It's time for some BS!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2022, 2:08pm

Post #1 of 36 (2720 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here are a couple of Book Spoilers that sum up the Bagginsesessss' Quests... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

..."...For, as many songs have since sung, it was the Periannath, the Little People, dwellers in hillsides and meadows, that brought them deliverance.
...For Frodo the Halfling, it is said, at the bidding of Mithrandir took on himself the burden, and alone with his servant he passed through peril and darkness and came at last in Sauron's despite even to Mount Doom; and there into the Fire where it was wrought he cast the Great Ring of Power, and so at last it was unmade and its evil consumed."

AND

From Of the Finding of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue

..."As is told in The Hobbit, there came one day to Bilbo's door and the great Wizard, Gandalf the Grey, and thirteen dwarves with him... ...Thorin Oakenshield, descendant of kings, and his twelve companions in exile. With them he set out, to his own lasting astonishment, on a morning of April... ...on a quest of great treasure, the dwarf-hoards of the Kings under the Mountain, beneath Erebor in Dale, far off in the East. The quest was successful, and the Dragon that guarded the hoard was destroyed. Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history... ...but for an 'accident' by the way. The party was assailed by Orcs in a high pass of the Misty Mountains as they went towards Wilderland; and so it happened that Bilbo was lost for a while in the black orc-mines deep under the mountains, and there, as he groped in vain in the dark, he put his hand on a ring, lying on the floor of a tunnel. He put it in his pocket. It seemed then like mere luck.
...Trying to find his way out, Bilbo went on down to the roots of the mountains, until he could go no further. At the bottom of the tunnel lay a cold lake far from the light, and on an island of rock in the water lived Gollum.... ...He possessed a secret treasure that had come to him long ages ago, when he lived still in the light: a ring of gold that made its wearer invisible. It was the one thing he loved, his 'precious', and he talked to it, even when it was not with him... ....For he kept it hidden safe in a hole on his island, except when he was hunting or spying on the orcs of the mines....
......[After escaping and reuniting with his companions, Bilbo's] account was that Gollum had promised to give him a present, if he won the game; but when Gollum went to fetch it from his island he found the treasure was gone: a magic ring, which had been given to him long ago on his birthday. Bilbo guessed that this was the very ring that he had found, and as he had won the game, it was already his by right. But being in a tight place, he said nothing about it, and made Gollum show him the way out, as a reward instead of a present. This account Bilbo set down in his memoirs...."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 2 2022, 12:59pm

Post #2 of 36 (2594 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a Book Spoiler that tells of the Stones and Tree of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From OF THE RINGS OF POWER AND THE THIRD AGE: The Silmarillion

..."Many treasures and great heirlooms of virtue and wonder the Exiles had brought from Númenor... ...the most renowned were the Seven Stones and the White Tree. The White Tree was grown from the fruit of Nimloth the Fair that stood in the courts of the King at Armenelos in Númenor, ere Sauron burned it; and Nimloth was... ...descended from the Tree of Trion, that was an image of the Eldest of Trees, White Telperion which Yavanna caused to grow in the land of the Valar. The Tree, memorial of the Eldar and of the light of Valinor, was planted in Minas Ithil before the house of Isildur... ...he it was that had saved the fruit from destruction; but the Stones were divided.
...Three Elendil took, and his sons each two. Those of Elendil were set in towers upon Emyn Beraid, and upon Amon Sûl, and in the city of Annúminas... ...his sons were at Minas Ithil and Minas Anor, and at Orthanc and in Osgiliath. Now these Stones had this virtue that those who looked therein might perceive in them things far off, whether in place or in time. For the most part they revealed only things near to another kindred Stone, for the Stones each called to each; but those who possessed great strength of will and of mind might learn to direct their gaze whither they would. Thus the Númenóreans were aware of many things that their enemies wished to conceal, and little escaped their vigilance....
...It is said that the towers of Emyn Beraid were not built indeed by the Exiles of Númenor, but were raised by Gil-galad for Elendil, his friend; and the Seeing Stone of Emyn Beraid was set in Elostirion, the tallest of the towers. Thither Elendil would repair... ...he would gaze out over the sundering seas, when the yearning of exile was upon him; and it is believed that thus he would at whiles see far away even the Tower of Avallónë upon Eressëa, where the Masterstone abode, and yet abides. These stones were gifts of the Eldar to Amandil, father of Elendil, for the comfort of the Faithful of Númenor in their dark days, when the Elves might come no longer to that land under the shadow of Sauron. They were called the Palantíri, those that watch from afar; but all those that were brought to Middle-earth long ago were lost."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 3 2022, 2:40pm

Post #3 of 36 (2584 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of a strategy debate between Frodo and Faramir... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Forbidden Pool: The Two Towers

