Fiesta Friday starts now. Come join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 12 2022, 4:15pm

Post #1 of 55 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Fiesta Friday starts now. Come join us! Can't Post

Hello everyone, and welcome to Fiesta Friday!!

I hope you all have had a wonderful week and that summer has cooled down (or winter warmed up) in your part of the world. We're excited that American football pre-season starts this weekend and Denver *finally* has a decent quarterback (Russell Wilson - been to pro-bowls, won Super Bowls, etc.). Considering we've had more than 10 quarterbacks play in the last 5 years, none of whom were that good, we're looking forward to watching him in his Denver debut tomorrow night. We'll be looking in on my brother's family pets so we'll cheer the team on with our furry friends.

How about you? Fun plans for the weekend? Let us know! The buffet is piled high with hot dogs, burgers, stadium nachos, and some salads and yummy desserts, and kegs have been tapped and bottles uncorked at the bar. Tell us how you're doing!

*kicks juke box* Magic by {{Olivia Newton John}} starts to play. HeartHeartHeart

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!! CoolSmileHeart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 55 (1045 views)
Shortcut
It starts this weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats to Denver for nabbing a decent quaterback! Cool I'm still getting through the baseball season - Red Sox are having a downer of a year. Unsure

I'll grab one of these hot dogs, thank you, Altaira, and a bottle of sweet iced tea! The humidity has finally gone away, and I'm thinking of just relaxing on the backyard deck in one of the new folding camp chairs our son gave us - they've got drink holders and storage bins on the arm rests, and adjustable leg rests. Our hummingbirds have been draining the nectar feeder at an alarming rate, and have been very aggressive towards other birds. More turkey hens are bringing their chicks to feed under the bird feeders, and this morning I caught four raccoons in the act of chowing down out there.

Ah, ONJ - sweet voice! Rest in blessed peace. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 12 2022, 4:56pm

Post #3 of 55 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Relaxing sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love deck chairs. We have some with cup holders, but storage bins? Ha!

I'm envious of all the birds & wildlife you've been seeing although the other day I did see, or rather hear, some western kingbirds (see below). When their youngsters fledge, they're very protective of them. They can often be seen at the very top of trees, loudly challenge anyone and everyone to dare to take them on. Their chatter was so loud I had to find out where it was coming from and wasn't surprised to see them at the top of a neighbor's tree. Laugh

I hope you have a great weekend relaxing (and the Red Sox give you a win or two this week).

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 12 2022, 5:32pm

Post #4 of 55 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Warming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been slowly but surely ticking up here, in terms of temperature. Still not in the 90s, but some odd humidity (especially at night) that's messing with me quite a bit as we don't usually have this much. I bought a small dehumidifier this week, which has already collected a little puddle of water in its tray. I'm sure we're in store for a hot September/October though, so maybe I'll look more fondly at things now.

Still in a holding period in terms of the next apartment search (a bit too early to fully dive in yet), so I'll cross my fingers for a movie or two this weekend, some reading and maybe a nighttime swim in the pool. I'm counting down the days until I can leave my lackluster apartment for good! Evil

Have a great weekend, folks!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 12 2022, 5:42pm

Post #5 of 55 (1035 views)
Shortcut
*de* humidifier? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! Those wouldn't sell too well here in Colorado. We have two portable humidifiers we use mostly during the winter as the one that's attached to the furnace tends to leak. The closest thing we have to a dehumidifier is the fan in our master bathroom which we never use because showers never produce enough humidity to fog up the mirror!

Is the apartment search on hold due to the term of the current lease? In the meantime, that nighttime swim sounds like just the thing to take your mind off of it!

Happy, happy weekend! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Aug 12 2022, 7:01pm

Post #6 of 55 (1042 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect Seattle got the best of Russell, but who knows? I'm not much of a football fan . . . plus, it has not yet ceased to annoy me that all the sports seasons are overlapping now. Used to be baseball was in the summer, football was fall, and basketball was winter.

Don't mind me, I'm grumpy today; just got let down hard by a family member whom I love dearly--but have to admit, can be a self-centered git at times.

