The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How Bolg should have died…

AshNazg
Gondor

May 2 2022, 11:11pm

Post #1 of 6 (31362 views)
Shortcut
How Bolg should have died… Can't Post

Just rewatched Bo5A, and had a fun thought. Imagine if you edit out Legolas stabbing Bolg in the head, and instead Legolas tricks Bolg by collapsing the tower they’re on, causing him to fall…

Then we see Bolg on the floor twitching and still alive… cut to back Thorin and Azog fighting…

Cut back to Bolg slowly getting up and noticing Tauriel is still alive, he hobbles back toward the battle.

Cut back to Thorin and Azog, the eagles arrive…

Bolg is about to go for Tauriel (or Legolas) but then…
Beorn swoops in and rips him to shreds.

This way both Legolas and Beorn would have satisfying conclusions.

I feel like one day CGI will be good enough that fans will be able to make something like this happen in a fan edit. It would only require a couple of very brief vfx shots and some smart editing.

Just imagine the troll in this clip is Bolg - https://youtu.be/hOQBWuPtx3M

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 2 2022, 11:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2022, 12:50am

Post #2 of 6 (31333 views)
Shortcut
Honoring Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

That would at least have recognized how Bolg meets his end in the book. It never sat right with me that Legolas robbed Beorn of his rightful kill.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2022, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 6 (27186 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was weird that Bolg died that way [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in the extended cut when Legolas twists the dagger in his head. While it definitely made it more 'teeth grinding, it would of been cool if Beorn had killed him like in the books. I'm still curious to know more of Beorn's backstories in the films. They teased so much before the films came out and just kind of left it at least with the Dol Gulder sequence that even one of the lego sets teased.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

AshNazg
Gondor

Oct 24 2022, 7:54pm

Post #4 of 6 (26961 views)
Shortcut
Probably studio decision to have more Leggy [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people loved the “Leggy moments” I don’t know who they are, but I’m sure the studio demanded Legolas get more screen-time and Beorn got the axe as a result :( - I think they should have given Thranduil a Leggy moment and have Legolas look at him like “Wow I wish I could do that”, like a small character arc for him Laugh

Also possible that they reduced Beorn’s screen time because of the actor’s behaviour - he was involved with the police and found with drugs at the time of production, so perhaps that complicated things.

I’d love to at least see the scripts of what could have been. Apparently there was a very funny scene, looking for the secret path to Rivendell, before they turned it into a warg chase.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Oct 24 2022, 7:56pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 3 2023, 5:57am

Post #5 of 6 (25384 views)
Shortcut
Agree, and Dain should have killed Azog too [In reply to] Can't Post

Could have had him come up and save Thorin right as Azog struck him down.

I thought the whole final conflict on Ravenhill felt pretty messy. However, hard to blame it on the filmmakers when they were rushed so heavily on the third film specifically.

I still can’t believe PJ wasn’t given whatever he asked for by the studio (yes, even a delay!) after LOTR. What else did he have to do to earn their faith?

1) FOTR 2) AUJ 3) ROTK 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2023, 10:08am

Post #6 of 6 (24822 views)
Shortcut
One good thing about this version [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that it did show Elves and Dwarves co-operating in slaying Bolg.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.