..."'Frodo, I think you do very unwisely in this,' said Faramir. 'I do not think you should go with this creature. It is wicked.'
... 'No, not altogether wicked,' said Frodo.
... 'Not wholly, perhaps... ...but malice eats it like a canker, and the evil is growing. He will lead you to no good. If you will part with him, I will give him safe-conduct... ...to any point on the borders of Gondor that he may name.'
... 'He would not take it,' said Frodo. 'He would follow after me as he long has done. And I have promised many times to take him under my protection and to go where he led. You would not ask me to break faith with him?'
... 'No... ...But my heart would. For it seems less evil to counsel another man to break troth than to do so oneself, especially if one sees a friend bound unwitting to his own harm. But no—if he will go with you, you must now endure him. But I do not think you are holden to go to Cirith Ungol... ...he has told you less than he knows. That much I perceived clearly in his mind. Do not go to Cirith Ungol!'
... 'Where then shall I go... ...Back to the Black Gate and deliver myself up to the guard? What do you know against this place that makes its name so dreadful?'
... 'Nothing certain,' said Faramir. 'We of Gondor do not ever pass east of the Road in these days, and none of us younger men... ...we know only old report and the rumour of bygone days. But there is some dark terror that dwells in the passes above Minas Morgul. If Cirith Ungol is named, old men and masters of lore will blanch and fall silent....
... ...it seemed empty and was not so, for a shapeless fear lived within the ruined walls. Nine Lords there were, and after the return of their Master... ...they grew strong again. Then the Nine Riders issued forth from the gates of horror, and we could not withstand them. Do not approach their citadel. You will be espied. It is a place of sleepless malice, full of lidless eyes. Do not go that way!'
... 'But where else will you direct me?' said Frodo. 'You cannot yourself... ...guide me to the mountains, nor over them. But over the mountains I am bound, by solemn undertaking to the Council, to find a way or perish in the seeking. And if I turn back, refusing the road in its bitter end, where then shall I go among Elves or Men? Would you have me come to Gondor with this Thing... ...that drove your brother mad with desire? What spell would it work in Minas Tirith? Shall there be two cities of Minas Morgul, grinning at each other across a dead land filled with rottenness?'
... 'I would not have it so...'
... '...Then what would you have me do?'
... 'I know not. Only I would not have you go to death or to torment. And I do not think that Mithrandir would have chosen this way.'
... 'Yet since he is gone, I must take such paths as I can find. And there is no time for long searching,' said Frodo."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2022, 2:47pm

Post #4 of 36 (2541 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 1 of a 2-part Book Spoiler of Ents and Huorns at Helm's Deep… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Road to Isengard: The Two Towers

"At last the company passed through the trees, and found that they had come to the bottom on the Coomb… …As they rode from under the eaves of the wood, Legolas halted and looked back with regret. Then he gave a sudden cry.
'There are eyes! Eyes looking out from the shadows of the boughs! I never saw such eyes before….'
…Legolas started to ride back.
'No, no!' cried Gimli. 'Do as you please in your madness, but let me first get down from this horse! I wish to see no eyes!'
'Stay, Legolas Greenleaf!' said Gandalf. 'Do not go back into the wood, not yet! Now is not your time.'
Even as he spoke, there came forward out of the trees three strange shapes. As tall as trolls… …twelve feet or more in height; their strong bodies, stout as young trees, seemed to be clad with raiment or with hide of close-fitting grey and brown. Their limbs… …long, and their hands had many fingers; their hair was stiff… …their beards grey-green as moss. They gazed out with solemn eyes, but they were not looking at the riders: their eyes were bent northwards. Suddenly they lifted their long hands to their mouths, and sent forth ringing calls, clear as notes of a horn, but more musical and various. The calls were answered… …the riders saw other creatures of the same kind approaching, striding through the grass. They came swiftly from the North, walking like wading herons in their gait, but not in their speed… …their legs in their long paces beat quicker than the heron's wings. "

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 5 2022, 2:49pm

Post #5 of 36 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 2 of a 2-part Book Spoiler of Ents and Huorns at Helm's Deep… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Road to Isengard: The Two Towers

