The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Law, Government, and Society in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Works

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 26 2022, 12:48am

Post #1 of 6 (4015 views)
Shortcut
Law, Government, and Society in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Works Can't Post

Here is my review of José María Miranda Boto's fine book Law, Government, and Society in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Works.

https://scholar.valpo.edu/...search/vol15/iss1/7/

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

squire
Half-elven

Nov 26 2022, 1:52am

Post #2 of 6 (4000 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you, I am most surprised that he deliberately omitted several episodes from History of Middle-earth that distinctly relate to Tolkien's thoughts about the roles of law and lawyers in his Middle-earth.

You did not comment on it, but it seemed to me that the final section about Tolkien's real-life interactions with the legal system were, say, irrelevant to a book that is titled Law, Government, and Society in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Works. If it was relevant, in your opinion, I would have liked to have learned how and why.

Finally, for all the thoroughness of Miranda Boto's book and its sources, and your play-by-play review or coverage of his many approaches, I remained at a loss at the end of the article. How is this book's subject the best way to approach, in Shippey's generous words, "the core of Tolkien’s thought and his philosophy”? That is, what is Miranda Boto's actual thesis or point about how Tolkien depicts legal structures and processes in his legendarium? And why is that thesis possibly the best way of understanding Tolkien's worldview?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 26 2022, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 6 (3934 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry that my review did not successfully convey why I agreed with Shippey's view of the book (though to be fair, what I actually said was that he was "not far from the mark"). Perhaps at some point you will get a chance to read the book and see whether you agree!

As for the appendix, while I agree that the topic of Tolkien's real life interactions with the legal world are not directly relevant to the topic of the book, I still found it interesting and illuminating.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Asger
Rivendell

Nov 27 2022, 8:14am

Post #4 of 6 (3847 views)
Shortcut
Great review! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the book as a gift for my brother, who is a lawyer (retired) and I of course read it first. I agree with you that the texts from HoME a sorely missed, but even as a layman i enjoyed the book.
I’m looking forward to my brothers comments…

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

(This post was edited by Asger on Nov 27 2022, 8:19am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 27 2022, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 6 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both my review, and the book itself. I'll be curious to hear what your brother thinks about the book.

The Hall of Fire

Felagund
Rohan

Nov 30 2022, 12:10am

Post #6 of 6 (3714 views)
Shortcut
many thanks for posting your review :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.