Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Weekly Lost Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 6:07am

Post #1 of 38 (331 views)
Shortcut
Weekly Lost Thread Can't Post

I am still proccesing the episode, so I have nothing to say yet.
What did you think?

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

(This post was edited by YodatheHobbit on Mar 15 2007, 6:11am)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 7:40am

Post #2 of 38 (193 views)
Shortcut
Wheee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much to say, except that I really liked this episode! But then, I really like just about every episode!

My favorite part was the whole "bird" storyline, followed by getting more of Claire's backstory. I also loved the way the episode ended. Ane may I just say that Desmond is one of my favorite characters on the show? And that I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the Others again, especially Juliet?

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 7:56am

Post #3 of 38 (146 views)
Shortcut
lost spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha. Jack: "Touchdown!! YES! We are Marshall!!! (Oops. Wrong story...)" Kate: "What the hell?"
Well, I really liked Danielle telling Kate about how she knows that if she finds Alex she knows she wont know her. Can't wait for a Danielle flashback next season. I also enjoyed Charlie's reading of Claire's note and the fact that we finally learned more pre-planecrash Claire. Can you believe this was only her second off island flashback? It was great seeing her actively go and find out what was going on with Charlie and Desmond. This episode is a new favorite for me. We're getting answers again and week we find out how Locke got in the wheelchair!!! I think if the many people who have stopped watching see these episodes they'd fall in love with the show again.

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

(This post was edited by YodatheHobbit on Mar 15 2007, 7:59am)

River Woman
The Shire

Mar 15 2007, 11:08am

Post #4 of 38 (158 views)
Shortcut
OK. This has got to stop. Right now. It's just not fair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pulling my hair out!

I don't have satellite on my TV. And here in the UK, Sky Television outbid Channel 4 to the airing rights of season 3.
Consequently, I am having severe Lost withdrawal symptoms. You know the feelings, the constant worry that Hurley may lose some weight and you weren't there to witness it. Kate and Sawyer get it on and you miss it. Jack stops being the self depravating medic and finally kicks back and you never knew it. So many things - and no current series.

Excuse me.

*Screaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm*

That's better.

And this weekly thread. Do I read or don't I? So I read and and discover all the stuff that is going on - and I want to weep. So I don't read - and stay in the dark, which is no fun.

The fact that I will have to wait until the dvd is released in utterly ... well ... so not on!

I have no idea why channel 4 missed out - they would not explain that to me - and no, I really don't want satellite - for the one programe that I watch, I don't need the 941 others that I would never need.

*sigh* Alright. You can go back to enjoying yourselves now, I've had my rant.

PS. Can you just tell me one thing? Are the Others the remnants of the original Dharma experiment, or not? Has this been divulged yet?

Thanks a million or 108.

**** Far over the plain Éowyn saw the glitter of their spears, as she stood still, alone before the doors of the silent house. ***

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 12:06pm

Post #5 of 38 (130 views)
Shortcut
Online Episodes [In reply to] Can't Post

River Woman, did you know you can watch Lost legally online? The episodes are here at abc.com. Before I had DVR I went there to watch if I missed an episode.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

River Woman
The Shire

Mar 15 2007, 2:39pm

Post #6 of 38 (141 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that, Morwen ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do know about the online stuff - right now my pc is old and clunky and freezes if anything too complicated/visual is run on it. I have tried watching on line, but get frustrated when the the whole thing freezes after two minutes. However, in a few weeks time, I will have a whizzy new pc, (hopefully with bells on) so that I can catch up with all of season 3. Laugh

I only hope that you can watch episodes retrospectively :o)

Strange thing is, House MD, is now very popular over here, yet channel 5 had no problem picking season 3 of the series up. I guess some things we will never know the answer to, nor understand.

Until the new pc arrives - I shall champ at the bit! But be warned - once I start watching ...

**** Far over the plain Éowyn saw the glitter of their spears, as she stood still, alone before the doors of the silent house. ***

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 4:23pm

Post #7 of 38 (158 views)
Shortcut
Good episode [In reply to] Can't Post

though killing off Russian dude didn't seem entirely necessary but that's one less character to worry about now. Locke is freaking insane (I'm beginning to really dislike his character). And Claire and Jack are siblings...nice. I wonder when that will be revealed to them? Will Charlie just die already...seriously! I know there are a lot of Charlie fans here (heck I was in season 1) but his character is increasingly more annoying with each episode.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 5:57pm

Post #8 of 38 (110 views)
Shortcut
What I like [In reply to] Can't Post

is that we're getting more questions! I don't care so much about the answers; they can be doled out sparingly. But what keeps it interesting for me is the twists and surprises they keep throwing at us.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 6:26pm

Post #9 of 38 (121 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

to an extent. But there are still questions that have never been answered from season 1 (what was Jack's visions of his father all about? Why was Locke paralized {looks like we'll get that answer next Wednesday...finally}. What is the monster and it's purpose {sorry, but we really haven't been given a clear answer yet, even with more monster action in this season and last})?

I still love all the new questions that keep coming up but just like soap opera's, I fear many questions will never get answered (due to so much time passing).

I still love "Lost" though...still my favorite show on TV right now. Heroes comes in a close second though. Cool

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 7:07pm

Post #10 of 38 (108 views)
Shortcut
What *I* think is... [In reply to] Can't Post

that either the DVD had better come out soon

or

it had better come back to mainstream TV channels!

