What are you watching? August edition!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 6, 4:20am

Post #26 of 32 (524 views)
Shortcut
Poor you, Ms Bird! You need some noodle soup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about you and the dreaded scourge. I'm impressed that the wasabi proved to be a positive and not a negative. Laugh It's good to have friends checking in on you.

To add to your viewing list if you have Netflix and Japanese food both available, I recommend a tv series called Midnight Diner (series 1-3) and Midnight Diner: Tokyo Tales (series 4-5) It's a delightful, funny, heart-warming series about a small Tokyo diner, it's owner, his quirky regulars and their stories. Each episode is only about 20-25 minutes, so it can be savoured in small bites. It's just the ticket for a quiet chuckle and making one feel good about one's fellow humans. A Japanese friend and I have decided that the subtitles must be very well done because we both laugh and get teary-eyed at the same places.

The opening is the only series I don't push "SKIP" for because of the theme song, which is lovely and soothing.
https://www.youtube.com/...Z8&start_radio=1
Scroll down the comments for an English translation. May the Master and his friends smooth out some of the rough patches of the next few days.

Cheers,
Liss
Heart

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 6, 1:37pm

Post #27 of 32 (478 views)
Shortcut
I think my recommendation could do with a disclaimer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I started to re-watch Season 1 Episode 1 of Midnight Diner just now. It has been a while since I watched that one, and I'd forgotten that "risqué" would be an accurate term to describe the introduction to the first customer's story at 4:10-5:30 . She's a lovely young woman - who works as an exotic dancer. Just so you know that's not representative of the vast majority of the series and things do settle down. Evil
Did I mention quirky?

After watching about 15 hours of 50 episodes, my prevailing feeling is of appreciation for the understanding and acceptance of human frailty or helplessness we can all relate to wherever we come from. Perhaps we hope that we would find such understanding and kindness from at least one person like the Master, a friend, or even a stranger. The series is definitely worth a try.Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6, 1:55pm

Post #28 of 32 (475 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry you're having a hard hit with it. I've got you in my prayers and hope you're symptoms are easing. It's hard not to know what to expect or how long it will last. *warm hug* Hang in there!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 7, 12:31am

Post #29 of 32 (427 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the Mormon family [In reply to] Can't Post

And about the pacing. But I still enjoyed it.

Other than Season 2 will be based on another Hillerman novel there doesn't seem to be much info out there.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 7, 12:38am

Post #30 of 32 (429 views)
Shortcut
Paper Girls and Thirteen Lives w/Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

Paper Girls -- teens sucked into time traveling "fold" -- a bit uneven but it's building and makes some good points.

Ron Howard is the director of Thirteen Lives based on the cave rescue in Thailand in 2018-- Viggo is one of the cave divers who goes in to rescue the boys. It's very focused on a fairly faithful retelling of the events so not much characterization.

Both are on Prime Video.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mon, 12:07am

Post #31 of 32 (54 views)
Shortcut
I love the books. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't understand why they flip-flopped the characters of Leaphorn and Chee. They did integrate the culture more into the lives of the characters. The movie from the 90s kind of painted it on top of the action. Skinwalkers: The Navajo Mysteries did a better job of bringing the books to life. I enjoyed those but they are hard to find.

But I love Zahn McClarnon. He was in Longmire and now he's in Reservation Dogs. I enjoy him in anything he does.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mon, 12:24am

Post #32 of 32 (51 views)
Shortcut
I'm catching up on my murder mysteries [In reply to] Can't Post

Brokenwood Mysteries released a new season available in the US. Not a whole lot of gore (which I like) and the characters have been fun to get to know. Midsomer Murders in New Zealand.

Midsomer Murders also released a new season. I like the newer Barnaby. He's puts more of a psychological spin on things and it's interesting. Plus I love seeing what new and innovative ways they writers find to kill people.

The Chelsea Detective - This is another murder mystery series but the characters have some challenges. The pathologist is deaf and played by an actor who is deaf. As someone who is losing their hearing, I appreciate being seen in a TV series. The lead detective is dyslexic and his thought processes are interesting to watch.

And not a mystery but really good - Reservation Dogs. The storytelling is nuanced and beautiful. The characters are interesting and each episode makes me want to learn more about them. Some veteran actors support the young leads who hold their own with amazing performances.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.