Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Do you think that cirdan and some of the characters are in battles even though their names are not mentioned?

Nowë Círdan

Oct 6 2022, 2:12am

Post #1 of 4 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Do you think that cirdan and some of the characters are in battles even though their names are not mentioned? Can't Post

As you all know, one of the issues that Tolkien does not dwell on is which character is in which wars. For example, have you ever thought that although cirdan is not mentioned, he may have fought in nirnaeth arnoediad and war of wrath? I think it probably existed. Because 5000 falas elves participated in the battle of nirnaeth arnoediad. The same is true of glorfindel and ecthelion. Although their names are not mentioned, I think both glorfindel and ecthelion may have fought in the battle of lammoth and dagor aglareb. because turgon was present in these wars. It is not written that maedhros and maglor fought in War of Wrath. But I think they may have fought. Have you ever assumed that these characters or other characters might have participated in some wars even though their names were not mentioned?

Asger
Rivendell

Oct 6 2022, 2:16pm

Post #2 of 4 (3125 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan I guess not… [In reply to] Can't Post

He must have had his hands full with logistics of the host pf the Valar and supplies coming from Valinor in WoWrath. In Nirnaeth he might have been leading the Falas-elves.
Glorfindel and Ecthelion were surely with Turgon in his battles.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

InTheChair
Rohan

Oct 23 2022, 1:33pm

Post #3 of 4 (2430 views)
Shortcut
In the case of Cirdan I think he has been mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

At least for the Last Alliance, where I think Elrond says something like, and by Isidur stood only Cirdan and I.

Cirdan must have also been involved in the sieges of Brithombar and Eglarest.

It's possible he also went to other battles, though he is rarely mentioned in the text and so doesn't seem as warlike and aggressive as some of the other Eldarin rulers.

Felagund
Rohan

Oct 23 2022, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 4 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Círdan in action [In reply to] Can't Post

As Asger and InTheChair have already said, Círdan must have been active in various battles and sieges in the First Age, despite the disparaging remark of Túrin in the Narn, "What does Círdan know of our wars, who dwell nigh of the Enemy?". For example (all references are from The Sil):

• During Morgoth's first invasion of Beleriand, prior to the Flight of the Noldor, Círdan and Thingol are cut off from each other, and Círdan gets bottled up in Eglarest, and was "driven... to the rim of the sea." ['Of the Sindar']

• Círdan was once again "beleaguered in the Havens of the Falas" by Morgoth's forces, and later relieved by the victorious Noldor, in the wake of the Dagor-nuin-Giliath. ['Of the Return of the Noldor']

• The Falas were on the offensive against Morgoth's armies in relief of Fingon on the plains of Hithlum, having shipped and disembarked at the Firth of Drengist. It isn't stated whether Círdan was present though.['Of the Ruin of Beleriand']

• Círdan was present during the ruin of the Havens of the Falas, with both Brithombar and Eglarest falling to sieges in the wake of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.['Of the Fifth Battle']

• As InTheChair mentioned, Círdan was a participant in the War of the Last Alliance. There is no mention of him that I can find in the earlier War of the Elves and Sauron but given its existential nature, it's possible he was in the field or at least ferrying Gil-galad's forces around, if not part of the last ditch defence at the River Lhûn.

One military deed of Círdan that I had all but forgotten was his actions during the dying days of the wars of the Witch-king against the remnants of the Kingdom of Arnor, as per:

"The Círdan summoned all who would come to him, from Lindon or Arnor, and when all was ready the host crossed the Lune and marched north to challenge the Witch-king of Angmar" ['Appendix A', LotR]

What ensues is the utter defeat of the Witch-king's forces near Fornost. Most of the action is centred on Eärnur's confrontation with the Witch-king but it is Círdan who marshals this 'Host of the West' and marches it inland from the Grey Havens. Círdan may have been on the defensive in many of his battles in the First Age but the Second and Third Ages did see him depart from his Havens and enter the field.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.