Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Friday, everyone! It's time to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2008, 10:30am

Post #126 of 132 (100 views)
Shortcut
Oh, trust me [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed the avatar and footer pics. I literally shuddered and gasped. Tell her WELL DONE!!! :D

You have a great one, too... sweet Lady :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 24 2008, 12:38pm

Post #127 of 132 (96 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for the chat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for being late, last night I went and saw Indiana Jones 4 (which is an excellent movie I might add). I can't wait for the chat! It's going to be great! Smile

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 24 2008, 2:28pm

Post #128 of 132 (107 views)
Shortcut
Plague warning [In reply to] Can't Post

We visited five cemeteries yesterday, and most of them were very ordinary. But the fifth one was a little surprising. The gate was padlocked, and there was a sign saying "Plague Warning". Inside were huge prairie-dog holes down into the graves, which were grown over with wild irises. We've been there many times before, and it's always been wild, but the lock and warning sign were new. We climbed through the barbed wire and left flowers on my husband's great-grandparents' grave anyway. The hill where the cemetery is is also a holy site for local Native Americans, who do ceremonies there sometimes. Their holy site is a little further up the hill. They had to sue the city to be allowed access, since it's the site of an old mine.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a prairie-dog village tunneling through the graveyard. On the one hand it seems disrespectful, but on the other it seems natural.

Here are some photos (the last one is my husband's great-grandparents' grave):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on May 24 2008, 2:30pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25 2008, 1:02pm

Post #129 of 132 (88 views)
Shortcut
What in the world! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the authorities are so concerned about prairie-dog-borne plague, and I'm assuming they have proof that there's at least one critter there with the disease, then why didn't they destroy those burrows and the animals in them? As if an infectious disease can be confined to a graveyard!

But it's good to see that the stones have remained untouched. I think you have a perfect way to celebrate "Memorial" Day! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Dreamdeer
Valinor

May 25 2008, 6:27pm

Post #130 of 132 (86 views)
Shortcut
Fleas [In reply to] Can't Post

Because destroying the animals only means that the fleas--the real vectors of the disease--have to move on to new hosts--like maybe us. There is no thorough way to destroy the animals and their burrows without the tiny fleas escaping, short of a rather large bomb.

One way of controlling plague in an infected animal population is to place bait where it can only be reached through a tunnel that brushes the animal with flea powder. That's what they do in California, where plague has been endemic for years yet rarely ever reaches human beings, and so far has never gone pneumatic. They flea-dust rodents close to human habitations.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2008, 3:49am

Post #131 of 132 (78 views)
Shortcut
If that's the way to control it [In reply to] Can't Post

then now I'm wondering why they didn't do just that: pour flea powder down the holes! Makes a lot more sense than posting a warning sign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Dreamdeer
Valinor

May 26 2008, 3:56pm

Post #132 of 132 (83 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they did both./ / [In reply to] Can't Post

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.