[Seeing other creatures of the same kind approaching, striding through the grass] "…The riders cried aloud in wonder, and some set their hands upon their sword-hilts.
'You need no weapons,' said Gandalf. 'These are but herdsmen. They are not enemies… … they are not concerned with us at all.'
So it seemed to be; for as he spoke the tall creatures, without a glance at the riders, strode into the wood and vanished.
'Herdsmen!' said Théoden. 'Where are their flocks? What are they, Gandalf? For it is plain that to you… …they are not strange.'
'They are the shepherds of the trees,' answered Gandalf. 'Is it so long since you listened to tales by the fireside…? …You have seen Ents, O King, Ents out of Fangorn Forest, which in your tongue you call the Entwood… …to them you are but the passing tale; all the years from Eorl the Young to Théoden the Old are of little count to them; and all the deeds of your house but a small matter.'
The king was silent. 'Ents!' he said at length. 'Out of the shadows of legend I begin a little to understand the marvel of the trees… …I have lived to see strange days. Long we have tended our beasts and our fields, built our houses, wrought our tools, or ridden away to help in the wars of Minas Tirith. And that we called the life of Men, the way of the world. We cared little for what lay beyond the borders of our land. Songs we have that tell of these things… …teaching them only to children, as a careless custom. And now the songs have come down among us out of strange places, and walk visible under the Sun.'
'You should be glad, Théoden King… …For not only the little life of Men is now endangered, but the life also of those things which you have deemed the matter of legend. You are not without allies, even if you know them not.'
'Yet also I should be sad,' said Théoden, 'for however the fortune of war shall go, may it not so end that much that was fair and wonderful shall pass forever out of Middle-earth?'
'It may,' said Gandalf. 'The evil of Sauron cannot be wholly cured, nor made as if it had not been. But to such days we are doomed. Let us now go on with the journey we have begun!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2022, 1:44pm

Post #6 of 36 (2477 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo travel with Beorn along the border of Mirkwood.
(determined from text)

..."[Bilbo] had many hardships and adventures before he got back. The Wild was still the Wild, and there were many other things in it in those days besides goblins; but he was well guided and well guarded—the wizard was with him, and Beorn... ...and he was never in great danger again."

December 6, 3022 (S.R. 1422)
1. Raindrops in Valinor.
(not from the appendices - no text - a drabble)

...One rainy evening, Frodo stood looking out the window, his breath appearing on his reflection, then vanishing. His eyes followed one glimmering drop as it travelled from high on the pane. Its erratic trail occasionally brushed against some drops while coming into full contact with others, but rarely joining. Many drops would hang suspended, unchanged as the one passed by. Sometimes it caught on the glass's texture, then plummeted in freefall without choice but to travel in one direction. Finally, it reached the end and vanished. Frodo's thoughts turned to Sam. "There, but for the grace of you, go I."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2022, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 36 (2473 views)
Shortcut
We wants to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...many hardships and adventures before he got back..." No! Don't leave them out! Tell us all about them! We want more stories about Gandalf and Beorn! Sigh...

I wonder if the window-glass they use in Valinor has special qualities?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2022, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 36 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Fersher! Right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean... talk about a fantastic story! Gandalf, Beorn and Bilbo... each one a story magnet!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2022, 3:22pm

Post #9 of 36 (2435 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 7, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits rest in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices - no text - a drabble)

...Frodo and Sam often enjoyed quiet walks in the Rivendell gardens. Their travel was slow on the days they stopped to investigate flowers of unique colour or scent. Sam would study their manner of growth while Frodo sketched their likeness in his journal. More than once they came upon Bilbo and Gandalf resting on low couches quietly talking. All around them rings of coloured smoke made it appear as if they were at ease in a magical cloud. The hobbits would leave silently not wanting to disturb the old friends, never guessing the elders had done the same for them.

December 7, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire is reborn.
(not from the appendices)

..."The task of hunting out the last remnant of the ruffians was left to Merry and Pippin, and it was soon done. The southern gangs, after hearing the news of the Battle of Bywater, fled out of the land and offered little resistance to the Thain. Before the Year's End the few survivors were rounded up in the woods, and those that surrendered were shown to the borders."

December 7, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire recovers.
(not from the appendices-no text)

...Hobbiton was getting back to normal as it slowly began to look as it once did through the tireless work of the Hobbits. Sam and Rosie lived with Frodo at Bag End in the New Row, and no hobbit was ever looked after better.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 8 2022, 1:46pm

Post #10 of 36 (2387 views)
Shortcut

T'is a Book Spoiler containing some of my favourite Pippin and Sam quotes... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Ring Goes South: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'Regiments of black crows are flying over all the land between the Mountains and the Greyflood,' [Aragorn] said... '...they have passed over Hollin. They are not natives here; they are crebain out of Fangorn and Dunland. I do not know what they are about; possibly there is some trouble away south from which they are fleeing; but I think they are spying out the land. I have also glimpsed many hawks flying high up in the sky... ...we ought to move again this evening. Hollin is no longer wholesome for us: it is being watched.'
...'And... ...so is the Redhorn Gate,' said Gandalf; 'and how we can get over that without being seen, I cannot imagine... ...As for moving a soon as it is dark, I am afraid that you are right.'
...'Luckily our fire made little smoke, and had burned low before the crebain came,' said Aragorn. 'It must be put out and not lit again.'
...'Well if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!' said Pippin. The news; no fire, and a move again by night, had been broken to him, as soon as he woke... .... 'All because of a pack of crows! I had looked forward to a real good meal tonight; something hot.'
...'Well, you can go on looking forward,' said Gandalf. 'There may be many unexpected feasts ahead for you. For myself I should like a pipe to smoke in comfort, and warmer feet.... ...one thing at any rate: it will get warmer as we get south.'
...'Too warm, I shouldn't wonder,' muttered Sam to Frodo. 'But I'm beginning to think it's time we got a sight of that Fiery Mountain, and saw the end of the Road, so to speak. I thought at first that this here Redhorn... ...might be it, till Gimli spoke his piece. A fair jaw-cracker dwarf-language must be!' Maps conveyed nothing to Sam's mind, and all distances in these strange lands seemed so vast that he was quite out of his reckoning."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 9 2022, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 36 (2356 views)
Shortcut

