Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Show will Premiere with Two Episodes September 2, Finale will air October 14

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 16 2022, 3:17pm

Post #1 of 24 (843 views)
Shortcut
Show will Premiere with Two Episodes September 2, Finale will air October 14 Can't Post

https://variety.com/...schedule-1235342347/

Exact times of release for different time zones in the article.

https://mobile.twitter.com/...vRj5SJ3AKOb6uGp8MnBw

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 16 2022, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 24 (790 views)
Shortcut
How interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

After saying September 2 all this time, it is actually September 1 in the U.S.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 16 2022, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 24 (765 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Us PST folks appear look to have luck on our side here if people are inclined to watch episodes immediately in the 9 o'clock hour.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin

Aug 16 2022, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 24 (745 views)
Shortcut
Simultaneously? [In reply to] Can't Post

"The episodes will launch at the same time around the world, so that all fans can experience them simultaneously.”

Yeah right - I wonder how many UK/Europeans are going to be so keen to see this that they stay up/get up at 2/3am?

Storm clouds

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Aug 16 2022, 5:40pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 16 2022, 5:48pm

Post #5 of 24 (739 views)
Shortcut
Better than... [In reply to] Can't Post

... blocking it until the evening of a certain day in every region while spoilers are already all over the internet.

So you can watch as soon as you have the time or are awake.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 16 2022, 5:48pm

Post #6 of 24 (741 views)
Shortcut
That schedule would allow an official discusson thread for each week's episode... [In reply to] Can't Post

That schedule (initial release of 2 episodes, then one per week) would allow for there to be an official discussion thread for each week's episode, if that is what the regulars of this board wanted to do. I imagine you'd have a rota so that it's someone's job to post the starter post by a deadline each week. Then that would make it easy to find the discussion about that particular episode, and prevent a confusion of many similar discussions.
That is, it would work like the many "read-throughs" the Reading Room has organised over the years, in which a new chapter of a Tolkien work is discussed each week.
I am not, by the way, proposing to organise this - I'm not even sure I'll be watching the show. So it's just a suggestion for others to take up if useful.

~~~~~~
"there is the internet truth that good comments encourage other good comments, and bad comments encourage other bad comments"

David Allen Green QC

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Aug 16 2022, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 24 (729 views)
Shortcut
That's a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we can get moderator support to find some objective guidelines– there are going to be a lot of annoying hot takes (both positive and negative), and it would be amazing if we could provide an environment for discussion as thoughtful and analytical as that of what the Reading Room supports, as opposed to a recreation of a live Twitter reaction feed.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 16 2022, 6:33pm

Post #8 of 24 (723 views)
Shortcut
Love the idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pinned threads for each episode would be a good thing in any case.
That way you can go back and discuss individual episodes weeks after they were released.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 16 2022, 7:09pm

Post #9 of 24 (706 views)
Shortcut
Like Frodo, these official discussions should not be "made for querulous pests" [In reply to] Can't Post

(oh wait, Frodo says he's not made for perilous quests... ah well never mind: Spooner Baggins at your service, and your family's!) Smile

There will I'm sure be hot takes, pile-ons, grandstanding, gatekeeping, etc. aplenty elsewhere on social media. So it's really whether enough of you want to do something else here.
It does seem to me that this forum is a good place to do something more considered, and less combatitive than social media often is nowadays. But of course I have no idea how many regulars of this board want to do that.

Up to the people who want to be involved to decide whether it is useful to have any house rules beyond the general Terms of Service (which already preclude excess negativity, repetition or personal attacks).

One to consider is a policy on spoliers. It might be helpful for people who don't watch the shows immediately to know that anything can be said about what happens in this episode, but that there won't be spoilers about future episodes (if the conversation carries on after more episodes have been released).

Anyway, time for to organise something if something is to be organised, I'd say.

~~~~~~
"there is the internet truth that good comments encourage other good comments, and bad comments encourage other bad comments"

David Allen Green QC

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Aug 16 2022, 7:24pm

Post #10 of 24 (702 views)
Shortcut
Can I draw on your background organizing in the Reading Room? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that the process typically consists of a signup thread where posters commit to a week’s discussion of a chapter— I suppose a similar process would make sense.

I wonder if one thread for immediate reactions, followed by a more Reading Room style discussion thread in the following day with some clear-cut guidelines (ie a space for engaging with the show) would work best in this circumstance— with a clear user base divide on pre-conceived ideas of the show, I wonder if that would be ideal.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin

Aug 16 2022, 7:57pm

Post #11 of 24 (687 views)
Shortcut
Certainly ... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I feel they could have made it a little earlier for the UK and Europe, so committed fans could have stayed up (until midnight, say) without now having to either spoiler-avoid for the whole day at work, or watch before work.

