Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Confirmed Viggo returning as aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MajorP

May 21 2008, 5:10am

Post #1 of 41 (991 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed Viggo returning as aragorn Can't Post

hey guys dont know if this has been posted or not but heres the link

http://www.iesb.net/...d=4907&Itemid=99

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 21 2008, 5:26am

Post #2 of 41 (418 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice that not only does the article says they've been 'contacted' - not confirmed - but there is no source for the information. (I don't count Variety as a source, as this article doesn't say where Variety got the information from.)

I remain sceptical about Viggo.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 21 2008, 5:36am

Post #3 of 41 (474 views)
Shortcut
That isn't what the original story says at all [In reply to] Can't Post

The Variety story can be found RIGHT HERE.

I don't mean to sound mean, but we don't want to rumor monger and make sure it is clear.

And again, not to be rude, but the Variety story is the original, the source you posted simply rewrote the news, made it sound more promising and didn't talk to anybody.

But, it doesn't say at all that Viggo is confirmed as returning. It says he has been contacted and that is far from confirmed. He may not be interested, he may have obligations, he may want a lot of money (which he would actually get paid I imagine) or he may feel like his character is done or or or or. There are lots of possibilities.

It only says he has been contacted.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

MajorP

May 21 2008, 6:16am

Post #4 of 41 (424 views)
Shortcut
sorry guys [In reply to] Can't Post

oh ok guys sorry i did not even read that i just got it off moviehole that says hes been confirmed and i just posted there link here sorry guys i should look at the link before i post it.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 21 2008, 7:20am

Post #5 of 41 (366 views)
Shortcut
The variety story has been posted [In reply to] Can't Post

on the Frodo Franchise too, we'll just have to wait and see.

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Elven
Valinor

May 21 2008, 8:18am

Post #6 of 41 (370 views)
Shortcut
Not a confirmation as such [In reply to] Can't Post

yet there is suggestion from del Toro that things should be sorted out over the course of next week - we may hear something on the day of the Open Chat with Jackson and del Toro ...

There was another piece - it may have been during NYCCon that del Toro made suggestion that Walsh and Boyens were part of the scripting team as well as himself and Jackson - I;ll see if I can find it ...

This is what Im thinking caused the assumption that Viggo is confirned - yet it leans more to del Toro wanting those who originated the parts they played, to play them again ... yet we have conformation of McKellen and Serkis - nothing has been conformed for Viggo officially.

From Variety source regarding del Toro producing 'Hater'
http://www.variety.com/...tegoryid=13&cs=1

Pre-production is about to get under way on the two-part "Hobbit." Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to pen the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and del Toro. Preliminary contact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).
"We will all be involved in the script in some fashion but the exact definition is about a week away, " said del Toro. "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 21 2008, 11:10am

Post #7 of 41 (358 views)
Shortcut
All good MajorP [In reply to] Can't Post

We were glad to have the post and glad to have you around. Cool No harm done except perhaps by me for not being more hospitable.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2008, 11:50am

Post #8 of 41 (365 views)
Shortcut
Heh, heh, heh [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait until his son Henry hears about it ;) "BUT DAAAAD!!!"

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 21 2008, 2:03pm

Post #9 of 41 (323 views)
Shortcut
All Hail Henry, unsung hero of the War of the Ring! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 21 2008, 2:24pm

Post #10 of 41 (327 views)
Shortcut
As if Viggo wouldn't do it [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, it isn't confirmed... but we all know of all the people Viggo would be the first to come back.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

aragorn 500
The Shire

May 21 2008, 3:27pm

Post #11 of 41 (318 views)
Shortcut
I really hope he reprises his role as aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

As he's my favorite character in LOTR. Iam sure he would love to come back. However if he made another comitment before he got asked then that would be a problem. If they're asking him to reprise the role that sould mean that the second film would take place maybe around 30 or 40 years after the hobbit. I mean I don't imagine viggo playing a tweenty something year old aragorn.I really hope they showcase his leadership again. I wanna see the battle against the corsairs.

and young denethor's anger towards thorongil after seeing Ecthelion favoring a stranger to lead his army over his own son. I also hope that Orlando comes back as well, it would be great and kinda nostalgic to see aragorn and legolas kicking ass again.