Over the next 4 days, let's have some Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Túrin Turambar: The Silmarillion

..."[When] Túrin was but eight years old...Morwen [his mother] feared greatly that Túrin would be taken from her and enslaved. Therefore it came into her heart to send him away in secret... ...to beg King Thingol to harbour him...
......Morwen sent Túrin forth over the mountains with two aged servants... ...into the kingdom of Doriath. Thus was the fate of Túrin woven...
......Túrin and his companions passing through great perils came at last to the borders of Doriath; and... ...were found by Beleg Strongbow, chief of the marchwardens of King Thingol, who led them to Menegroth...
......Thingol received Túrin, and took him even to his own fostering... ...Thereafter messengers went north to Hithlum, bidding Morwen leave Dor-lómin and return with them to Doriath... ...she would not leave the house in which she had dwelt with Húrin....
...Túrin grew fair and strong in Doriath, but he was marked with sorrow. For nine years he dwelt in Thingol's halls, and... ...his grief grew less; for messengers went at times to Hithlum, and returning they brought better tidings of Morwen and Nienor [his sister]."
...But there came a day when the messengers did not return out of the north, and Thingol would send no more. Then Túrin was filled with fear for his mother and his sister... ...in grimness of heart he went before the King and asked for mail and sword... ...and went out to battle on the marches of Doriath, and became the companion in arms of Beleg Cúthalion...
......when three years had passed, Túrin returned again to Menegroth; but he came from the wild, and was unkempt, and his gear and garments were way-worn...."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2022, 2:00pm

Post #12 of 36 (2302 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the few days, we're looking at some Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...in Doriath... ...high in the counsels of the King; Saeros... ...had long begrudged Túrin the honour he received as Thingol's fosterson; and... ...taunted him, saying:
... 'If the Men of Hithlum are so wild and fell, of what sort are the women of that land? Do they run like deer clad only in their hair?' Then Túrin in great anger took up a drinking-vessel, and cast it at Saeros; and he was grievously hurt....
... ...the next day Saeros waylaid Túrin as he set out... ...to return to the marches; but Túrin overcame him, and set him... ...fleeing in terror before him [and] fell into the chasm of a stream, and his body was broken on a great rock in the water.....

... ....others coming saw what was done... ...Mablung was among them; and he bade Túrin return with him... ...and abide the judgement of the King, seeking his pardon. But Túrin, deeming himself now an outlaw and fearing to be held captive, refused Mablung's bidding, and turned swiftly away... ...into the woods west of Sirion. There he joined himself to a band of such houseless and desperate men as could be found in those evil days lurking in the wild; and... ...turned against all who came in their path, Elves and Men and Orcs.
... But when all that had befallen was told... ...Thingol, the King pardoned Túrin, holding him wronged. In that time Beleg Strongbow returned from the north marches and came to Menegroth... ...and Thingol spoke to Beleg, saying: 'I grieve... ...for I took Húrin's son as my son, and so he shall remain, unless Húrin himself should return out of the shadows to claim his own. I would not have any say that Túrin was driven forth unjustly into the wild, and gladly would I welcome him back; for I loved him well....'
... ...Beleg answered: 'I will seek Túrin until I find him, and I will bring him back to Menegroth, if I can; for I love him also.'
... Then Beleg departed from Menegroth, and far across Beleriand he sought in vain for tidings of Túrin through many perils."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2022, 2:11pm

Post #13 of 36 (2207 views)
Shortcut
It's time for yet more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of two more Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...Túrin abode long among the outlaws, and became their captain; and he named himself Neithan, the Wronged. Very warily they dwelt in the wooded lands... ...but when a year had passed since Túrin fled from Doriath, Beleg came upon their lair by night... ...at that time Túrin was gone from the camp; and the outlaws seized Beleg and bound him, and treated him cruelly, for they feared him as a spy of the King of Doriath...
... ...Túrin returning and seeing what was done, was stricken with remorse for all their evil and lawless deeds; and he released Beleg, and they renewed their friendship... ...Túrin foreswore thenceforward war or plunder against all save the servants of Angband.
... Then Beleg told Túrin of King Thingol's pardon; and... ...sought to persuade him... ...to return with him to Doriath, saying that there was great need of his strength and valour on the north marches of the realm... '...We are needed there.'

