 (534 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO Kinship & Server Can't Post

Any plans for a TORN kinship for LOTRO?

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 16 2007, 11:44pm

Post #2 of 24 (236 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent question.

I think mostly our board is not all that familiar with LOTRO and kinships even less. But give it just a little time. Are you in the Beta testing?

Smile

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 16 2007, 11:56pm

Post #3 of 24 (226 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not in beta, I am currently wrapping up my WoW life and wouldn't have time.

Playing in MMORPGS definitely requires a guild of some sort.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 18 2007, 6:05am

Post #4 of 24 (221 views)
Shortcut
I have it on good authority . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

That a lot of this can be played solo but of course a kinship is always better.

There are some plans in the works.

8)

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 18 2007, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 24 (240 views)
Shortcut
Just say no to solo-artistry / massive multiplayer, not my mini - ORPG [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, I have read the same posts that you can grind you way to 45 without grouping with people ever. I have two boxed my way to 60 solo in WoW as well in ~18 days repeatedly. I have no doubt of the accuracy of the author's in LOTRO beta. Seems also that the PvMP content is very group orientated tactically.

Like most other games, if your rolling up a Loremaster, don't count on being able to quest by yourself most of the time. Just as a holy Priest or protection spec Warrior is just such a pain to do.

But if you read the instance guides for LOTRO they are clearly not solo and some are beyond a simple fellowship (do they have a name for their 'raid' content?). Also when you join a fellowship you automatically gain VOIP access with that group, I can only assume that kinships have some sort of passive VOIP options as well.

Even when your in a guild, there is plenty of time to play solo -- like 90% of it. But the ability to /kin Are we going to hit mirkwood tonight? is far greater than /lfg Anyone want to join me for Mirkwood, need 6 more.

In addition with the large variability of crafting in LOTRO the ability to get help from a group of people will likely make some thing actually doable for the 'mega-crafters'. I don't see the solo-artist being able to do much more than gather items and grind his solo content. Special instance Mining Veins and large quest chain pattern rewards for example are likely out of reach. The ability to improve on those patterns or materials will be pushed that much further out.

In Reply To
That a lot of this can be played solo but of course a kinship is always better. There are some plans in the works.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 19 2007, 4:56am

Post #6 of 24 (200 views)
Shortcut
Your experience and wisdom are welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

For those not familiar, large groups join together in such games to help complete quests and also provide social networks. Those playing together must join on the same servers. There are plans in the works to co-ordinate for the users of TORn.

Hpavc knew this already, many of us newbies will not.

Very soon TORn WILL be choosing a server to form its 'Kinship' (guild) on. Turbine tells me it makes no difference at all which we choose but it seems to me it might matter a bit.

The list, as I am sure you know is:

Brandywine
Elendilmir
Gladden
Landroval
Meneldor
Silverlode
Windfola

I think Brandywine, Silverlode and Windfola are right out because two of those are names that mean something personal to a lot of TORn users and Brandywine will be the most used since it sounds so 'familiar' to everybody in the wide world and appears first on the list.

I am told all the servers are around Boston (home of Turbine) so geography doesn't really play a part. I fear 'Gladden' may attract war-like users, or perhaps I over-estimate the familiarity of the name.

So, does anybody see advantages to the four remaining names? Elendilmir, Gladden, Landroval, Meneldor? One of these will be selected (ulitmately by me) as "The official server of TORn community users". Input is appreciated.

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 19 2007, 8:15am

Post #7 of 24 (191 views)
Shortcut
locale [In reply to] Can't Post

Blizzard hosts the WoW servers in a similar physical location, but they use a variety of services to make them appear and act as if they were regional (time zones). So while their servers are location in PST if I lived in EST the EST servers have shorter ping times than the PST servers. In addition peoples in the time zones have lesser queue times for the servers than the people out of those time zones. You can see this quite easily when trying to access Oceanic servers.

I can only assume with all sorts of services similar to WoW like xBox Live and what not that there must be some sort of commercial service Turbine is using or will use to offer the games.

Also most people tend to play the games a timezone offset that is different from their own so they can play at the server's peak hours (6-10 for example) during their own off hours (7-12 for example). It can sort of be annoying starting out on the wrong server especially if they have no server transfers.

I have not seen anything on http://lotro.allakhazam.com/ or http://www.lotrointerface.com/ related to how this is going to pan out. But it does seem like they have some meta information that they save to disk when you login that stores the server list (like brandywine.chi.us.turbine.com, elendirmir.nyc.us.turbine.com - both complete fake, just example) which was how WoW originally was.

