The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Little Details

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 1 2023, 6:05pm

Post #1 of 9 (7526 views)
Shortcut
The Little Details Can't Post

Most of us here have probably watched the films a *few* times. There are loads of small details that appear upon subsequent viewings. What are some of your favorites?

Leading up to New Years Eve, for ROTK we watched all the films again.

One detail was that Gandalf stores his pipe in his staff. Brilliant.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 2 2023, 4:06am

Post #2 of 9 (7466 views)
Shortcut
For me, it's the grubbiness. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo's bitten nails and the dirt ground into the palms of his hands; the general unkemptness of Aragorn that you can almost smell off the screen; the greasiness of Boromir's unwashed hair - it all adds up to a gritty reality that grounds the fantasy. (Not to mention the occasional broken and half-buried statue that hints to a history that's never referred to.) I really appreciate the effort that went into presenting the story as real events, long forgotten.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Gimli1252
Bree

Jan 3 2023, 2:05pm

Post #3 of 9 (7382 views)
Shortcut
Never cease to amaze me [In reply to] Can't Post

I also did my yearly Hobbit/LotR movie marathon last month and to celebrate the 20th anniversary from the release of TT and the 10th anniversary from AUJ. And after so many years and uncountable viewings still I notice new things in the movies. In this particular viewing I noticed two new things.

In the TT, when Treebeard announces to Merry and Pippin that the Entmoot decided that they are not orcs, you can see another Ent in the background nodding positively and smiling :)

In the RotK, I noticed that Gothmog has a small symbol of the eye of Sauron on his armor. How cool is that? It is like an indication of his rank :0

Another, interesting detail I noticed years ago, is that in the TT when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are searching the pile of orcs to find traces of the hobbits you can see in the background that the Rohirim buried their fallen comrades.

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 3 2023, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 9 (7370 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Junesong
Rohan

Jan 10 2023, 7:36pm

Post #5 of 9 (7167 views)
Shortcut
Argonath birds [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I've always loved the little group of birds that fly off the Argonath as the wide shot goes by.

When we first saw it in theaters, my dad thought that maybe Gollum was up there watching the Fellowship go by and disturbed the birds. Once we saw it at home on DVD a million times we realized that this wasn't the case - but it's still one of my favorite little details! Crazy that they're probably just CGI.

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 10 2023, 10:27pm

Post #6 of 9 (7156 views)
Shortcut
The sound mix for that shot is beautiful too, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

The Doppler effect of the birds flying by, soon followed by the roaring Falls of Rauros.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12 2023, 2:00am

Post #7 of 9 (7107 views)
Shortcut
I second that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit sad when Aragorn discovered Pantene.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 12 2023, 3:21am

Post #8 of 9 (7103 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, me too.

Saruman
Bree

Feb 19 2023, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 9 (6267 views)
Shortcut
Théoden [In reply to] Can't Post

Although they changed King Théoden's age, thus making him blond, I thought it was a superb touch by PJ & co. to introduce him under Saruman's sway, older and white-haired, as we know that in the books the King of Rohan certainly had snow-white hair.

"I have seen it..."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.