The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**FD Party - I though YOU said that!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2022, 4:25pm

Post #1 of 17 (2591 views)
Shortcut
**FD Party - I though YOU said that! Can't Post

In Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring, there are several times when something said by a character in the book was said by someone else in the film. Do you know who said what in the 10 examples below, and who did they say it to?

Lots of these are easy; but there are many variations in the journey from book to film, so be careful not to trip over the rugged transitions of some.

Do you know of any others? I'll give the answers in a separate post.

ENJOY!

1. At Parth Galen, Legolas says to Aragorn, "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind."

2. Galadriel's voice is heard in the opening of FotR saying, "[elvish] The world is changed. [elvish] I feel it in the water. [elvish] I feel it in the earth. [elvish] I smell it in the air."

3. Treebeard spoke sternly to a tree that attacked Merry and Pippin in Fangorn, saying, "You should not be waking. Eat earth! Dig deep! Drink water! Go to sleep!"

4. When Strider and the hobbits are struggling through the Midgewater Marshes, Merry asks, "What do they eat when they can't get hobbit?"

5. In Rivendell, Arwen said to Aragorn, "You are the heir of Isildur, not Isildur himself".

6. At the Mirror of Galadriel, she said to Frodo, "This task was appointed to you; and if you do not find a way, no one will."

7. At the doors of Moria, Gandalf reads the words carved above. "It reads, The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend, and enter."
Merry: "What do you suppose that means?"
Gandalf: "Oh, it's quite simple! If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open."

8. In Lothlorien, Haldir said to Gimli and the Fellowship, "The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark."

9. In Hollin, Legolas notices something moving high on the horizon. The others looked up.
Sam asks, "What is that?"
Gimli: "Nothing, it's just a wisp of clouds."
Boromir: "It's moving fast, and against the wind."

10. When Frodo tries to leave Parth Galen, he pulls a drowning Sam into the boat. Waterlogged, Sam tells Frodo, "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise! Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to…"
Sam was responding to a discussion he had with Gandalf previously that he shared with Frodo as they camped by the Great River.
Frodo responded to Sam who was concerned that Frodo wasn't eating or sleeping.
Frodo: "I'm alright."
Sam: "But you're not. I'm here to help you. I promised Gandalf that I would."

Thanks for playing!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26 2022, 4:29pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2022, 8:18pm

Post #2 of 17 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh, this is both evil and fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Frodo?

2. Hmmm, maybe Fangorn.

3. Quickbeam.

4. Sam.

5. Big fat guess: Elrond.

6. Oooh crikey, um ... Gandalf?

7. Frodo and Gandalf.

8. Glorfindel?

9. OK, this is getting hard. In order: Merry, Boromir and Aragorn?

10. This one has stumped me. Fatty Bolger?

*sigh* I guess I'd better dust off the Mediocrity Bench...
Tongue

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

InTheChair
Rohan

Apr 26 2022, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 17 (2531 views)
Shortcut
Interesting game in respect to some recent rumors about CT. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gandalf? To the Council maybe? In Rivendell.

2. Treebeard. Probably to the hobbits?

3. Tom Bombadill? To Old Man Willow?

4. Hmm.. One of the Hobbits for ceratain.. Sam or Frodo pehaps... Not sure

5. Aragorn? To Frodo at the Counsil? In Rivendell.

6. Elrond? At the Counsil? In Rivendell.

7. Gimli. To the company

8. Legolas. In Lothlorien. To the company

9. Aragorn?

10. Not sure... Maybe this really is Sam to Frodo?

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2022, 2:38am

Post #4 of 17 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Some of these I easily remember. Others, not so much [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Not sure... maybe Gandalf?

2. These are Treebeard's lines.

3. And these are Tom Bombadil's.

4. It's either Pippin or Sam.

5. Aragorn says this about himself at the Council.

6. Elrond says this to Frodo at the Council.

7. This is a recasting of Merry's line; he actually asks what the inscription means by repeating it.

8. Not sure... maybe one of the Elves makes this as a general comment about the Company as a whole? I remember that Sam thereafter tries to breathe quietly.

9. Maybe Frodo asks what it was.
Maybe Gandalf says it was just a wisp of cloud.
Definitely Aragorn who says it was moving fast and against the wind.

10. I think Sam promised the Elves of Lothlorien that he would stick by Mr. Frodo.

Great quiz, gramma! I can't wait to see which ones I flubbed.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2022, 1:59am

Post #5 of 17 (2515 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS to I thought YOU said that! [In reply to] Can't Post

ANSWERS

1. At Parth Galen, Legolas says to Aragorn, "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind."

Answer: Aragorn said it to Frodo when they camped along the River. "…a shadow and a threat has been growing in my sleep. It would be well to draw your sword."

