Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Grabs key & throws open doors* Welcome to Fiesta Friday!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 9 2022, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 27 (527 views)
Shortcut
*Grabs key & throws open doors* Welcome to Fiesta Friday!! Can't Post

Happy Fiesta Everyone!

Our wonderful Altaira is off on an adventure, so I'll be your server for today!!

As the Winter weather is making itself known here in the Northern Hemi, and the Summer weather is embracing the Southern Hemi… how are you all coming along? ;) I hope the weather is being kind wherever you're standing.

Shopping for gifts is in full swing since we've stumbled into December. I hope your lists are getting crossed-off easily and you're actually enjoying the chaos. I've been gathering gifts all year long; but now I have to find them *gulp*. At the worst, they'll be just as gifty next year ;)

THE DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE!!! I've got loads of hot chocolate, tea, cider and all warm potions for our Winter sibbies right here; or some tall cool fruity, beery, and other thirst-quenching drinks also ready to go for our Summer sibbies. And there's eggnog ready for one and all! What can I get ya?

DO TELL how this past week has been for you and what your plans are for the weekend.

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 27 (484 views)
Shortcut
Hot cocoa for me, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

With a generous topping of mini-mallows, thank you, gramma!

We've had some rainy days getting into the 50's (10C), but the coming week will be 40's, and dipping below freezing at night. No snow - yet! I've been writing Christmas cards, and will be mailing parcels this afternoon. Still waiting for some gifts I'm giving to arrive in the mail.

And this is a busy weekend: the local Con Brio chorus has a concert this evening, I'm helping hand out cocoa and cookies at the town's Light Parade (all floats etc. are lit up) tomorrow evening, and Sunday afternoon our community band has its holiday concert (I introduce the pieces, hubby plays euphonium).

Hmm...you didn't put those gifts in your outdoor Hobbit hole, did you, gramma? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 9 2022, 5:55pm

Post #3 of 27 (479 views)
Shortcut
Hot cocoa here as well, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting a bit chilly (for us at least) out here lately, so I'll take all the extra warmth I can get. Smile

A bit of a mixed week, as my girlfriend found out yesterday morning she'd been exposed to someone who ended up testing positive for Covid. The timing stinks as we're supposed to fly back to my hometown early next week...nothing we can do at this point, for better or worse, other than waiting another day so we can start testing and hope that we've dodged it once again and can travel. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, this weekend 'm hoping to finish a book I've been reading for quite sometime and go for some walks.

Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 9 2022, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 27 (479 views)
Shortcut
Festivities all over the place! [In reply to] Can't Post

*loads up* Here ya go! :D

Oh geez, your weekend sounds amazing! Concerts all over the place... and how cool that hubby and you are right up there making it happen for others! That's so much fun! I hope the weather holds mild for you sans rain... then the snow can fall :D

Oh. That hole is the one place I haven't checked yet! *runs outside*

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 9 2022, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 27 (477 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't it figure!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a melty-hot mug full for you. And I'm sprinkling some non-Covid magic on it so you all can dodge this "if figures" threat. I hope you can follow through with your plans and not have to worry about that hidden nasty. Good luck on finishing the book! You don't want to put it down, but the weather is not always going to be walk-inviting! Have a great weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 6:15pm

Post #6 of 27 (474 views)
Shortcut
Puffiness abounds! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, thank 'ee, gramma, now that's many mini mallows!

Yes, this concert will be fun, it even includes a mini-Dickens musical story.

Best of luck, may you find all the carefully-kept presents!

*hugs!*

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 6:18pm

Post #7 of 27 (473 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping that everything keeps being "negative" for the next few days!

Walks when it's cool are the best, the air feels so much cleaner and refreshing. Safe travels next week!

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 9 2022, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 27 (466 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, fingers crossed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And sounds like you have a pleasantly busy weekend in store, snow-free once again! That float parade sounds fun - and break a leg, for your concert!

I just found out we're slated for some rain this weekend in actuality, so these might have to be some strategic walks between stretches of rain. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 9 2022, 6:42pm

Post #9 of 27 (464 views)
Shortcut
Just my luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know it could be worse - we could have just arrived off the plane to hear the news, etc. At least we have an opportunity to test and find out the verdict before getting on the plane.

