Welcome to a groundbreaking Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 46 (760 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to a groundbreaking Fiesta! Can't Post

Greetings and salutations this fine Friday (Saturday for some)!

This week we witnessed a truly 'groundbreaking' event when NASA's DART mission (double asteroid redirection test) flew a spacecraft into the asteroid Dimorphos in an attempt to change its course. It was a test, of course, to see if they can change the course of an asteroid that might be heading our way in the future. It's a bit too early to say if, or how much, it changed it's course, but for a target more than 7 million miles from Earth, they only missed the desired impact zone by 17 meters! Pretty impressive!

Speaking of impressive, what have you been up to this week, and/or what are your plans for the weekend? The buffet special today is ice cream sundaes with your favorite 'crumbles' (get it) for toppings: nuts, chocolate chips, sprinkles, M&Ms, etc.! The champagne is also flowing freely again this week, or order up another favorite drink!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us something to get this Fiesta kicked off with a **BANG**

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!! CoolSmileHeart

p.s. Google 'NASA dart' and watch what happens to your screen. LaughLaugh

p.p.s. Prayers for any TORnsibs that were in Ian's way, or still are. HeartHeart

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 30, 4:20pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 30, 4:41pm

Post #2 of 46 (699 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, All - a remarkable achievement! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's so much swilling round up there in space, natural and otherwise, that its really important to devise ways of redirecting large lumps that might cause us problems. This is a big step forward.

Down here on Earth, sending thoughts to Florida after its hammering by Storm Ian. One thing I noticed from aerial shots - in this country we have a lot of two-storied houses, old and new, so you can move things upstairs; in Florida there seem to be a lot of single-storied flat-roofed houses, so no safe place to retreat to or to hide your valuables. Scary!
It's been raining all day today - has gone off now. I've been sewing up knitted squares for charity blankets, and eating some rather good chocolate cake. There's a horse chestnut tree over the road and the local squirrels have been busy hiding conkers for later consumption. I will be hunting down horse chestnut seedlings all round the garden in the spring, as the little blighters seem to have rather bad memories!
Looking at the state of the world today, I think the juke box is going to have to provide Bonnie Tyler's 'Holding out for a Hero'! Despite all that, have the best weekend you can, folks. Cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 46 (700 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! Whups, WHAT WAS THAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Omigosh, I did that search, how funny is that! The whole thing is like Star Trek becoming reality. Just awesome.

Mmm...coffee ice cream with Heath Bar crumbles. Thanks, Altaira! I'll have a mug of coffee to go with it, I'm plowing my way through piles of books to process into the collection this afternoon. And keeping an eye on Ian! Heard from the silneldors, it looks like they've been downgraded to getting only 3 inches of rain from this now, in western NC. But I've got a friend who retired to Port Charlotte, and I fear that was her neighborhood in one of the photos of the flooding - she's on one of the peninsulas between ocean and an inlet. Unsure I haven't heard from her, yet.

Meanwhile our new next-door neighbor and I plan to go bush-shopping this weekend, now that the garden shops have dropped prices to get those sold. After they moved in a few months ago, we had a messy 20-foot-wide area of land between our lawns dug up and old trees removed. We've been getting mulch from our town dump to spread on it, and have started planting small clumps of different types of bushes - she wants lots of color in there! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 46 (695 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be hunting down horse chestnut seedlings all round the garden in the spring, as the little blighters seem to have rather bad memories!

Maybe it's all part of their evil plan to grow more horse chestnut trees. Maybe they're smarter than you think. Wink

Have a great weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 46 (693 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if [In reply to] Can't Post

those squirrels play at Conkers, like Bilbo Baggins! Laugh

How large is your blanket going to end up being, and what colours?

Here's a link to Holding Out for a Hero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GPZDX9_2oE

Chocolate cake - very good after a rain! (Or anytime! Smile)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 30, 4:57pm

Post #6 of 46 (696 views)
Shortcut
cues up "Uptown Funk" on the jukebox [In reply to] Can't Post

ALL THE BOXES ARE UNPACKED!