2. Galadriel's voice is heard in the opening of FotR saying, "[elvish] The world is changed. [elvish] I feel it in the water. [elvish] I feel it in the earth. [elvish] I smell it in the air."

Answer: Treebeard said it to Galadriel and Celeborn in the Treegarth of Orthanc.
"Then Treebeard said farewell to each of them in turn, and he bowed three times slowly and with great reverence to Celeborn and Galadriel. 'It is long, long since we met by stock or by stone, A vanimar, vanimálion nostari!' he said. 'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air."

3. Treebeard spoke sternly to a tree that attacked Merry and Pippin in Fangorn, saying, "You should not be waking. Eat earth! Dig deep! Drink water! Go to sleep!"

Answer: Tom Bombadil talking to Old Man Willow when he saved Merry and Pippin by the River in the Old Forest.
"'You should not be waking. Eat earth! Dig deep! Drink water! Go to sleep! Bombadil is talking!'"

4. When Strider and the hobbits are struggling through the Midgewater Marshes, Merry asks, "What do they eat when they can't get hobbit?"

Answer: Sam
"'I am being eaten alive!' cried Pippin. 'Midgewater! There are more midges than water!'
'What do they live on when they can't get hobbit?' asked Sam, scratching his neck."

5. In Rivendell, Arwen said to Aragorn, "You are the heir of Isildur, not Isildur himself".

Answer: Aragorn said it to Boromir at the Council of Elrond. "I am but the heir of Isildur, not Isildur himself."

6. At the Mirror of Galadriel, she said to Frodo, "This task was appointed to you; and if you do not find a way, no one will."

Answer: Elrond says it to Frodo at the end of the Council of Elrond when the Fellowship is formed.

7. At the doors of Moria, Gandalf reads the words carved above. "It reads, The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend, and enter."
Merry: "What do you suppose that means?"
Gandalf: "Oh, it's quite simple! If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open."

Answer: Gimli says it to Merry about the print above the doors of Moria.
"'What does it mean by speak, friend, and enter?' asked Merry.
'That is plain enough,' said Gimli. 'If you are a friend, speak the password, and the doors will open, and you can enter.'"

8. In Lothlorien, Haldir said to Gimli and the Fellowship, "The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark."

Answer: Legolas says it to Sam after escaping Moria and they have entered the woods of Lorien and encounter some Elves..
"Yes, they are Elves… and they say that you breathe so loud that they could shoot you in the dark." Sam hastily put his hand over his mouth.

9. In Hollin, Legolas notices something moving high on the horizon. The others looked up.
Sam asks, "What is that?"
Gimli: "Nothing, it's just a wisp of clouds."
Boromir: "It's moving fast, and against the wind."

Answer: Frodo talking with Gandalf, and Aragorn shared an observation.
"It was the cold chill hour before the first stir of dawn and the moon was low. Frodo looked up at the sky. Suddenly he saw or felt a shadow pass over the high stars, as if for a moment they faded and then flashed out again. He shivered.
'Did you see anything pass over?' he whispered to Gandalf, who was just ahead.
'No, but I felt it, whatever it was,' he answered. 'It may be nothing, only a wisp of thin clouds.'
'It was moving fast then,' muttered Aragorn, 'and not with the wind.'"

10. When Frodo tries to leave Parth Galen, he pulls a drowning Sam into the boat. Waterlogged, Sam tells Frodo, "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise! Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to…"
Sam was responding to a discussion he had with Gandalf previously that he shared with Frodo as they camped by the Great River.
Frodo responded to Sam who was concerned that Frodo wasn't eating or sleeping.
Frodo: "You can't help me, Sam. Not this time…"

Answer: The Elves in Woodhall. Presumably Gildor Inglorion since he primarily spoke to Frodo with authority.
"'It is going to be very dangerous, Sam. It is already dangerous. Most likely neither of us will come back.'
'If you don't come back, sir, then I shan't, that's certain,' said Sam. 'Don't you leave him! they said to me. Leave him! I said. I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the Moon; and if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with, I said. They laughed.'
'Who are they, and what are you talking about?'
'The Elves, sir.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 28 2022, 2:09am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2022, 3:19am

Post #6 of 17 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Thought of another one [In reply to] Can't Post

(I arrived too late to play, which is a good thing, as I only knew three of those :) Nice one, Gramma!)

Faramir and Eowyn swap lines book to movie when speaking of Numenor.

