Prepare yourself: ***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18, 6:58pm

Post #1 of 12 (939 views)
Shortcut
Prepare yourself: ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** Can't Post

The following is what we've gleaned from attendees of the Mexico City premier:

-First Age material is contained in an epic 5-minute flashback sequence. Bliss prior to the darkening of the Trees is illustrated with elf-children. The Darkening itself is illustrated with Melkor in shadow-form. Finrod is confirmed as the elf climbing the hilltop to observe the vista. The War of Wrath is confirmed. Sauron is present on the battlefield in armored Dark Lord form reminiscent of the PJ films. Balrogs and eagles face off. Death of Finrod.
-First episodes feature Galadriel's expedition north, return to Lindon, voyage west, encounter with a Worm (sea-serpent). Numenor does not appear.
-Elrond and Durin IV feature heavily. Armayo's acting is singled out as particularly good. Elrond and Durin have a close relationship.
-Hobbits and Meteor Man appear. This storyline was less compelling to the viewer.
-In the Southlands, Theo and Bronwyn are attacked by an orc in their kitchen. Theo acts in a suspicious manner.

Also, a significant amount of the footage that we have seen in the trailers and sneak-peeks is from the first two episodes.

There have surely been further spoilers leaked, but this is all I can remember. Folks should feel free to add to this list if they'd like.

(This post was edited by Narvi on Aug 18, 7:01pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18, 7:23pm

Post #2 of 12 (913 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I forgot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Earendil and Elwing feature in a painting during one of Elrond and Galadriel's conversations in Lindon.

(This post was edited by Narvi on Aug 18, 7:24pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 18, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 12 (901 views)
Shortcut
Finrod [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wonder whether Finrod's death is portrayed cononically?

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

VoronwŽ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 18, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (854 views)
Shortcut
Not if ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

... it is portrayed as being part of the War of Wrath, as the spoilers that Narvi reports seem to suggest.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 18, 9:23pm

Post #5 of 12 (847 views)
Shortcut
If I understand correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it is only told with two or three sentences, not directly contradicting the canon story but not telling it either. There are alleged quotes from that part of the episode that seem to give Finrod a much more active role than the fulfillment of his oath, however. Questions regarding this weren't further answered on the Discord, I think.
However, there seem to be different accounts to when Finrod's death happened in the series.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 18, 9:29pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18, 9:33pm

Post #6 of 12 (834 views)
Shortcut
I donít think so [In reply to] Can't Post

It may be left ambiguous as to how he dies, but Sauronís presence on the battlefield makes me think he will be responsible, as in the Silmarillion.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 18, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 12 (823 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, Sauron is clearly named as the person responsible. That they confirmed.

It is apparently also mentioned that he did not die on the battlefield.

But apparently it is only mentioned that Finrod went looking for Sauron but Sauron found him first or something like this. There wasn't any further clarification in the spoilers. But it doesn't seem like Beren or the oath are mentioned.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 18, 11:38pm

Post #8 of 12 (791 views)
Shortcut
One of the Mexico City viewers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

... it is portrayed as being part of the War of Wrath, as the spoilers that Narvi reports seem to suggest.

Said that Finrod dies as he did in the bookÖ

Also, the oath scene seems to be part of a montage while Galadriel says they had to leave Valinor after the darkening of the trees. And so itís heavily implied that itís the Oath, but itís not specified. As itís essentially irrelevant to the setup narrative Galadriel is telling.

ďHe went alone to look in Mirrormere.Ē - The Book of Mazarbul

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 19, 7:45am

Post #9 of 12 (684 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Said that Finrod dies as he did in the bookÖ

Also, the oath scene seems to be part of a montage while Galadriel says they had to leave Valinor after the darkening of the trees. And so itís heavily implied that itís the Oath, but itís not specified. As itís essentially irrelevant to the setup narrative Galadriel is telling.

It was later specified that they mainly talk about it and it is not specified how he does. And Beren is certainly not mentioned. The imagery, however, allows people who know the lore to fill in the blanks. (We already saw his body in a trailer which implies werewolves as well, though, they are not mentioned in the prologue).

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 19, 10:32am

Post #10 of 12 (649 views)
Shortcut
New info [In reply to] Can't Post

There was some clarification.

His actual death basically doesn't contradict his canon death..the events leading up to it are very different though as it happens after Morgoth's fall while trying to hunt down Sauron.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Aug 19, 2:05pm

Post #11 of 12 (598 views)
Shortcut
Some Confirmation From the Soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
-First Age material is contained in an epic 5-minute flashback sequence. Bliss prior to the darkening of the Trees is illustrated with elf-children. The Darkening itself is illustrated with Melkor in shadow-form. Finrod is confirmed as the elf climbing the hilltop to observe the vista. The War of Wrath is confirmed. Sauron is present on the battlefield in armored Dark Lord form reminiscent of the PJ films. Balrogs and eagles face off. Death of Finrod.

This would seem confirmed by the soundtrack. Track number 9, titled "In the Beginning," is very likely the music from that prologue, and it's nearly 8 minutes long. It also contains Galadriel's theme, Sauron's theme, and other epic music which, after listening to it, all but confirms it's the music from the prologue.

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 19, 5:12pm

Post #12 of 12 (525 views)
Shortcut
Another edit [In reply to] Can't Post

There is some speculation now that the prologue will not be the only flashback we see of FA. The balrogs are *not* shown in the former, but rather in a "sneak peek" that played after episode 2 at the premier. The FA-related tracks, when taken together, are also much longer than the 5 mins of screen time suggested by the source.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.