Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Inspiration

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2007, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 8 (568 views)
Shortcut
Inspiration Can't Post

One thing I love about LOTR, is that quotes from the movie can make you feel so much better about life, death specifically. For example, Gandalf's speech in ROTK, (view my signature) is one quote that can make you feel so great inside. . .for me anyways. I also love Arwen's quote: "I'd rather face this age with one, than so many more alone". (Something like that, can't remember exactly). There's a lot more that I just can't think of, but the main point is, The Lord of the Rings is probably my biggest inspiration on life. Has it inspired you?

"Death is just another pathway. . .one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 15 2007, 3:58pm

Post #2 of 8 (416 views)
Shortcut
yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the films are kind of a nice "short cut" to getting in touch with the comforting and inspiring messages of the book, because I can relate them to one specific line of dialog or screencap image.

The one I'm currently finding most helpful is Gandalf's line about "all you have to decide is what to do with the time given to you." Thinking about the line helps me to focus on what "I" can do in situations that feel overwhelming, or where too much is happening beyond my ability to directly control or influence things.

That was a line from the book that I had completely overlooked, so it was a rather nice suprise to me to have it be lifted out by the films and have a spotlight shown on it as they did.

You're asking good questions around here -- keep it up!

Weaver

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 6:47pm

Post #3 of 8 (411 views)
Shortcut
mine is another of Gandalf's lines.. [In reply to] Can't Post

'All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you'

-e_H-
(I think thats the quote!)

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2007, 7:49pm

Post #4 of 8 (400 views)
Shortcut
another one [In reply to] Can't Post

it may not inspire you, or make you feel good, but a line that really makes you "accept" death is Elrond's: "Whether by the sword, or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die."

"Death is just another pathway. . .one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

ringhead91
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 2:23am

Post #5 of 8 (387 views)
Shortcut
exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I changed the sounds on my computer to lines from the movies and right now, when I turn it on, I have one of Galadriel's lines ("Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.") and just hearing it brightens up my day.

I think that one of the thinks that Tolkien was wisest about was death and accepting death and, in the movies, Peter Jackson shows this very well. I know that quotes from LOTR have made me feel better about deaths in my family and just death in general. When I'm hearing Gandalf say to Pippin that death isn't the end in ROTK, I just can't help but believe him.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 16 2007, 3:35pm

Post #6 of 8 (394 views)
Shortcut
Back before the movies came out, that line [In reply to] Can't Post

and the ones that precede it ('I wish it need not have happened in my time' etc.) came to my mind immediately on 9/11/01

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

frederica bolger
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 4:05pm

Post #7 of 8 (377 views)
Shortcut
hmm, interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote I personally draw inspiration from comes from Gimli: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe! Arrh!"

Of course, the "all you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you" resonates with Tolkien's experience of WWI, and the truly horrifying experiences he lived through. I seem to remember that Ian McKellen commented on this saying what elder statesmen have done through the ages is to tell young soldiers how glorious it is to die... and I think movie-Gandalf's burden of guilt having sent Frodo to his death inspires the great, bittersweet delivery of both these lines (to Frodo and to Pippin). Whereas book-Gandalf is more like, as a friend pointed out, 'Churchill in a pointy hat', getting others to do what needs doing without dwelling on what this means to the individual. This may be why these lines are so much more poignant in the film...

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Elanor
Bree

Mar 20 2007, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 8 (388 views)
Shortcut
"There's some good in this world, Mr Frodo..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"And it's worth fighting for."

To name but one quotation of many.

A nice thread here.

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.