Book: "It reminds me of Númenor," said Faramir [...] "of the great dark wave climbing over the green lands"

Movie: I can't remember Eowyn's exact words, but she refers to dreaming of a great wave over the land.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Apr 28 2022, 3:23am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2022, 5:01am

Post #7 of 17 (2485 views)
Shortcut
My score: one and a third. [In reply to] Can't Post

*bypasses Mediocrity Bench, sits in Dunce Corner*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 28 2022, 6:03am

Post #8 of 17 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Bad guesses forthcoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a huge caveat here of, a) I'm writing this before bed and b) I haven't had my nose in the books for at least a year, so I'm a bit rusty LOL.

1. Aragorn speaking to Gandalf?

2. Treebeard to...Merry & Pippin?

3. Bombadil to Old Man Willow.

4. Is this Sam?

5. Elrond or Gandalf perhaps - I'll guess the latter.

6. I should know this...I'll say Gildor to Frodo.

7. Gandalf & Frodo speaking?

8. Gildor to Gimli?

9. Not sure, perhaps Aragorn?

10. Not quite following this one to make a guess.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 28 2022, 6:06am

Post #9 of 17 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Welp [In reply to] Can't Post

Started off well with 4 but downhill from there. Angelic

Thanks for the game, gramma!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2022, 12:42pm

Post #10 of 17 (2465 views)
Shortcut
It's NEVER too late to play FD Games :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially how slow it takes for the posts to fall from the screen. More may be added if anyone would like to share. :D

Good Catch on the Faramir/Eowyn cross-over!

In film RotK, Eowyn says to Aragorn:

I dreamed I saw a great wave climbing over green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet. A light shown behind me but I could not turn. I could only stand there, waiting.

Finding these are like little games of hide-n-seek :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2022, 2:04am

Post #11 of 17 (2386 views)
Shortcut
They said what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoo boy, gramma, some of these are easy, and some I thought were movie-only! Blush

Okay, here goes:

Oh dear, I had to look this up! Aragorn says this to Frodo while travelling on the river.

I know this one! Treebeard says this, to Merry and Pippin.

Oh yeah, Tom Bombadil said this to Old Man Willow.

It's Sam who says this in the book.

I had to look up this one also - Aragorn says it at the Council of Elrond, I'd forgotten that!

Elrond says this to Frodo at the Council.

… Merry: "What do you suppose that means?"
… Gandalf: "Oh, it's quite simple! If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open."
Gandalf and Merry say the same at the entrance to Moria, but the third sentence is spoken by...uh-oh, another look-up. Pippin? No, it's Gimli!

I thought this was only in the movies! Let me look...oh, the Elves are saying that about Sam as they enter Lorien.

… Sam asks, "What is that?"
… Gimli: "Nothing, it's just a wisp of clouds."
… Boromir: "It's moving fast, and against the wind."

This is Frodo, then Gandalf, then Aragorn while walking at night in Hollin.

… Sam was responding to a discussion he had with Gandalf previously that he shared with Frodo as they camped by the Great River.
… Frodo responded to Sam who was concerned that Frodo wasn't eating or sleeping.

Well, this one is stumping me! I can't recall, or find, who's saying this. Off to check your answers, then! Thank you for the challenge, gramma! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4 2022, 12:06pm

Post #12 of 17 (2373 views)
Shortcut
Well done! And Thanks to Everyone :D [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a bit of a tricksy game, but it was fun looking for cross-overs of the various phrases. :D After seeing the films for so long, I couldn't always remember which was book people and which was film!

Next year will be Two Towers lines!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

May 5 2022, 5:26pm

Post #13 of 17 (2343 views)
Shortcut
oh fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gandalf

2. Treebeard

3. Tom Bombadil

4. Sam

5. hmmm . . . Galadriel?

6. Elrond

7. Gimli and Pippin

8. Yeah . . . it was a Lothlorien elf but I'm not sure we knew his name

9. I think this was Aragorn & Legolas

10. He promised Galadriel

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

May 5 2022, 5:29pm

Post #14 of 17 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! four out of ten [In reply to] Can't Post

guess I'm not a real fan!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

May 5 2022, 8:06pm

Post #15 of 17 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Plenty of folks on the Mediocrity Bench // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 6 2022, 1:08pm

Post #16 of 17 (2303 views)
Shortcut
That includes me! [In reply to] Can't Post

While putting this together... I took a guess before checking the text and was surprised at my misses!!! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ugly Troll
Rivendell

May 13 2022, 4:29pm

Post #17 of 17 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Been too long since I read them through [In reply to] Can't Post

So I got only 3 of 'em :o/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.