Fiesta Friday starts now. Come join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 13 2022, 1:53pm

Post #26 of 55 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Still on the hot side of warm here - [In reply to] Can't Post

there's supposed to be a change in the weather after the weekend, but I don't know how much rain that's likely to bring. Anything would be welcome! Our area isn't on water restrictions yet, but large parts of England are. Snag is, if we receive heavy rain a lot of it's likely to run off, as the ground is baked and less absorbent - just when it needs it most. Ah well, the washing is drying quickly! I really don't enjoy the heat, so am staying out of the sun mostly. I went camping for a few days - very pleasant - and had to dismantle the tent in stages on Wednesday, cowering in the shade between times, as I was too hot. No doubt I will look back on this period fondly when we're all wrapped up and shivering in winter, facing rocketing fuel costs. In the meantime I will sit in the shade, watch the butterflies and water the most desperate plants in the evening.
I'm liking the sound of those stadium nachos... yum! (I had to look them up actually) happy weekend, folks - cheers! In my fridge for this evening is a bottle of juicy pear cider - never tried it before but it sounds good. Cider is, for me, a hot weather drink, whereas I'll drink beer any time.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 13 2022, 2:55pm

Post #27 of 55 (1072 views)
Shortcut
it's the famous COVID choir [In reply to] Can't Post

that you probably heard about, where half the choir came down with COVID in the very very early days of the pandemic and two of them died. There was a solid article on them in the NY Times a year or so ago, about "how they learned to sing again." I've sung with and for the director in three other choirs.

It very well could have been the choir I was singing with in Seattle. We were scheduled to rehearse on Monday (the Skagit choir met Tuesday), but our board of directors felt uneasy about the news & cancelled the rehearsal. Later that week one of our basses became symptomatic; he was probably infectious on Monday. (He's just fine btw.)

To answer your question, it is s a non-auditioned community choir of about 100 people.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 5:34pm

Post #28 of 55 (1060 views)
Shortcut
At least you had good weather for the camping! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you do much walking those days? It looks like cooler temps and days of rain are coming your way, I hope the moisture is mild enough to be soak-able.

Pear cider - that sounds refreshing, enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 6:08pm

Post #29 of 55 (1060 views)
Shortcut
That awful time [In reply to] Can't Post

at the start of COVID - I've never forgotten what happened in that choir, and how yours avoided that fate. Glad to know that the member who came down with it survived okay.

It must be a strange feeling, but a good one, joining that choir! Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 13 2022, 6:44pm

Post #30 of 55 (1058 views)
Shortcut
The way my knee is [In reply to] Can't Post

means walking any distance is slow and uncomfortable, quite apart from the heat, so sitting under the trees reading my book and admiring the scenery worked well this time.

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 13 2022, 8:37pm

Post #31 of 55 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Apparently our A/C unit can do that too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I personally think our landlord bought the cheapest/most inefficient window unit he could find, so I don't have great expectations from it. This little dehumidifier seems to be helping out so far - for a couple of nights I've noticed my hands/feet feeling slightly drier than before, which is fine with me as long as it's not alarmingly dry and the humidity is gone.

Ah, yes haha, quite fun! Oop, maybe I didn't mention - I'll be moving in with my girlfriend, so looking for a 1 bedroom! Fun to be taking this next step and hopefully find a nice little place we can feel comfortable in for more than a year.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2022, 12:06am

Post #32 of 55 (1028 views)
Shortcut
What, no more [In reply to] Can't Post

very odd or unruly roomies anymore?!

Congrats, you two, and may something both nice and affordable turn up for you!

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 14 2022, 5:24pm

Post #33 of 55 (918 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! Will be crossing our fingers. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2022, 6:54pm

Post #34 of 55 (915 views)
Shortcut
I'm here for the food!!! *slaver-slurp* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the yummy choice of joy-joy foodstuff! PERFECT!

Everything I know about football I learned watching "The Replacements"... so if Gloria Gaynor is playing in the background, I will survive any ol' football you wanna put on :)

Still a busy time here in MI.... so I'm dashing through for the moment. But I actually DID finish my scrappy shabby shed made from my decking/strawberry bed leftovers and roll of rusting tin. Pickle was, of course, my project manager and lifted his leg... uh paw... in approval.