But I love a good (kosher) stadium dog, and I'll take some chips and a hard lemonade with it.

Weekend plans are: packing! Which is going really easily - not a surprise considering I just moved in here 8 months ago and have taken 15 boxes of stuff, at least, to Goodwill or the local thrift shop since then. Some long walks too as we're down in the 70s now, perfect weather, but will be heading up toward 90 later next week. At least now that the days are getting shorter we cool off sooner of an evening.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 9:43pm

Post #7 of 55 (1027 views)
Shortcut
The coldest day of the year [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a changeable week: Wednesday it poured down, yesterday was delightful, and today is a mite gloomy. Sun is forecast for later, though.

As per my subject line, the coldest day of the year pretty well all over the country was yesterday, with several areas below 0 (C, so not so very cold compared to many places). We had a frost here, the first of the year, which considering it's nearly spring is cutting things fine! It was a lovely day, the sort that often follow upon frosty mornings, and when I'd had enough of writing I did some seed sowing for indoor propagation. More of same will be done over the weekend: tomatoes, capsicum, aubergine, and if I don't run out of enthusiasm or seed trays cucumber and melons. We'll also start some seed potatoes in a tub outside. Peas are germinating outdoors, though the beans are being reluctant to do the same - they might need the soil temperature a little higher.

In the time I've spent typing this, the sun has come out! So gardening is definitely on, after we've moved the sheep. Mr Kimi has made a sponge cake, so morning tea is all set.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 12 2022, 9:54pm

Post #8 of 55 (1021 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, definitely not a product that's sold much in your neck of the woods. Angelic

Ah, we've got until the end of October at the current place, so it's just a bit too early still for us to fully immerse ourselves in what's available out there.

Thanks, you too! Hope you enjoy watching the game!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:12pm

Post #9 of 55 (1019 views)
Shortcut
The bins are just big enough [In reply to] Can't Post

to hold a paperback or small book - or a bag of snacks! Laugh

Love the yellow coloring on those kingbirds! I do enjoy loud birdsong, even when it's the "get away from here" call.

Sox did win last night - so that's a good start to the weekend! Enjoy your game, it should be a good one! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:21pm

Post #10 of 55 (1017 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya [In reply to] Can't Post

on the dehumidifier! High humidity at night can making sleeping very uncomfortable. Our bedroom AC unit can run as AC, dehumidifier, or just window fan.

I remember the "fun" you had, moving into that apartment. Will you and your roomies be looking together, or are you heading out on your own?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:22pm

Post #11 of 55 (1018 views)
Shortcut
I finally put my winter duvet on last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most unusual to have it go on the bed so late in the year! I'm not sure how long it'll last, given that the overnight temps are meant to rise again next week.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:24pm

Post #12 of 55 (1017 views)
Shortcut
As long as the calories are vitual [In reply to] Can't Post

a good stadium 'dog is delicious! And helps you get over nuisances. The good thing is, you've got other good family and very awesome friends you can turn to. Smile

Packing? You're not moving again, are you? Shocked

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:26pm

Post #13 of 55 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Dehumidifiers are necessary down here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some use them in summer, when the humidity can get pretty revolting. I use them in winter so that my home can feel a bit warmer. (Also, my gas heater puts *more* moisture in the air - I should have thought that through a bit more when I replaced my old gas heater a few years ago.)

It'd be nice to experience a summer where it doesn't feel like I'm breathing through a wet blanket. Just for a change. Cool

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 12 2022, 11:30pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:29pm

Post #14 of 55 (1022 views)
Shortcut
The sports gods giveth, and the sports gods taketh away. [In reply to] Can't Post

I woke to news that the Black Caps (cricket) have won their second T20 match against the West Indies. I'll keep that in mind when the All Blacks (rugby) are smoked by South Africa tomorrow morning. (The rugby lads aren't doing well.)

It's practically lunchtime here so I'll help myself to some nachos from the buffet. Have a great weekend, everyone!

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 13 2022, 12:38am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:33pm

Post #15 of 55 (1015 views)
Shortcut
So strange to hear of 0 C being the coldest temp [In reply to] Can't Post

when we get days below 0 F here! Laugh But do be wary of icing on the roads and pathways when the air hits that temp.

