The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
“LotR most useless heroic sacrifice still bugs fans”

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 23, 11:51am

Post #1 of 4 (395 views)
Shortcut
“LotR most useless heroic sacrifice still bugs fans” Can't Post

I came across this article and thought you lovely people might enjoy getting annoyed at it with me…

https://startefacts.com/...still-bugs-fans_a123

Apparently this bugs fans? Or does it just bug this guy?

DGHCaretaker
Lorien

Nov 23, 4:48pm

Post #2 of 4 (381 views)
Shortcut
Death Becomes Him [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I came across this article and thought you lovely people might enjoy getting annoyed at it with me…

https://startefacts.com/...still-bugs-fans_a123

Apparently this bugs fans? Or does it just bug this guy?

First I've heard. The reasoning is a bit tortured, as it was a great scene, gave Boromir an honorable redemption, and was perhaps the best of Sean Bean's countless death's - certainly better than even Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye. I am not annoyed.

I'm more impressed that Indiana Jones was pointless in Raider's of the Lost Arc.

squire
Half-elven

Nov 23, 9:14pm

Post #3 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut
The controversy seems a little made-up, without more supporting information. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish he was a little clearer on who is speaking for the 'fans' in the italicized arguments he provides.

In the end Bentley himself seems to be arguing back to the italics, giving us the most generally accepted reason for Boromir's sacrifice and death: that it redeems Boromir from the crime of falling to the Ring's temptation, so that he dies without sin. I don't think that comes across as clearly in the film as in the book, and of course in the film Boromir is portrayed more charismatically than he is in the book, so the film character has what I'd call a much larger fan base to complain that he didn't need to die in the story. Bentley doesn't distinguish whether he is discussing fan reaction to the book or to the film.

Bentley also suggests that Boromir's fall (not death) was necessary to separate Frodo and Sam from the Company, thus protecting the Ring from any further attempts on it by the powerful folk in the Company, or those that the Company meets in its later adventures. That's a pretty common take on the plot-twist, I believe.

When I saw the headline I assumed the 'most useless heroic sacrifice' was a reference to the final battle ("a diversion!") at the gates of Mordor!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Nov 24, 12:19am

Post #4 of 4 (354 views)
Shortcut
New to me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't recall ever hearing anyone offer these criticisms, whether they consider themselves fans of LOTR or not. I think squire pretty much covered all the bases here. The film version of Boromir's death, in particular, is in my experience one of the most widely beloved scenes in the Jackson trilogy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.