Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Peter Jackson Says He Was Snubbed by ‘Rings of Power’ After Being Asked to Work on Show
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Aug 5, 10:41pm

Post #1 of 33 (777 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson Says He Was Snubbed by ‘Rings of Power’ After Being Asked to Work on Show Can't Post

Article here for those interested.

Clearly some crossed wires at some point, though the simple mistake of "wait we forgot to send Peter Jackson our scripts?" seems...unlikely. But regardless, it's great to see he's excited for the show as a fan.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 5, 10:49pm)

cats16
Valinor

Aug 5, 10:57pm

Post #2 of 33 (741 views)
Shortcut
Follow-up on this [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hollywood Reporter, whose podcast is the source of PJ's initial comments on the topic, has more info in its own article on the matter: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...v-series-1235193692/

"Sources close to the project describe a complicated and delicate backstory to the situation. First, that the studio has high regard for Jackson and that Rings of Power showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay have privately attempted to make overtures to the filmmaker. But as the statement suggests, there were also legal concerns about keeping the films (which are owned by Warner Bros.) and TV show separate. There have been executive changes during the time period in question, as well, with former head of genre programming Sharon Tal Yguado — whom one source described as an advocate of luring Jackson to the project — departing the company in 2019. Perhaps even more crucially, sources say author J.R.R. Tolkien’s estate was against having Jackson on board. This shouldn’t be surprising as the estate had no involvement with his films and Christopher Tolkien has previously slammed the trilogy in the press as “eviscerating” his father’s books, claiming they turned his novels into action movies for young people that lack “beauty and seriousness.” But the estate is involved with the series — Amazon paid the estate an astounding $250 million for the rights to make the show. All that said: One does not simply offer to send Peter Jackson a LOTR script and then leave the man hanging."

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Aug 5, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 33 (734 views)
Shortcut
Not again... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can already see dozens of rage-hating videos using this issue to bash the show....God I miss the days where social media doesn't exist. I'm going to avoid every social med from now on and just read news updates from this site. Tired of the toxicity.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Aug 5, 11:02pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin

Aug 5, 11:10pm

Post #4 of 33 (727 views)
Shortcut
The bit I took away from this news [In reply to] Can't Post

is that PJ's looking forward to seeing the show as a neutral observer. I remember him saying that he wished he could see his own movies like any other viewer, without any knowledge of what's to come. At least this time, he gets his wish. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Eledhwen
Forum Admin

Aug 5, 11:14pm

Post #5 of 33 (724 views)
Shortcut
I think the headline misrepresents his comments [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit at least. He doesn't sound too miffed by it really. "No complaints at all". It's not like he's short of $$$ or stuff to do, after all.

Storm clouds

DGHCaretaker
Rivendell

Aug 5, 11:14pm

Post #6 of 33 (723 views)
Shortcut
Downward Slopes and Confusion [In reply to] Can't Post

1. As much as I was looking forward to The Hobbit by Peter Jackson after Lord of the Rings, I would as much not look forward to Rings of Power with Peter Jackson. Drawing a line from point to point would be a significant downward slope. Though J,J. Abrams would be much worse, just to keep things in perspective.

2. From the article: "In a statement provided to THR, Amazon responded to Jackson’s comments by citing an 'obligation' to differentiate themselves from Jackson’s films." This actually makes a lot of sense to me when it comes to not wanting to cause rights and brand confusion.

cats16
Valinor

Aug 5, 11:55pm

Post #7 of 33 (707 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

(I hate making my own post title out of thin air when it's in relation to an article, but I agree the headline feels clickbaity.)

cats16
Valinor

Aug 5, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 33 (707 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd imagine a quick moment of heartburn kicking in if you're him when the opening credits roll - imagining the stress it would've been to dive back into such a big undertaking. But I'm glad he seems to have a healthy relationship with it all, either way!

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 6, 12:03am

Post #9 of 33 (702 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought exactly the same. I hope he enjoys it.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 6, 12:50am

Post #10 of 33 (694 views)
Shortcut
Dodged a bullet on this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Good on the Tolkien Estate here. I wouldn’t have wanted PJ involved either. The LOTR films have certainly been deemed classics, and there are a number of good things in them, but the scripts are not one of those good things.

“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 6, 6:16am

Post #11 of 33 (647 views)
Shortcut
Completely disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

It remains a masterpiece in my book how they adapted TLotR.