I'm not saying I'm totally moved in, but the bedroom, kitchen, and living room are put together, the office very nearly so (I have a braided rug on order to give it a bit more color, and also this very cool bookshelf:

https://m.media-amazon.com/...t3LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I spent half of yesterday assembling - with many curses - a large storage rack for the garage (parts of it had a tendency to pop off across the garage, repeatedly, as everything had to be lined up perfectly to make it come together and I was working alone), and now all my bins of Christmas stuff and my camping/hiking gear is all stowed away on it, and I actually got the car IN the garage for the first time in three weeks!

My neighbors kitty-corner have realized that they have to move, which has everyone in my "court" very sad, as Bruce has been the helper guy who pops out and lends a hand every time anyone is outside working on anything - also the "senior" resident who moved in before anyone else, as soon as the complex was built 22 years ago. Alas his wife has been falling and the other night came into the bedroom at 11 pm with a sack of potatoes in her hand and asked him when he was going to start dinner, and he realized he couldn't handle the situation by himself and it was time to move to assisted living. They are 85, but he's in good shape, and apparently has asked the manager if he can come over and continue to help out with the outdoor maintenance. However, yesterday his daughter came over to tell me Bruce has COVID, so that's another worry. He's still at home and they've delayed the move. (Daughter looks very harried!) So prayers for Bruce and Theo please. I haven't known them long but long enough for them to have a place in my heart.

Settling into the community as well. Joined the choir as I've mentioned. Not a great choir (I'm used to singing in pretty top-notch auditioned choirs) but my voice isn't what it was either, and for a community choir it's a good one. The director is as good as any director I've ever worked with. Tomorrow I join the local Y which is next door (no signup fee in October!) AND my neighbors let me know there is an excellent Pilates-for-seniors class there with a wonderful teacher. I'm also thinking I might start swimming again - great exercise for the shoulder which could use it.

*makes a huge banana split with hot fudge* Nom!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 5:10pm

Post #7 of 46 (689 views)
Shortcut
WOW! Good going! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been seeing those "ladder" bookcases a lot lately, I like how sturdy they seem to be. Having a drawer is nice. And glad you were able to get the garage storage rack together without throwing it all out the door!

You have a nice little community there! I feel badly for what your handyman neighbor is going through, yes, prayers for them, this is a tough move to make - and to get COVID on top of it all. Unsure

Singing again! Cool And a Y next door! This is all working out wonderfully well for you! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 5:29pm

Post #8 of 46 (689 views)
Shortcut
Even if it's not technically a hurricane [In reply to] Can't Post

Once it gets to other places it can still drop a lot of rain, and gusts can fell trees. When I lived through a hurricane in Houston not a small number of the casualties were people that had trees fall on them while they were out driving around. Shocked

Nice to have a new-ish landscaping project, and a collaborative one at that. Happy shopping!

Annael
Immortal

Sep 30, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 46 (688 views)
Shortcut
nice to have a collaborative gardening neighbor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Used to live next to a fanatic gardener who was forever trading stuff with us. We sort of coordinated our front gardens - it was nice.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 5:36pm

Post #10 of 46 (687 views)
Shortcut
Great progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

That shelving almost looks to nice for a garage. It *looks* deceptively easy to assemble. I bought a small rolling cart to put by the kitchen table that I use for my computer which was the same way. Everything had to line up perfectly or it just collapsed. My reaction was to laugh though, because I could see what I needed to do, I just had to hold my breath while doing it, which the laughing didn't help at. Laugh

Oh gosh. Your poor neighbors. I hope he gets better and they both get to someplace good for her.

Wow for all your newfound extracurricular activities - good for the body and the soul. Enjoy!!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 5:54pm

Post #11 of 46 (696 views)
Shortcut
Up early [In reply to] Can't Post

to get ready for a bit of volunteering - manning a ballot box outside a small supermarket in a small town to make it easier for the locals to vote in the local body elections. I'm on the morning shift with another staffer and I'll be bringing the nibbles - including a flask of hot chocolate that's been Irished-up on this cold and raining morning. Wink Just typical that we get a southerly arriving to bring down the temperatures!

Last couple of weekends I began my spring clean-up on the garden - weeding (you can see *exactly* where I stopped when I'd had enough) and pruning the cranberry and mandarin trees to open them up and let sunlight and air through. My plum trees are a mass of blossoms so hopefully I'll get a good crop out of them this season.