I'll be back in a bit, but for now... I hope everyone is well and that the weather is being kind. It's in the mid-70 degrees here for the past few days. GLORIOUS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 15 2022, 12:41am

Post #35 of 55 (874 views)
Shortcut
I'm back and yesterday was my birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the best gift every - all my kids (and their significant others) home! Hubby made Buffalo food - wings, Sahlen's hot dogs, Wardynski Polish sausage on the grill, and the kids made a cherry pie to die for. I'm looking forward to digging into to Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman, a gift from my son and his wife, and making Limoncello with the kit hubby bought me.

Last week we were at the engagement party for my daughter and her fiance at his parents' home. It was fun to meet everyone, but 8 hours of that wore me out. It was my only day off and we had to get to New Jersey and back - just a couple hours but it made for a long day. I'm still covering vacations. Ownership will be changing soon so we'll see how my schedule changes. I'm tired.

We did get to our family cottage for almost a week at the beginning of July. It was good to see it after 3 years. Unfortunately, my uncle didn't plan for Canadian tax law. We'll have to sell it to cover the taxes. After 60+ years, the cottage my grandpa built with his own hands will go to someone else and I will have nothing left of my family. I gave up a lot of things thinking I would at least have that to retire to. It's heartbreaking. I spent what time we had when we weren't doing repairs rambling around the island. I will miss it more than I can articulate.

Off to finish some chores and then bed. Another 6 day, 60+ hour week ahead. Then one more week and my youngest is off to college!

Have a great week!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2022, 2:58am

Post #36 of 55 (854 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I 'heard' your subject line in Bilbo's voice, including the stutter! Laugh

In Reply To
I will miss it more than I can articulate.

I can empathise. I grew up in a state house (a Government-owned house that we lived in as a rental) and left it aged 13, and no matter where else I lived as a teen that place was always 'home'. As an adult, I once dreamed that I returned to it and when I woke up, I had tears running down my face. Sometimes, a house is very much more than just a place we grew up - it's love, it's family, it's everything we still desire (and remember with the unique quality of childhood idealism).

Have you taken a heap of photos of the cottage and its surroundings?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 15 2022, 5:21am

Post #37 of 55 (843 views)
Shortcut
I promised a Sunday report [In reply to] Can't Post

but didn't say which Sunday.

Anyway, the cats and I are living in the guest room. Someone gave me (us) a trundle bed, much nicer than sleeping on the floor. Tomorrow the contractor rips out the kitchen cabinets -- water damage -- to replace them with pullout drawers of various depths. Work is going well; I'm deciding whether to extend the mortgage in order to complete making one bath accessible.

This has been an emotional weekend commemorating the passage of the first Mr. E. Both husbands were taken by cancer, and grieving the second has deepened the pain of the first. One day at a time ...

I enjoy vicariously sharing your lives and thank you for your friendships across the miles and years.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 1:17pm

Post #38 of 55 (818 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful celebration you had with your family and it was great that you were able to spend some time at your Grandfather's cabin. I'm so glad you had some time off... but it sounds like it comes at a cost of covering more hours for others. Maybe the new management/ownership will give you a better (more fair) schedule by hiring enough people to cover the hours. Here's hoping!

It's so cruel that you have to lose property to cover the taxes in Canada. That sort of thing just boggles the mind when the family has to lose its heritage and nothing can be worked out. I'm so sorry you're losing such a beautiful part of your life. My Mom & Dad's home on the lake they built after he came back from WWII and where we all grew up was lost when none of us could afford to buy it. The new owners promised to keep it as it was after seeing it all their lives; but within 6 months it was torn down. It's an emptiness hard to describe...so my heart breaks for your loss. *warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 1:32pm

Post #39 of 55 (813 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug* So much going on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any ONE of the things you're facing would be exhausting... both emotionally and physically. That you've lost the buffer of the apartment you were in has put you in the middle of it all, but hopefully it will inspire the work to go faster with you right there. Just having a bed bring some relief really speaks to how much upheaval you're in. You are one of the strongest people I've ever known *massive hug* You're an inspiration :)

You made me giggle with your observation that you didn't tell us which Sunday you'd be reporting on ;) I was wondering how the move was going. It sounds like it won't be finished for quite a while. I'll bet if you had that accessible bathroom put in, having it would make your days better even though it adds to the mortgage. Quality of the day is what it's about now :) Days like this make your losses heavier... especially those of your loved ones. *more hugs* You're a powerhouse, m'dear. I pray for your relief to come soon and that you'll find contentment just around the corner :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 1:39pm

Post #40 of 55 (813 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your son's gift has put the "lounge" in loungechair with that decked-out beauty! A perfect addition to your lovely retreat you've created :)

My hummingbirds are really busy, too. The signs of the end of summer are starting to show. My Japanese Maple's leaves are turning from green to burgundy then soon to red.

