The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Tolkien exhibit at Marquette

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2022, 5:51pm

Post #1 of 10 (7432 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien exhibit at Marquette Can't Post

I just got back from Milwaukee and am reading the Shepherd Express I picked up in the coffee shop. Lo and behold, there’s an article about the upcoming exhibit at Marquette University called “J.R.R. Tolkien: The Art of the Manuscript “ to be displayed August 19-December 12. Anyone interested in going?

Where's Frodo?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2022, 1:52am

Post #2 of 10 (7279 views)
Shortcut
I would be interested [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen portions of the archives and it's always a treat. Let's do it!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2022, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 10 (7240 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping you’d say that! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be great to get together again, entmaiden! Give me a few weeks since school will be starting and I will be wiped out. Let’s talk about it after Labor DayCool

Where's Frodo?

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2022, 3:29am

Post #4 of 10 (7227 views)
Shortcut
Years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Radio City LotR concert, there was a related exhibit from the Marquette archives. Gramma, some others, and I visited it. Amazing stuff.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2022, 1:40am

Post #5 of 10 (7176 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be fun!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 23 2022, 12:27am

Post #6 of 10 (6932 views)
Shortcut
The exhibit includes special events in September and October. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link with the full schedule. There is a virtual symposium on Sep. 8-9 and a series of other events and speakers over the following several weeks.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Art of the Manuscript (Aug. 19-Dec. 23, 2022)

A tip of the hat to John Rateliff for noting all this on his blog.

Glory to the heroes.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2022, 1:21am

Post #7 of 10 (6921 views)
Shortcut
I see the three in-person events are sold out [In reply to] Can't Post

The virtual versions are still available and free.

And the exhibit itself is open the whole run.

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Aug 23 2022, 1:32am)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2022, 8:35am

Post #8 of 10 (6591 views)
Shortcut
If you're on Twitter, check this out [In reply to] Can't Post

Sarah C. Schaefer
@sarahcschaefer

involved with Marquette exhibit, has thread with lots of fascinating details

(I picked up her thread under Tom Emanuel, and she has her own account)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2022, 11:34am

Post #9 of 10 (6065 views)
Shortcut
Reminder: 3 free online lectures (long post) [In reply to] Can't Post

Please join us for the J.R.R. Tolkien scholars lecture series!About this event
The Haggerty Museum of Art and Raynor Memorial Libraries at Marquette University are pleased to present a lecture series in conjunction with the collaborative exhibition J.R.R. Tolkien: The Art of the Manuscript that will feature the original manuscripts created by J.R.R. Tolkien for his literary classics The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and other works.
• Thursday, September 22, 2022, 5 p.m.: Carl Hostetter will present Editing the Tolkienian Manuscript
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Carl Hostetter is unable to join us in person to deliver Editing the Tolkienian Manuscript. The lecture will instead be presented live via Zoom at the previously scheduled time: 5 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, September 22. If you hold in-person tickets and wish to join the lecture via Zoom, please re-register here to receive the link. The lecture will be broadcast live at the Haggerty Museum of Art. Those who purchased exhibition tickets for that evening and wish to receive a refund may contact mary.dornfeld@marquette.edu.
Carl Hostetter is a computer scientist at NASA who has earned a reputation as one of the leading experts on J.R.R. Tolkien’s invented languages. He is a key member of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, an elite group of four Tolkien scholars whom the Tolkien Estate has entrusted with special access to the author’s unpublished linguistic manuscripts. These linguists have published extensively on Tolkien’s invented languages, including in Vinyar Tengwar, a peer-reviewed journal that Hostetter edits.
Hostetter is one of the most experienced students of Tolkien’s manuscripts. His ability to read and interpret Tolkien’s notoriously difficult handwriting is second to none. Christopher Tolkien (1924-2020) entrusted Hostetter with editing his father’s last volume of published writings, released in 2021 under the title, The Nature of Middle-earth. Hostetter’s work is highly regarded by Tolkien scholars. His volume Tolkien’s Legendarium—co-edited with Verlyn Flieger—is considered one of the best collections of essays on the history of Tolkien’s secondary world.

• Thursday, October 13, 2022, 5 p.m.: Holly Ordway will present Tolkien’s Faith and the Foundations of Middle-earth
Holly Ordway is a rising star among Tolkien scholars. Her 2021 book Tolkien’s Modern Reading is a tour de force destined to become a classic in Tolkien studies. Ordway demonstrated that Tolkien, usually pigeonholed as a medievalist, was remarkably well-read in modern literature. Her work shows how many modern works affected Tolkien’s creative output. Currently on faculty at Houston Baptist University, Ordway has taught English at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and MiraCosta College. She specializes in J.R.R. Tolkien and, more generally, in mythopoeic literature. Ordway’s current research project is a book-length treatment of Tolkien’s Catholicism, fitting for a Catholic, Jesuit university such as Marquette.

• Thursday, November 17, 2022, 5 p.m.: John Garth will present Whispering leaves: How Tolkien’s manuscripts reveal the secrets of his creativity
Trained as a journalist, John Garth has gained an international reputation as a leading writer about J.R.R. Tolkien and a popular commentator on Tolkien’s works and life. His published works include the recent The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien (2020). His earlier masterpiece, Tolkien and the Great War (2003), is universally acknowledged as a classic in the field of Tolkien Studies. Garth, who has made a special study of Tolkien’s manuscripts, will focus his lecture on a manuscript that is part of Marquette’s collection and has never previously been exhibited or published. He will demonstrate his renowned historical research skills by analyzing the manuscript and using it to tease out insights about Tolkien’s experiences during the Second World War.The lectures will be held at the Haggerty Museum of Art and will have time for Q&A. All lectures will be recorded for audiences that wish to view them virtually.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 21 2022, 6:54pm

Post #10 of 10 (5879 views)
Shortcut
raises hand [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to join, if I can! November would be a good month for me... :)

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.