The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
spoilers policy

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18 2022, 1:17pm

Post #1 of 11 (365 views)
Shortcut
spoilers policy Can't Post

What is our policy on spoilers? The attendees of the Mexico City are giving general impressions and vague spoilers, so I figured before some of that makes its way over here that we should learn what TORn's policy is for spoilers on the message boards. I remember being spoiled rotten following each of TH films with no warning Laugh I didn't mind, but I assume others did.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 18 2022, 2:01pm

Post #2 of 11 (333 views)
Shortcut
Don't know about Official Policy, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I suggest that episode spoilers are not posted until the episode actually airs. Do we have markups for spoilers? Let's see:

[spoiler]THIS IS A TEST.[/spoiler]

EDIT: I guess not. I guess spoilers could be posted in white text.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 18 2022, 2:13pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18 2022, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 11 (292 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember exactly what we did in Hobbit-times [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a vague memory of bold spoiler-tags on individual threads but yeah, within each thread I don't remember any means of concealing the spoiler.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Aug 18 2022, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 11 (291 views)
Shortcut
My input [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoilers should only be posted in spoiler-designated threads, i.e. episode discussion threads or something otherwise marked as [spoilers] in the thread title

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18 2022, 4:51pm

Post #5 of 11 (285 views)
Shortcut
This sounds like the best policy [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree 100%

Eledhwen
Forum Admin

Aug 18 2022, 6:30pm

Post #6 of 11 (257 views)
Shortcut
Would suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

if you are going to post a spoiler, make sure it's signposted in the thread title, so those who wish to avoid spoilers can do so. And if you are really trying to avoid spoilers, avoid the boards until you've watched the episode(s) that just dropped. And probably social media ...

It's been so long since we had anything that could be spoiled that I can't remember if we have an official policy on it!

Storm clouds

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Aug 18 2022, 6:31pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin

Aug 18 2022, 7:03pm

Post #7 of 11 (240 views)
Shortcut
No we don't - it was fan-managed. [In reply to] Can't Post

For some discussions, such as when LOST was big (nostalgic sigh), it was decreed by board members that no spoilers would be in the subject lines so that no-one would be spoiled before they could watch the show. (And **SPOILERS** was added in the subject line where necessary.)

We could do something similar with the ROP threads, if people want.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 18 2022, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 11 (236 views)
Shortcut
I've tried to replicate this [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully I did a decent enough job above!

Ataahua
Forum Admin

Aug 18 2022, 7:40pm

Post #9 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
Looks good! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Aug 19 2022, 5:13am

Post #10 of 11 (173 views)
Shortcut
Spoiled By Books [In reply to] Can't Post

If only reading the books was already 100% spoilage.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Aug 19 2022, 9:33am

Post #11 of 11 (148 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler-free [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it doesn't look like there will be many spoilers to worry about at all by reading the books.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.