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and that you have great weather to spend all the time you can in your sweet new chair :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 2:06pm

Post #41 of 55 (814 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma said it all. You've been storm-tossed for a long time now. I hope you find yourself coming into calm waters soon.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 2:19pm

Post #42 of 55 (811 views)
Shortcut
Lots of waiting going on, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Weather and apartment are both frustrating to wait for when you don't have a lot of control over what's going on! It looks like Cali will be having some rain this week. I hope it's not too much too fast. I hope you had a relaxing weekend. No chaos is a very good thing :D CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 2:51pm

Post #43 of 55 (808 views)
Shortcut
Upheaval can be good and/or bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! You've got some challenges going on! I peeked at your upcoming move, and I'm so glad it's something that you're happy about. This current apt was a great bridge between all your chaos after your Father passing, clearing everything out, and recovery; but this one sounds like the perfect place to land :D

The conflict with your close family member is a hard one. I had that with my closest sister when Mom passed away. It's hard to get your head around let alone wonder how to get past it... but we do :) It's just hard when things aren't the same. I'm so sorry. This move sounds like it's coming at a good time :D

*big hug* I hope you have a great week!!!!!!!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 3:02pm

Post #44 of 55 (808 views)
Shortcut
It's a busy season :D [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTS of seeds, prepping, planning and getting dirt under your nails; but what a great way to slow things down and get ready for the plants, trees, and out-of-doors to wake up from their winter sleep. It's coming fast!!! :D

BTW... you had me at sponge cake! *drooling commences*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 3:06pm

Post #45 of 55 (807 views)
Shortcut
mmmmm.... Nachos! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of those delicacies that catches me every time! *slaver, slurp*

Hey! Maybe the BC's will inspire the ABs to a stand-up-and-cheer win! :D I hope it went well. And yes, nachos can be used as a cure for disappointment ;) ANY EXCUSE IS OK!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2022, 3:12pm

Post #46 of 55 (807 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Fellow Shade-Chaser! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you got some camping in; but I'm right with you on the heat and the shade. When I mow the lawn (about 3/4 of my 1 acre) I time it for each area's most shade coverage. I'm using the push mower for exercise; but NOT in the sun if I can help it!

It always amazes me how plants/trees/etc. can survive the extreme heat and extreme cold and just keep going. But the drought adds a layer that I know my trees are not dealing with well.

I hope you have some sweet mild rain over several different days to wake the ground up again. Hopefully you can get at least one nice camping trip in great weather before the cold sets in :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2022, 9:15pm

Post #47 of 55 (802 views)
Shortcut
Lookit THAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a very unique shed, gramma! Do those tin windows pop open? How did you ever come up with the idea for it?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2022, 9:31pm

Post #48 of 55 (798 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a perfect celebration you had! Cool And congrats on yet another future member of your ever-growing family!

*looks into Canadian tax law* Oh no, because the cottage wasn't his primary residence, it's taxed? Is there nothing the family can do to work through this, or is the cottage value just too great? What a grief to lose it!

And how strange it will be, to be an "empty-nester". Do try to get as much rest when you can!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2022, 10:38pm

Post #49 of 55 (793 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

A Sunday update is good, no matter which Sunday! I'm glad you've got good sleeping accommodations. Pullout drawers are great, no reaching underneath and way in the back to locate an errant pot.

If it's at all possible, being able to renovate for the accessible bath at this time would be ideal, I'm hoping it can work out!

Many *hugs* to you, these times of remembrance will always be felt deeply in the heart. You have blessed to have had two wonderful, loving guys in your life. HeartHeart

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 15 2022, 11:37pm

Post #50 of 55 (788 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, hope you had a great weekend too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.