Come join us! Fiesta Friday is here!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 25 2022, 5:17pm

Post #1 of 43 (419 views)
Shortcut
Come join us! Fiesta Friday is here! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone. Come in and make yourselves comfy!

This is the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S., and a unique Fiesta for me in that I actually remembered that it's Friday! I've been known in the past to completely forget to do Fiesta the day after Thanksgiving, Blush so I give thanks that I remembered. Laugh

It's also Black Friday today, supposedly the day that helps all retailers end the year 'in the black' instead of 'in the red.' Of course, much like other holidays, Black Friday has moved up with 'Early Black Friday' sales appearing everywhere this week, so it's been more like 'Black Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday *and* Friday.' In the end its a win/win situation with more deals for the buyers and more sales for the sellers.

The buffet is stocked with yummy Thanksgiving treats including tender turkey, sweet potato (kumera) casserole, mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and the most delectable looking desserts like pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie. The bar is also well-stocked, as usual, so order up your favorite drink, pile your buffet plate high (then pile it high again for dessert), and let us know how you're doing!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us something that gets you into the holiday (and/or buying) spirit!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone! HeartLaughHeart

Annael
Immortal

Nov 25 2022, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 43 (363 views)
Shortcut
Just coffee, please [In reply to] Can't Post

I had Thanksgiving by myself which was actually quite delightful, and cooked only the things I like: a turkey breast with roasted-in-the-pan vegies, gravy that I made in the pan as my mama taught me, homemade cranberry relish, and a pumpkin pie. I'll be eating leftovers for days and today the turkey bones go in a pot for stock. Today I plan on eating salad.

But I'll put whipped cream on my coffee . . . no point in being overly ascetic!

I'm doing one Black Friday thing: an organization I belong to is offering a one-day half-off price on their yearly membership, so I'm taking advantage of that. Otherwise, I've got everything I need.

So instead of shopping, today I will be dragging out all my boxes & bags of Christmas decorations. As my parents had their own extensive supplies, it's been years since I've seen most of mine. Looking forward to putting my treasures around the place, like my Santa collection. Also looking forward to seeing everyone else in my "court" - our units face each other - get in the spirit. A couple of the units are already sparkling but I expect this weekend will see some serious decorating.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 25 2022, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 43 (358 views)
Shortcut
Yummy dinner! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dinner sounds delectable! Glad you enjoyed your solo Thanksgiving, and how fun will it be as you take each of your Santas and other things out of their boxes and decide on the perfect place to put them.

Here's some nice, hot coffee with whipped cream (and extra whipped cream for those pumpkin pie leftovers later).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2022, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 43 (364 views)
Shortcut
Black Friday, the day to stay home! [In reply to] Can't Post

And clean up from the big meal yesterday - and start eating the leftovers! It was just hubby, son, and me this year, so we had a very small turkey (but with enough leftovers for sandwiches and soup), but I made a mess with the marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes and cornbread stuffing.

So I'll take a slice of this luscious no-calorie pumpkin cheesecake, thank you, Altaira, and a mug of coffee with a spoonful of cocoa mix stirred in. Sweet!

Holiday spirit, eh? Here's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKlEkKXBzQ - hours and hours of vintage store Chrismas music! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2022, 6:41pm

Post #5 of 43 (358 views)
Shortcut
A perfect one-person meal! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how you had roasted veggies in with the turkey.

You'll have lots of fun going through all your decorations and getting them set up, I hope you find some great "lost treasures"!

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 25 2022, 6:59pm

Post #6 of 43 (360 views)
Shortcut
Vintage Christmas music! [In reply to] Can't Post

That brings back memories and makes me want to dig out our Christmas CDs with collections of oldies but goodies by performers like Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole.

It's amazing how even a small bird can feed people for days. My brother buys relatively small turkeys in order for them to fit into the deep fryer, but the plates are still piled high. They usually do two so they can send lots of leftovers home with us, and I've learned to bring some nice, big tupperware containers to help the cause.

Swiss Miss and coffee, coming up! Have a fabulous weekend! Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 25 2022, 7:40pm

Post #7 of 43 (361 views)
Shortcut
Thanksgiving Fiesta greetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I type, England is playing the USA in the World Cup.<meep> I wonder who'll be giving thanks by the end of the evening? My living space looks like an explosion in a wool shop tonight - bags and piles of tree wraps, tree collars, lamp-post collars and pom-poms ready to be put up around out local shops tomorrow and Sunday (not just by me, five other people are helping!) in time for the 'big switch-on' of Christmas lights on Wednesday. Then there's a charity stall our knitting group is having at an event on 4th - after which I'll be able to get my tidy house back and will bring my own Christmas decorations down out of the loft to make a mess all over again! Just thinking about all that is enough to give me an appetite for the virtual buffet, but I'm already nibbling on real-life potato chips. Black Friday has passed me by; my festive shopping is nearly all done now. As for music, I guess it'd have to be 'Pennies from Heaven'! That'd solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it? Yeesh, I'm such a dinosaur... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pELxwTp7gk

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 26 2022, 12:49pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 25 2022, 7:51pm

Post #8 of 43 (357 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

An explosion in a wool shop? Too funny. I'm impressed that you can keep it all so organized. And, isn't it a blessing that you're not allergic to wool? Angelic

We're watching the soccer too, having a lazy start to our day after the festivities of yesterday. So far, half-time and no score. I'm feeling a craving for some leftovers coming on!

