Perishing cold in the US...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 23 2022, 10:40am

Post #1 of 28 (580 views)
Shortcut
Perishing cold in the US... Can't Post

I was watching the news last night and the extreme cold battering large parts of the US looks truly threatening - a real taste of Caradhras! I've only ever experienced -15C and that was cold enough. The idea of it being possible to get frostbite in a matter of minutes is very frightening. Stay safe, anyone in the path of this 'bomb cyclone' as they're calling it, and let us know how you're getting on.

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on Dec 23 2022, 10:44am)

Annael
Immortal

Dec 23 2022, 6:12pm

Post #2 of 28 (513 views)
Shortcut
It's passing away here in the NW corner [In reply to] Can't Post

We got down to 10 F (-12 C) two nights ago and there's about half a foot of snow, but this afternoon the temps jump 20 degrees and the rain comes - back to our normal soggy for December. I hate to think of what my heating bill is going to be, even though I wore layers and only heated the room I was in at the time. We got off lightly compared to what others are experiencing - especially those whose homes were not built with freezing temperatures in mind. It's weird to think Texas is colder than we are right now. Stay in, DO NOT DRIVE, and remember to feed the birds!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 23 2022, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 28 (509 views)
Shortcut
-18 f (-28 C) for our low the past two nights [In reply to] Can't Post

with a high of -2 (-19 C) yesterday, and a forecast high of 9 f (-13 C) today. Bus, as I said in the Fiesta thread, Christmas will see a high of about 49 f (9 C), and a forecast high of 56 (13 C) a day or two later.

We always have about a week of *really* cold temperatures right around this time of year (zero-ish f). So we're probably due for a few more days between now and mid-January, but the weather is otherwise so mild for a land-locked location we really can't complain too much. Of course, that doesn't stop us from complaining anyway from time-to-time, like today when I *have* to get out and do some holiday shopping in 9 degree temps when I'd rather stay in my pajamas and watch holiday movies. Angelic

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 23 2022, 6:24pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 23 2022, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 28 (506 views)
Shortcut
I like it. I'm weird. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not for others, and I'm always cold inside and don't like that at all. But I like the challenge it, and like taking good, brisk walks when it's very cold out, and also love the still, clean air, like high in the mountains. It seems profound, somehow, like some deep truth is being imparted.

Comes, I guess, of a childhood walking a mile to school in 5 below (F.) weather, and playing outside in it after school!

So I don't mind for me, but I'm very worried for those who don't have warm indoor places. Frown

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2022, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 28 (506 views)
Shortcut
I have never appreciated more [In reply to] Can't Post

living in an island nation with a temperate climate. Those numbers are insane. (Whenever I hear of weather like this, I'm reminded of the movie The Day After Tomorrow - I might actually watch that again soon.)

Stay safe!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 23 2022, 6:51pm)

Annael
Immortal

Dec 23 2022, 7:13pm

Post #6 of 28 (500 views)
Shortcut
I love the snow smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Spent my youth going to a Mountaineers cabin in the mountains to ski; the place had hardly any heating, especially in the dorms for the girls and boys (separate), We just wore lots of layers and spent all day outside keeping warm either skiing or running about in a mob of kids having snowball fights and building snow forts. Good times. The smell of snow and fir trees is still my favorite thing.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2022, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 28 (500 views)
Shortcut
We're in the thick of it in WNY. [In reply to] Can't Post

The storm hit Buffalo around 8 this morning and isn't likely to let up until Christmas morning. I was supposed to work tonight but the store is closed and I'm not leaving the house unless it's to shovel snow.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 23 2022, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 28 (491 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the snow smell. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the blue shadows on it in the evening.
I don't like it cold inside, although I'm not fond of blazing hot, either. When not moving around, I tend to get very cold at the drop of a hat (not Renaud's, oddly enough), especially my hands, to the point where it's very difficult to practice my violin, or use my hands easily for other reasons, so I probably wouldn't have managed too well inside that lodge.
But outside, yes. Other than the skiing, that's how we all spent our time in my neighborhood, growing up.
I still would like to make snow forts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2022, 12:34am

Post #9 of 28 (488 views)
Shortcut
Yes, feed the birds! [In reply to] Can't Post

We topped off our feeders and suet holders and ground-scatter just before our rain started.

It's a good thing that you have separate heating/cooling controls for each room!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2022, 12:35am

Post #10 of 28 (482 views)
Shortcut
How many feet of snow are you expecting? // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2022, 12:41am

Post #11 of 28 (488 views)
Shortcut
The wind makes it worse [In reply to] Can't Post

-15 isn't so bad and can feel pleasant if it's a sunny day, there's little to no wind, and especially with snow around. But when strong wind hits, the wind chill is bad.

