Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How much are you enjoying (or not) The Rings of Power?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How much are you enjoying (or not) The Rings of Power?
Way better than I expected
Better than I expected
It's meeting my expectations (good or bad)
Worse than I expected
So, so much worse than I expected
Other
View Results (44 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2022, 9:36am

Post #1 of 26 (9011 views)
Shortcut
How much are you enjoying (or not) The Rings of Power? Can't Post

We're three episodes in and have a good feel for the show by now. Compared to what you were expecting before the premiere screened, how much are you enjoying it?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 14 2022, 9:38am)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2022, 6:54pm

Post #2 of 26 (8910 views)
Shortcut
Meeting my expectations... [In reply to] Can't Post

...both good and bad. Wink

Because this is a Tolkien adaptation, I followed the rumors and trailers and such far more closely than I normally would, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. So far, I think the show is very well made, I have reservations about a number of changes from the source material, but I'm enjoying the ride and getting to talk about it online. It's nice to see online Tolkien discussion getting a boost after those lean years in the second half of the 2010s. If nothing else, I'll be grateful to ROP for that, but I remain open to the possibility of the show winning me over in the long run. Given the pacing so far, I expect I'll take a while to come to a firm opinion.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2022, 11:19pm

Post #3 of 26 (8775 views)
Shortcut
After 4 Eps, still a mixed bag [In reply to] Can't Post

Some aspects I really enjoy, others just aren’t working for me. But enough good is there for me to continue watching. I do believe the show has yet to really find its feet.

Silvered-glass
Lorien

Sep 23 2022, 3:57pm

Post #4 of 26 (8557 views)
Shortcut
Not Enjoying [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't planning on watching, but ended up seeing an episode (#5) anyway and had paid attention to online discussion and reviews, which allowed me to know what was going on. This show is disastrous. The only reason I'm not voting "much worse" is that my expectations were pretty much on the floor to start with.

My biggest issue is that the screenwriting is inhumanly bad. As in, I have some experience with AI-generated material, and RoP has exactly that feel, like there wasn't a human brain involved in coming up with all that stuff and everything is just random associations in the shape of a script.

Verdict: Watch Khraniteli instead. It beats RoP in everything except the sets and the CGI.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 24 2022, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 26 (8520 views)
Shortcut
I'm enjoying it a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

When the ice troll appeared at the beginning I thought "Oh, here we go again," fearing a repeat of PJ's 20 minute cave troll fight. I was pleasantly surprised when it was over so quickly.

It has aspects I loved from the movies like amazing visuals, pretty people, fun easter eggs, and it doesn't have some of the things I hated from the movies like lugubrious elves and interminable action scenes.

I love love love Galadriel. Is she petulant and insuffable? Yes, just like she is in UT. Tolkien retconned her to be something like Mother Mary in LotR, but I like his original fiery version. I'm hoping Celeborn will show up and be more interesting than he was in LotR.

I haven't cracked open the Tolkien books in a while, but this is sending me scurrying back to the appendices and the Sil and UT. Sure they're playing ducks and drakes with the timeline, but that makes it all the more fun to try to puzzle out all the little mysteries. Who is Adan, and the Stranger, and Halbrand? Have we seen Sauron yet? Right now my money's on the creepy mystic. I know the actor's a woman, but Sauron can take any form, so it's believable.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2022, 6:58pm

Post #6 of 26 (8508 views)
Shortcut
To be fair, that wouldn't be hard. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm hoping Celeborn will show up and be more interesting than he was in LotR.

Cool

I know he was instructed to act as if speaking and being in the moment was difficult for a creature as long-lived and deep-thinking as he, but Marton Czokas just didn't nail it. Whenever I think of that scene in Lothlorien, I'm reminded of a quip from a board member: "Where is my personality? For I much desire to have it."

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 25 2022, 1:21am

Post #7 of 26 (8482 views)
Shortcut
That's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

The delivery of that line was pretty terrible.
I find the character better in the EE, where he has more lines.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 25 2022, 1:46am

Post #8 of 26 (8487 views)
Shortcut
Even in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I never found Celeborn to interesting enough to believe thay he would attract Galadriel. I'm hoping to see an on screen character that I could plug into my mental image, like I did with movie Boromir.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2022, 2:03am

Post #9 of 26 (8488 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, EE Celeborn and TE Celeborn have two different energies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he was still half-asleep when the Fellowship rolled up to the flet?