Enjoy the wooley weekend!

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 26 2022, 12:48am

Post #9 of 43 (347 views)
Shortcut
A lovely buffet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving yourself, Altaira!

We had a nice dinner with my girlfriend's family (both sides) last night, which ended, as it often does, with some singing and dancing. And tonight we're back at it with most of her cousins, except we're going to a really nice restaurant in the city. Last night an older cousin revealed she's pregnant, so we'll have an extra reason to celebrate tonight!

Since we're still in the "buying random things" phase of settling into our new apartment, I actually did indulge in a Black Friday purchase of a new TV for a really good price. The one we have in the living room is just way too small, so I figured a killer deal is a solid way to justify getting a replacement. We have one or two trips left to both of our old places to wrap things up, but otherwise we've got all of our things here, moved in.

Tomorrow a friend who's back visiting her family will be joining us at a local arts & crafts festival. Hoping to find some funky art for the new place!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2022, 12:38pm

Post #10 of 43 (316 views)
Shortcut
That's very generous of him! [In reply to] Can't Post

Making sure you've plenty of "planned-overs" to take home! Smile

I love hearing those "old-timers" like Crosby and Cole. They're "soft" on the ears.

Enjoy your weekend, too! I think there's more snow coming your way!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2022, 12:54pm

Post #11 of 43 (318 views)
Shortcut
They...tied? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked!

Oh my, I can just imagine what your house looked like with all those soft ornaments filling it - I hope you're having good weather for getting them all put around the town!

Wow, I have never heard that version of "Pennies from Heaven" before, that's a nice wake-up for my Saturday morning here! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2022, 1:03pm

Post #12 of 43 (316 views)
Shortcut
You're celebrating in style! [In reply to] Can't Post

And dancing to work off the effects of the meals - perfect! Her family sounds like a fun bunch.

Oh good, glad you were able to snag a good TV. And have plenty of time to move in. Does the new place feel like "home" now? And were you able to find some art for it?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2022, 3:29pm

Post #13 of 43 (313 views)
Shortcut
Leftovers are the BEST! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to help myself to some of your cheesecake... THANK YOU! :D

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! We've had some VERY mild weather for the past weekend, and it's supposed to get up to about 50 degrees today (Saturday), so I'm on my way outside with the chainsaw... eyeballing a tree that fell in a storm a couple of years ago.

My local daughter and I are having Thanksgiving later today (diverted from Thursday), so I'll be taking the pumpkin pie and banana cream pie I made with me.

No big shopping going on with my family. We vowed over 15 years ago not to spend on each other... focusing rather on the youngsters. Well, the youngsters are all growed up, but we are still in situations and distances that makes life easier not to go nuts with gifting. Cards are the thing :D

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a non-stressed holiday season! Thanks for taking such great care of us Altaira :D I've been double-checking the days, too ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2022, 3:46pm

Post #14 of 43 (310 views)
Shortcut
Giving thanks for a peaceful day :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You and I had the same type of quiet day. I had a small turkey, stuffing, homemade applesauce, corn, taters, etc. The BLT (bacon, lettuce, turkey) toasted sandwich the next day is what I was really aiming at! ;)

I'm so glad you're settled in enough to know where your decorations are and that they'll be adorning your new home... making even homier. Especially the treasures you haven't seen for quite a while.

Enjoy your weekend... including your new project :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2022, 4:04pm

Post #15 of 43 (314 views)
Shortcut
See! Simple is a good thing :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You've had many big gatherings recently, so this was a good day to keep it simple. Dinner isn't ready at my house until the smoke alarm goes off ;)

I don't do shopping on Black Friday, either. I'm looking at getting a new laptop or desk top computer to celebrate paying off the house, and now is when I'd have the best chance of a "good deal." But I'm going to get a re-furbished whatever from a local computer store belonging to a young man and his wife/young children. This way I can afford both forms of computer. He's also right here to help me set up the puters the way I like. He's been doing repairs for me for several years when he was working out of his home.