In Reply To

I am told all the servers are around Boston (home of Turbine) so geography doesn't really play a part. I fear 'Gladden' may attract war-like users, or perhaps I over-estimate the familiarity of the name.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 19 2007, 10:52pm

Post #8 of 24 (221 views)
Shortcut
I don't really understand much of this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can comment on names! I agree with your comments on Brandywine, Silverlode and Windfola, and with your fears re Gladden. I don't like Landroval as it sounds too much like 'Landrover' - and I don't want to feel like I'm playing from the back seat of a Landrover!! Laugh

Of the remaining two I like 'Elendilmir' better. Somehow 'Meneldor' sounds like a person's name whereas Elendilmir sounds like a place - and a nice, shimmering sort of place at that. So if it comes down to just the name, that's what I would choose. I can't help feeling, however, that there may be other factors as to choice of server - and those factors I probably won't understand much!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Eothain
The Shire

Mar 19 2007, 11:51pm

Post #9 of 24 (194 views)
Shortcut
Hey :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been testing LotRO since Sept 7th 2006 (pre-beta) so maybe I can clear a few things up.

First of all, you most certainly cannot solo your way to level 45. After level 32 you will struggle to find solo content, and even long before you reach that level you will miss out on 90% of the epic storyline & instances if you try it solo. It's best to be in a Kinship after level 15.

Crafting is also something that you will not be able to handle solo. Each crafting 'vocation' has three proffesions and at least one of those proffesions relies on material/items that can only be attained via another crafter. The spirit of friendship/fellowship that is to be found in Tolkiens work is present in the game - you simply need your friends.

Now to a new problem. Turbine/Codemasters announced a few days ago that players from the USA/New Zealand/Australia/Russia will not be able to play on EU servers and vice' versa. Simply put, if you are not a resident then your billing will not be accepted. Full details of this split can be found on Turbines website.

Good luck with the Kinship everyone, It's unlikely I'll see you in game as I'm English & I cant play on US servers. Oh and one more thing, Codemasters (EU servers) will have dedicated roleplay servers, but Turbine (US servers) will not.

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 20 2007, 1:42am

Post #10 of 24 (187 views)
Shortcut
Codeweaver/Turbine International Screwup [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, this hit from the Aussie community is pretty devastating for me personally. A portion of the people I play with everyday are outside of the US. Who in America could I possibly talk F1 with in vent?

Here is an official thread dealing with the 'International Game Access'

http://lotro.turbine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19175

In Reply To
Now to a new problem. Turbine/Codemasters announced a few days ago that players from the USA/New Zealand/Australia/Russia will not be able to play on EU servers and vice' versa. Simply put, if you are not a resident then your billing will not be accepted. Full details of this split can be found on Turbines website.

Good luck with the Kinship everyone, It's unlikely I'll see you in game as I'm English & I cant play on US servers. Oh and one more thing, Codemasters (EU servers) will have dedicated roleplay servers, but Turbine (US servers) will not.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 5:04am

Post #11 of 24 (180 views)
Shortcut
As far as levels go, many will not care [In reply to] Can't Post

A portion of the folks here will not care to level up or be level 35 or anything else. I do wonder if this will disqualify them from wanting to play the game at all or if the social aspects will be a draw.

Either way thanks for your valuable insight. It is most welcome and appreciated!

Eothain
The Shire

Mar 20 2007, 10:09pm

Post #12 of 24 (185 views)
Shortcut
Social [In reply to] Can't Post

The social aspects were a draw for me thats for sure. Even before they announced this split I'd decided to stay on the EU servers simply because they will have a dedicated roleplay server.

The music system in game is brilliant, once you equip an instrument your keyboard is assigned notes, and it's possible to actually compose and play. The Inns all sell a selection of ales, mead & wines of varying strength that do get your char' drunk. There are over nineteen varieties of pipeweed to smoke & some end in animations like Gandalfs 'ship' smoke ring, you can sit in a chair by the fire in the Pony or go to watch your favourite Bard on the Methel stage in the shire & yes you can dance.....yep social is good Smile

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 26 2007, 8:06am

Post #13 of 24 (166 views)
Shortcut
cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, I know plenty of people that hop from server to server on wow during their play time, join us in vent for 30min and then leave for elsewhere and then come back. Not really doing anything serious, but "active" playing. They might raid if there is a slot open and they can be carried by friends if need be to a degree since they are not always on par with the content. Again, I agree.

I can imagine a lot of the game would be partitioned off causing this 'disqualification'. Turbine has a lot of long quest chains and instances to unlock it seems, like wow post the new expansion it seems. Getting in sync as a group, getting people on the same part of the quest, going back and redoing some content steps for someone new, etc. A certain difference in levels between characters and players seems to get a little disconnected. Playing in different areas, monster lethality, etc.

One of the problems with heavy lore games and a high social crowd is that they are already fans of the lore. With or without the game, they can easily leave the game and not loose anything. So the game has to be fun as well and have enough fun draw to get the /played out of it.

In Reply To
A portion of the folks here will not care to level up or be level 35 or anything else. I do wonder if this will disqualify them from wanting to play the game at all or if the social aspects will be a draw.

Either way thanks for your valuable insight. It is most welcome and appreciated!

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 26 2007, 8:10am

Post #14 of 24 (173 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

That is just amazing, do you have any links regarding the instrument play? I have not heard this. Yeah i saw someone blowing smoke in a video and it had a face, it was quite well done.

