The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Rings of Power is a Ratings Success

Archestratie
Rohan

Oct 4 2022, 11:06am

Post #1 of 13 (773 views)
Shortcut
Rings of Power is a Ratings Success Can't Post

So, the Nielson Ratings came out for RoP in its first weekend. They were pretty good but not as good as maybe I suspected. I thought RoP would dominate the much worse Wheel of Time, but they're actually pretty close. And the Witcher is still on top; though its season 2 premier is helped by having 16 episodes, and Netflix drops a whole season at once instead of weekly like the rest. Anyway, here's a breakdown of openings of streaming ratings for recent fantasy shows:

2.2 Billion Minutes - The Witcher Season 2
1.25 Billion Minutes - Rings of Power Season 1
1.16 Billion Minutes - Wheel of Time Season 1
781 Million Minutes - House of the Dragon Season 1

What do you guys thing?

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Junesong
Rohan

Oct 4 2022, 11:20am

Post #2 of 13 (743 views)
Shortcut
Makes me happy [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the show. It feels like something special - especially as the season moves on. Glad other people are digging it too. Hope this year more people than ever are cracking open the Akallabeth for the first time!

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

Silvered-glass
Lorien

Oct 4 2022, 11:42am

Post #3 of 13 (733 views)
Shortcut
First Week Only [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon released two episodes at once for the premiere, which naturally helps with the total number of viewed minutes. Meanwhile House of the Dragon released only one new episode in the same week.

I would be interested in learning how the numbers have changed over the first season, and then how the opening of Season 2 plays out. Name recognition can only get a show so far. As far as I know, Amazon has been very quiet about the development of the viewership numbers.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Oct 4 2022, 1:17pm

Post #4 of 13 (698 views)
Shortcut
Considering the negativety against the show. [In reply to] Can't Post

We who enjoy the show and Amazon should be happy with these numbers. It's solid enough and I have a feeling now that dots of the story is starting to come together, the numbers will certainly increase.

Hopefull Harfoot
Rivendell

Oct 4 2022, 8:30pm

Post #5 of 13 (593 views)
Shortcut
Too early to tell yet [In reply to] Can't Post

First episodes are not a good measure of a shows success. Many will try something new. It's how many return and stick with it or are added that will matter.

But it is interesting to see how three major media platforms (Netflix, Amazon, HBO) are running four different sword and sorcery type series.

50th year anniversary since I first read The Lord of the Rings

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Oct 4 2022, 9:17pm

Post #6 of 13 (581 views)
Shortcut
Analysis [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw an analysis leak making the rounds, purportedly by "Amazon analyst Tom Forte" of the same numbers that broke it down to ultimately mean about 4.75% penetration of the subscriber base. In other words, "95.25% did not like it or are not interested in it." I'd have a Prime membership whether I watched the show or not, so it is not worth funding it for people like me, but if I am not interested, I would not be happy about any membership increase to fund it.

Galadhrim23

Oct 5 2022, 3:36am

Post #7 of 13 (513 views)
Shortcut
I've seen that "report"... [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears highly speculative at best to me. I'm not even sure who this guy is. Does this guy honestly think Rotten Tomatoes reviews are genuine? There are almost 31,000 reviews for Rings of Power on RT right now, compared to nearly 7,000 for House of the Dragon. You're telling me those numbers are genuine and not indicative of anything like multiple accounts review bombing? I hope this guy's clients get better "research" than that.

(This post was edited by Galadhrim23 on Oct 5 2022, 3:37am)

Galadhrim23

Oct 5 2022, 3:39am

Post #8 of 13 (507 views)
Shortcut
From Variety's interview with Jennifer Salke (head of Amazon Studios) today... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jennifer-salke-rings-of-power-amazon-five-seasons-mgm-1235392108/

Q: One month in, how do you feel about the performance so far?

A: We’re cresting toward 100 million customers having watched it so … It’s a big number. We can’t wait to get more info on how the audience all breaks down. We really anticipate, with these last three episodes, a huge turnout, because it’s all coming together and curiosity is at a fever pitch. And these last few episodes are the strongest in the season, because they’re not just about the setup. They’re excellent.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2022, 5:42am

Post #9 of 13 (490 views)
Shortcut
It's a mathematical miracle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are almost 31,000 reviews for Rings of Power on RT right now, compared to nearly 7,000 for House of the Dragon.

ROP is such a failure, it's watched by fewer people and it gets 5x the number of user reviews online. Clearly, this is a testament to the righteous fury that has driven ROP's numerically inferior viewers to spread the Bad Word online, and has nothing to do with a phenomenon that rhymes with purview glomming.

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Oct 5 2022, 5:46am

Post #10 of 13 (488 views)
Shortcut
Reliability [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jennifer-salke-rings-of-power-amazon-five-seasons-mgm-1235392108/

Q: One month in, how do you feel about the performance so far?

A: We’re cresting toward 100 million customers having watched it so … It’s a big number. We can’t wait to get more info on how the audience all breaks down. We really anticipate, with these last three episodes, a huge turnout, because it’s all coming together and curiosity is at a fever pitch. And these last few episodes are the strongest in the season, because they’re not just about the setup. They’re excellent.

Pfft. What else are they going to say? I trust self-interested, self-reported numbers even less than anything Galadhrim23 finds dubious on the internet.

Junesong
Rohan

Oct 5 2022, 11:13am

Post #11 of 13 (441 views)
Shortcut
Trust [In reply to] Can't Post

In the short time we've known each other I would say you appear to trust the things you agree with and distrust the things you don't.

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

MerlinEngine
Bree

Oct 6 2022, 6:06pm

Post #12 of 13 (325 views)
Shortcut
Reliable information [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone provide reliable information, data and research on the success of RoP or the lack thereof?

droidsocket
Lorien

Oct 17 2022, 6:31pm

Post #13 of 13 (131 views)
Shortcut
Not likely [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope. All the streaming services hold their numbers very close to the chest. When they do give out numbers you can be assured that they are as truthful as the whispers from Wormtongue.

“I cannot guarantee his safety… Nor will I be responsible for his fate”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.