Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It was the best of times; it was the worst of times; it was the weekly "what've you been reading?" thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 2:51am

Post #26 of 44 (95 views)
Shortcut
The Audacity of Hope and Notes from a Small Island [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to the library alone last night, and came back with as big a stack of books as I could carry, so I can participate in this thread again. The Obama book I actually bought last week, but I got Dreams from my Father at the library. I was surprised it was available for checkout -- I figured I'd have to reserve it. Anyway, he's an excellent writer. I'm alternating chapters with the Bill Bryson book for levity. Levity! The first chapter had me laughing so hard I was afraid I would wake the kids.

Where's Frodo?

Radhruin
Rohan

May 29 2008, 3:30am

Post #27 of 44 (92 views)
Shortcut
The Road [In reply to] Can't Post

by Cormac McCarthy. I loved this book. It was heartbreaking and bleak, but it was also quite moving. The writing style threw me for a loop at first, but I quickly grew comfortable with it, and actually found it rather attractive.

Being that I've apparently been living under a rock, I had no idea that there was a movie being made of this. Now doing a search on TORn, I find loads of news on the film! Whew! Must pay more attention from now on. I happened to see the book on the shelf at Target last week, marked down to $5.00 and decided to try it out on a whim.

I am interested in seeing the book on film. I have a hard time picturing it on the big screen, since it is so very grim. If anyone can pull Papa off, it would be Viggo I suppose.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

Patty
Immortal

May 29 2008, 8:26am

Post #28 of 44 (78 views)
Shortcut
Revie, I just finished My Cousin Rachel, by Du Maurier... [In reply to] Can't Post

have you ever read that? You might enjoy it, although the story is told from a young man's perspective, unlike Jane or the "I" of Rebecca.

And have you ever seen the movie of Rebecca, staring Laurence Olivier as Maxim?

I have to say, I don't recommend the "sequel" to Rebecca, called "Mrs. de Winter" and written by Susan Hill, even though the de Maurier estate chose her to write this story. But you may want to pick it up out of curiosity, now that you've read the main story.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Revie
Rivendell

May 29 2008, 10:28am

Post #29 of 44 (75 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the recommendation [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to see if I can get hold of My Cousin Rachel. I just checked and our library doesn't have a copy. Argh.

I haven't seen the movie, was it good? I love young Laurence Oliver. Wink

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 29 2008, 4:34pm

Post #30 of 44 (96 views)
Shortcut
Sense and Sensibility [In reply to] Can't Post

I highly recommend finishing it. I had trouble the first time around, but finished it. Then I let is sit on the shelf and marinate for a couple of years. I also watched the Emma Thompson adaptation. I found that when I picked up the book again, I was able to enjoy it much more. I think the movie helped me keep track of all the characters, too. It's a little hard to get into reading JA, for me anyway, due to the language. But once I come off of an Austen bender, I seem think and speak like one of her characters! Laugh

If you like Jane Austen, I'd recommend reading the series of "detective" style novels by Stephanie Barron, which are told from Jane's point of view. Jane seems to get mixed up in a lot of intrigue for a clergyman's daughter, but the books are a lot of fun. I also recommend reading them in order, the first one being "Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor".

And welcome to TORn!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Patty
Immortal

May 29 2008, 5:33pm

Post #31 of 44 (70 views)
Shortcut
You've never seen "Rebecca?" [In reply to] Can't Post

you are in for a treat. In won "Best Picture" oscar back in the day, and is an Alfred Hitchcock production. Rent or netfllix it without delay!

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 5:42pm

Post #32 of 44 (66 views)
Shortcut
The Lovely Bones [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, what a depressing book. I'm not sure if I can see the movie now (which is why I originally picked up the book; I like reading the book before seeing the movie).

To give you all a picture of the book (who already don't know what it's about), it starts off with this line: "My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." Yea. Captivating by its first few lines. The book is about how her family, friends, and community deal with her murder, as well as what happens to her murderer.