... But in the pride of his heart Túrin refused the pardon of the King, and the words of Beleg were of no avail... ...he for his part urged Beleg to remain with him... ...but that Beleg would not do, and he said: 'Hard you are, Túrin, and stubborn... ...If you wish indeed to have the Strongbow beside you, look for me in Dimbar; for thither I shall return.'
... On the next day Beleg set out, and Túrin went with him a bowshot from the camp... '...Is it farewell, then, son of Húrin?' said Beleg. Then Túrin looked out westward... ...he answered: 'You have said, seek me in Dimbar. But I say, seek for me on Amon Rûdh! Else, this is our last farewell.' Then they parted, in friendship, yet in sadness."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 12 2022, 8:52am

Post #14 of 36 (2130 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the last of a group of Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin, but we'll pick up a bit more in a few days... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...Beleg returned... ...coming before Thingol and Melian he told them of all that had befallen, save only of his evil handling by Túrin's companions. Then Thingol sighed, and he said:
... 'What more would Túrin have me do?'
... 'Give me leave, lord,' said Beleg, 'and I will guard him and guide him as I may... ...no man shall say that elven-words are lightly spoken. Nor would I wish to see so great a good run to nothing in the wild.'
... Then Thingol gave Beleg leave to do as he would...'...Beleg Cúthalion! For many deeds you have earned my thanks; but not the least is the finding of my fosterson. At this parting ask for any gift, and I will not deny it to you.'
... 'I ask then for a sword of worth,' said Beleg; 'for the Orcs come now too thick and close for a bow only... ...such blade as I have is no match for their armour.'
... 'Choose from all that I have,' said Thingol, 'save only Aranrúth, my own.'
... ...Beleg chose Anglachel... ...it was so named because it was made of iron that fell from heaven as a blazing star; it would cleave all earth-delved iron. One other sword only in Middle-earth was like to it. That sword does not enter into this tale...
... ...But as Thingol turned the hilt of Anglachel towards Beleg, Melian looked at the blade; and she said: 'There is malice in this sword. The dark heart of the smith still dwells in it. It will not love the hand it serves...'
... '...Nonetheless I will wield it while I may,' said Beleg.
... 'Another gift I will give to you, Cúthalion,' said Melian, 'that shall be your help in the wild, and... ...also of those whom you choose.' And she gave him store of lembas, the waybread of the Elves, wrapped in leaves of silver, and the threads that bound it were sealed at the knots with the seal of the Queen, a wafer of white wax shaped as a single flower of Telperion... ...the keeping and giving of lembas belonged to the Queen alone. In nothing did Melian show greater favour to Túrin than in this gift; for the Eldar had never before allowed Men to use this waybread, and seldom did so again.
...Then Beleg departed with these gifts from Menegroth and went back to the north marches... ...Then in Dimbar the Orcs were driven back, and Anglachel rejoiced to be unsheathed; but when the winter came, and war was stilled, suddenly his companions missed Beleg, and he returned to them no more...
......Beleg parted from the outlaws and returned into Doriath"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 13 2022, 2:49pm

Post #15 of 36 (2074 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

December 13, 2013
1. The Desolation of Smaug.

...The U.S. release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Here's a Book Spoiler of a typical quiet night in Lake-town... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Fire and Water: The Hobbit

..."The men of the lake-town Esgaroth were mostly indoors, for the breeze was from the black East and chill, but a few were walking on the quays, and watching, as they were fond of doing, the stars shine out from the smooth patches of the lake as they opened in the sky. From their town the Lonely Mountain was mostly screened by the low hills at the far end of the lake, through a gap in which the Running River came down from the North. Only its high peak could they see in clear weather, and they looked seldom at it, for it was ominous and drear… …Now it was lost and gone, blotted in the dark.
...Suddenly it flickered back to view; a brief glow touched it and faded.
..."Look!" said one. "The lights again! Last night the watchmen saw them start and fade from midnight until dawn. Something is happening up there."
..."Perhaps the King under the Mountain is forging gold… …It is long since we went north. It is time the songs began to prove themselves again."
..."Which king?" said another with a grim voice. "As like as not it is the marauding fire of the Dragon, the only king under the Mountain we have ever known."
... "You are always foreboding gloomy things!... …Anything from floods to poisoned fish. Think of something cheerful!"
...Then suddenly a great light appeared in the low place in the hills and the northern end of the lake turned golden. "The King beneath the Mountain!" they shouted. "His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running gold from the Mountain!" they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.
...There was once more a tremendous excitement and enthusiasm. But the grim-voiced fellow ran hotfoot to the Master. "The dragon is coming or I am a fool!" he cried. "Cut the bridges! To arms! To arms!""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 15 2022, 2:18am

Post #16 of 36 (2008 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 14, 2012
1. An Unexpected Journey.

