The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Where are the rest of the Palantiri?

Junesong
Rohan

Nov 17 2022, 3:14pm

Post #1 of 3 (436 views)
Shortcut
Where are the rest of the Palantiri? Can't Post

First of all - help me out. Does Tolkien say there were only 7 seeing stones created? Or was it only 7 left at the time of the Third Age?

Assuming there's 7 in Middle Earth at the time of ROP - where do you think they are? We know one is in Tar Palantir's tower in Numenor. We know where some of them will end up once the Numenorian exiles arrive in ME - but where do we guess they are now?

Do we know when Sauron first acquired one? Was it when he took Minas Ithil? Or Osgiliath?

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 17 2022, 7:21pm

Post #2 of 3 (417 views)
Shortcut
Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not with my books but my recollection is :

1) The implication is there were more than Eight, the master stone being in the far west.

2) They (seven) were given to the faithful to look West and were rescued from the downfall and taken to M.E. by Elendil.

Elendil placed them in several locations in Arnor and Gondor and the Ithil Stone came into Sauron's possession when Minus Ithil was sacked. The Osgiliath Palantir which I recall the Anor and Ithil stones were closest to was lost.

Rings Of Power

The stone in Miriel's possession is obviously an important plot device and is shaping Miriels behavior. She is now blind and her confidant is Elendil and his daughter has seen into it. The implication of the latter is the daughter is unaware of them.

We also have the mother's voice driving Isildur and the other son has yet to appear. I suspect we will find over time Elendlil's story will grow and deepen and the other Palantir may emerge out of that. In the first season, the scrolls and ancient histories just emerged when Galadriel rode West with Elendil, that was really quite a revelation. I think there may be other secrets that will emerge including the stones. Not all will be used but the audience will be made aware the seven exist.

Later on, we may see several of them used for both storytelling, in canon, and to tie in with the movies which the producers are rather fond of. Wink

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

InTheChair
Rohan

Nov 18 2022, 6:05pm

Post #3 of 3 (353 views)
Shortcut
By the time RoP takes place the seven stones ought to be [In reply to] Can't Post

all in Numenor, though I am not sure if Miriel or Pharazon would have had one.

Like previous poster my memory is also that the stones, either seven or more were given as gifts to the Faithful Numenoreans by the Eldar of Valinor.

To my knowledge the Eldar in Middle-earth had none at this point.

Then at the downfall of Numenor, Isildur brings the seven with him to Middle-earth. If there were more than seven in Numenor they would have been lost in the downfall.

Though as always with Tolkien there may perhaps be some alternative take where some of the stones had a different career.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Nov 18 2022, 6:06pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.