(I admit that my strongest memory of the EE scene is how hairy Celeborn's arms were...) Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 25 2022, 6:10am

Post #10 of 26 (8475 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see him I remember that he proposed to my flatmate. Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2022, 6:16am

Post #11 of 26 (8468 views)
Shortcut
OMG! What a claim to fame!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a story about Karl Urban and what he got up to in Auckland after his Shortland Street years. Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 25 2022, 8:03am

Post #12 of 26 (8461 views)
Shortcut
That sounds much more fun [In reply to] Can't Post

than my 'I nearly got run over by rude and arrogant Hobbit star' story!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 26 2022, 4:59am

Post #13 of 26 (8399 views)
Shortcut
All right ladies [In reply to] Can't Post

spill the beans!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2022, 8:46am

Post #14 of 26 (8390 views)
Shortcut
Beans? What beans? [In reply to] Can't Post

*slams pantry door shut*

There are no beans to see here...

Angelic

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 13 2022, 9:32am

Post #15 of 26 (7894 views)
Shortcut
Hard to answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted "Meeting my expectations", however, in a lot of ways it is better than I expected because my expectations were not very high and only got better around ComicCon.

I think they need tighter scripts with better pacing as the #1 issue. I do not think the so-called plotholes are half as bad and many can be explained but the fact that they arise in the first place have a lot to do with the way the show is edited and paced in general.

I am positively impressed with the CGI and set design. I was not sure all that money would result in a good look. I thought it would be polished but "clean". It looks very "real" and down-to-earth.

I also like the way they shape many characters and am positively surprised by how they handled their original characters. Some of them are my favourites so far (Disa and Arondir, for example, also Bronwayn grew on me).

I dislike the mystery box stuff and hope they move away from that. The big mystery of a lot of this is not what or who will happen/do something/be someone but how we get there. I said it elsewhere, a bit like Titanic. We know the ship sinks... but how we get there is the engaging stuff.

Overall until the finale it is a 7.5/10 from me. The finale might have a huge impact on the score.

Celandine Brandybuck
The Shire

Oct 26 2022, 12:35am

Post #16 of 26 (7386 views)
Shortcut
A little more hastiness needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he was instructed to act as if speaking and being in the moment was difficult for a creature as long-lived and deep-thinking as he, but Marton Czokas just didn't nail it.

Hear, hear. A number of the elves in TRoP are doing that speak-so-slowly thing *coughGil-galadcough* which, I understand the reasoning, but it just does not work very well for me as a viewer. Galadriel is significantly older than Gil-galad, and she doesn't speak as slowly (most of the time). Perhaps that's intended to indicate her relative impetuousness, but it also makes it much easier to listen to her.

(This post was edited by Celandine Brandybuck on Oct 26 2022, 12:37am)

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Oct 26 2022, 1:23am

Post #17 of 26 (7376 views)
Shortcut
Expected Vs Hoped [In reply to] Can't Post

If I selected one, my answer to "hoped" might be much different than "expected." One can expect poor and have that expectation met, while hope is much different.

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Oct 26 2022, 1:23am)

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 28 2022, 2:45am

Post #18 of 26 (7309 views)
Shortcut
How freaking great is it to see you here!!? [In reply to] Can't Post

!!!!********* T H A T G R E A T *********!!!!

Many hugs and hopes that you've been happy and thriving and that live has been exceptionally good to you!!

HeartHeartHeartHeart

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 28 2022, 4:31am

Post #19 of 26 (7304 views)
Shortcut
Very nice to see you here again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well, Cel.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2022, 1:46am

Post #20 of 26 (7238 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

I DON'T REMEMBER HAIRY, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

eh, more Dwarvish than Elvish there dude...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2022, 1:53am

Post #21 of 26 (7229 views)
Shortcut
thoroughly enjoying it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I began with the books in 1978 (because when I rolled up a character and waved it at the DM, he said "play an elf." To which I replied, "Like Herbie, in Rudolph???"

"Read LOTR" he said. I have, many times since.

I'm saying RoP is about as good as I hoped. And I hoped for pretty darn good.

I love the PJ films, an it is an iconic and impressive feat. I like some RoP bits better. I feel PJ's elves were a bit too ethereal and supermodelly at times (except Legolas, fine) and I like the more down to earth Elves in RoP. Arondir is the most elvish elf that ever elfed. Nuff said.

Two observations: RoP was cut from 10 to 8 eps I hear??? yeah, don't do that again guys, I felt the missing scenes...

I can mention many series (cough*NextGen and Disco*cough) that were meh in their first years and hit the ground running in year two.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2022, 2:22am

Post #22 of 26 (7228 views)
Shortcut
Enjoyed it, and looking forward to next season! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn’t love everything, but I do appreciate it, and some moments were really magical!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 31 2022, 4:46pm

Post #23 of 26 (7200 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh!! Did [In reply to] Can't Post

the other party say yes? Did they, did they, Precious? We mussssst know . . .

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 2 2022, 5:47am

Post #24 of 26 (7145 views)
Shortcut
Good Lord no [In reply to] Can't Post

She barely knew him.
He was pretty keen on her though!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 2 2022, 4:26pm

Post #25 of 26 (7118 views)
Shortcut
Barely knew him?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

A little more "hasty" than his screen appearances would suggest! Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.