Storm clouds

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 16 2022, 8:03pm

Post #12 of 24 (682 views)
Shortcut
Raises hand [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The episodes will launch at the same time around the world, so that all fans can experience them simultaneously.”

Yeah right - I wonder how many UK/Europeans are going to be so keen to see this that they stay up/get up at 2/3am?

Me. That’s one, at least.

“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul

Archestratie
Rohan

Aug 16 2022, 8:16pm

Post #13 of 24 (672 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping with 3 episodes to begin, but whatever, this is fine. Starting with 2 just further confirms the rumors we heard that they filmed the first two episodes first then took a long hiatus before doing the rest of the season. I wonder if we'll see some weird costume changes between episodes 2 and 3 like sometimes happens in a series after the "pilot" episodes air..

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 16 2022, 10:14pm

Post #14 of 24 (633 views)
Shortcut
I'd say we have to acknowledge an important difference - this is all time-critical [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say we have to acknowledge an important difference between this & Read-throughs- if you want to discuss the episodes as they are released then this is all time-critical.

That changes something important. Someome preparing to lead a chapter discussion in the Reading Room could post one sentence just asking everyone to comment upon the chapter. But that wasn't what people usually did. More often, people prefered to post a long and complex analysis and then ask further questions. With a book, you can do that: you can agree to lead a chapter in six weeks time, and if you want you can spend a lot of that time thinking about it, researching it and writing stuff.

"Episode Leaders" can't do that of course if you are discussing episodes as they are released. They can't see the episode any earlier than anyone else. And they may see it later than everyone else, depending on time zones and personal schedules. But they need to get something posted urgently so that discussion can start before the next episode is up!

So you can't ask Episode leaders to do anything very complicated or demanding, I think. It might be that some folks can watch the episode & immediately write 1,000 words of sophisticated analysis. Amazing if they can. But best not to rely upon that, or seem to require it. I'd say that just getting a discussion started is service enough.

Also good to remember that this isn't the once-only chance. It doesn't have to be complete or perfect or definitive. If the series prospers it will remain avalable for some time I suppose, and then further "watch-throughs" could be organised if the community wants that. And then people would have a chance to prepare for as long as they might wish. Or If the series bombs...well, then it probably doesn't matter anyway.

My misgiving about having two discussions per episode (Immediate Reactions and then More Considered) would be that some folks might be ready to be More Considered immediately and some not. So I would worry you'd have a lot of duplication and extra work for little benefit. I'd suggest that it is best to keep things as simple as you can. The more there is to prganise, and the more posts there are to read, the harder it gets.

Maybe it is enough to attempt one official thread per episode, acknowledging the limitations, and feeling that the community can go round again later, if enough people are having fun?

But I don't really know - as I say, I think the time-critical nature of things is a new factor to work with.

That said, I think often the thing to do is to start out doing *something* and fix the problems as you go. That might be the thing to do if people are enthusiastic about doing a discussion week-by-week as the episodes are available. If people are enjoying it, then together you'll find a way to do it, learning as you go . And if people aren't enjoying it, then it will collapse & that is probaby all for the best.