Why is it necessary for some to constantly put another adaption down or up compared to another?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

DGHCaretaker
Rivendell

Aug 6, 6:37am

Post #12 of 33 (643 views)
Shortcut
Progress [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why is it necessary for some to constantly put another adaption down or up compared to another?

Critical thinking is an asset to learning. The writers of bad adaptations haven't learned from history to avoid them. So to keep standards higher than otherwise they must be reminded that we want our favorite stories handled faithfully, or write something original.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 6, 7:19am

Post #13 of 33 (631 views)
Shortcut
Difference and nuance. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I implied at all that I am against criticism or critical thinking.

But when there are "sides" in these discussions and it is obvious that it becomes a "this vs. that" instead of a ciritical discussion, that is where I think discussions are getting boring and mere echo chambers or repetitions of the same old stuff all the time when it is enough to read a user's name to know what they will have written.

We even have a "supporter vs. sceptics" thread here. Personally, I wished we could do without this pigeonholing where you have to decide which group you belong to. I think we are all capable of more nuance in discussion, and yes, critical thinking.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 6, 7:22am)

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 6, 7:52am

Post #14 of 33 (622 views)
Shortcut
Because it’s relevant to this topic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It remains a masterpiece in my book how they adapted TLotR.

I’ve always had serious issues with PB&J’s scriptwriting.

It’s brilliant all the way up until Merry and Pippin happen to bump into Frodo and Sam in the cornfield. Then it’s a mess until the end.

I just don’t like how nonsensically and melodramatically over the top everything is in PJ’s Middle Earth.

For example, PJ turns legitimately eerie scenes into dull action (Weathertop), and he handles the political dynamics with a big dwarven hammer (Theoden being a literal near-dead zombie that is being puppeted by Saruman, for example, and Denethor being completely nuts). PJ either thinks audiences couldn’t handle any subtlety in Middle Earth politics, or he didn’t know how to do it (or didn’t want to, as his style is so bombastically over the top). And the dialogue follows that style in its loud clunkiness.

I don’t mind that most people disagree though. I was just pointing out that what I’ve heard and seen of the writing in this show seems of a higher quality. And I am very glad PJ wasn’t marking up these scripts. Letting this be an interpretation independent of his was the right way to go.

This has nothing to do with a “need” to put PJ down, and everything to do with my belief that PJ not marking up these scripts is a good thing.

Otherwise, I really like PJ as a person and adore some of his other projects: Heavenly Creatures, Get Back, and They Shall Not Grow Old. I’d go so far to say that he’s a brilliant documentarian who breaks from the standard model of that art form in very refreshing ways. Herzog-level. I just don’t think that his scriptwriting and filmmaking style fit the tone of Tolkien, and I don’t want his approach influencing the show. Let JD and Patrick do their thing. And they are. And PJ is fine with that.

(This post was edited by Stranger Wings on Aug 6, 8:03am)

Anubis
Rivendell

Aug 6, 8:53am

Post #15 of 33 (606 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I gotta say, your posts feel like a breath of fresh air, thank you for them.

However, this "taking sides" thing is inevitable, just post something with the name "Peter Jackson", on a Tolkien forum, and you'll experience a chain reaction, even if the topic of the post was that PJ went to the beach. People just can't resist bashing the movies, and then others will come to defend them, and it all turns into a battle of sorts (I still shudder when I remember the Hobbit times on this forum).

And yes, sometimes you know what a poster will say before they say it, which is a problem. I don't visit this forum much anymore, but even I can see the "sides" you are talking about, people repeating the same thing ad nauseum, nobody really changes their mind about anything, and everyone just beats the same dead horse.

But fortunately, there's still some good conversations to be had here, and I agree with you that we are capable of more nuance in discussion, it's just a matter of will, rather than capacity.

Bad news is, once the show comes out and more people come to this forum (hopefully), we will get to see more "battles" on the forums; good news is, the more people, the more diversity of opinions, less stagnation in the discussions.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 6, 11:37am

Post #16 of 33 (571 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100%… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I gotta say, your posts feel like a breath of fresh air, thank you for them.

However, this "taking sides" thing is inevitable, just post something with the name "Peter Jackson", on a Tolkien forum, and you'll experience a chain reaction, even if the topic of the post was that PJ went to the beach. People just can't resist bashing the movies, and then others will come to defend them, and it all turns into a battle of sorts (I still shudder when I remember the Hobbit times on this forum).

And yes, sometimes you know what a poster will say before they say it, which is a problem. I don't visit this forum much anymore, but even I can see the "sides" you are talking about, people repeating the same thing ad nauseum, nobody really changes their mind about anything, and everyone just beats the same dead horse.