... The U.S. release and premier of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Here's a Book Spoiler of Bilbo's Tookish side trying to take over… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... [Gandalf moves things forward] "Now Bilbo, my boy, fetch the lamp, and let's have a little light on this!"
... On this table in the light of a big lamp with a red shade he spread a piece of parchment rather like a map.
... "This was made by Thror, your grandfather, Thorin," [Gandalf] said in answer to the dwarves' excited questions. "It is a plan of the Mountain..."
... "...There is one point that you haven't noticed," said the wizard, "and that is the secret entrance. You see that rune on the West side, and the hand pointing to it from the other runes?* That marks a hidden passage to the Lower Halls... ...But in what way this one has been hidden we don't know without going to see... ...with the map went a key, a small and curious key. Here it is!" he said, and handed to Thorin a key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver. "Keep it safe!"
... "Indeed I will," said Thorin... "...Now things begin to look more hopeful... ...We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake.... ...and so to the ruins of Dale—the old town in the valley there, under the shadow of the Mountain...."
... "That would be no good," said the wizard, "not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found... ...That is why I settled on burglary—especially when I remembered the existence of a Side-door. And here is our little Bilbo Baggins, the burglar, the chosen and selected burglar. So now let's get on and make some plans."
... "Very well then," said Thorin, "supposing the burglar-expert gives us some ideas or suggestions." He turned with mock-politeness to Bilbo....
... ...feeling all confused and a bit shaky inside [Bilbo] still Tookishly determined to go on with things... "...I should like it all plain and clear," said he obstinately, putting on his business manner (usually reserved for people who tried to borrow money off him), and doing his best to appear wise and prudent and professional and live up to Gandalf's recommendation. "Also I should like to know about risks, out-of-pocket expenses, time required and remuneration, and so forth"—by which he meant: "What am I going to get out of it? and am I going to come back alive?""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 15 2022, 2:31am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 15 2022, 1:25pm

Post #17 of 36 (1977 views)
Shortcut

This is a Book Spoiler I wanted to share just because of the wonderful descriptions... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Last Debate: The Return of the King

..."'Aragorn was driven by fear that time was too short.
...'"It is forty leagues and two from Pelargir to the landings at the Harlond," he said. "Yet to the Harlond we must come tomorrow or fail utterly."
...'The oars were now wielded by free men... ...yet slowly we passed up the Great River, for we strove against its stream, and though that is not swift down in the South, we had no help of wind. Heavy would my heart have been... ...if Legolas had not laughed suddenly.
...'"Up with your beard, Durin's son!" he said. "For thus is it spoken: oft hope is born, when all is forlorn." But what hope he saw from afar he would not tell. When night came it did not deepen the darkness, and our hearts were hot, for away in the north we saw a red glow... ...and Aragorn said: "Minas Tirith is burning."
...'But at midnight hope was indeed born anew. Seacrafty men of the Ethir gazing southward spoke of a change coming with a fresh wind from the Sea. Long ere day the masted ships hoisted sail, and our speed grew, until dawn whitened the foam at our prows. And so it was... ...that we came in the third hour of the morning with a fair wind and the Sun unveiled, and we unfurled the great standard in battle. It was a great day and a great hour, whatever may come after.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2022, 12:00pm

Post #18 of 36 (1931 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 16, 2941 (S.R. 1342)
1. Travelling around Mirkwood.
(determined from text-no text)

...Gandalf, Bilbo and Beorn continue travelling around the border of Mirkwood after leaving the Lonely Mountain. They chose to skirt the Forest along the northern edge of the waste and not to journey through Mirkwood as Bilbo and the Dwarves attempted before. Bilbo wondered why Beorn planned to travel north instead of following the old forest path encouraged by the Elvenking... though he was glad to be with them on this journey.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 17 2022, 1:28pm

Post #19 of 36 (1882 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 17, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Scouts return from searching the lands.

..."The hobbits had been nearly two months in the House of Elrond, and November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when the scouts began to return....
...In no region had the messengers discovered any signs or tidings of the Riders or other servants of the Enemy. Even from the Eagles of the Misty Mountains they had learned no fresh news. Nothing had been seen or heard of Gollum... ...Three of the black horses had been found at once drowned in the flooded Ford. On the rocks of the rapids below it searchers discovered the bodies of five more, and also a long black cloak, slashed and tattered. Of the Black Riders no other trace was to be seen, and nowhere was their presence to be felt. It seemed that they had vanished from the North.
...'Eight out of the Nine are accounted for at least,' said Gandalf. 'It is rash to be too sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Mordor, empty and shapeless... ...it will be some time before they can begin the hunt again. Of course the Enemy has other servants, but they will have to journey all the way to the borders of Rivendell before they can pick up our trail. And if we are careful that will be hard to find. But we must delay no longer.'"

