*Props open doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2022, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 33 (731 views)
Shortcut
*Props open doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings and salutations, everyone! Welcome to this week's Fiesta 'it's officially summer now' Friday celebration.

This past week was one of complete rest and relaxation for me - which was completely involuntary! Remember my 'tweaked' back from last Fiesta? Well, it got worse and worse over the weekend until I couldn't stand or sit without getting excruciating cramps in my lower back. I ended up in bed where I spent most of the past week. Monday, B.G. and I were debating how we were going to get me to urgent care, but things started to slowly improve and as of yesterday I can finally get up and walk around. Woohoo! I also had my first remote doctor's appointment to get some muscle relaxers (and renew allergy medication). What a great concept! It makes perfect sense for non-serious, non-emergency consultations, plus if I was sick with a simple cold or sniffles I wouldn't have risked infecting anyone at the clinic.

I do have to say that B.G. is an absolute saint for basically doing just about everything for me, and around the house, for the past week. He racked up lots of 'good husband' points that he can redeem at a later date. Smile

So, what have all you folks who spent the week sitting and standing upright, and walking around, been doing this week? Order up your favorite summer (or winter for those 'down south') drink, take a few passes at the buffet, and let us know!

*kicks juke box* Taking it Easy by the Eagles starts to play (which is what I've been doing all week, lol Crazy)

Happy, fun weekend, everyone!! HeartHeartLaugh

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 24 2022, 4:12pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2022, 5:01pm

Post #2 of 33 (688 views)
Shortcut
Good grief, Altaira, what a heck of a way to spend the week! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad things are looking better for you, but what a (literal) pain to go through! B.G. is a sweetie, isn't he - give him a hug from all of us for taking such good care of you! Heart

Aren't the remote visits amazing? We've done some over the past couple of years. It also prevents you from getting the cold or other bug from someone in the waiting area.

Greetings from Martha's Vineyard! We've been just taking it easy (perfect song!) and doing a lot of walking around, it's very pleasant summer weather here on the Island. Had poached eggs on crabcakes for breakfast one day, now that's New England food! Laugh Will be heading back to reality on Tuesday.

Happy belated Solstice, everybody!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2022, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 33 (685 views)
Shortcut
Crabcakes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think now I'm even more envious than when you mention fresh, New England lobster.

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time with some well-deserved R&R. Enjoy the rest of your trip!! Smile

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2022, 8:45pm

Post #4 of 33 (683 views)
Shortcut
Navigating bureaucracy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the midst of the bureaucratic process of changing my legal name and gender, which has been a frustrating experience at several junctures, but it feels really good to be getting closer to the end goal. My new passport took a couple weeks longer than it should have because the first passport acceptance agent I spoke with at the post office refused to sign and stamp the form I needed him to, and insisted I use a different form since I wasn't applying for the first time. What I knew, and he apparently didn't, was that you have to use the first-time form if you're changing your gender marker, but I was too wound-up and nervous to stand my ground about that. I got a letter from the State Department a month later telling me to submit the correct form that time, but fortunately this did not restart the full 5–7 week waiting period.

The updated passport arrived in the mail earlier this week, so today I went to the local Social Security Administration field office, where again I spoke with someone who didn't know what they were talking about, and insisted I had to come back with a letter from my physician for them to change my gender in their system. I left at first, but fortunately I steeled myself and went back inside, pointed out that the SSA website said I did not need a letter if I had an updated passport, and dug in my heels even when the woman behind the counter called over two different coworkers to back her up. She was unable to find the purported regulation that agreed with her, and after 10 or 15 minutes and a conversation with somebody elsewhere in the office, she agreed to process my application. So I should have my new social security card in 7–14 days, after which I can finally get a driver's license with my new name.

As frustrating as this was, I'm really pleased that I was able to stand up for myself. I think that's a testament to how much progress I've made recently, even in the less than two months since I initially submitted my passport application. Fingers crossed this trend continues. :) I'm also increasingly blown away, with each new interaction with a different agency, by how smoothly my experience at the courthouse went at the start of this process. Props to the county government! lol

(This post was edited by Eldy on Jun 24 2022, 8:48pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2022, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 33 (669 views)
Shortcut
Oh, lucky you! [In reply to] Can't Post

NOT, lol.

5-7 weeks for a passport actually sounds pretty good. It took twice that for me to renew mine, but that was mostly due to Covid delays. Good to know they've 'caught up' from sleeping-sloth pace to their usual snail's pace.

Congrats on your successes on becoming 'official'!!! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Jun 24 2022, 9:21pm

Post #6 of 33 (675 views)
Shortcut
ow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It takes so long for the muscles to stop spasming after tweaking a back. I once had to spend four days basically lying on the floor until they settled. Hope yours continues to improve.