That's a fair amount of seedlings you're starting! I recall that potato tub you have, it's a very efficient way to grow them. And do peas love the cooler temps - are you growing pod peas or snap peas or both kinds?

Sponge cake! What time is morning tea? Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2022, 11:36pm

Post #16 of 55 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, as they say, there's always a "next time"! Wink

And the occasional miracle does happen...

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 12 2022, 11:57pm

Post #17 of 55 (1012 views)
Shortcut
That's still okay by us! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect Seattle got the best of Russell

As with Peyton Manning, a Russell Williams at 3/4 or 1/2 of his best is still way better than what we've had lately.

Darn it all about your family member. Nice weather and some quality outdoor time should take the sting off. Are you packing for another trip? Whatever the reason, enjoy the weekend!

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 13 2022, 12:03am

Post #18 of 55 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Cold accompanied by humidity [In reply to] Can't Post

..can be more bone-chilling than colder and dryer. I hope things warmed up a bit for your gardening and sheep moving today.

Morning tea? Do you also have afternoon tea? Is that comparable to breakfast and 2nd breakfast? I suspect it depends on how fast the sponge cake disappears. Wink

Happy, warmer weekend!

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 13 2022, 12:11am

Post #19 of 55 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Truer words :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the time of year we usually enjoy watching rugby on Saturday (usually a replay) and football on Sunday. But, oh my goodness has it been painful to watch the All Blacks the last couple of games. Pirate We used to try to avoid spoilers, but any more B.G. checks the score which influences whether we watch the entire game or just highlights.

We watched the T20 game earlier today which was fun. B.G. got a kick counting down to the end of the game saying things like: "okay, they need 120 runs off of the next two balls to win." Laugh

Stay warm and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 12:43am

Post #20 of 55 (1013 views)
Shortcut
ROFL, that's so mean. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
B.G. got a kick counting down to the end of the game saying things like: "okay, they need 120 runs off of the next two balls to win." Laugh

Love it! Laugh (Although I know not to be smug about cricket because wow can can that sport be rough for fans.)

And yeah, it's not so much that the ABs are losing that hurts; it's that they're playing so badly as they lose. I've never seen them so bereft of ideas, spark and skills before. It's painful to watch.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 1:06am

Post #21 of 55 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even quite a mild temperature can indeed feel bone-chilling in high humidity.

The sponge cake should see us through the weekend. On the weekends we have morning and afternoon tea, and maybe supper as well :) Much more abstemious (and less hobbit-like) during the week.

Still fluctuating between sunshine and showers, with wind gusts livening things up. Getting things done between the showers, though. And the sheep are safely moved.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 1:10am

Post #22 of 55 (1010 views)
Shortcut
The coldest place in the country [In reply to] Can't Post

(inhabited areas - obviously the mountain tops are a different story) was I think -7.5, about 18 F. So yes, nothing like you cope with in winter!

Pod and snap. They do seem to cope with lower temperatures that many other plants.

Afternoon tea at three. Shall I set an extra place in the conservatory? :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 1:13am

Post #23 of 55 (1008 views)
Shortcut
It's been a strange season. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice to see the blades of grass sparkling in the sun, but yes, so very late for any real chill. We seem to be alternating air flows from the tropics and the pole lately.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Aug 13 2022, 4:15am

Post #24 of 55 (1006 views)
Shortcut
I am in fact moving again [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been on the wait list for a place where I can buy a "lifetime tenancy" and not have to worry about rents going up ever again. I expected it would take longer but several units came open recently. Same size & essentially same layout as my current apartment, but with a nicer view and a garage - and instead of being 20 minutes upvalley in a town with very few conveniences, I will be on the outskirts of the larger town in the valley. And as it happens, right next door to the Y and to the church where my new choir rehearses. I'm hoping this is the last move!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2022, 12:21pm

Post #25 of 55 (973 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Closer to a lot more things, but with a better view, AND a garage! And - you'll be in a choir again; you must have been missing that! Does it have many participants?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.