Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks doors* It's time for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

May 22 2022, 3:47am

Post #51 of 82 (648 views)
Shortcut
Yes I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Midgey is soldiering on. He is rather sweet in his somewhat confused twilight years. Currently on cat medication for high blood pressure. The things we do...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2022, 4:15am

Post #52 of 82 (643 views)
Shortcut
:D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2022, 3:52pm

Post #53 of 82 (628 views)
Shortcut
Small world! [In reply to] Can't Post

The large Amish community about 30 miles north of me is in Clare (also huge Irish community). Between them and me is an Indian Reservation... so it's a pretty diverse part of the state. They're well-known for them home/building construction, furniture, and quilts. My family's farm near Shreve, Ohio is also part of a massive Amish community. There's a 2-track carriage lane next to the farm and a very large Amish family farm on the other side of the fence.

I was shocked at the damage done by the tornado in Gaylord. It's my main stop when I'm going to Charlevoix (Lake Michigan) and the mushroom houses. When I saw the stores all ripped up... I was just there the week before when I went on my Spring escape to Charlevoix. Incredible.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 1:50pm

Post #54 of 82 (593 views)
Shortcut
Pickle's a great supporter of yard work [In reply to] Can't Post

Except when he's got to stay in his fenced-in area and I'm just right over there!! TAKE ME WITH YOU!!

*wipes foam from lip* Yeah... that hits the spot :D THANKS... I hope you had a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 2:06pm

Post #55 of 82 (589 views)
Shortcut
Clueless neighbours [In reply to] Can't Post

I rented for over 20 years... moving 22 times in those years... and I can count on one hand when we had good neighbours. Is there something in the lease that limits the number of pets?

I use a white noise machine and fans all the time, and it does save your sanity. I have tinnitus, so the white noise is a must. I hope your dog situation gets resolved soon. It's got to be bothering others nearby, too!

I hope you had a great weekend with a "quiet" walk ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 2:09pm

Post #56 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
What fun! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

From cycling to rowing... I love it! Work can be very inconvenient sometimes ;) I hope you have a well-paced week so you can enjoy the things your really want to do! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 2:22pm

Post #57 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
*gentle tackle hug* Such great news :) [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME HOME! At least your temp home. The kitties probably thought you smelled like the vet ;)

I'm sorry you're still going to be restricted; but am so happy you're progressing enough to be on your own at home. Are you able to do your days ok? I hope the friends who helped with the panthers can stop by and help with shopping and such.

*warm hug* I'm so happy for you! WELL DONE!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 2:48pm

Post #58 of 82 (587 views)
Shortcut
Old Man Winter! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you could huddle down for the weekend; but that kind of cold is hard to hide from. I hope you didn't have any damage! AND I hope your whole winter isn't like this. Have a great week :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2022, 2:55pm

Post #59 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
What a blow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you imagine how hard you would have been hit without that bush buffering the winds? I've surrounded my house with blue spruce (pine) and cedar trees to block the high winds coming across the farm fields surrounding me. As long as the trees keep standing... it helps ;)

What a way for winter to announce its arrival! Wow! I hope you didn't have any damage from the storm! HANG IN THERE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2022, 8:29pm

Post #60 of 82 (582 views)
Shortcut
And by bush [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean the c. five acres of forest behind the house! Yes, the wind that still made its way to the back door might have knocked me flat without that!

Now damage here, thankfully, but a town further south was hammered quite badly, with winds so strong they think it might have been a tornado.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

May 23 2022, 9:10pm

Post #61 of 82 (595 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm very late, but I have a good excuse [In reply to] Can't Post

A week ago Sunday I found myself on the floor of my apartment, passing out from blood loss from a massive internal bleed.

Fortunately a neighbor heard me cry for help. I've spend the last week in hospital having all kinds of tests, being transfused with ultimately 12 units of blood, and one day skating very near the edge again. But since Wednesday I started gaining ground and I was released yesterday into my brother's care for convalescing.

Still no answers. I will swallow the camera-pill sometime this week to see if they can find the source of the bleed in the small intestine; I was scoped down to that point and up to that point in hospital, but nothing showed. Various scans also found nothing. The good news is, there's a whole lot that isn't wrong with me! The main suspect right now is NSAIDs, and I am not to take one ever again.

It was not just a life-threatening event, it was a life-changing one. I had such compassionate care and strong connections formed with my care team that it validated a great many of my feelings about other people and about myself. And for all that so many things seem wrong about the world today, I came out seeing only beauty.

Sadly I had to cancel my research trip to Maine AGAIN. I had to cancel two years ago because of COVID. But COVID is peaking again in Maine so maybe it's for the best . . .

I didn't get to eat for a week, and am slowly reintroducing food (yogurt today), but a virtual BLT and a hot fudge sundae can't harm . . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 23 2022, 9:13pm)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

May 23 2022, 9:13pm

Post #62 of 82 (580 views)
Shortcut
walking practice [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm supposed to receive a two-wheeled walker for stability. I do have Mr. E's four-wheeled walker (rollator) which has the advantage of a flip-down seat for rest. In-house PT and nursing to begin this week.

For now I'm limited from lifting anything over 5 lbs/ 2.2.4 kg, making even the kitties off limits Unsure and the laundry Laugh .