Is the social/chat system just as it looks? A variety of /slash commands (irc light) and a "buddy" list?

In Reply To
The social aspects were a draw for me thats for sure. Even before they announced this split I'd decided to stay on the EU servers simply because they will have a dedicated roleplay server.

The music system in game is brilliant, once you equip an instrument your keyboard is assigned notes, and it's possible to actually compose and play. The Inns all sell a selection of ales, mead & wines of varying strength that do get your char' drunk. There are over nineteen varieties of pipeweed to smoke & some end in animations like Gandalfs 'ship' smoke ring, you can sit in a chair by the fire in the Pony or go to watch your favourite Bard on the Methel stage in the shire & yes you can dance.....yep social is good Smile

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 26 2007, 8:31am

Post #15 of 24 (181 views)
Shortcut
minstrel play [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, i have found some interesting links as examples of instrument play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAhjWvnXzVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7LMsF1yHY

... pretty cool.

Eothain
The Shire

Mar 28 2007, 10:00am

Post #16 of 24 (158 views)
Shortcut
Video [In reply to] Can't Post

The Guardians Recruitment Video Turbine have been showing this off around the office to visitors, thought you guys might like a look Smile

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 28 2007, 10:14am

Post #17 of 24 (158 views)
Shortcut
video response [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty neat, I cannot wait to check it out .. only 4 more days left on this bit torrent download. The number of seeds have dropped to 5 :(

In Reply To
The Guardians Recruitment Video Turbine have been showing this off around the office to visitors, thought you guys might like a look Smile

CarpeDM
The Shire

Mar 29 2007, 4:02am

Post #18 of 24 (151 views)
Shortcut
International IP Blocking [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to note that Turbine is listening to the complaints and they have removed the IP blocking from the North American servers.

hpavc
The Shire

Mar 29 2007, 4:20am

Post #19 of 24 (154 views)
Shortcut
bt+ [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted a run down of their botched torrent setup with a screen shot of it having only 6 seeds all yesterday with >1800 peers, 18 complete copies with an elapsed time of 6 hours. Most of the seeds were obvious residential people looking at the addresses. I hope that before people push the fresh new car smell cds/dvds into their computer install the game and then have to download a patch that they have this fixed. I know WOW had horrible initial stumbling from this.

Yes a number of my fellow peers are international. The number of people at 0.1 % is pretty big. I think people think the issue is with them and they restart or something. Definitely faster than the straight download client though which a friend of mine is trying.

Still 9 more hours left in my download. Too bad I am not getting ratio credit for all this where I need it.

In Reply To
Just wanted to note that Turbine is listening to the complaints and they have removed the IP blocking from the North American servers.

CarpeDM
The Shire

Mar 30 2007, 3:15am

Post #20 of 24 (146 views)
Shortcut
So Meneldor it is? [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's official, the TORn kinship will be on Meneldor? Is there an application to join or do we just need to message someone?

CarpeDM
The Shire

Apr 1 2007, 1:25am

Post #21 of 24 (140 views)
Shortcut
Kinship Charter [In reply to] Can't Post

MrCere- just FYI, I have proceeded far enough into the game to purchase a kinship charter. I could either start the kinship, or give you the charter so you can start it when you are ready. Just let me know.

Be advised, we need to fill the kinship with 6 members with 24 hours of establishing the kinship or it will be dissolved. If anyone is interested in joining the kinship, I would suggest posting your character name in the LOTRO Player List thread.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 2 2007, 8:34pm

Post #22 of 24 (130 views)
Shortcut
Horray! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that you are ready to start the charter and I don't see any reason for <em>you</em> not to start the charter unless you aren't sure if are going to stick around and play more and if the charter would dissipate if you did leave.

Now, about the 24 hours, we don't want it to dissolve so we better make sure we have six members ready and I am a little vauge on HOW we find you and it in the wide world of Middle-earth. Any suggestions? Any idea what you might call it exactly?

You can go with "TORn" or "TheOneRing" or "Tornados" or something like that. Any ideas?

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

Talon

Apr 3 2007, 12:59am

Post #23 of 24 (135 views)
Shortcut
RE: Horray! [In reply to] Can't Post

All you really need are two people as they can add each others alts (you get 5 character per server). You can also make sure that everyone that joins is made an officer so they can invite people if another TORNado wants to join but the founder isn't online, at least until the Kinship is established. I can lend a couple of alts to the cause, just let me know what character name to look for once you get the charter.

CarpeDM
The Shire

Apr 3 2007, 2:50am

Post #24 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
Kinship Charter [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be happy to create the kinship. I just didn't want to jump ahead if you already has something else planned. I will create it as TheOneRing.

As Talon noted, I will make a number of people officers of the kinship so they can invite others as they join.

Talon- if possible, can you post your alts in the LOTRO Players List thread? This way I can look for you online when I actually execute the kinship charter. I will also create a number of alts to add. However, I want to verify that the requirements are six characters, not six unique players. If we need six unique players, then we may have to wait a bit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.