December 17, 2003
1. The Return of the King.

...The U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

December 17, 2014
1. The Battle of Five Armies.

...The U.S. release of The Hobbit: The Battle of [the] Five Armies.

The Return of the King
The Return of the King
The Return of the King
Boxoffice Mojo for RotK

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2022, 12:41pm

Post #20 of 36 (1833 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time had come for planning.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)

..."Elrond summoned the hobbits to him. He looked gravely at Frodo. 'The time has come... ...If the Ring is to set out, it must go soon. But those who go with it must not count on their errand being aided by war or force. They must pass into the domain of the Enemy far from aid. Do you still hold to your word, Frodo, that you will be the Ring-bearer?'
...'I do,' said Frodo. 'I will go with Sam.'
...'Then I cannot help you much, not even with counsel... ...I can foresee very little of your road; and how your task is to be achieved I do not know. The Shadow has crept now to the feet of the Mountains, and draws nigh even to the borders of the Greyflood; and under the Shadow all is dark to me. You will meet many foes, some open, and some disguised; and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it. I will send out messages, such as I can contrive, to those whom I know in the wide world....
...'...And I will choose you companions to go with you, as far as they will or fortune allows. The number must be few, since your hope is in speed and secrecy. Had I a host of Elves in armour of the Elder Days, it would avail little, save to arouse the power of Mordor.
...'The Company of the Ring shall be Nine... ...the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil. With you and your faithful servant, Gandalf will go for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.
...'For the rest, they shall represent the other Free Peoples of the World: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Legolas shall be for the Elves; and Gimli son of Glóin for the Dwarves. They are willing to go at least to the passes of the Mountains, and maybe beyond. For men you shall have Aragorn son of Arathorn, for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely.'
...'Strider!' cried Frodo.
...'Yes,' he said with a smile. 'I ask leave once again to be your companion, Frodo.'
...'I would have begged you to come,... ...only I thought you were going to Minas Tirith with Boromir.'
...'I am,' said Aragorn. 'And the Sword-that-was-Broken shall be re-forged ere I set out to war. But your road and our road lie together for many hundreds of miles. Therefore Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.'
...'There remains two more to be found... ...These I will consider. Of my household I may find some that it seems good to me to send.'
...'But that will leave no place for us!' cried Pippin in dismay. 'We don't want to be left behind. We want to go with Frodo.'
...'That is because you do not understand and cannot imagine what lies ahead,' said Elrond.
...'Neither does Frodo,' said Gandalf, unexpectedly supporting Pippin. 'Nor do any of us see clearly. It is true that if these hobbits understood the danger, they would not dare to go. But they would still wish to go, or wish that they dared, and be shamed and unhappy. I think... ...that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you choose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him.'
...'You speak gravely,' said Elrond, 'but I am in doubt. The Shire, I forebode, is not free now from peril; and these two I had thought to send back there as messengers, to do what they could, according to the fashion of their country, to warn the people of their danger... ...I judge that the younger of these two, Peregrin Took, should remain. My heart is against his going.'
...'Then, Master Elrond, you will have to lock me in prison, or send me home tied in a sack,' said Pippin, 'For otherwise I shall follow the Company.'
...'Let it be so then. You shall go,' said Elrond, and he sighed. 'Now the tale of Nine is filled.'"

December 18, 2002
1. The Two Towers.

...The U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

December 18, 2022
1. The Two Towers.

...Today marks the 20th Anniversary of the U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers!! A film that continues the story of the kindred and creatures of Middle-earth and the War of the Ring. Peter Jackson's adaptation of part 2 of the -part story of The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastic tale, is shared with the world.

The Two Towers
The Two Towers
The Two Towers
Boxoffice Mojo for Two Towers

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 19 2022, 9:47pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2022, 4:13pm

Post #21 of 36 (1751 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 19, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Sam home in the Shire.

..."All things now went well, with hope always of becoming still better; and Sam was as busy and as full of delight as even a hobbit could wish. Nothing for him marred that whole year, except for some vague anxiety about his master."

December 19, 2001
1. The Fellowship of the Ring.

...The U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring!!

December 19, 2021
1. The Fellowship of the Ring.

...Today marks the 20th Anniversary of the U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring!!

...A film depicting events within the world of Middle-earth and its various kindred and creatures. The ultimate story of good versus evil, Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastic tale is released on the world.
...Little did they know what was about to be unleashed. A small, remote, peaceful realm that caused the powerful to look up and the citizenry everywhere to find hope and refuge. Whether you want to call it Middle-earth or New Zealand is up to you... it's an incredible journey for faithful readers and a discovery for the masses.