But fortunately, there's still some good conversations to be had here, and I agree with you that we are capable of more nuance in discussion, it's just a matter of will, rather than capacity.

Bad news is, once the show comes out and more people come to this forum (hopefully), we will get to see more "battles" on the forums; good news is, the more people, the more diversity of opinions, less stagnation in the discussions.

…that this tribalization of the discourse is frustrating. Online, my perception has been that the loudest vitriol is coming from PJ partisans know little about Tolkien shouting about woke-ization. But then of course that also precipitates a lot of strident responses.

In this case, I made sure to say that I feel there are many great things about PJ’s films that I appreciate, and that they have undoubtedly been deemed classics by most, but that I don’t hold the LOTR scripts in high regard. I thought that was quite measured, and so I was surprised to be lumped in with a “PJ basher” contingent, a group that’s isn’t too numerous in any event.

In short, if we want to counter the tribal toxicity in the fandom, we also need to be careful not to quickly jump to conclusions about where everyone is coming from. In my case, I’m someone who respects PJ but has issues with his films. And I have no affinity for his “bashers.”

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 8, 7:03am

Post #17 of 33 (387 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry if I misjudged you... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but, honestly, an awful lot of your posts seem to bring in PJ's movies. Usually in a way to try to make them look bad and the series look good.

But of course this sort of tribalistic fandom is common and everybody's right.

I guess I am kind of glad that my enjoyment and/or dislike of the one has nothing to do with the other.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 8, 8:07am

Post #18 of 33 (374 views)
Shortcut
You’re right. I have mentioned PJ’s films a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... but, honestly, an awful lot of your posts seem to bring in PJ's movies. Usually in a way to try to make them look bad and the series look good.

But of course this sort of tribalistic fandom is common and everybody's right.

I guess I am kind of glad that my enjoyment and/or dislike of the one has nothing to do with the other.

And I am critical of his films, and would like this new foray into ME to be as independent as possible from those.

But probably the main reason I have been making the contrast is because the internet is positively swimming with hardcore PJ film partisans casting aspersions on anything in the show that doesn’t follow PJ’s aesthetic to the T, and often disingenuously claiming that they’re carrying the banner of Tolkien in doing so. That contingent has so overwhelmed and suffocated the online discourse, that it’s hard to present any alternative views.

In that context, I’ve been trying to offer a different perspective. That of a hardcore book fan who was disappointed with LOTR and TH, but sees a lot to like (so far) in what the showrunners are offering. For people with that perspective (a small group, I suspect) this show is likely a final chance at seeing a cinematic interpretation of Tolkien that comes closer to our vision than what we’ve gotten before. And when so many partisans of PJ’s films are determined to tear this project down before it even starts, it feels like an assault on the hope some have for a different interpretation of the professor’s works. It doesn’t seem fair, to me, for fans to demand that PJ’s vision dominate that interpretation. Let’s let others paint.

That said, I have quite a bit of respect for PJ’s work, and the love and commitment he devoted to his ME films. They just weren’t my style, and in my view (like Christopher’s) not in Tolkien’s style. I think taking a more historical period film vs. action adventure film approach would’ve been much more satisfying. And with a TV show, I think JD and Patrick can come closer to that.

As such, I’m really looking forward to that 7-minute Elrond and Galadriel chat! Smile

(This post was edited by Stranger Wings on Aug 8, 8:12am)

Silvered-glass
Rivendell

Aug 8, 11:55am

Post #19 of 33 (355 views)
Shortcut
Adaptations and Expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In that context, I’ve been trying to offer a different perspective. That of a hardcore book fan who was disappointed with LOTR and TH, but sees a lot to like (so far) in what the showrunners are offering. For people with that perspective (a small group, I suspect) this show is likely a final chance at seeing a cinematic interpretation of Tolkien that comes closer to our vision than what we’ve gotten before.

Speaking as someone who just finished watching Hobitit and saw Khraniteli earlier, those two other live-action LotR adaptations give some much-needed perspective about Peter Jackson's movies and showcase how well-made and faithful to the source material they really were and by extension how easy it would have been to create something really, really bad.

I don't understand how a genuine book purist who thought PJ wasn't faithful enough could possibly be hopeful about RoP at this point. It just doesn't make sense. All over RoP we see lore violations and general bad design.

