The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
New additions to the profile related forum

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 17 2022, 8:07pm

Post #1 of 19 (1837 views)
Shortcut
New additions to the profile related forum Can't Post

Hi guys, I'm new to your forum.I really like the theme and atmosphere of your forum. It is especially nice to see the ever-changing middle earth pictures on the top left.I have some profile suggestions for your forum.

message(The number of all posts the user has posted on the forum)
race(Add-on where the user can write the middle-earth race that it belongs to or wants to be)
location(plugin where the user can write where it wants to live in the middle earth or where it wants to be)
I think it will be very nice if these plugins are added to the forum and seen on the profile in the messages in the forum.
Also, it would be nice to add forum points for every topic and message we send to the forum. The decision is up to you. Regards.

"Of all the children of Finwë he is justly most renowned: for his valour was as a fire and yet as steadfast as the hills of stone; wise he was and skilled in voice and hand; truth and justice he loved and bore good will to all, both Elves and Men, hating Morgoth only; he sought not his own, neither power nor glory, and death was his reward."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2022, 12:08am

Post #2 of 19 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you click on a board member's name you'll be taken through to their profile. This is where you'll see the number of posts they've made and where in the world (or anywhere else) they're located.

We don't have this information sitting beneath board members' avatars alongside their message board posts as that section has tools for admins to use (e.g. to lock or move threads). It looks like a blank space to you but it actually isn't.

Regarding your last point, if you look under your name you'll see the title Registered User. This will change as you post more on TORN:

0=> Registered User
10 => The Shire
50 => Bree
100 => Rivendell
250 => Lorien
500 => Rohan
1000 => Gondor
1500 => Grey Havens
2000 => Tol Eressea
3000 => Valinor
5000 => Half-elven
10,000 posts =>Immortal

To see who's sitting where, click on Who's Online (one of the six rings at the top of the page) then View Member Directory. Filter the table by clicking on Posts and the list will start with the one who has made the most posts overall (which is grammaboodawg, FYI).

We've got an FAQ in the Welcome section here (http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread) which is worth having a browse through if you have any questions. And you're always welcome to raise any issues or queries here on feedback. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 18 2022, 12:14am)

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 18 2022, 1:00am

Post #3 of 19 (1772 views)
Shortcut
answer [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your answer. But why can't the profile information be put under the message board avatar due to the tools used by the administrators? It would be better if our profile information was written under the messages we sent in the forum. By the way, do you plan to add the race option? It would be better if you add it.

"Of all the children of Finwë he is justly most renowned: for his valour was as a fire and yet as steadfast as the hills of stone; wise he was and skilled in voice and hand; truth and justice he loved and bore good will to all, both Elves and Men, hating Morgoth only; he sought not his own, neither power nor glory, and death was his reward."

(This post was edited by -Fingon- on Jul 18 2022, 1:12am)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2022, 3:28am

Post #4 of 19 (1733 views)
Shortcut
I feel differently [In reply to] Can't Post

But first of all: hi -Fingon-, welcome to TORn! Smile

In Reply To
It would be better if our profile information was written under the messages we sent in the forum.

This is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine on some sites, where the postbit (the space where the username, title, avatar, etc is displayed) gets cluttered up with rows and rows of text and sometimes banners. My view is the less there, the better, generally speaking. TORn has one of the more minimalist postbits on forums where I've been active—unless you're viewing the board as an admin, it seems!—and I like the resulting look. And not displaying post totals unless you click through to a viewer's profile helps discourage the worst excesses of post-total-as-status-symbol culture. :P

(This post was edited by Eldy on Jul 18 2022, 3:37am)

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 18 2022, 3:48am

Post #5 of 19 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your welcome. I don't know what forum plugin this forum uses, but it will be pleasing to the eye to have profile information under the avatar in the messages we send. Because this way, members who use the forum too for role-playing will be able to enjoy it. profile plugins are not too many anyway. As I said, it would be nice if there was race addon too.

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Jul 18 2022, 5:39am

Post #6 of 19 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Forum [In reply to] Can't Post

This forums page source says "Powered by Gossamer-Threads.com Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3." Its oldest posts are from 2007 and there's an archive that preceded that to at least before the original LOTR movies came out. The movie-goers were interlopers who made a lot of noise for a while then left the gentle readers, who are the longest occupants here, alone for a while until The Hobbit and now again Rings of Power.

Going to the Gossamer-Threads.com website results in being forwarded to the software's new owners, Carbon 60, which from all appearances of their slick, marketing, fancy-pants website that say nothing except promote Cloud Services, they've likely left this 25-year-old forum software behind long, long ago and it's spit and glue and the sheer will of benevolent Tolkien fan techies holding it together now. I could be wrong.

So I suspect we're not going to see much in the way of plugins and change in the next 25 years.

In any case, race is a sensitive privacy issue. I would never fill it in, nor would I expose it in forum software were I running a website or forum.

