ET Featurette with New Footage

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 2 2022, 7:59pm

Post #1 of 10 (595 views)
Shortcut
ET Featurette with New Footage Can't Post

https://www.etonline.com/...fellowship-exclusive

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Aug 2 2022, 9:22pm

Post #2 of 10 (546 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking more and more forward to this show. I have to admit, when the first pictures of the characters were released, I wasn't sold. But the main teaser trailer and comic-con trailer changed my opinion 100 percent!

InTheChair
Rohan

Aug 2 2022, 9:25pm

Post #3 of 10 (547 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

The Second Age is the great, unfilmed story in Tolkien's entire Legendarium

Wouldn't that distinction still go to the first age at this stage? The second age is still surely an interesting time to cover though

What Tolkien represents, it's really important that we keep that legacy alive

That sounds good. what does Tolkien represent though?

Galadriel has been on a quest for over a thousand years, scouring Middle-earth, searching for this elusive, undiscovered, very real evil

Now this sounds a bit made up to me, but perhaps in the context of the show it may make sense.

Every good quest needs a fellowship

Are they talking about Galadriels quest?

Ringtir
Rivendell

Aug 3 2022, 8:59am

Post #4 of 10 (444 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the opposite for me [In reply to] Can't Post

When i first saw the cast i has good vibes, started to dig more on each one and their ideas and a lot of a them seem great, specially Nazanin Boniadi and Sophia Nomvete, had really good vibes about their friendship and commitment, they were uploading beautiful pictures of New Zealand on Instagram and everything seems great, an astounding first image was revealed showing Arda with the two trees, but... The elf had short hair? Odd.

Then, Tom Budge was fired, Tom Shippey MIA, and some plots with new images were revealed on that awful articule from Vanity Fair, from that point, everything is a spiral going down to the bottom. Every teaser, every trailer, every article, every new info (like knowing that they didn't have the rights to what they are supposed to adapt) , the Comic Con, all bad signs.

Don't know what people like about the trailer, except maybe two shots, the White tree and a cavalry, everything else is so uninspiring, i found quite funny how the Hobbi... Nonono, sorry, the Harfoot, not the Hobbit Shocked says "The skyes are strange..." Well, yes, because they are clearly overproduced CG images! Maybe two real shots without having cheap filters interfering on the image?

Worst of all, now i can't stand Nazanin or Sophia, they are so above the horse than they can't stop talking about how they are going to revolutionize TV shows and they are so great, you have some blind confidence to stand up on the shoulders of the giants, and the fall from up high is long

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 3 2022, 9:10am

Post #5 of 10 (438 views)
Shortcut
Couldn’t disagree more [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ was the King of cheap filters all over the films. This looks comparatively naturalistic in most scenes (though not all).

“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul

Dipling
Lorien

Aug 3 2022, 7:49pm

Post #6 of 10 (351 views)
Shortcut
Coudn't agree more. [In reply to] Can't Post

@Ringtir: I see and feel the same.

(This post was edited by Dipling on Aug 3 2022, 7:49pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 3 2022, 10:25pm

Post #7 of 10 (310 views)
Shortcut
More and more short promos appearing [In reply to] Can't Post

And from the new shots of Tir-Harad in some of the clips, it looks more and more like the Bronwyn/Arondir location is on the border to or even in Mordor itself.

I wonder whether we might actually see Mt Doom erupting and destroying the village towards the end of the season shortly after or while Galadriel defended the region with the Numenoreans against Orc attacks.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Narvi
Lorien

Aug 5 2022, 4:08pm

Post #8 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'd never considered the Mordor angle [In reply to] Can't Post

This would certainly make sense within the condensed timeline, in which Sauron will need to rapidly and surreptitiously accumulate his forces in preparation for his war against the Elves of Eregion. The presence of the cultists in Tir-harad would pave the way for this. I wonder if the hypothetical Balrog-Meteor-man could play a role in igniting the volcanic plateau of Gorgoroth.

Ringtir
Rivendell

Aug 7 2022, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 10 (149 views)
Shortcut
First of all, sorry for delayed answer... i guess(? [In reply to] Can't Post

Second, i was reading some of the posts and wow... you really love this show already, or have very good expectations for it.

Do not blame you, one should like what one likes, and i read somewhere there that you are happy that is something appart from Peter Jackson´s vision of Middle Earth. But i think you are confused about this subject, there´s plenty of projects and fanarts outthere that differs from PJ´s style. The vision of the Trilogy is very strong and is still almost on every merchandising and articles with images, probably it is mainly because the vision from Alan Lee and John Howe was already strong even before the movies, but there are games like The Hobbit (2003) or Lotro that doesn´t have the rights from New Line´s, so they make their own twist of how ME should look... And do not forget that PJ didn´t want to direct TH, it was (much probably) forced by the studios because Guillermo del Toro was creating a totally different beast...

But, getting back to the skyes and the supposed filters, i believe that you are mainly refering to TH trilogy, because on Lotr there´s plenty of (almost) unaltered shots of the sky, i submit to the proofs:

(being that from RoP we just have a teaser trailer by now, i will compare only the trailers)

https://youtu.be/uYnQDsaxHZU

I counted about 11 cg altered shots against 5 seemingly unaltered (where you can clearly see the skyes without the need of pausing the video)

https://youtu.be/aStYWD25fAQ

I used the 2nd trailer because on the 1st one there´s almost no shots where you can see the sky, the results:

About 10 unaltered (probably some of them are painted backgrounds) against 3.

Maybe i´m expecting too much for a production of 2022 when CG is almost everywhere, but shows like The Boys looked amazing without the need of philters and green screens everywhere, specially if you moved an entire production to NZ.

Right now, the quality of the show is much more akin to Jack and the Giant Slayer (2013), maybe the showrunners thought that the main actor was in fact the real J.R.R. Tolkien?

https://youtu.be/ng9rjC8MOgU

Stranger Wings
Rivendell

Aug 7 2022, 10:07pm

Post #10 of 10 (115 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the response! [In reply to] Can't Post

But no, I’m not confused. The LOTR films utilized heavy filters across many different sequences. Rivendell, for example, looks like it has melted caramel all over it.

“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.