Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Four points Amazon should have done from the start.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Aug 8, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 13 (556 views)
Shortcut
Four points Amazon should have done from the start. Can't Post

First I wanna say I'm looking forward to the show, but there are 4 things Amazon should have done that could have reduced the negativety against the show. I'm not talking about the click-bait hate channels that are angry about the diversity of the cast, but more reasonable critic from fans in general.

Her are points I think would have made the situation surrounding the show very different:

1. Elves with long hair.

2. Visible bearded dwarf women.

3. Super fan video influencers replaced with Tolkien content creators.

4. The first teaser should be similar to the SDCC trailer with hints to the original trilogy despite not being a direct prequel.

If Amazon had done it like this way, they wouldn't have given ammunition to the hate bandwagon. I believe fans in general would have a more optimistic outlook than cautiosly.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Aug 8, 4:22pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 8, 5:38pm

Post #2 of 13 (513 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you on all points but the first. I’m open to the idea of short and mid-length-haired elves, although I appreciate and respect the opposing opinion.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 8, 8:34pm

Post #3 of 13 (471 views)
Shortcut
I agree with… [In reply to] Can't Post

…3 and 4, but not 1 and 2.

I like the shorter-haired elven look (though not all have that style), as I thought the “supermodels in a Finnish metal band” look often came across as silly, and I think bearded female dwarves might work in the abstract, but look like circus carneys in practice.

“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul

Archestratie
Lorien

Aug 9, 9:37am

Post #4 of 13 (384 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First I wanna say I'm looking forward to the show, but there are 4 things Amazon should have done that could have reduced the negativety against the show. I'm not talking about the click-bait hate channels that are angry about the diversity of the cast, but more reasonable critic from fans in general.

Her are points I think would have made the situation surrounding the show very different:

1. Elves with long hair.

2. Visible bearded dwarf women.

3. Super fan video influencers replaced with Tolkien content creators.

4. The first teaser should be similar to the SDCC trailer with hints to the original trilogy despite not being a direct prequel.

If Amazon had done it like this way, they wouldn't have given ammunition to the hate bandwagon. I believe fans in general would have a more optimistic outlook than cautiosly.

Yes, this would have been a big improvement. I'm still a little puzzled by the negativity. It all seems based on things that don't really matter. If peeps were criticizing the acting, scripts, set design, CGI, etc., I'd understand. What has me worried most is RoP will turn out like Wheel of Time where it makes no sense within its own world.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Ringtir
Rivendell

Aug 9, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 13 (325 views)
Shortcut
Being a detractor who will not watch the show i would say [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Keep a constant visual and concept or not.

Same can be attached to TH trilogy, if you are inspired by some imagery, go for it, if you want to show something new, go for it, being on the middle feels like a washed copy

2. Adapt something that you have the rights

Or don't adapt it, once again, make something new of your own

3. Less CGI

We just have a teaser trailer of three minutes, but the amount of cgi is (imo) overwhelming, yes, practical orcs, but everything else?

4. Make diversity matters

This one is a very sensible subject, shouldn't be, because se all should know, racism and homophobia is wrong on every level. I remember when the cast was announced on Instagram for the first time, those were ugly days that for sure didn't stopped. But how would you fight it? Knowing who can scream louder or giving some weight to the diversity.

The main protagonists are esentially white people, at least that's what the trailers are showing, the diversity is just putting a mix of actors into the already known races and kingdoms, instead of exploring new regions and cultures... Shows like TWD, Lost, The Boys and this is us are excellent on that area, but RoP is struggling and it feels forced.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 9, 8:43pm

Post #6 of 13 (288 views)
Shortcut
No matter the mistakes Amazon made with its marketing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was all forgiven by me because of the absolutely glorious dwarf masks worn by Durin's guards. These are some of the best visual representations of Tolkien's words that I have yet seen, in either still or moving art.

https://twitter.com/primevideofr/status/1557018867595038722?s=21&t=eA34rL1hpc7CJYbvRABcoA

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 9, 9:04pm

Post #7 of 13 (283 views)
Shortcut
Completely disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

No producer or studio shoul cater too much to the wrong kind of people. This has been done for years now and still most fandoms cannot get rid of that toxic areas.

To them you should not cater at all. And ridiculous side-topics such as hair and beards will simply never be of any relevance to the general audience. You won't make or break a series with this.

For the more nuanced criticism it would imho have helped if their first teaser could have shown more Tolkienesque stuff. Had the Super Bowl Trailer shown more landscapes, lore etc and some of the First Age stuff, the reception would have been much better.

Btw... Tolkien content creators such as the Tolkien Professor and others were included in the events of the last weeks. Not sure what you mean here.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 9, 9:18pm)

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Aug 9, 9:22pm

Post #8 of 13 (273 views)
Shortcut
can you point to a use of CG that you find egregious? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not clear to me what effects in the released trailers have been practical or CG, so I'm not sure how it's clear to others.

For example, a lot of people thought the 60 second reveal of the logo was horrendous because it was bad CGI. The letters were revealed to have been literally 'forged from real molten metal running like fiery rivers through hand-carved wooden ravines' and photographed in extreme slow motion.

It seems that audiences generally don't have a grasp on what has been photographed versus what has been generated on a computer, and are confusing what is real vs what is fake, perhaps because of intrinsic differences in digital photography from film photography.

You seem to suggest that Elves, Dwarves, and Men of the Second Age outside of Rhun and Harad share the same skin color– that seems a bit weird to me based on what Tolkien actually wrote. And your criticism that the show isn't "exploring new regions and cultures" seems off given that we are seeing Numenorian and almost certainly Haradrim culture depicted onscreen for the first time, if not others.

DGHCaretaker
Lorien

Aug 9, 9:27pm

Post #9 of 13 (272 views)
Shortcut
Estimates [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...ridiculous side-topics...

How many people who watch the superhero movies have bought/read/care/are loyal to the comics?
How many people who watch LOTR or will watch ROP have bought/read/care/are loyal to the books?

Is there no difference in the demand for faithful adaptations?

Archestratie
Lorien

Aug 9, 11:17pm

Post #10 of 13 (250 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. Keep a constant visual and concept or not.

Same can be attached to TH trilogy, if you are inspired by some imagery, go for it, if you want to show something new, go for it, being on the middle feels like a washed copy

2. Adapt something that you have the rights

Or don't adapt it, once again, make something new of your own

3. Less CGI

We just have a teaser trailer of three minutes, but the amount of cgi is (imo) overwhelming, yes, practical orcs, but everything else?

4. Make diversity matters

Have you tried Carnival Row? It ticks off many of the items you mention, and I think it's pretty decent, personally.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 14, 12:11pm

Post #11 of 13 (134 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

An indie wire journalist seems to like the show…

https://twitter.com/...HnZ4wB5VfgwelgS9ZP3g

(This post was edited by Stranger Wings on Aug 14, 12:12pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 14, 1:18pm

Post #12 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
I hope his review reflects the show’s merits [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, he seems to have simply copied and pasted the substance of this from a review/impression of the House of the Dragon.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 14, 5:10pm

Post #13 of 13 (94 views)
Shortcut
Oddly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unfortunately, he seems to have simply copied and pasted the substance of this from a review/impression of the House of the Dragon.

However, he states that Rings of Power is better than House of the Dragon.

The near copy and paste (as it’s not exact) could simply reflect the fact that he can’t say anything of any substance regarding either show due to embargoes. But that he thinks they’re both great (and we’ve heard from early reviews of HotD that many viewers feel it will be better than GoT).

Either that or he’s trolling, which would be odd as he doesn’t seem to be a troll.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.