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 18 2022, 6:07am

Post #7 of 19 (1698 views)
Shortcut

I do not agree that forum culture is over. As long as the internet exists, forums will always exist. Because although there are question and answer sites, forums can only serve a single subject for a particular community like this forum. But you're right that forums are declining. I wish there were forums with plugins like they used to be. The issue of race is like a character issue. It represents the race you want to be in the middle earth. Why would this be sensitive?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2022, 6:44am

Post #8 of 19 (1696 views)
Shortcut
You're not wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's spit and glue and the sheer will of benevolent Tolkien fan techies holding it together now.

I'm not au fait with the mechanics of TORN and what's actually possible beyond what we have. I do know that kid-gloves and expertise go a fair way to keep it running as smoothly as it does.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2022, 7:04am

Post #9 of 19 (1690 views)
Shortcut
I'm a 'movie going interloper' [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm still here.

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 18 2022, 8:48am

Post #10 of 19 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Hello, can you answer my this question; why can't the profile information be put under the message board avatar due to the tools used by the administrators?

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Jul 18 2022, 3:15pm

Post #11 of 19 (1660 views)
Shortcut
RP Race [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The issue of race is like a character issue. It represents the race you want to be in the middle earth. Why would this be sensitive?

Ah. Very good to clarify that you are not referring to real-world race, which was my assumption. A role-playing race and character build seems fine. A drop-down with defined, validated choices seems fine. But while I see a lot of book club-style discussion of and about Tolkien's Legendarium here, I can't say I've seen any tendency toward In-World role-playing on these forums, but I don't read them all. And then there's the issue of making the software do all that, which is what I thought to be unlikely.

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Jul 18 2022, 3:16pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2022, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 19 (1637 views)
Shortcut
I've given you the answers that I have. [In reply to] Can't Post

The wherefors of the board mechanics are beyond my knowledge.

One thing to consider is that differences between message board platforms aren't necessarily worse, just a different environment to experience. Enjoy the quirks. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 18 2022, 7:28pm)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2022, 8:31pm

Post #13 of 19 (1633 views)
Shortcut
I don't think anyone's ever used these forums for role-playing! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an interesting idea, but as long as I've been on TORN the major use of the forums has been discussion, so it doesn't really matter if someone identifies with a Middle-earth race or not. I'm not sure role-playing is what people come here for.
You can put as much information as you want in your signature, which is commonly where everyone has personalised their profiles. Or not, as they wish.

Storm clouds

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Jul 18 2022, 11:32pm

Post #14 of 19 (1629 views)
Shortcut
RP [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's an interesting idea, but as long as I've been on TORN the major use of the forums has been discussion

I think it's a better fit on a Discord channel, for example, so things can happen in real time, more or less. A forum is more like email.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2022, 6:40am

Post #15 of 19 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Good suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since the TORn day begins in Christchurch and sweeps around the globe to Seattle or thereabouts. Role-playing with such a time lag reminds me of the days (before my time) when people played chess matches through the mail.

I don't think anyone's morally opposed to RP; these fora just aren't the best place to do so.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

-Fingon-
The Shire

Jul 19 2022, 3:31pm

Post #16 of 19 (1579 views)
Shortcut

In fact, those who want to use the forums for roleplaying can do this by typing the name of the character they want in their username and putting the avatar of that character. The choice of race was just my idea. And I wondered why the profile information plugins in the forum were not under the avatar.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 19 2022, 7:04pm

Post #17 of 19 (1574 views)
Shortcut
You're correct [In reply to] Can't Post

As is DGHCaretaker:

it's spit and glue and the sheer will of benevolent Tolkien fan techies holding it together now.

The current forum software was, well, current in 2007 when we switched to it due primarily due to the fact it's template-based which contributed to the ease of migrating our old forums. Modifications can be made withing the templates, but modifications *to* the templates would require programming ability greater than any of our volunteers possess, or have time for. Plus, there's always the possibility of breaking something in the quest to make any changes. Since the majority of users here seem fine with its limitations, making any template changes isn't on anyone's list of priorities.

I like the attitude of enjoying it 'as is' despite a few patches of rust here and there. Smile

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 19 2022, 9:58pm

Post #18 of 19 (1564 views)
Shortcut
What you're asking for is akin to [In reply to] Can't Post

wondering why someone's Volkswagon doesn't have all the features of a Ferrari. No matter how hard you try, a Volkswagon isn't going to beat a Ferrari for speed or cool features.

Putting all that information into each post is not a function that the forum software we use has, and even if it did, it would bog down the loading times of pages more, and would cause more problems than it would solve. Like Altaira said, try enjoying the forums for what they are. To extend the car analogy, the forums will get you where you want to go, they just won't do it with the bells and whistles of other sites that it sounds like you're used to. And there's nothing wrong with having preferences, but your asks aren't within the capability of the tools we're using.
Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2022, 2:28am

Post #19 of 19 (1542 views)
Shortcut
oldest posts?? [In reply to] Can't Post

well 2007 might be the oldest for these NEW boards but there were posts prior to 2001 though I didn't get to TORN until after FOTR was in the theaters.

As a matter of fact it was FOTR that finally dragged be into the computer social media age via the now extinct Netscape (AKA Netsnake boards). Then I found TORN and a few other Tolkien sites.

So it's similar to the First Age, Second Age, Third Age.... etc etc....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.