Happy weekend, everyone! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 46 (687 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm, plums! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet the tree looks lovely with all those blossoms. Ha! I can relate to the 'demarcation' zone of dutiful weeding vs. 'that's flipping enough of that.' Laugh

Hope you stay warm this a.m. (with the help of your trusty thermos), and have a great rest of your weekend!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30, 7:18pm

Post #13 of 46 (683 views)
Shortcut
It's the holidays! [In reply to] Can't Post

My plan is to fully recover from Long Covid in two weeks so I am totally on board for Term 4.
We'll see how that goes...
One of my favourite things about the holidays is no early morning texts from families and staff. Bliss.

My lounge is mostly full of blossom but I don't really mind. That's the price of planting a cherry blossom so close to the house. The falling blossom can be a pain but it's totally worth it.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30, 7:24pm

Post #14 of 46 (680 views)
Shortcut
Good on you [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted my voting papers yesterday.
It is surely time something was done about this antiquated system, especially now NZ Post is so unreliable.
This year especially involved quite the commitment to plenty of research prior to ticking any boxes!
So well done you for supporting local democracy. Enjoy that hot chocolate with added zing!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 30, 8:34pm

Post #15 of 46 (671 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully two more weeks of R&R (complete R&R) is just what you need to bounce back and be ready for the next term. I bet the cherry blossoms smell lovely! Enjoy them and the absence of early a.m. emails! Heart

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 9:46pm

Post #16 of 46 (677 views)
Shortcut
We have a great new niece! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact a great-niece :) Mr Kimi's niece and her husband have a lovely wee new baby girl, a sister for their little boy. All are well and very happy. She's been given the lovely name of Iona to honour her Scottish heritage.

I went to see the orthopaedic surgeon this week about follow-up surgery on my wrist after last year's smashing event. He can do it more quickly than I'd expected, only about a week and a half from now. It should be minimal compared to the original. We agreed best to have it done asap so I'll be fit for kayaking come summer.

It's raining and howling with wind, and not at all inviting. I heard the first pīpīwharauroa of spring this morning; I imagine it must be wondering why it left Vanuatu. We've just returned from dropping off our voting papers in the local elections, and I don't plan to leave the house again today. Mr Kimi has promised a cake for afternoon tea.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 11:38pm

Post #17 of 46 (661 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on the new addition to the family! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope you have a speedy recovery from the surgery.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 11:41pm

Post #18 of 46 (676 views)
Shortcut
I've just got back [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm snarfing down some lunch before jumping in the shower so I can warm up. My volunteer buddy brought thick wool blankets and they were very necessary - between them and the hot chocolate with Bailey's (which I still have half a thermos of - oh, woe...) we stayed warm enough, but my feet and hands were definitely feeling the cold!

(My buddy cracked up laughing when I opened the thermos - she could smell the alcohol on the air.) Laugh

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30, 11:42pm

Post #19 of 46 (660 views)
Shortcut
This weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

is definitely the right time to snuggle up and do *nothing*. I hope you feel a lot better once the school holidays are done. Heart

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 2:14am

Post #20 of 46 (643 views)
Shortcut
Busted! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh! Did she ask for a swallow or two?

Once the ground warms, the weeds grow like - well, weeds. I can easily imagine how to tell where your weeding stopped! What are you planning to put in first?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 2:16am

Post #21 of 46 (644 views)
Shortcut
Go for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to your finally knocking out that Covid bug! Rest is best!

And it must smell delightful around your house! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 2:27am

Post #22 of 46 (641 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I imagine big brother can hardly wait for her to get big enough for him to show her how they can get in trouble! Laugh

That's great news about the follow-up surgery. What a relief it will be to get that done with and all healed.

Those look like shiny birds! Fascinating how they migrate across extensive ocean areas.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1, 3:09am

Post #23 of 46 (636 views)
Shortcut
congrats and [In reply to] Can't Post

best of luck with your surgery!

-- Gaston Bachelard

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 1, 4:28am

Post #24 of 46 (627 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the new niece! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always so special when a new addition comes into the family. It sounds like she'll be a perfect compliment to her big brother.

Pretty bird! Encouraging signs of spring all over the place!

Best of luck on the surgery and the recovery! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 1, 4:36am

Post #25 of 46 (626 views)
Shortcut
Hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Guessing the 'warming' effect the hot chocky must have had on you, the people dropping off their ballots must have been wondering what was so funny about voting. Luckily, you were probably both so wrapped up in blankies they'd never recognize you. Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.