Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday? *check* Fiesta? You bet! Come on in and join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17, 6:07pm

Post #26 of 33 (464 views)
Shortcut
*raises glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

To the Queen!

I'm so glad you were able to visit and leave flowers. The crowds are so overwhelming, but totally understandable. With the dignataries who are coming to the funeral, it would be impossible to actually get close enough.

I'll be watching the broadcast here VERY early on Monday morning. It will be nice to see the pageantry.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17, 6:10pm

Post #27 of 33 (464 views)
Shortcut
Hummingbirds! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ours are still around, but they've been more hungry than usual at the nectar feeder - it shouldn't be long now that they begin migration.

It's a fascination and a joy to watch as some of our winged friends begin another yearly journey!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 17, 8:36pm

Post #28 of 33 (455 views)
Shortcut
5.30am - an early start! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I might get up early on Monday to see the end of the lying in state at 6.30am. That's a big moment. The crown, orb and sceptre have to be removed and taken back to the Tower of London too, which will be another ceremonial (and extremely secure) event. The experts are trying to estimate when the queue needs to close, but I bet there will still be some disappointed and sleep-deprived people. So many have queued for so long - I take my hat off to them! I'm going to my daughter's to watch the leaving of Westminster Hall and the state funeral, but will watch the rest at home as I don't think the grandsons will be interested enough to watch all that comes after - the journey to Windsor, service there, etc. They should remember the state funeral though - I can still remember watching Sir Winston Churchill's funeral on tv. Watching the grandchildren (the youngest being 14) keeping their vigil tonight was very moving. I wonder what the worldwide tv/live stream audience is going to be? Most of us can grieve in private, but these people have to grieve with dignity, and the eyes of the world upon them. I hope that after the funeral they're allowed some quiet mourning time.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18, 2:16pm

Post #29 of 33 (395 views)
Shortcut
I am enthralled with all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen Elizabeth's complete devotion to the realm, her duty and the people staggers me. And the powerful honour and devotion that are being returned fills my heart. In all my life, this is the only time I can think of where the integrity, grace, and appreciation of a leader so completely surpasses any other. She's a world treasure... and I'm so grateful to her and her family that follows.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 18, 3:07pm

Post #30 of 33 (393 views)
Shortcut
Not a wind down here, but a giant crash. [In reply to] Can't Post

A week ago we had four days of record highs ... 110, 113,115 and 107.
Now we're sitting ten to 15 below the average... in the 80's.
Not complaining just waiting for the next section of the roller coaster to take us up again.

Or if we get really lucky some of that storm that is terrorizing Alaska will make it all the way to the Central Valley of CA and give us some rain.

Think I'll get a bucket and pretend to wash the car.... maybe that will fool the rain gods.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 18, 8:25pm

Post #31 of 33 (371 views)
Shortcut
Her life and the example she's set [In reply to] Can't Post

has had a truly global reach; it's all pretty awe-inspiring actually. 'The end of an era' has been a rather over-used phrase recently, but - it is.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 18, 9:05pm

Post #32 of 33 (371 views)
Shortcut
perfect fall weather here [In reply to] Can't Post

70 with a slight bite to the air, my favorite.

It was reunion weekend for me - my 50th (+2 years as we didn't get to celebrate in 2020) high school reunion. So instead we celebrated it as "the class of '70 is 70!" I must say most of us looked pretty good for three score and ten; some of the women in particular must have a portrait in the attic . . . I had a better time than I expected. I was a nerd girl in high school and flew under the radar of most of the popular crowd, but recently I've been connecting with more classmates on FB and a lot of them have had far more interesting lives than I would have predicted! Or maybe than they would have - life throws us all curveballs for sure, and it sounds like many of them handled reverses and bad situations with grace and learned a few things. I felt like I connected with most of the people I talked with. There were a few folks who drank too much - I was walking past the woman who had been our queen bee when she grabbed me and whispered "please take me away from this guy!" and I did, and we ended up having a lovely chat - she's a PhD Psychologist who counsels writers on how to write psychologically truthful characters, so that was fascinating. I had to dodge another guy myself whom I don't remember at all, but who apparently had a crush on me in high school, and I dodged the two people who were determined to bring their political views to all of us (they were on opposite sides of the spectrum, fortunately they didn't come within range of each other). Best parts were connecting with two friends who became physicians and then had serious health issues themselves - one developed MS, the other, ironically an oncologist, who got lung cancer despite never having smoked. They are both doing well but you can tell their empathy level for their patients is very high now.

Home again to find several cards from people celebrating my new place, and a kitty who wants lots of petting. This week will be more unpacking - I'm at the point where I am going slow and being very mindful about what goes where.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20, 1:58am

Post #33 of 33 (278 views)
Shortcut
A lot happens in a half a century! [In reply to] Can't Post

How to write psychologically truthful characters? That IS fascinating, but it makes my brain spin! It is amazing to see where old friends have been, and what they've been through (the unexpected learning experiences those physicians have had). Were you able to say, "Oh, I'm a published author..."? Cool

You're unpacking "for keeps" now, and you have the time to take it slowly! Do you feel like you've "downsized" your stuff well, after these last couple of moves?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.