ETX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

May 23 2022, 9:23pm

Post #63 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back to life and to TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

May 23 2022, 10:56pm

Post #64 of 82 (571 views)
Shortcut
Not that I recall, unfortunately. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is probably why (coincidentally) every other unit in our building *also* has at least 2 dogs, if not more like 4 or 5. It's a zoo here, frankly. But I'm sure someone with that many dogs would gobble up a unit that doesn't impose any additional rent or restrictions on pets. Sadly we're the guys with no pets who didn't sign up for a zoo on all four sides, either. Shocked If nothing else, we're halfway through our lease and will be looking for something new before we know it!

And thanks! Sounds like you had a great shopping day at the market, so glad you had a good one too. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

May 23 2022, 11:04pm

Post #65 of 82 (571 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no words, other than to say I'm very glad to hear you're alive! What an absolute nightmare. And thank goodness for that neighbor being within earshot at the right moment, as well as the wonderful team you had with you.

I'm sure the past week has felt like a lifetime and then some. Please do keep us posted as you're able - but wishing you a full road to recovery, and some good karma that gets you to Maine before you know it. Heart

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

May 24 2022, 3:55am

Post #66 of 82 (567 views)
Shortcut
And all about you will be beauty [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk in a rainbow of beauty,
Walk in a pathway of song,
And all about you will be beauty.
There is a way out of every dark mist
Over the rainbow trail.

by Navajo (Dine) Wayne Wilson
written at least 50 years ago; I learned it in Girl Scouting

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 24 2022, 12:32pm)

Starling
Half-elven

May 24 2022, 7:24am

Post #67 of 82 (556 views)
Shortcut
Happy National Lamb Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is. Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2022, 12:36pm

Post #68 of 82 (548 views)
Shortcut
The poor kitties! [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll just have to be content with snuggling up to you, no pick-ups!

Too bad about the laundry, though...Laugh I'm assuming there's a hotel laundry service?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

May 24 2022, 1:04pm

Post #69 of 82 (552 views)
Shortcut
the Navajo beauty prayer [In reply to] Can't Post

In beauty I walk
With beauty before me I walk
With beauty behind me I walk
With beauty above me I walk
With beauty around me I walk
It has become beauty again

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2022, 1:13pm

Post #70 of 82 (552 views)
Shortcut
Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

*cooks bacon, gets largest sundae glass, heats premium chocolate sauce*

Oh gosh, what a unbelievable thing to happen - no warning, nothing! I am so relieved that a neighbor was able to hear you!

It must feel like you have been There and Back Again, what a blessing to have such a wonderful care team! I know you won't be "out of the woods" until they figure out what caused the bleeding, but they'll do their darndest to make sure it doesn't happen again. Cool

Now, the important question - is your kitty being well-cared-for? He must be frantic, wondering where his human is! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2022, 1:13pm

Post #71 of 82 (546 views)
Shortcut
Baby steps :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My friends/family who have had these restrictions were always incredulous about those same lifting and mobility limits, but absolutely agreed with them when it came down to "feeling" those restrictions. I'm just so glad you're able to be back with your babies who can soothe your heart and give you that wonderful love that only our pets can give :)

*massive hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2022, 2:20pm

Post #72 of 82 (543 views)
Shortcut
OMG! Annael!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*gentle hug* How terrifying! Thank Goodness your neighbour heard you and that you were able to call out! I'm so so sorry!! I'm so grateful you had (and have) such a strong team of healers there to save you. *tearing* Things can change so quickly. ElanorTX and you have both been brought up short and so close to devastating outcomes. I hope they can find what happened.

It was not just a life-threatening event, it was a life-changing one. I had such compassionate care and strong connections formed with my care team that it validated a great many of my feelings about other people and about myself. And for all that so many things seem wrong about the world today, I came out seeing only beauty.

I'm so happy for you to have this result from the otherwise horrible event. People really are incredible, and for what you've found here warms my heart. Things do happen for a reason... and if this is the only thing to come from this bizarre turn, it's a blessing... as you are, too.

Thank you for letting us know. You're in my prayers, and I know you're going to come away from this stronger, empowered, and that it will inform your writing with the wisdom and grace this is giving you. Please take care...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

May 24 2022, 3:20pm

Post #73 of 82 (548 views)
Shortcut
Charlie is fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I moved to the Skagit to be near two of my besties, and they immediately took over Charlie care, going in morning and evening to feed him and cuddle him. And send me lots of videos! Then yesterday a friend's son, just out of college, described by his vet mom as "a cat whisperer" and as only TOO happy to housesit rather than live with his parents, moved in for the duration. So Charlie has a full-time live-in caretaker, which he prefers. (One of my friends said he would leap into her arms when she showed up and hug her.) I miss the dude, but I rest easy knowing he's in good arms, literally.

Meanwhile I am living like a cat myself: plenty of naps and food on demand. I'm being well catered for at my brother's house. Those same besties put together everything they thought I might need and my brother picked it up the day before I got released, so I've got my laptop here and all my bathroom stuff as well as a nice selection of clothing.

I have a good net. I think a lot about the Buddhist concept of Indra's net. It's been borne in on me this week that we are ALL shining jewels connected to each other.

https://www.learnreligions.com/indras-jewel-net-449827

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

May 24 2022, 4:12pm

Post #74 of 82 (540 views)
Shortcut
I have decided that I am going to be a cat for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots and lots of naps and food whenever I like. The well needs time to fill up again. And it will.

HeartHeartHeart

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2022, 7:55pm

Post #75 of 82 (526 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost had lamb chops for dinner last night - that would've been appropriate.
Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.