Marionette
Rohan

May 21 2008, 5:56pm

Post #12 of 41 (344 views)
Shortcut
OK, now I am very worried [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not disagree with Viggo returning as Aragorn (though I think it should be a younger actor). But I am very worried in the way Aragorn will be in The Hobbit now that everything´s on Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh´s hands...unfortunately...
Now I do not trust at all... though I want a bit of Aragon´s past as Thorongil at Rohan and at Gondor (just looking for a chance, maybe in vane, to safe Denethor´s butchered portrayal in ROTK)
UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure
But now, yes, I am very worried.
That doesnt sound that good at all.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2008, 7:08pm

Post #13 of 41 (331 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn won't be in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

but he's bound to show up in film2; which is a different story altogether :) Fear not! Aragorn won't be marching along with the Dwarves.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Amatire

May 21 2008, 10:24pm

Post #14 of 41 (289 views)
Shortcut
Also worried [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.. I was not hugely enamoured with viggo's portrayal of Aragorn in LOTR, so Im not sure about this. A younger actor would have played the part with more conviction -with the passion of youth behind him- which was my main bugbear with Viggo's performance, it lacked selfassurity.

Patty
Immortal

May 21 2008, 10:25pm

Post #15 of 41 (280 views)
Shortcut
So, are you... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart Townsend in disguise?Sly

J/K. Actually, one of the things that I did like was getting rid of that younger actor and getting the older Viggo to play him. Passion works, but only with the use of experience of age could Aragorn have made it to claim his throne.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

(This post was edited by Patty on May 21 2008, 10:27pm)

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

May 21 2008, 10:35pm

Post #16 of 41 (284 views)
Shortcut
I don't like the thought of Aragorn in Hobbit.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo Mortensen would be a horrible fit for hobbit. He's getting too old, didn't like him in LOTR anyway, etc. I'm sure he'd be in it less than 5 minutes anyway, if he did show in Hobbit.

Mmmmmm....somethin' smells good!!!!! Could it be cookies baked in a tree?

Keebler's Website

Those were good cookies.....TIME TO HUNT SOME ORC!!!!!!!!!

Annael
Half-elven

May 21 2008, 10:48pm

Post #17 of 41 (279 views)
Shortcut
what I'd like [In reply to] Can't Post

for the "bridge" movie would be Ben Barnes as Aragorn at 20, when he first meets Arwen, and maybe if they show Aragorn's travels in Rohan and Gondor. And then when Gandalf needs someone to track Gollum down years later, he goes looking for Aragorn and finds - Viggo.

I think Ben & Viggo look enough alike that it would work.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end. - Ursula Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Empedocles
Rivendell

May 21 2008, 11:29pm

Post #18 of 41 (285 views)
Shortcut
Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the fact that he is a Numenorean and that he doesn't age as the rest of the mortal men do, I don't see why Viggo shouldn't reprise his role as Aragorn. Besides, think about how weird will it be to see Ben Barnes, or any other younger actor for that matter, making up with Liv Tyler. I still don't understand how some people didn't like Viggo's portrayal of Aragorn (I know it's a not-so-democratic comment but truly, I don't get it). To me, he was perfect, more than perfect. I rememebr when I first found out that he was going to play Aragorn, my first reaction was "What the ********", and then I saw him in FTOR, at Bree, and as soon as he said "I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift", that was it, he was Aragorn, at least the Aragorn I had always imagined. And then, after watching all the documentaries, and seeing the utmost respect with which he approached the character, and what a nice guy he seems to be, I wouldn't want any other actor in that role, neither younger, nor older. So I hope that he agrees to come back because I believe he is as essential to the movies as Ian McKellan or Andy.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

merklynn
Lorien

May 22 2008, 12:13am

Post #19 of 41 (255 views)
Shortcut
Sensitivity [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, Viggo made the part his own. But he certainly injected (possibly through Fran and Phillipa) a bit of romantic sensitivity that wasn't really shown in the books. However, I don't have a problem with this. Viggo was able to balance the sensitive, troubled angsty moments, with the practical leadership and combat role. I think he pulled it off brilliantly, although it would have been nice to see a little less emphasis on his softer side at times. Still, he is something special about the films, like nearly all the casting, and it would be painful to see him replaced.