Hope you can find your presents in time for the festivities! Shocked

Thanks, hope you have a good one too!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 8:17pm

Post #10 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
That sounds a lovely sort of busyness. [In reply to] Can't Post

Concerts and parades, hurrah! It sounds a marvellous weekend - enjoy!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 8:35pm

Post #11 of 27 (461 views)
Shortcut
Hot chocolate in December [In reply to] Can't Post

is not the norm here in God's Own Country, but this week it's rather welcome! The summer weather is still making itself scarce. But we're cozy at home, with no plans to travel any distance before year's end.

I had a checkup at the dentist this week. X-rays showed nothing needed fixing, but once she started poking around with metal thingies she found one of my ancient fillings was crumbling, and needed to be replaced. Luckily for me they had a cancellation on the following day, so I could have it done then rather than waiting a few weeks (the dentist is very busy these days). All fixed, and unnaturally clean teeth.

A hinge broke on our oven door, which seemed like it might be a catastrophe. The oven is a magnificent one (we splashed out at the time) which works perfectly, but it's also well over twenty years old, and there was some doubt over whether the necessary parts were still made. It turned out they are, thank goodness! It would have been tragic to have to replace a whole appliance for the sake of a hinge. Of course that doesn't mean the repair can be done very soon, given supply delays and the busyness of electricians. But the brilliant tech support person for the brand explained how to do a repair that makes it perfectly usable for now. Definitely a two-person job, and not something we'd have been able to figure out on our job, but it's working just fine.

The Christmas tree is up and looking very pretty. I made panforte last weekend, and this weekend I might get on with the mince pies, which will complete the festive baking (fruit cake and stollen already organised). Moussaka for tonight's dinner, and muffins just out of the oven about to be served. For now, the rain may fall and the winds may blow.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 8:37pm

Post #12 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
Drat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingers crossed that she hasn't caught it.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 9 2022, 9:36pm

Post #13 of 27 (458 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Close call! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one for hubby and for you :D

I can't imagine your home WITHOUT a working oven during the holidays! I'm so glad it can be fixed. Trying to replace an appliance like that nowadays is SO expensive and takes SO LONG to find one!

Happy dance on the dentist visit :D Well done on taking such great care of your teef-soldiers!!!

Happy Endings Everywhere :D Have a great weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 9 2022, 9:40pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 9:55pm

Post #14 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
Of all times for that to happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad the techie was able to give you a work-around for the hinge, until a new one can be put in place. But what a job it must have been, to need two to do it!

And now you can spoil your clean teeth on some tasty goodies. Panforte - that's making my mouth water! What kinds of fruits and nuts do you use in it? And I'll try to make it to your home in time for the moussaka...Laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2022, 10:15pm

Post #15 of 27 (456 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we were envisaging [In reply to] Can't Post

Christmas without our slow-cooked lamb and other goodies, and just generally doing without the oven for weeks with so many people on holiday - just about the worst timing. Very grateful indeed to the techie.

I use hazelnuts and almonds, and ginger, pineapple and candied peel, along with generous amounts of spice, inclduing a hint of pepper. Now my mouth's watering! Not to be sampled till Christmas Eve, though.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 10 2022, 10:20am

Post #16 of 27 (432 views)
Shortcut
Well, we finally hit freezing here [In reply to] Can't Post

after a couple of morning frosts; yesterday after sun we had hail, sleet and finally snow in late afternoon. Not a lot, but enough to pretty things up and make a 25 minute drive home take an hour due to all the skiddy compacted slush on the roads. Not nice! This morning is just above freezing, with intermittent sleet. It's definitely hot chocolate weather! I'm busy sewing two patchwork blankets for the grandsons; the pieced tops are done (one with rhinos, one with sloths), now I have to attach a polar fleece backing (in lieu of wadding and backing that you usually use in quilting). That will make them easier to wash - and quicker to finish! It's an indoorsy sort of weekend. Enjoy yours, however you spend it. Cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2022, 1:25pm

Post #17 of 27 (423 views)
Shortcut
You have...snow? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my! I can imagine what a mess that would have been, on the roads, glad you got home safely!

