Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Discussion of Beowulf to start in May.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 15 2007, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 11 (213 views)
Shortcut
Discussion of Beowulf to start in May. Can't Post

So go get your copy now, if you like, online or at the bookstore. There are free versions available online, and I am not going to designate any one version. I'll lead the discussion myself, unless someone wants to take turns with me, or NZ Strider volunteers to teach us all a thing or two.

After that, who knows. This is a test. I'm making it up as I go along.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 16 2007, 12:26am

Post #2 of 11 (126 views)
Shortcut
Barnes and Noble "Norton" edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I just called my local B&N and they have the "Norton's Critical Edition" of the Heaney translation for $12.00 available in stock at that store. It's on hold for me to pick up this weekend.

With my 25% off coupon, pretty good deal.

Just thought I'd share the knowledge FWIW.

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Moriel
The Shire

Mar 16 2007, 4:05pm

Post #3 of 11 (90 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Anyone know of any good Old English primers? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably use the Heaney edition since I have it, but I may also check out the online translations too for comparison. But since I've got a facing page edition I wouldn't mind learning at the basics of of Old English, too. Grammar and a little vocabulary would be neat to know.

Moriel - the Daughter of the Dark
Serving your wiseacre needs since the blooming of the Trees.

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 5:32pm

Post #4 of 11 (91 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea, Curious: Smile. You lead, I'll follow. (My time these days is strictly limited: Frown) Hah! I have figured out how to use those smilies -- for me, no mean accomplishment.

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 5:35pm

Post #5 of 11 (93 views)
Shortcut
The most anodyne introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

is probably Bruce Mitchell's, An Invitation to Old English and Anglo-Saxon England. London: Blackwell, 1995, ISBN: 0631174362 (pbk).

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 2:20am

Post #6 of 11 (78 views)
Shortcut
Beowulf [In reply to] Can't Post

I am definitely interested in reading/discussing Beowulf. I have the Heaney edition with the OE on the facing page. Might help jumpstart my study of OE as well. I started it several years ago but only got past his fight with Grendel. So, count me in!

_V_
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 5:12am

Post #7 of 11 (61 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read Beowulf in college 2 years ago; it was assigned but I would have read it anyway. I had to write a paper on it as well (short 3 page affair)

Yes, a Beowulf discussion would be great.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2007, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 11 (55 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

We just listened to the audio version of Heaney's translation about a month ago on a car trip.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pukel-man
The Shire

Mar 20 2007, 3:30pm

Post #9 of 11 (59 views)
Shortcut
I'll try to pitch in . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . if I can think of anything to say. I like the Heaney translation, but that's the great thing about a translated text; each time you read it can be a slightly different book.

I have the Norton critical edition mentioned above, and a.s. is in for a treat - the articles are very interesting and the photos are excellent.

Saelind
Lorien

Apr 28 2007, 1:43am

Post #10 of 11 (38 views)
Shortcut
Beowulf [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this still on? May starts next week.

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 28 2007, 8:55am

Post #11 of 11 (79 views)
Shortcut
Yes, although I plan to take it slowly, at least at first. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.