aragorn 500
The Shire

May 22 2008, 12:14am

Post #20 of 41 (247 views)
Shortcut
Ben Barnes as Aragorn, No way [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't look enough like viggo plus he's just some pretty boy. He doesn't have the same roughness that viggo has, I wouldn't believe him in the role for one second honestly. Barnes looks more like orlando than viggo in any case.
Iam not completely against recasting aragorn(if he has to be younger) as long as it is an actor that not only looks like viggo but that has the same charisma and that is a man's man and that can act the part and be both tough and gentle to pull the part, not some pretty boy, that's not aragorn.

That's one of the reasons that they should bring him back to reprise the role, I can't understand how some people didn't like him as Aragorn i though he was perfect.
Plus he won't be in the Hobbit, remember that they're shooting both movies back to back so he needs to be cast early on for the second film.

Patty
Immortal

May 22 2008, 12:32am

Post #21 of 41 (237 views)
Shortcut
Slap some facial hair on him... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think he could do the job well.

I probably would have trouble with his relationship with Liv Tyler though, too.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

_V_
Lorien

May 22 2008, 12:40am

Post #22 of 41 (224 views)
Shortcut
maybe they'll have more than one "young aragorn" [In reply to] Can't Post

it could work....it could work, or at least, he'd be one of several young aragorns: "teenaged aragorn" first sees Arwen, then "young adult" almost-30 Aragorn is the star of the film

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

merklynn
Lorien

May 22 2008, 12:46am

Post #23 of 41 (222 views)
Shortcut
Casting Aragorn vs Makeup and SFX [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I'd be okay with them recasting Aragorn. Viggo is not someone you can just replace with someone who looks alike and has his charisma. From watching the extras on the DVDs I know that Viggo is a one of a kind type of guy. Very rare indeed. You don't find that sort of a heart and soul performer without scouring the globe for years, if it is even possible. Basically, they either recast him entirely, or they cast someone to play a younger "Estel" version for growing up in Rivendell scenes, and for his early adventure years, and then have Viggo do the contemporary LOTR stuff. Or they have Viggo do the majority of the stuff and just use a lot of clever makeup and SFX. Is that possible to achieve with makeup and SFX without looking weird? I doubt it. But who know, Weta is pretty talented.

Elven
Valinor

May 22 2008, 12:49am

Post #24 of 41 (232 views)
Shortcut
Nice comment .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also cant imagine nor would wish, any other actor than Viggo playing Aragorn, and I cant see the need for any change of actor for Aragorns part - it seems to defeat the purpose. Viggo did an excellent job of his role, he took on the persona of Aragorn further than he needed to to get into his spirit - he deserves the role by default, he is Aragorn, and the continuity would suffer greatly overall for the films.

One of the nicest things I heard from a non Tolkien LOTR fan was that the greatest chemistry he ever saw on screen was Aragorn and Arwen - and I would have to agree with this also.

If GdT and Jackson are together on this - which del Toro has commented on that they are - and they will reprise the same actors in the same roles, I think if theres an Aragorn, it will be Viggo - I trust them completely to do this film with the best intentions - not for the fans but for Tolkien.

Cheers Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Empedocles
Rivendell

May 22 2008, 1:08am

Post #25 of 41 (223 views)
Shortcut
Besides... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the timeline of the third Age, Aragorn was born in 2931 and served in Rohan and Gondor between 2960 and 2980, that would make Aragorn (stretching it a little bit) a 40/50 year old man. He's 86 by the time we see him in the FOTR, so...if you tell the audience he's 50, that would do it. I guess it should be fine, a little less facial hair, some more makeup, a less-troubled look (which I'm sure Viggo can do in a second) and no need to recast the character. Actually, the more I think about that (recasting the character), the more I think is the worst decision they can ever make. Besides....the guy almost got arrested for carrying his sword all over New Zealand!!! and slept in the woods to try to understand the character a little bit better!!! I mean, come on, who does that in Hollywood? No one. He's just one of the most committed actors in the world right now. I'm getting a little bit carried away, I know, but it's just that replacing Viggo seems like sacrilege.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.