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Argonath
The Ring-bearer

Boxoffice Mojo for FotR

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2022, 4:00pm

Post #22 of 36 (1733 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Bag End is restored.

..."...One of the first things done in Hobbiton, before even the removal of the new mill, was the clearing of the Hill and Bag End, and the restoration of Bagshot Row. The front of the new sand-pit was all levelled and made into a large sheltered garden... ...new holes were dug in the southward face, back into the Hill, and they were lined with brick. The Gaffer was restored to Number Three; and he said often and did not care who heard it:
...'It's an ill wind as blows nobody no good, as I always say. And All's well as ends Better!'
...There was some discussion of the name that the new row should be given. Battle Gardens was thought of, or Better Smials. But after a while in sensible hobbit-fashion it was just called New Row. It was a purely Bywater joke to refer to it as Sharkey's End."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2022, 11:31am

Post #23 of 36 (1719 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship prepares to depart.

..."The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun... ...above them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West."

December 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire is reborn.

..."...the labour of repair went on apace, and Sam was kept very busy. Hobbits can work like bees when the mood and the need comes to them. Now there were thousands of willing hands of all ages, from the small but nimble... ...hobbit lads and lasses to the well-worn and horny ones of the gaffers and gammers. Before Yule not a brick was left standing of the new Shirriff-houses or of anything... ...built by 'Sharkey's Men'; but the bricks were used to repair many an old hole, to make it snugger and drier. Great stores of goods and food, and beer, were found that had been hidden away... ...in sheds and barns and deserted holes..."

December 21, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The Shire is back to normal... for some.
(not from the appendices-no text)

...Rosie watches Sam as he quietly leads in the renewal of the Shire, tends to their gardens outside the windows of Bag End, and delights in play with baby Elanor. But she also sees him as he stands still in the garden resting heavily against his hoe looking to the distant west beyond the mountains and across the sea.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2022, 2:09pm

Post #24 of 36 (1699 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 22, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits relax before departing.

..."In those last days the hobbits sat together in the evening in the Hall of Fire, and there among many tales they heard told in full the lay of Beren and Lúthien and the winning of the Great Jewel; but in the day, while Merry and Pippin were out and about, Frodo and Sam were to be found with Bilbo in his own small room. Then Bilbo would read passages from his book... ...or scraps of his verses, or would take notes of Frodo's adventures."

December 22, 2000
1. Principal photography ends.

......Principal photography for Peter Jackson's 3-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's saga The Lord of the Rings is completed. After nearly 3 months of cast preparation in swordplay, boating, dancing and dialect coaching, concurrent filming for the 3-part story began on October 11, 1999 and was finished on December 22, 2000. However, it was not the end of photography as there were "pick up" shots before each subsequent film's release. For an average of 6 weeks each year, "pick ups" were shot from 2001 through 2004...after Return of the King's 11-Oscar Award sweep on February 29, 2004 for a total of 17 Oscar Awards won for the trilogy.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 23 2022, 1:23pm

Post #25 of 36 (1694 views)
Shortcut
TIME - pre-December 24– [In reply to] Can't Post

Tomorrow in Middle-earth

The 24th has quite a long post as Bilbo and Frodo have one more quiet visit. So I'm offering it in 2 parts. Here's the first as...

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.1
1. The time has almost come to depart.

..."On the morning of the last day Frodo was alone with Bilbo, and the old hobbit pulled out from under his bed a wooden box. He lifted the lid and fumbled inside.
...'Here is your sword.... ...But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe, but I've forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don't you know?'
...He took from the box a small sword in an old shabby leather scabbard. Then he drew it, and its polished and well-tended blade glittered suddenly, cold and bright. 'This is Sting,' he said, and thrust it with little effort deep into a wooden beam. 'Take it... ...I shan't want it again, I expect.'
...Frodo accepted it gratefully.
...'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice... ...harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal.
...'It's a pretty thing, isn't it?' said Bilbo, moving it in the light. 'And useful. It is my dwarf-mail that Thorin gave me. I got it back from Michel Delving... ...and packed it with my luggage. I brought all the mementoes of my Journey away with me, except the Ring. But I did not expect to use this, and I don't need it now, except to look at sometimes. You hardly feel any weight when you put it on.'
...'I should look—well, I don't think I should look right in it,' said Frodo.
...'Just what I said myself... ...But never mind about looks. You can wear it under your outer clothes. Come on! You must share this secret with me. Don't tell anybody else! But I should feel happier if I knew you were wearing it. I have a fancy it would turn even the knives of the Black Riders,' he ended in a low voice.
...'Very well, I will take it,' said Frodo. Bilbo put it on him, and fastened Sting upon the glittering belt; and then Frodo put over the top his old weather-stained breeches, tunic, and jacket.
...'Just a plain hobbit you look... ...But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!' He turned away and looked out of the window, trying to hum a tune."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.