Also remember that there's nothing to say you have to do this as episodes are released. Folks might prefer to wait until the series completes (October, I think?) and then start a "Don't be Hasty" considered discussion once all the immediate reactions are done & dusted, & if the consensus is that the series is worth a considered study. Or you could lag behind the broacast schedule by some other extent, depending on how long "Episode Leaders" want to organise their starter posts.

~~~~~~

David Allen Green QC

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 16 2022, 10:20pm

Post #15 of 24 (630 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

Really the only way is to have episode threads, and let people weigh in as they can. Discussion leaders will not work, as this is new content being released once a week.

But in 5-10 years, or whenever the show is over? Sure.

(This post was edited by Stranger Wings on Aug 16 2022, 10:20pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 17 2022, 9:24am

Post #16 of 24 (555 views)
Shortcut
I agree...and so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think the main benefit is to have one offical discussion thread for each episode, as otherwie users and admins will have to work with an unnavigatable mess of overlapping episode discussions. This is not to say that there shouldn't be a lot of other discussions - of course there should. It is just that it will be easier for everyone if there is an obvious focus.

It follows (as Stranger Wings has just said) that the priority is to get the official thread going as soon as possible after the episode airs, and before multiple threads start up anyway.

And I agree that probably means a standard welcome text* each time, rather than the person starting the thread having time for any analysis. (They can of course join in the discussion again later, having had time to think).

The question would then be: how to make those posts appear? Will there be a rota of registered users so that someone is responsible for posting each one? In that case, who is going to volunteer? If the task has become entirely administrative, does this board want to ask the Admins to do it? (This is of course yet another task that our volunteer admins would have to do for us all, and so not something to ask lightly. But I do think it might ultimately be a time-saver for them because if it works it would save the task of monitoring many overlapping discussions, & locking duplicates).

Visibility (on what may be a very busy board when the show starts): Elsewere in this thread Arannir has said: "Pinned threads for each episode would be a good thing in any case. That way you can go back and discuss individual episodes weeks after they were released." Visibility is important: how to do it?

I think it would be a good idea to pin "this week's episode" and maybe a few more. I don't think it would work to pin each one until the whole series is up there - that would soon take up so much space it would drive all other discussions off the 'front page'. In any case it could be valuable to find these discussions later; maybe much later. (For example, people might want to review good discussions of Series 1 when they are watching Series 2). And so pinning cannot be the permanent solution.

Reading Room experience may help again here. We normally ask people to use a standard formatting for the title of any post that is part of a Readthrough or other project. (For example "*** The Hobbit Readthrough [chapter number, title]...." That way the collection can always be found by searching on post title.

The other way is to do what the TORn Amateur Symposium did. This was an online symposium in which Reading Room folks wrote symposium papers & then we discussed them online. The group of users running it set up a user account (TORn Amateur Symposium) for the sole purpose of posting people's seminar papers, making announcements about the online symposiums etc. The people sharing this account then reverted to their own usual user accounts when they wanted to join in with discussion of the papers. That worked well for visibility while each symposium ws going on, and to this day you can find all the seminar papers and discussion by searching for posts by the User TORn Amateur Symposium. I think that approach would work best here, if the starter post is a standard text, rather than a personalised introduction ot the episode by a certain user.

That may be all I can do to help? I feel very much the visitor here (as I have said, I'm not sure whether I will watch the show, but I am absolutely sure I don't want to administer official discussions of a show that I might not watch! Smile). My aim is just to suggest ideas that come from past Reading Room projects, to see if they can be adapted for use here. It is of course right that enthusiasts for the show decides what this board wants as a community, and leads on getting it done.

__

* The standard text might be something like this (for example!)
Welcome to the official discussion thread for [Episode details: number, title, release date].
This discussion is for people who have seen all of this episode, and now want to discuss it. Nothing that happened in this episode or in previous ones is considered 'a spolier'.
It is the policy of all our boards to welcome all points of view. In practice this means you are welcome to disagree with other posters as much as you like. But you must do it courteously and respectfully, tollerate other points of view, and know when to 'agree to disagree'. Please see our Terms of Service for more detail of behaviours and content that aren't allowed.

So, over to you! What do you want to say (or to ask) about the episode?

~~~~~~

David Allen Green QC

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Aug 17 2022, 9:28am)

Archestratie
Rohan

Aug 17 2022, 10:09am

Post #17 of 24 (540 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Really the only way is to have episode threads, and let people weigh in as they can. Discussion leaders will not work, as this is new content being released once a week.

I agree. One thread per episode would be perfect with break-away threads to chase any side topics that come up as a result. I don't want to show up to TORn and have to track 10 threads all about the same thing. It's bad enough now we have like five threads on hair and beards.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 17 2022, 12:14pm

Post #18 of 24 (517 views)
Shortcut
In my experience... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I think the main benefit is to have one offical discussion thread for each episode, as otherwie users and admins will have to work with an unnavigatable mess of overlapping episode discussions. This is not to say that there shouldn't be a lot of other discussions - of course there should. It is just that it will be easier for everyone if there is an obvious focus.

It follows (as Stranger Wings has just said) that the priority is to get the official thread going as soon as possible after the episode airs, and before multiple threads start up anyway.

And I agree that probably means a standard welcome text* each time, rather than the person starting the thread having time for any analysis. (They can of course join in the discussion again later, having had time to think).

The question would then be: how to make those posts appear? Will there be a rota of registered users so that someone is responsible for posting each one? In that case, who is going to volunteer? If the task has become entirely administrative, does this board want to ask the Admins to do it? (This is of course yet another task that our volunteer admins would have to do for us all, and so not something to ask lightly. But I do think it might ultimately be a time-saver for them because if it works it would save the task of monitoring many overlapping discussions, & locking duplicates).

Visibility (on what may be a very busy board when the show starts): Elsewere in this thread Arannir has said: "Pinned threads for each episode would be a good thing in any case. That way you can go back and discuss individual episodes weeks after they were released." Visibility is important: how to do it?

I think it would be a good idea to pin "this week's episode" and maybe a few more. I don't think it would work to pin each one until the whole series is up there - that would soon take up so much space it would drive all other discussions off the 'front page'. In any case it could be valuable to find these discussions later; maybe much later. (For example, people might want to review good discussions of Series 1 when they are watching Series 2). And so pinning cannot be the permanent solution.

Reading Room experience may help again here. We normally ask people to use a standard formatting for the title of any post that is part of a Readthrough or other project. (For example "*** The Hobbit Readthrough [chapter number, title]...." That way the collection can always be found by searching on post title.