What great presents for the boys. Are they full-size blankets, or throws? And I'm amused that one of them likes sloths - for some odd reason, kids are quite fond of that animal these days.

Yes, definitely hot cocoa weather!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2022, 3:38pm

Post #18 of 27 (418 views)
Shortcut
Pretty to see... nasty to drive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Slushy roads are just as dangerous as icy roads, imho! It's so scary when slush pulls your wheels this way or that! But I'm glad you have enough snowfall to help with the holiday spirit :D

Those boys are so lucky to have such a gifted and loving Grandma! You can never have enough blankets in winter... but these are especially awesome! And I think the fleece backing is perfect for this kind of blanketing ;)

HAVE FUN! And stay warm!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 10 2022, 5:47pm

Post #19 of 27 (407 views)
Shortcut
They're throws really, about 4'6" square [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll be good for when the boys are reading, using laptop etc. They both like sloths, but the younger one ranks rhinos higher - he still has a big squashy rhino as a bed toy.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 10 2022, 5:51pm

Post #20 of 27 (407 views)
Shortcut
We had more snow today - [In reply to] Can't Post

very close to freezing point, so big fat flakes, not the dry powdery stuff you get in colder temperatures. The side roads are really churned up. If it freezes on that, we'll be bouncing around the ruts tomorrow! I've started to pin the fleece to the fabric; will need to make sure it's well smoothed out before fixing the two layers together and binding the edges.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 11 2022, 9:26pm

Post #21 of 27 (315 views)
Shortcut
fingers crossed for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed Fiesta this week as I was attending the doctoral defense of a friend from school - the last person of the 12 of us who made it all the way through the program to complete her PhD. I was also on her committee, as I defended 10 years ago and so was eligible to be her reader. Six of us from the cohort flew or drove in to attend, so it was a wonderful reunion. And she NAILED IT. Excellent talk on how the hero/heroine journeys are now morphing into the "genderless journey." I'd read her dissertation several times, of course, but even so I was writing down phrases from her talk to think about later. For example, "the difficulty of dismantling the very structures you've been struggling to belong to," or "women who are waiting for the perfect man to find them, while the men are out seeking meaning in the world." After she was done and duly anointed as "Doctor," we went out for a great lunch at the place we always hung out at during school, and then to the beach house she'd rented for the night where we hung out by the fire and laughed and chatted and of course had champagne. Next day was a slow start, but we had a great brunch at Jeanine's in Montecito (great hot chocolate) before we all went our various ways. It was a wonderful weekend. And now I must go retrieve my cat from the boarder's.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 11 2022, 9:27pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2022, 10:15pm

Post #22 of 27 (256 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to her! [In reply to] Can't Post

A great achievement, she must feel wonderful to have it completed after so many years - and what a nice, long follow-up party/reunion! (I took a look at the menu at Jeannine's - do they do delivery to New England?)

Does Charlie like his new kitty trees?

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 13 2022, 6:53am

Post #23 of 27 (247 views)
Shortcut
Sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it was an immense comfort for her to have you all there to support. Congrats to the Doctor!

Hope you've had a relaxing week settling back at home. We've tested negative as of tonight, so fingers crossed we can travel.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 13 2022, 3:43pm

Post #24 of 27 (232 views)
Shortcut
*head snap!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa!

"the difficulty of dismantling the very structures you've been struggling to belong to,"

That is so cool! :D Congrats on her long-fought achievement! NAILED IT!

What a magical weekend... and how incredible are all of you for keeping up your sisterhood through all your years?! I mean, it's wonderful that you have each other and your history... where everything each of you experience is inherently understood and appreciated by the others. It keeps you all connected and grounded. I love that!

Times like this feeds your head, heart and soul :) Beautiful!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2022, 6:09am

Post #25 of 27 (221 views)
Shortcut
some goofiness from reddit [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/unexpectedlotr/comments/zm2kri/one_dough_ball_to_rule_them_all/

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.