The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An interview with John Rhys-Davies

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15, 8:26pm

Post #1 of 6 (976 views)
Shortcut
An interview with John Rhys-Davies Can't Post

This one passed by me at the time but it's a sweet catch-up with John Rhys-Davies who, for a long time, has called NZ home.

He’s best known for clobbering orcs with an axe, but the man who played Gimli the dwarf in the Lord of the Rings movies is now a warrior in a couple of new campaigns.
One is raising funds for the new Waikato Regional Theatre. The other is using the power of drama to help young people overcome introversion and chronic shyness.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...aying-another-person

Of note is that he initially wasn't enamoured of the idea of attending fan conventions - but that changed over the years, and SF/F fans have possibly made him a better person.

“The first fan convention I went to I got told: ‘You gotta come. You gotta promote the show’ and all that sort of thing. Oh god, what the hell do I want to do this sort of thing for? All these people dressed up as Captain Kirk or something like that. Why can’t they get a proper life?
“And I went, and slowly I realised that they do have a real life. And some of those lives are immensely rich. And you meet real heroes.
“You meet the tired, exhausted mid-40s woman who has brought up and devoted her life to a child who cannot speak ... You meet proud fathers who bring along a little boy who is blind. And you see him listen and use his imagination as you talk. You can see him picturing in his mind these things.”

Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 6 (888 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful interview :D [In reply to] Can't Post

An interview with John Rhys-Davies cannot really be described as an interview with John Rhys-Davies. It’s more like having an audience with John Rhys-Davies.

I laughed when I read that :D He is a powerhouse of enthusiasm and filled with stories. I remember the first ORC I attended and the audience was waiting for him to come on stage to speak. The first time (which didn't take long) that he laughed that HUGE JRD/Gimli laugh got the whole room bursting in laughter! "THERE HE IS!" And he was notorious for taking a very long time to finish signing autographs at the table after his time on stage... because he insisted on seeing each and every person who stood in line to see him. I'm talking HOURS after everyone else would have been done.... cuz he's also a talker :) He fills the room!

This is a wonderful interview. And it's so fitting that he'd be a mentor for shy people... because he seems to be such the opposite. But usually the most impactful and compassionate people who help others in whatever situation they may be in is because they themselves have lived through it, too.

Thank you for this :) *cuts, pastes* It warms my heart to know he's made NZ his home. I know I'm homesick for it every day.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17, 7:56pm

Post #3 of 6 (879 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad the story sparked those memories for you. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He really does sound like an absolute charmer, just because of how interested he is in whoever he's talking to.

One thing the casting directors did really well: they brought in actors who appear to be genuinely good people.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18, 12:54pm

Post #4 of 6 (842 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Genuinely good people and each of their personalities surprisingly reflected the characters they were portraying a lot! We've been so lucky to be a part of all of this :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

hatster
Rohan

Aug 19, 3:57am

Post #5 of 6 (821 views)
Shortcut
gramma.. I'm so out of the loop! [In reply to] Can't Post

You went to NZ? YAY!!!! You probably have post(s) here about it. Perhaps I'll dig to find them.

The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 19, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 6 (787 views)
Shortcut
I'd better warn you ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a very long "report" about my first trip in 2010 (went twice), but I haven't finished my Mar 16-26, 2018 trip report... yet! My dear Mom passed away in 2016 and always made me promise to go back. So when my 4 other sibs and I settled her affairs, I went again... thanks to her. I'm still putting my report together just so I'll remember it, but my memory is not what it used to be... so I've been kinda scared to keep at it. I stayed in the same place in Wellington and visited "my old haunts" ;) but I added a nearly 9-hour train trip from Wellington north to Hamilton then a bus to Matamata where I ultimately made it to Hobbiton!!!! *swoon*

I'm still so homesick (not an exaggeration). It's a magical country that fills my heart just thinking about it and about being there. "I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air" has such a deeper meaning for me now :)

Here's the link to my 2010 trip. I hope the links to the pics still work!
Beware! There's a Birthday Mathom waiting to pounce!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.