Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Will the silmarillion be filmed after the rings of power series is over?

Glorfindel Laurefindele

Aug 4, 2:52pm

Post #1 of 7 (543 views)
Shortcut
Will the silmarillion be filmed after the rings of power series is over? Can't Post

Do you think if the series is watched a lot, will they make silmarillion movies after the series is completely over? If so, how many films will the silmarillion consist of? my guess is that the silmarillion will be shot sooner or later, but there must be at least 6 movies for everything to be shown.

"Glorfindel was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes were bright and clean, and his voice like music; on his brow set wisdom, and in his hand was strength."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4, 8:40pm

Post #2 of 7 (507 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon (or someone else) would have to purchase the rights first to The Silmarillion and I'm not sure that they're for sale even now.

The only way I can see it working is with one movie each for the Great Tales (perhaps adding "The Ruin of Doriath").

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Asger
Rivendell

Aug 6, 5:26am

Post #3 of 7 (462 views)
Shortcut
If the Tolkien Estate is satisfied with RoP… [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess they will sell the rights to the Silmarillion in good time before it goes into public domain. 2048 is not that far into the future.
If not they’ll sit tight on the rights, and then we’ll have to wait (I’ll be 93 by then, if I live) for some studios to try it out.
But before that I guess there’ll be an internet-service (called Movie-Director or something) so each of us can make our own version with the actors we want for the roles Cool

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

(This post was edited by Asger on Aug 6, 5:27am)

Eldy
Grey Havens

Aug 6, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 7 (419 views)
Shortcut
Public domain [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess they will sell the rights to the Silmarillion in good time before it goes into public domain. 2048 is not that far into the future.

I am not a lawyer, but Christopher Tolkien is listed separately on the copyright pages of both my editions of The Silmarillion, as one of two copyright holders, alongside the J.R.R. Tolkien Copyright Trust.* Assuming this means he is legally considered a coauthor of the work, we're potentially looking at TS not passing into the public domain until the 2090s or later.

* The same is true of (most?) other posthumously published works he edited, though sometimes the Estate is mentioned rather than the Trust.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 6, 9:11pm

Post #5 of 7 (406 views)
Shortcut
What I wrote previously [In reply to] Can't Post

(In a conversation that we had elsewhere three-plus years ago):

I checked my books, which are all Houghton Mifflin hardcovers, and in those books, Christopher only claims individual copyright rights to The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin, as well as the notes and commentary in Beren and Lúthien and The Fall of Gondolin. Everything else is either listed as "Copyright ©[year] by Frank Richard Williamson and Christopher Reuel Tolkien as Executors of the Estate of J. R. R. Tolkien" or "Copyright ©[year] Tolkien Copyright Trust."

I'm not an international property attorney, but my belief is that you are correct as to the likelihood of The Silmarillion not passing into the public domain until the 2090s or later.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Eldy
Grey Havens

Aug 6, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 7 (399 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate the refresher! // [In reply to] Can't Post

InTheChair
Rohan

Aug 8, 3:15pm

Post #7 of 7 (296 views)
Shortcut
Not anytime soon I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Would depend both on the success of Rings of Power and other phantasy projects, and someone like Amazon being able to acquire the rights to the Silmarillion, and given what was payed for the rights to the Rings of Power series, those are not gonna come cheap

Then you need some studio to commit fully. You probably can't do the Silmarillion any justice without at least four seasons of maybe 26 one hour episodes each. So you need someone to guarantee that up front

Also of course as you mentioned it will be rather dependent on the Rings of Power being a success.

If I had to guess, I think I will not live long enough to see a Silmarillion adaptation.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Aug 8, 3:20pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.