The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 2

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2022, 3:54am

Post #1 of 8 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 2 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers! Happy September to one and all.

Mercy... can you believe we're already in Bilbo and Frodo's Birthday month!?! You look away for an instant and WHAM! There it is!

September seems to be the month for meaningful Quests. Bilbo was in an intense part of his Quest with the Dwarves as they escaped the Elves and were travelling down the River, and the hobbits were soon leaving the Shire to travel south while a year later they were heading north returning to the Shire. Lots of adventures going on!

Have you got any adventures planned, completed, or in the works? Do tell! :D You know that making a mad-dash at an airport or doing yard work are just 2 of the many ways of accumulating mileage to keep you on your way. What goal do you have that's giving you incentive to keep on keepin' on? I'm just keepin' on mowing the lawn now that we're getting regular, but gentle, rain. Did you know that grass is green? ;) I'd forgotten that last July.

Meanwhile, in Middle-earth, I'm still hanging out with the Hunters and White Rider as we ride with Theoden and the Rohirrim to Helm's Deep. I've been attached to a horse for so long now... I'm startled when I dismount and walk on 2 legs instead of 4!!! I'm a lot closer to the ground, too!

If you're fortunate to be celebrating a 3-day holiday weekend... HAVE FUN!!! And keep safe :D *waves fondly* I'll see you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2022, 4:11am

Post #2 of 8 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!!
I hope all is going great in your world. Fall is fast approaching here in the Northern Hemi... which means the weather is much more welcoming for playing outside :D Are you able to take advantage of some milder weather in accumulating your mileage? Does your approach to gathering steppage change with the weather?

I find I'm making a lot more mileage pushing the lawnmower than pushing the vacuum cleaner ;) It's more satisfying, that's fersher! How about you? What are you doing for making it down the Road? Remember to make it something that encourages you to keep going even if you do it with a variety of methods :D

One of my methods is my collaboration with Gandalf, the Hunters, and all these horses and peoples of Rohan. We're finally done with cleaning up this little corner of the war in Helm's Deep and are on our way to visit a neighbour in Orthanc. We probably should call ahead... but... naaaaaaaaahhhhhh ;)

I hope you have a great September... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2022, 6:37am

Post #3 of 8 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Different scenery for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently staying with my boyfriend in California, so I've been walking through his neighborhood rather than the one I'm used to. Well, I didn't do much walking the first week since California had a historically bad heat wave, but this week has been really nice, with noticeably cooler weather than I'm used to in September. And even when temperatures were in the triple digits (Fahrenheit), the humidity tended to be in the 20% range, which is nothing compared to Maryland. Also, this neighborhood is nice and flat, and it has sidewalks, which are another two points in its favor over my own. And so few bugs! But I'm rambling, now. :P

Unfortunately, I'm flying back soon, but hopefully it won't be too much longer before we start to see cooler fall weather. Though I've no doubt temperatures will swing back and forth wildly; it wouldn't be fall (or spring) in Maryland otherwise!

(This post was edited by Eldy on Sep 16 2022, 6:38am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2022, 1:35pm

Post #4 of 8 (1384 views)
Shortcut
New paths are so encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially encouraging when the path is so different from what you're used to. Literally from one end of the country to the other :D So having the chance to experience the weather fluxing from uncomfortable to very pleasant is a treat! :D You'll always remember physically connecting with California and having this entirely new adventure! Plus, it will give you a new appreciation for your own established paths in MD.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2022, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 8 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You'll always remember physically connecting with California and having this entirely new adventure! Plus, it will give you a new appreciation for your own established paths in MD.

This is a really nice way of putting it. Smile

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2022, 11:24am

Post #6 of 8 (1325 views)
Shortcut
How do you stay motivated? [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite my good intentions, I never get started.

Although there are physical obstacles outside (weather) and inside (me), still I've heard that where there's a will, there's a way. Suggestions?

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2022, 4:34pm

Post #7 of 8 (1287 views)
Shortcut
And there's your will peeking out :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Given everything you've been dealing with, I think you'll be surprised at how much mileage you're already getting. Remember... EVERYTHING counts! Look how much more you're able to do now compared to a few months ago. This is not a race or comparison to anyone else. This is your own Quest and journey that gives you the freedom to do it your own way. It will also give you some encouragement when you see how much progress you make :)

Any PT that you're doing is effort and mileage. Even going to the store and doing your shopping is mileage as you move up and down the isles and tackle the parking lot. Going to Church. Cleaning also counts. Dishes, bed-making, putting away groceries... hunting for hiding cats... every movement counts.

It's also inspirational if you can see the mileage you're accumulating. So If you could keep track of your activity and how long you were at it, I can go to the charts and figure how much mileage you've gathered. Once you have your (current) pattern established (dishes 15 mins / shopping 1/2 hr / etc.), we can make a chart of each thing and you'll be able to keep track of your basic activity each week. Your doctors might also be impressed with your process :D

You'll have times when things will be quieter, and other times where there's something happening every day. Again, it's not a race. Keeping the pressure of performance out of the calculations, I find, makes it easier to keep at it. Even if it's weeks without thinking about this... so what? Everything is OK :)

If you're more comfy with PMing... you know where to find me!!! *high five* I wish you could see how much I'm smiling right now!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2022, 3:52pm

Post #8 of 8 (729 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

I hope you're enjoying some cheek-flushing experiences that are keeping you challenged... or at least entertained :) Fall is definitely falling in my neck of the woods in Michigan. I think you've heard it's my favourite time of the year ;)

Are you finding your activity changing with the demands (or distractions) of the season change? Our sibbies in the Southern Hemi are finally coming out of the winter chills and spills (hopefully not literally). They are beginning to shed their coats and are grabbing their rakes and seeds. I'm getting ready to put my strawberry patch to bed and empty that shed I built over the summer of its bales of straw to winterize my out-of-doors.

I got quite a workout earlier this week as my daughter and I did a mad-dash through Philadelphia's Historic Section. *shakes head at selves* Tourists! More on that over at today's Fiesta Friday on the Off Topic Board!

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, Gandalf, the Hunters, Theoden and a bunch of his people and I are making our way to Isengard and the Wizard's Vale. Gandalf seems confident... the rest of us are not so sure of what's coming! TIME will tell ;)

I hope you have a wonderful Quest going on. *waves fondly* I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 7 2022, 3:53pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.