The other way is to do what the TORn Amateur Symposium did. This was an online symposium in which Reading Room folks wrote symposium papers & then we discussed them online. The group of users running it set up a user account (TORn Amateur Symposium) for the sole purpose of posting people's seminar papers, making announcements about the online symposiums etc. The people sharing this account then reverted to their own usual user accounts when they wanted to join in with discussion of the papers. That worked well for visibility while each symposium ws going on, and to this day you can find all the seminar papers and discussion by searching for posts by the User TORn Amateur Symposium. I think that approach would work best here, if the starter post is a standard text, rather than a personalised introduction ot the episode by a certain user.

That may be all I can do to help? I feel very much the visitor here (as I have said, I'm not sure whether I will watch the show, but I am absolutely sure I don't want to administer official discussions of a show that I might not watch! Smile). My aim is just to suggest ideas that come from past Reading Room projects, to see if they can be adapted for use here. It is of course right that enthusiasts for the show decides what this board wants as a community, and leads on getting it done.

__

* The standard text might be something like this (for example!)
Welcome to the official discussion thread for [Episode details: number, title, release date].
This discussion is for people who have seen all of this episode, and now want to discuss it. Nothing that happened in this episode or in previous ones is considered 'a spolier'.
It is the policy of all our boards to welcome all points of view. In practice this means you are welcome to disagree with other posters as much as you like. But you must do it courteously and respectfully, tollerate other points of view, and know when to 'agree to disagree'. Please see our Terms of Service for more detail of behaviours and content that aren't allowed.

So, over to you! What do you want to say (or to ask) about the episode?

...regarding episode threads for Star Wars TV shows, the best start is to post the thread the day before the episode airs. That way people can start speculating and getting excited about what's to come (and if there are some online previews, they can discuss those), and then the episode drops, and the thread is already ready and waiting. In between episodes, this is also helpful, as in a new episode thread, people can speculate about it before it airs by continuing to discuss elements of the previous thread.

It's a model that I've found works really well.

Then, of course, there's a separate thread or threads for discussion of the show overall. But that's a separate beast.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 17 2022, 4:47pm

Post #19 of 24 (457 views)
Shortcut
"It's a model that I've found works really well" [In reply to] Can't Post

That does sound like a promising way of doing things! Experience with other sets of excited fans wanting to discuss TV series is of course sometimes going to be more helpful than our experience wit weekly book discussoins. Good that we have both.

~~~~~~

David Allen Green QC

Archestratie
Rohan

Aug 18 2022, 9:51am

Post #20 of 24 (392 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
...regarding episode threads for Star Wars TV shows, the best start is to post the thread the day before the episode airs. That way people can start speculating and getting excited about what's to come (and if there are some online previews, they can discuss those), and then the episode drops, and the thread is already ready and waiting. In between episodes, this is also helpful, as in a new episode thread, people can speculate about it before it airs by continuing to discuss elements of the previous thread.

This is the most effective format I've seen as well. If we can get the community to hold to this, it will serve everyone's interests for the most part. I can see breakaway threads to discuss symbolism, hair styles, beards, accents, costuming, or whatever, but when it comes to plot and characterization, a single dedicated thread is the way to go.

Posting it early just reinforces the expectation, and having the title be something generic like "ROP Ep.3 Discussion Thread" helps keep spoilers out of sight for those who won't get to watch until later in the day.

entmaiden
Forum Admin

Aug 19 2022, 1:56am

Post #21 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
I think you can use the model from the RR as a start, [In reply to] Can't Post

but the discussion "leaders" don't have to do much more than post an opening thread with their impression and then let the others continue the discussion.

Someone here suggested posting the opening thread the day before the episode (this also helps the AU/NZ timezone participants). I think that's a great idea.

Ataahua
Forum Admin

Aug 19 2022, 3:34am

Post #22 of 24 (333 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think of this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Someone here suggested posting the opening thread the day before the episode (this also helps the AU/NZ timezone participants).

Excellent point! If the starter post isn't up the day before (US time) then we're likely to get someone from an earlier time zone posting anyway.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Archestratie
Rohan

Aug 19 2022, 10:07am

Post #23 of 24 (305 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Someone here suggested posting the opening thread the day before the episode (this also helps the AU/NZ timezone participants).

Excellent point! If the starter post isn't up the day before (US time) then we're likely to get someone from an earlier time zone posting anyway.

I suggest using an abbreviations like S1:E3 for season one, episode three and the like in the title just to help keep future thread searches organized. If possible, that is.

entmaiden
Forum Admin

Aug 20 2022, 2:11am

Post #24 of 24 (273 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the original poster wants, they can add some comments but it's not required. As a veteran of the LOTR and Hobbit movies, discussions will be very animated.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.