I hope you have a restful weekend before heading back to work. Oh... and THANKS for the musak! Reminds me of another reason to avoid the stores ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2022, 4:26pm

Post #16 of 43 (312 views)
Shortcut
Wooly Bully [In reply to] Can't Post

What funů. Really!... to be getting all of that ready to distribute! Your fellow knitters are so lucky to have you able to store all of that, organize it, and get it distributed. While it creates a lot of chaos in your home, what it brings to the community and all of you as a fellowship makes it so magical! CONGRATS!!!

I hope you have a fabulous time and that the weather is kind to you all during your distribution.

Wooly Bully by Sam the Sham and the Pharahos.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2022, 4:34pm

Post #17 of 43 (311 views)
Shortcut
Good food, good gatherings, good news! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful holiday!! :D

I'm so glad you were able to find a good deal on a tv and that you're having fun nesting. Getting the "old" places settled will be a huge achievement and things can start settling down. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and good luck on the art hunt :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 26 2022, 8:52pm

Post #18 of 43 (300 views)
Shortcut
Five of us did the first session [In reply to] Can't Post

in the village this morning. Three are quite new to the group and were delighted when people stopped to chat and say how much they enjoyed our displays! We finished just ahead of the rain today and tomorrow looks to be dry,so it's all going well so far! I had to look up the lyrics to 'Woolly Bully' to make any sense out of it. Apparently saying 'woolly bully for you' meant someone had done well, which I'd not heard of - then I remembered that we used to say, slightly sarcastically, 'well, bully for you' when someone had something good that we resented or were jealous about! Funny how things come back to you. Now I know where it came from!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 26 2022, 8:55pm

Post #19 of 43 (296 views)
Shortcut
Well, we mostly knit with acrylic [In reply to] Can't Post

as things are going to be outdoors a lot, so it's not a problem. I can't wear wool next to my skin, it makes me itch, which is a shame as I love the traditional Welsh (check out Trefriw woollen mills) and Scottish (Harris) tweeds.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 26 2022, 9:01pm

Post #20 of 43 (296 views)
Shortcut
Grrr... on behalf of both teams! [In reply to] Can't Post

A 0-0 draw is very unsatisfying. I really feel for Wales actually - if they don't beat England (fat chance - and yet, who knows?!) they're out, and they've approached it all with such fervour. They have a belter of a national anthem too!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2022, 1:01am

Post #21 of 43 (290 views)
Shortcut
What an image that makes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma heading out with a chainsaw - there's no stopping that gal! Laugh Were you able to cut up some good firewood?

Banana cream pie for Thanksgiving, now that's a new one to me! Do you use all banana pudding, or put a little layer of chocolate pudding on the bottom?

I hope you had a fun time with your daughter! Did her kitty get plenty of turkey leftovers?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2022, 1:09am

Post #22 of 43 (290 views)
Shortcut
Smoke alarm! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's a well-done turkey! Laugh

Local computer geeks are gold. And he'll make sure you've got the best security software! Does he do Mac, PC, or both?

We did a thorough house-cleaning, then started putting up the holiday decorations. Today son and I made a batch of my braided-bread dough, then had fun twisting it into other shapes (mostly all sizes of donuts and infinity loops) and experimented with turning the vanilla frosting into chocolate or strawberry (with sprinkles). Just like being kids again!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2022, 2:03am

Post #23 of 43 (295 views)
Shortcut
That (virtual) food sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when it results in leftovers - my favourite meal :)

More rain here, with the odd few hours of mere drizzle. We did manage to have a small bonfire of the orchard prunings that weren't worth gathering for firewood or mulching. With everything so damp, there was no chance of the fire (which of course we watched carefully) spreading. It's been thoroughly extinguished since.

Gramma's mention of her chainsaw reminded me of an event earlier this week. We had a lot of fallen trees in our recent storms, so Mr Kimi went out to deal with one and get a few trailer loads of firewood. Our old chainsaw recently needed what would have been expensive repairs, so we took the hint and got a nice, new battery-powered one. It's really nice to use. When I was reading up the pros and cons, I saw one problem mentioned: with no need to top up petrol, it's easy to forget to check the chain oil. Guess what happened...

Fortunately our local hardware store had the replacement chain, and it wasn't overly expensive. And Mr Kimi has vowed to check the chain oil every time he charges the battery.

Another thing I did between downpours was to gather some elderflowers, and I now have a batch of Elderflower Fizz on the go. The taste of spring (and early summer - it's almost December, after all).

The weekend is almost over here, but I hope it was/is a pleasant one for all.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Nov 27 2022, 2:08am)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2022, 10:01am

Post #24 of 43 (277 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to catching up [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been mildly under the weather, and cold weather makes it worse, so a vicious circle ...
Wishing everyone the best!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2022, 10:49am

Post #25 of 43 (266 views)
Shortcut
So true! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

My response was very simplistic as I thought about all the wooly things that were made... and that song the way they sang it always makes me smile. It's just fun to listen to :D

Wink DEFINITELY A "WELL DONE!" *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.