Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I'd like to share an old memory or two with y'all ...

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 1:39pm

Post #1 of 15 (1094 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to share an old memory or two with y'all ... Can't Post

Wayyyy back in 2002, a bunch of us got together for the Barliman's Bash in Seattle, Washington, USA. I took a lot of pix. I was just looking at them again, and wanted to show them to you. I got to know these people through the Barliman's chat room here on TORn, and if you go and hang out there, you too could wind up having this much fun some day!! :)

http://pounce.skew.org/barlibash2002/

Also on this site (which is my real personal site, but hasn't been updated in forever) I have a whole lot of LOTR selections as ruined by the Google translator ...

http://pounce.skew.org/...mistranslations.html

Enjoy!

Chance favours the prepared mind.
http://simulflow.vox.com

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 15 (931 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's actually a birthday mathom or two ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed the 10 minute edit/delete window ... anyways, it is indeed my birthday - March 15th - the day Aragorn shows up on the ships of the Corsairs to save the day on the Pelennor Fields!

Chance favours the prepared mind.
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 3:33pm

Post #3 of 15 (931 views)
Shortcut
I remember most of those nicks [In reply to] Can't Post

Brings back some memories.

Most of those people moved on from the TORn chat ages back. I stopped seeing lots of those nicks a few years ago. I know of a couple still chatting there and there are also a few of the ops from over the years who remain of course. It dropped off once the films were done and dusted more so. Mind you, I stopped opping and left the TORn server over a year ago now, and things have no doubt changed again! New nicks and people chatting I am sure. And chances are new people going to Bash this year :)

I hope those who you met at Bash, wherever they may have gone are happy and well.

Looks like a good time was had by all that year. Nice to see some familair faces anyways :) Thanks for sharing.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 15 2007, 4:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (930 views)
Shortcut
Oh... Happy Birthday!!! :) There's Balin and his conspirators... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, friends :) These are awesome pictures, luinfalathiel... wonderful!

You guys look like you won the place! I hope you're having a wonderful birthday... with PLENTY of Ice Cream!!!

HUGS!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 15 (917 views)
Shortcut
Happy B-day, Lú!... [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 15 2007, 4:59pm

Post #6 of 15 (938 views)
Shortcut
Have a (hope you had a [wioll haven be]) happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

Laugh

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

• Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

dernwyn
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15 2007, 6:51pm

Post #7 of 15 (903 views)
    Shortcut
    Many Happy Returns, luin! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for the pics (and funny lines) - your "blast from the past"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

Aunt Dora Baggins
    Immortal

Mar 15 2007, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 15 (906 views)
    Shortcut
    "Is not it a bare Ranger!" *hee hee!* [In reply to] Can't Post

A very happy birthday to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
    Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
    and some other stuff I wrote...
    leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
    Superuser

Mar 16 2007, 4:06am

Post #9 of 15 (888 views)
    Shortcut
    Happy Birthday, luin!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what was more entertaining: the pics, or the filenames you gave the pics. Laugh It's great to put some new faces to names, and to see some well-loved and familiar faces too.

Thanks and I hope your birthday was extra special! Smile

*bug hugs!*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerlinn
    Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 12:45pm

Post #10 of 15 (883 views)
    Shortcut
    Happy birthday, luin! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Ginger
    Rohan

Mar 16 2007, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 15 (884 views)
    Shortcut
    Happy belated birthday luinfalathiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

*note to self*
    Learn new boards. "Sticky" is not an admonishment to a tornsib named Sticky.

Arwen's daughter
    Half-elven

Mar 16 2007, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 15 (874 views)
    Shortcut
    Happy Belated Birthday!! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

silneldor
    Half-elven

Mar 16 2007, 6:40pm

Post #13 of 15 (883 views)
    Shortcut
    Your links are locking up inside. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to click outside the box to get out. NurtzUnsure

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

The magnificent beech

silneldor
    Half-elven

Mar 16 2007, 6:45pm

Post #14 of 15 (896 views)
    Shortcut
    A very Happy Birthday to you luinfalathiel. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a great day.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

The magnificent beech

Finding Frodo
    Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2007, 4:38am

Post #15 of 15 (889 views)
    Shortcut
    Lucky Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun translations -- thanks for posting!

Where's Frodo?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.