Good news (mostly) from the GI doc: there is one small spot of redness in the bowel, possibly the healing place of the bleed, but doesn't look like anything to worry about; no thrombosed vein or anything like that. So no real answers but nothing that needs attention either. We're going with the NSAID theory and I am getting on with life. So this morning I went on a lovely hike with friends where we saw or heard song sparrows, cedar waxwings, red-winged blackbirds, Swainson's thrushes (my favorite birdsong), swallows, an osprey, bullfrogs, robins, and many more. Summer has finally deigned to visit us and we may even inch close to 90 this weekend before we cool off again.

I'll have a lemonade!

Swainson's thrush song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmMYVeE9QJw

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 24 2022, 9:23pm)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2022, 10:14pm

Post #7 of 33 (664 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

I paid an extra $60 for my application to be expedited, though even if I hadn't, my understanding is they're moving faster than they were at the height of Covid. Which is lucky for me, since so much else about the name change process hinges on having the passport first.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2022, 11:35pm

Post #8 of 33 (669 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

An absolute pain indeed. I'm very glad to hear that it's improving, though. Yes, remote consultations can be so good! And utterly supportive, ever-helpful partners are jewels beyond price :) Wishing you continued improvement.

A quiet week here. It was my birthday on Tuesday, and was brilliantly sunny, which is far from a given at our winter solstice. I took things a little easy (keeping with the theme!), but didn't otherwise do much to mark one more passage of the Earth around the sun. We're having a somewhat special meal tonight, though: the spicy, slow-cooked lamb I usually do for Christmas. So the air is currently full of spice, to quote a line from a movie :). Crème brûlée, one of Mr Kimi's specialties, for afters.

This week we celebrated our first-ever official public holiday for Matariki, the Māori New Year. It's been wonderful to hear of the rich and varied celebrations around the country. So I'll wish you all Mānawatia a Matariki, Happy Matariki!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2022, 11:36pm

Post #9 of 33 (662 views)
Shortcut
That sounds so nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great that the weather's co-operating, too.

Enjoy the rest of your break.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2022, 11:40pm

Post #10 of 33 (663 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations [In reply to] Can't Post

on making progress! And for standing up for yourself when you knew you were the one with the correct facts. Hurrah for the new passport, and all the doors of various types it will open.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2022, 11:43pm

Post #11 of 33 (662 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

your (mostly) good news! I'm sure it would be nice to have a definitive answer, but knowing that there's nothing needing attention is excellent news. Your hike sounds lovely - as does the song thrush.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2022, 11:58pm

Post #12 of 33 (661 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for you, sometimes no news really *is* good news! Not finding anything horribly wrong = very, very good!

Sounds like a wonderful hike, and that all the birds and animals were just as happy as you were to have a nice day.

Enjoy the weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 25 2022, 12:03am

Post #13 of 33 (661 views)
Shortcut
Happy belated birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't go wrong with a beautiful, sunny day for your birthday, especially in Middle-earth. Spiced lamb and creme brulee sound like just the thing for the end of a birthday week, and maybe a bottle of one of NZ's up-and-coming pinots?

Enjoy!! Heart

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2022, 12:49am

Post #14 of 33 (658 views)
Shortcut
Hang on a second... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the first passport acceptance agent I spoke with at the post office refused to sign and stamp the form I needed him to

...they refused to do their job? And their agency doesn't have a work-around available to accommodate both them and customers? That's a failure to deliver service and, quite frankly, those people are working in the wrong field if they can't do what's required of them. I'm glad you found a way through that.

In Reply To
As frustrating as this was, I'm really pleased that I was able to stand up for myself.

Go you! Don't forget to celebrate these milestones. I reckon this calls for something chocolaty and gooey. If that's your thing. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2022, 1:05am

Post #15 of 33 (657 views)
Shortcut
It's been such a positive week [In reply to] Can't Post

with Matariki and the country seemingly embracing it with joy - a real lightener during our longest hours of nighttime.

I like these images taken at dawn on the shortest day, from Gisborne and Dunedin (the Matariki star cluster is on the far left, above and a bit left of the green light). We had a lights festival pop-up in the centre of town and it was *packed* - locals were clearly eager to have something to do in the city in the middle of winter. And, it looks like it'll be repeated next year. Smile

I took a few pics from the evening:

Glowy balls on water

Touch activated

Len Lye Wind Wand

Our part of the country is one of those places where we can't see the Matariki star cluster due to the hill country around us, so local iwi refer to Puanga (Rigel), which sits a bit higher in the sky.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2022, 4:59am

Post #16 of 33 (641 views)
Shortcut
Thanks -- and a belated happy birthday! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2022, 5:17am

Post #17 of 33 (640 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate is definitely my thing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...they refused to do their job? And their agency doesn't have a work-around available to accommodate both them and customers? That's a failure to deliver service and, quite frankly, those people are working in the wrong field if they can't do what's required of them. I'm glad you found a way through that.