I can't read more than 50 pages in one go because of the subject matter, and overall it's a pretty sad book. I'm 2/3rds of the way done so I am not yet sure how it ends, but I'll be done by next week. I am both eager and scared to reach the ending. I hope the movie is done tastefully, just like the book was done.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

sherlock
Gondor

May 29 2008, 6:06pm

Post #33 of 44 (64 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I've seen it either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the book years ago and saw another version on TV (it may have been BBC) but that was so long ago I don't remember much about it. I'll have to Netflix them both. BTW, my daughter's named Rebecca but not after the book. I just liked the name.

acheron
Gondor

May 29 2008, 6:32pm

Post #34 of 44 (62 views)
Shortcut
i love bill bryson [In reply to] Can't Post

Notes From a Small Island is great. He has a bunch of other great ones too.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Radhruin
Rohan

May 29 2008, 7:56pm

Post #35 of 44 (66 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is one of my all-time favorites.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 11:11pm

Post #36 of 44 (53 views)
Shortcut
Working on Dreams from my Father [In reply to] Can't Post

and I love it so far. Alternating with my cousin's book, All the Way Home: Building a Family in a Falling-Down House.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 11:19pm

Post #37 of 44 (70 views)
Shortcut
MY COUSIN'S BOOK HAS BEEN PUBLISHED!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the shouting, but we are SO excited. My cousin has written a wonderful book and it was published this week. If you don't live in Ohio, you'll probably have to order it from Amazon, so I've helpfully supplied the link:

http://www.amazon.com/...212102748&sr=8-1

I've read a couple chapters so far, and even though it's impossible for me to be neutral, I love it so far. David writes about his struggle to obain, and then restore, a decayed 1913 Tudor mansion, but he also talks about his fear of losing himself as his family grows, the strains on his marriage, and the regret about the things he missed with his children while he was absorbed in reclaiming the house.

I have been in the house, and it's spectacular. David is a great writer, and I would recommend this book to anyone. BUY IT - NOW!!!!!!! Smile

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Annael
Half-elven

May 30 2008, 3:35am

Post #38 of 44 (51 views)
Shortcut
it sounds wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the customer review on Amazon.com: "If this book had lips, I would kiss it."

How exciting for your cousin. I hope it becomes a best-seller!

[Love] may be merely a device to put us in contact with the mystery, and we long for love to last so that the ecstasy of being near the mystery will last. It is contrary to the nature of mystery to stand still. Yet it's always there, somewhere, a world on the other side of the mirror, a promise in the next pair of eyes that smile at us. We glimpse it when we stand still. . . . When it comes to perpetuating it, however, I got no advice. But I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
- Everything is part of it.
-It's never too later to have a happy childhood.
- Tom Robbins
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30 2008, 3:56am

Post #39 of 44 (50 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks beautiful, and from the reviews it sounds like something special. Congratulations to your cousin!

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 30 2008, 4:40am

Post #40 of 44 (48 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read A Walk in the Woods, The Lost Continent and A Short History of Nearly Everything. Loved 'em all.

Where's Frodo?

Artanis
Rohan

May 30 2008, 8:11am

Post #41 of 44 (71 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is the problem I have..keeping track of the characters! I think I may watch the movie first...that might help me out Blush.

LOL about thinking and speaking like the characters.....I have the same problem when it comes to LOTR....spouting out comments that Gollum or Gandalf says.Laugh

Thankyou for the welcome and book recommendation too.

Artanis

acheron
Gondor

May 30 2008, 2:31pm

Post #42 of 44 (48 views)
Shortcut
bryson [In reply to] Can't Post

I read all those, as well as I'm a Stranger Here Myself. I think A Walk in the Woods was my favorite though.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 30 2008, 3:20pm

Post #43 of 44 (36 views)
Shortcut
That was my favourite too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Bladorthin
The Shire

May 31 2008, 7:04pm

Post #44 of 44 (74 views)
Shortcut
Decent Reading [In reply to] Can't Post

Best book I've read in a long time is War and Peace. Finding "A Song of Ice and Fire" somewhat disappointing. Most Fantasy Literature is. Also, "Mere Christianity" by C.S Lewis was excellent.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to!"

-Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.