I'm wondering how gramma and other 'sibs in our Midwest are doing, I'm glad she's got a fireplace and plenty of wood!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2022, 2:35am

Post #12 of 28 (489 views)
Shortcut
Mid-Michigan weather is teasing me [In reply to] Can't Post

Yesterday (Thursday) was melting snow and calm wind. About 8pm, the stormy stuff started moving in. About 4am (Friday-today), the wind started gusting to 35mph and the cold temps dropped 15 degrees. By 2pm (I was out shovelling), the temps dropped to 6 degrees F with 55mph wind gusts. Windchill (feels like) -15 degrees F. I've got the fireplace blazing and helping keep the thermostat reasonable.

I can bundle up; but poor Pickle is having a bad time. He won't wear the footies to protect his feet, and the jacket-thingy he hates... so he's having real issues with potty-breaks. His poor feet last about (not exaggerating) 30 seconds. I carry him out and set him down hoping the time cut in walking around will help. So I set down some straw for him to walk on and give him a chance to get some relief. So he's living either on my lap or mostly in his beanbag with the heating pad and Sherpa-like baby blanket.

The extreme cold and high winds are supposed to break overnight, but there's still some snow to come. The wind is really worse than the cold, cuz even with the very little snow we've had, it's blowing to white-out extremes and causing high drifts on the roads (north/south rds). Saturday should be better; but the drifting has still closed a lot of roads and the winds have knocked power out for over a million customers, but I'm surprisingly still lit up!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 24 2022, 9:55am

Post #13 of 28 (477 views)
Shortcut
The special effects [In reply to] Can't Post

in that movie were pretty impressive. Ian Holm featured too - albeit briefly. No happy ending for him! Brrr...

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 24 2022, 9:59am

Post #14 of 28 (484 views)
Shortcut
Back in the 70s [In reply to] Can't Post

I lived in Lesotho for a few years, in a bungalow that definitely wasn't built with freezing temperatures in mind - that was a place of extremes! 30C in the day in summer, plummeting to -15C at night in winter (but bone dry, which made it more bearable). Tin roof, metal-framed single glazed windows, no insulation, one open fire.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 24 2022, 10:01am

Post #15 of 28 (472 views)
Shortcut
There is a stillness [In reply to] Can't Post

that comes with snowfall, everything is muffled. It has a stern beauty.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 24 2022, 10:03am

Post #16 of 28 (471 views)
Shortcut
Stay warm! [In reply to] Can't Post

The economic impact of a storm like this must be considerable, with so many closures, cancellations etc. At least it doesn't seem to be set to last too long.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 24 2022, 10:07am

Post #17 of 28 (471 views)
Shortcut
The windchill is brutal! [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Pickle, though! It must be upsetting for him, and for all animals in this situation; however he's very snug indoors with you and that roaring fire! Glad to hear you still have power.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 24 2022, 2:53pm

Post #18 of 28 (461 views)
Shortcut
Snowfall & High Wind [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How many feet of snow are you expecting?

Not a lot, actually. While we are getting bands of heavy snowfall, it's the high winds that are the big problem. Most of the snow is getting blown away here. Where it is drifting heavily is in the open areas beyond the cities, towns and suburbs.

We're not seeing the 15-foot drifts here in Lackawanna that we had in Orleans County during the Blizzard of '77 (starting within the first hour of that storm!). On the other hand, my mom's house has lost power and she is now with my grand-niece's place for the duration.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 24 2022, 2:58pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 24 2022, 6:43pm

Post #19 of 28 (454 views)
Shortcut
My goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

The indoor smoke alone would drive me out.

I hope you had a very warm sleeping bag!

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 26 2022, 5:53pm

Post #20 of 28 (419 views)
Shortcut
Quite a brutal week! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed SoCal's weather dearly. Around midnight one night I went outside, just to feel how bad it really was. It felt like another planet, with unrelenting wind that was bearable for only a few seconds. Pirate

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 28 2022, 3:40pm

Post #21 of 28 (404 views)
Shortcut
It was so draughty [In reply to] Can't Post

that all the smoke went up the chimney, no problem! It was more of a problem getting any of the heat to stay in the room...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2022, 5:17pm

Post #22 of 28 (395 views)
Shortcut
That was just barely a shelter! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know Lesotho could get that cold! Were you there for a long time?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 29 2022, 12:11am

Post #23 of 28 (387 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy. Either [In reply to] Can't Post

sit inside the chimney and become a smoked sausage, or sit in the house and become a popsicle! Glad neither occurred! ShockedSmile

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 29 2022, 9:54am

Post #24 of 28 (372 views)
Shortcut
It's at around 5000' [In reply to] Can't Post

and way inland, so it's up in the mountains really. Winters are very cold (hence the popularity of the Basotho blanket, Google to see designs), bone dry and sunny, then the winds start stirring up dust storms in August and most rain comes in spring (Sep, Oct, Nov), with thunder etc. Summer is reliably around 30C then it all fizzles out- and dries out - towards autumn. The houses in our little compound were built for the heat, not the cold! I was there four and a half years; my husband had a teaching job there. I never really adapted to the ex-pat lifestyle!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2022, 5:48pm

Post #25 of 28 (359 views)
Shortcut
What an experience! [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked up Basotho blankets, love the amazing designs, and a necessary item for a climate like that! Do you still have one?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.