Heh, I was mad when I got the letter from the State Department saying I needed to refile with the other form, especially since it said I had to pay $190 in fees again (fortunately, they sent me back the money order I included with the second application). That left me agitated enough that during my second visit, I said something when the person I got that time was about to mess up something else because he didn't bother to actually read the paperwork explaining how to refile. On the first visit, my pathological fear of being seen as disagreeable got the better of me, but I think I might finally be getting a handle on that.

In Reply To
Go you! Don't forget to celebrate these milestones. I reckon this calls for something chocolaty and gooey. If that's your thing. Smile

An excellent idea that I just might have to act on this weekend. Evil

(This post was edited by Eldy on Jun 25 2022, 5:17am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2022, 6:34am

Post #18 of 33 (634 views)
Shortcut
The pop-up [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds great (fab pics)! A nice time of year for it, too - light amid the darkness.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2022, 2:33pm

Post #19 of 33 (628 views)
Shortcut
ow.... ow, ow, ow... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SO sorry for what you've been going through. Days without being able to move... when you know there were times you had no choice... are torture. We really are lucky that we don't have our poor bodies give out on us more often with what we put them through. I'm always cognizant of me playing roulette with what I'm asking my body to do outside and inside. I'm glad you're feeling better. Yeah... B.G. is a Treasure :D THANKS B.G.!!!!

I've been visiting family, trying to fix my lawnmower(s), and scolding my outdoor cat Wizard. He's been raiding bunny nests and bringing the babies he's killed to the front porch and lining them up. 6 last week, 4 yesterday, 2 this morning. I'm sick about it.

Over the next week or 2, we're moving my daughter and her son to the townhouse (rental) and away from the temp apt where her PTSD has been constantly spiking with the gent of the small family downstairs yelling at wife/2 young kids and slamming doors all hours of the day and night. Police are frequent visitors. The new place will be the largest they've lived in for 10 years... going from about 400 sq ft to about 1,000 sq ft. So we're packing, storing, cleaning, and doing as much as we can before the actual July 1 moving day.

I'm going to snag a cold, rich chocolate shake and maybe some onion rings to give me fortitude :D Feel better completely and fastly, Altaira... and thank you for taking such great care of us! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2022, 4:05pm

Post #20 of 33 (621 views)
Shortcut
Tell Martha HOWDY for me! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad the weather is a welcoming as the Vineyard itself. I just heaved a heavy sigh on your behalf on how relaxing this respite is :D

Poached eggs and crabcakes? Oh geez... that sounds luscious! Enjoy your escape! I'm so SO happy your trip is finally here! *warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2022, 4:21pm

Post #21 of 33 (620 views)
Shortcut
Well... I've got news for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your accomplishments are not a trend anymore... it's who you ARE! WELL DONE! :D You've not only achieved these changes and updates for yourself, but you've schooled each of these officials on the legal procedures for all of those who come after you. *high five* TRAIL BLAZER!

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2022, 4:27pm

Post #22 of 33 (617 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

In more ways than one! Prayer works! :D I hope your knee was also behaving after last week's owie.

I'm so happy for your steady and strong healing. *warm hug* I'm thinking you're going to come out of all of this (starting with your shoulder) stronger and healthier than when it started :D

Have a wonderful time!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2022, 5:27pm

Post #23 of 33 (613 views)
Shortcut
Happy Belated Birthday & Matariki :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a week you've had!!! Happy Happy Birthday and Salute to Matariki's Celebration!

That special meal had me at slow-cooked! *slaver slurp* Enjoy your weekend and ENJOY THEM LEFTOVERS! (if any survived ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2022, 6:20pm

Post #24 of 33 (607 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice way of thinking of it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your accomplishments are not a trend anymore... it's who you ARE! WELL DONE! :D You've not only achieved these changes and updates for yourself, but you've schooled each of these officials on the legal procedures for all of those who come after you. *high five* TRAIL BLAZER!

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you! :D

Thanks, gramma! Blush Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2022, 2:06am

Post #25 of 33 (575 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, we shall! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been having fine weather and interesting adventures (of the missed -the-bus kind).

And this evening I had a lobster quesadilla for dinner!

I hope you're having a fully-recovered weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.