In Reply To
That said, I have quite a bit of respect for PJ’s work, and the love and commitment he devoted to his ME films. They just weren’t my style, and in my view (like Christopher’s) not in Tolkien’s style. I think taking a more historical period film vs. action adventure film approach would’ve been much more satisfying. And with a TV show, I think JD and Patrick can come closer to that.

Hobitit already had the focus on dialogue rather than on action scenes and indeed had an offscreen Balrog and an offscreen Shelob. Meanwhile RoP is being advertised with clips of wire-fu and monsters.

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 8, 1:09pm

Post #20 of 33 (342 views)
Shortcut
There will unfortunately... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
In that context, I’ve been trying to offer a different perspective. That of a hardcore book fan who was disappointed with LOTR and TH, but sees a lot to like (so far) in what the showrunners are offering. For people with that perspective (a small group, I suspect) this show is likely a final chance at seeing a cinematic interpretation of Tolkien that comes closer to our vision than what we’ve gotten before.

Speaking as someone who just finished watching Hobitit and saw Khraniteli earlier, those two other live-action LotR adaptations give some much-needed perspective about Peter Jackson's movies and showcase how well-made and faithful to the source material they really were and by extension how easy it would have been to create something really, really bad.

I don't understand how a genuine book purist who thought PJ wasn't faithful enough could possibly be hopeful about RoP at this point. It just doesn't make sense. All over RoP we see lore violations and general bad design.

In Reply To

Hobitit already had the focus on dialogue rather than on action scenes and indeed had an offscreen Balrog and an offscreen Shelob. Meanwhile RoP is being advertised with clips of wire-fu and monsters.

...be echoes of PJ's action adventure style, with wire-fu elves and all that jazz. I see that as an unfortunate carry-over from his films.

Outside of that, however, I see evidence of a visual, dialogue and pacing style that feels (to me) more Tolkieneque. I was particularly encouraged by the short clip of Galadriel (in Gundabad or Thangorodrim or wherever they are), as well as the mention of a 7-minute conversation between Galadriel and Elrond. The fact that we're not going to be speeding along at warp-speed, as the films did, is by itself going to make this feel more like Tolkien to me, IMO.

And yes, I'm a book purist. But not a literalist. My purism is centered on "tone." I'm a tone purist, essentially. I am OK with significant detail changes, as long as the effect is an effective capturing of Tolkien's tone: naturalistic AND mythic, deliberately paced vs. breakneck, subtle in its progression, historical in tone, objective in presentation (vs. being dominated by a heavy-handed authorial/ thematic voice), dramatic vs. action-adventury, etc. I have some qualms about the PJ-esque action, but am encouraged by a lot of other things I'm seeing and hearing.

We'll see soon enough if my hope is rewarded!

ETA: Here's an example of what I'm talking about. PJ was, in a literal sense, decently faithful to the general events of LOTR. Let's take Theoden. As in the books, PJ shows us a Theoden who is under the influence of Saruman and his advisor Wormtongue. That's an example of literal faithfulness. But then he is tonally completely at odds with Tolkien in how he presents it. Instead of Theoden being swayed by Wormtongue's counsel because the latter is able to make effective, practical arguments for why pissing Saruman off is a bad idea, Theoden is a NEAR-ZOMBIE LITERALLY PUPPETED BY SARUMAN. I use all caps not out of anger, but to articulate what I mean by PJ's style being at odds with the tone of Tolkien. And that's the case across all three films, whether it's the OTT Weathertop fight, Theoden being a zombie, Denethor being completely crazy and running three miles to jump off a cliff, and Aragorn winning the say with a bunch of green ghosts. It's all so heavy-handed compared to Tolkien, and so even when it's generally faithful, it doesn't work for me.

I'm sensing a bit more subtlety from JD and Patrick, that's all. We'll see.

(This post was edited by Stranger Wings on Aug 8, 1:19pm)

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 8, 1:42pm

Post #21 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
And regarding "general bad design" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what this refers to. I like a lot of the designs I have seen thus far, with the exception of the heavy plate-mail armor that Galadriel seems to be wearing when she goes off to war with the Numenoreans (and that the elves are wearing in that scene in Lindon where Gil-Galad places a laurel-leaf tiara on Galadriel's head). That late medieval/ Renaissance-style plate mail just doesn't fit with Tolkien, IMO, and is my only major design complaint so far. Loving what I'm seeing of the Numenoran and dwarven costumes (golden feet and dwarf masks!), in particular. And Arondir's green man/ Ent face breastplate is a thing of beauty. Lots of character in these designs. Rivalled only by the Rohirrim costumes in PJ's LOTR, which were brilliant.