-e_H-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 7:55pm

Post #11 of 38 (143 views)
Shortcut
We got a major hint about Jack's father on island... [In reply to] Can't Post

when it appeared that Mr. Eko's bro walking around was actually the monster judging, testing him, and getting him to do things. So logically we can assume that Jack's dad was also the monster. It did help Jack find the caves for shelter and his fathers body which like Eko's brothers body was also missing. My guess is the black smoke can read peoples minds and it treats people based on those readings.

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 8:01pm

Post #12 of 38 (132 views)
Shortcut
Par Avion? [In reply to] Can't Post

What does that episode title mean?

i loved this episodeSmile. Finally we're getting some answers. So John and Jack are the only 'pure' ones that the others want. And to me it looks like that the others a planning on creating a society of people who are all 'pure' and good. I guess Cindy was one of the good ones too. Seeing the all so angry and stubborn Jack playing football with Tom was the most shocking thing ever! I was completley blown away.

Now that the Losties have finally found the others camp i can't wait to see what their next step would be! I don't watch any of the previews so i have no clue what to expect. All i know is that we'll learn about Locke's wheel chair problem.

This episode felt more like a season one episode. I feel LOST is picking up pace again. Everystory line was interesting last night. Loved the bird, loved the security fence, loved claire's flashback.

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 8:03pm

Post #13 of 38 (118 views)
Shortcut
or [In reply to] Can't Post

Jack was just lacking sleep. But the body missing hints towards the Monster theory.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 8:05pm

Post #14 of 38 (114 views)
Shortcut
The episode title [In reply to] Can't Post

refers to sending the message with the banded bird (par avion = air mail).

If they have to cancel the series prematurely, I guess this gives them the option of having the castaways finally rescued! ;-)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 15 2007, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 38 (129 views)
Shortcut
oooh... thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually hadn't put those two together. The time between questions and answers is killing me because I keep forgetting what the mystery was in the first place. I need some diagrams and a flow chart to keep everything straight.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 8:15pm

Post #16 of 38 (108 views)
Shortcut
I find rewatching helps. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've rewatched season 1 three times. Sseason 2 two times. And the current season once. It really helped me get excited about lost again.

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 8:17pm

Post #17 of 38 (95 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that's French?

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 10:35pm

Post #18 of 38 (123 views)
Shortcut
Locke was one of my favorite characters in the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

But his behavior has grown increasingly psychotic. I miss the old Locke who kept the group safe, provided boar meat and took every crisis in stride.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 2:12am

Post #19 of 38 (84 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what Mikhail said. [In reply to] Can't Post

The russian hostage was saying that he knows Locke but was confused because the locke he knew was...and then he got cut off but i expect most Lost fans can complete his line! LOL

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2007, 5:10am

Post #20 of 38 (108 views)
Shortcut
Locke was always [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit wiggy, even from the start. His flashbacks only reinforced the idea that he was not the most stable person on the island. From the moment he discovered that he had recovered the use of his legs, he seemed to me to go into some kind of world of his own, where he could live out his fantasies of adventure and survivalism. The whole episode with the hatch showed that he also was obsessive and highly suggestible. Everything he has done seems consistent to me with the picture of him we were given early on. "Keeping the group safe, providing boar meat, and taking every crisis in stride" was exactly the kind of role he envisioned for himself while trapped in that wheelchair — it was a kind of fantasy wish-fulfillment scenario for him. But when he is faced with more complex scenarios, his judgment seems to fail him.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2007, 5:11am

Post #21 of 38 (66 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's French. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 2:51pm

Post #22 of 38 (254 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that explaination! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to think that they messed up with Locke's character in season 2. That he was doing things that didn't fit his character. But your explainations makes perfect sense!

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 2:57pm

Post #23 of 38 (100 views)
Shortcut
The Eye of the Island. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought of something.
The Russian told Kate that she would be unable to understand why they come back to the island because she was not on th list. Apparently the people on the list are 'good' and have a higher understanding or perspective than the rest and Locke is on that list.
So perhaps when Locke saw the monster in the begining of season 1, mabey he was able to use his super understanding to see the 'beautiful eye of the island' , while the rest still see the black smoky monster?

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2007, 7:17pm

Post #24 of 38 (98 views)
Shortcut
The thing I love most about the show [In reply to] Can't Post

is the complexity of the characters and how their backgrounds affect their behavior in an extreme situation. For me, the show is more about character development and interpersonal dynamics than about the "mysteries." The plane crash scenario, the Dharma Initiative, and the Others create a wonderful laboratory for exploring human behavior. I especially love how the flashbacks keep adding layers to the characters (or peeling back layers, to reveal things we never would have guessed). Just as in real life, we form snap judgments about people, only to find that they're not necessarily who we think they are.

I think perhaps this complexity is what bothers some viewers, who are more focused on the narrative of the story, and who want to be able to pigeon-hole the characters and their roles and then just get on with the story. But to me, that would defeat the whole point of the series.

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 17 2007, 4:37am

Post #25 of 38 (74 views)
Shortcut
Character development is crucial [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the character development adds depth to the show and is slowly answering questions raised by the narrative--and also creating more questions. This is, in part, what makes the show special. Mr. Echo's (sp??) backstory remains my favorite so far.

Anyone else have a favorite backstory?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.