Narvi
Rivendell

Aug 8, 6:20pm

Post #22 of 33 (291 views)
Shortcut
I dunno about general bad design [In reply to] Can't Post

I have noticed quite a few odd design choices for a series that will presumably be streamable in 4k HD. Most of these have to do with costumes, the most egregious of which appear in the HD stills released in the big "Numenor" reveal article, where you can see that s good deal of scale in Miriel's corselet is just painted cloth, akin to the wool-mail and plastic-plate substitutes in older period pieces. The production boasts a massive budget: it'd be nice to see consistent WETA-level handforged, handcrafted costumes on the leads...

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 8, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 33 (272 views)
Shortcut
As that was a magazine shot… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have noticed quite a few odd design choices for a series that will presumably be streamable in 4k HD. Most of these have to do with costumes, the most egregious of which appear in the HD stills released in the big "Numenor" reveal article, where you can see that s good deal of scale in Miriel's corselet is just painted cloth, akin to the wool-mail and plastic-plate substitutes in older period pieces. The production boasts a massive budget: it'd be nice to see consistent WETA-level handforged, handcrafted costumes on the leads...

…and presumably not a screenshot from the show, I’m guessing that what we saw was action-shot mail on Miriel that is intended for wide shots and scenes of swift movement, vs. hero armor which I imagine will not cut corners. Otherwise I would agree that it’s subpar. But we’ll see.

Apart from execution, though, the looks are phenomenal. I much, much prefer Numemorean scale mail to the heavy plate of the Gondorians in LOTR. The Rohirrim also boasted a lot of scale mail and leather, and I absolutely loved that look.

Silvered-glass
Rivendell

Aug 9, 3:59am

Post #24 of 33 (241 views)
Shortcut
"Tone Purism" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Outside of that, however, I see evidence of a visual, dialogue and pacing style that feels (to me) more Tolkieneque. I was particularly encouraged by the short clip of Galadriel (in Gundabad or Thangorodrim or wherever they are), as well as the mention of a 7-minute conversation between Galadriel and Elrond. The fact that we're not going to be speeding along at warp-speed, as the films did, is by itself going to make this feel more like Tolkien to me, IMO.

And yes, I'm a book purist. But not a literalist. My purism is centered on "tone." I'm a tone purist, essentially. I am OK with significant detail changes, as long as the effect is an effective capturing of Tolkien's tone: naturalistic AND mythic, deliberately paced vs. breakneck, subtle in its progression, historical in tone, objective in presentation (vs. being dominated by a heavy-handed authorial/ thematic voice), dramatic vs. action-adventury, etc. I have some qualms about the PJ-esque action, but am encouraged by a lot of other things I'm seeing and hearing.

Tolkien could write in multiple tones. Amazon doesn't have the rights to Akallabęth, so that one doesn't apply, except of course they could just copy the tone and the core themes, except they won't, which is too bad. Adapting the tone of the appendix pages Amazon is actually using for its basic plot points is obviously a bad idea and also won't happen. I also don't get a Lord of the Rings feel from what we've been seen, or the feel of anything Tolkien really.

I think Tolkien is actually paced pretty fast. I suppose that depends on your standards though. Most people read a written conversation a lot faster than it would be to listen, which changes the impression. Seven minutes of talking heads with dialogue like that which was shown in the trailer sounds really boring.

(By the way, The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen is in-universe propaganda, and heavy-handed propaganda too, though I suppose a lot of people haven't noticed it.)

Silvered-glass
Rivendell

Aug 9, 4:26am

Post #25 of 33 (237 views)
Shortcut
On General Bad Design [In reply to] Can't Post

With "general bad design" I was talking about how costumes and such seem to be average at best and bafflingly bad at worst. The Númenorean plate armor with scales on top looks especially not fine. It's neither beautiful nor practical, and the fish scale = island kingdom design choice is very unimaginative without being informed by realism. (And why are they cavalry now?)

Elves with buzz cuts is another downright anti-Tolkien idea that also doesn't even theoretically work in-universe unless you add electric razors or their magical equivalent to make maintaining that hair possible. Not that Tolkien Elves would choose to use something like that. Also, the casting of the Elf characters themselves has some very bad choices. Celebrimbor would be better of playing Bilbo, for example. But I suppose not making the Elves particularly pretty is related to how they are racist oppressors now in yet another Amazon innovation. Or maybe it's just opposition to beauty in general as being a form of privilege. Sigh.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.