Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will The Hobbit Films be "Oscar" worthy?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

May 17 2008, 8:10pm

Post #1 of 28 (471 views)
Shortcut
Will The Hobbit Films be "Oscar" worthy? Can't Post

So we all know that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was a great achievement in movie history, with all three films in the trilogy being nominated for Best Picture. All three films were also released at the end of the year, December to be exact. I know that usually, if a film is expected to be Oscar gold, it is released at a later time in the year in order to keep it fresh on the minds of the critics when awards season comes around. Now my question is this.......

Will PJ and GDT be aiming for the same kind of impact with the Hobbit and its sequel, or will they be aiming to just make the film as entertaining as possible? I know that, regardless, they will make it as entertaining as possible but do you think they will try to make it something critics will look at towards award season? It would be nice to see The Hobbit get some acting nods and even Best Picture. I'm just wondering what everyone will think if the release date of the movie falls in the spring or summer as opposed to the winter? Do you want it to be as unprecedented and grand as LOTR in terms of awards? Or do you just want it to be what it is?

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 17 2008, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 28 (227 views)
Shortcut
It will, but the question is, will it be a winner? [In reply to] Can't Post

Movies like LOTR always find their way into the Oscars, so it's without a doubt that The Hobbit will get nominated, but we'll just have to see if things turn out good enough for it to win any.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 28 (260 views)
Shortcut
No, it will be laughed out of theaters and lambasted by critics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly, it will close in a month. Sad, because it will be a great film, the kind of achievement that The Lord of the Rings films only wanted to be. But no one will realize it for forty years, when what was once considered del Toro's notorious, career-breaking flop is at last appreciated for its genius, and he's finally given an honorary Oscar. Jackson's LotR films will by then have fallen into a dustbin of obscurity, and deservedly so, in the opinions of the few film historians that ever watch the trilogy.

In other words: who knows? But I don't think that del Toro should make his film with Oscar in mind.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us May 12-18 for "The King of the Golden Hall".

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17 2008, 9:30pm

Post #4 of 28 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'm indifferent [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't care about the awards for myself, except to the extent it helps the careers of the people who work on the movies. I will be very satisfied if The Hobbit movies are true to the book, and the extra material is as true to Tolkien as it can be.

I think the movies will be of high quality in the technical areas, but I highly doubt there will be any acting awards. The movies will be ensemble-type, and it's very difficult for an actor on that type of movie to be nominated for an acting award.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

squire
Valinor

May 17 2008, 9:33pm

Post #5 of 28 (219 views)
Shortcut
"Eat 'em with popcorn!" said Bert. "No butter!" said Tom. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love for The Hobbit to be a high-quality summer blockbuster: light, funny, exciting, precision-made, a masterpiece of the comic art - without a serious bone in its body. It is a comedy, after all. Bilbo should be funny, and the dwarves funnier. The serious material in the book should be played as Edwardian melodrama, with Bilbo's deadpan commonplaces puncturing the atmosphere every time. The monsters should be scary, but always get defeated; Gollum should be both creepy and absurd; Gandalf should be fussy and exasperated; Thorin should be serious, pompous, and full of himself, but nevertheless smarter and more effective than his companions.

Even the Battle of the Five Armies could be played as in the book: just as it gets going, music building, special effects exploding, Bilbo falls unconscious and we miss most of it - a satire of those overblown war epic movies, just as Tolkien intended! Later Gandalf tries to tell the hobbit what happened next, but keeps getting interrupted by the more serious business of Bilbo getting some food - Bilbo really doesn't care how the battle was won, as long as it was won by the good guys. We get the general sense that there was a large battle, but that it ultimately had no effect on history.

One benefit of this would be to differentiate The Hobbit from the LotR films as soon as possible, so that people would realize this is not LotR Part IV. Families would flock to it. If it's done right, it should rule the summer season!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 18 2008, 12:44am

Post #6 of 28 (193 views)
Shortcut
Nice post... [In reply to] Can't Post

And here's what I think: it will be hard for either to win an Oscar.

Not by the movies' merits, but just because of the sheer expectations that are placed on them. After all, 11 Oscars is a tough act to follow.

However, I agree with that who said Del Toro will aim for an Oscar, let's just hope expectations do not kill these movies critically.

EDIT: Little piece of trivia, since I don't think it's worth putting it in its own thread: Bernard Hill is the ONLY person to have appeared in two 11-Oscar movies (he was the captain of the Titanic) Beside being one of the two people who have appeared in two movies with over $1 billion in global box office. The other one? Orlando Bloom, playing Legolas, and Will Turner.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

(This post was edited by Compa_Mighty on May 18 2008, 12:49am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 18 2008, 6:28am

Post #7 of 28 (206 views)
Shortcut
'Movies like LOTR always find their way into the Oscars'??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think so at all: as far as I know, it was on the contrary one of the most momentous victory won by PJ's 'Rings', that it was the first film on a story of that type that got considered worthy of Oscar nominations... let alone Oscar wins!!!
It actually got a record number of them, equal to the record won by 'normal' movies, but did that start a trend one can always count on, is not sure...
Let's say rather that at least the long tabou has been broken, and hopefully will stay broken...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on May 18 2008, 6:29am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 18 2008, 6:47am

Post #8 of 28 (188 views)
Shortcut
'without a serious bone in its body'?... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course yes, it is a comedy, but with increasing seriousness as it turns into quite a big war because of Thorin's 'stiff neck', acknowledged with embarrassment and sorrow even by his own companions, but which is the central reason why all the others in turn have no other way than going to war against him as well. Bilbo (and all the readers with him) can see every time how peace could have been maintained and a very good agreement reached, but for Thorin's decision every time to reject the offer. Yes, it all hangs by a thread like that, and depends on the decisions made by petty tyrants like that, in the 'real world' as well, alas...
It seems to me that Tolkien's Bilbo realizes more and more as time passes how empty is the supposed glory of war, in defeat of course, but just as well in victory. It's all expressed in a way that won't bore or really alarm the children that will read the story, and it never turns totally into a drama, but I would say there are definitely a few serious bones here and there, and that they shouldn't be lost in the film version of the story.

(This post was edited by mae govannen on May 18 2008, 6:48am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 18 2008, 6:51am

Post #9 of 28 (170 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind, as long as they aren't done for that aim...// [In reply to] Can't Post

bookgirl13
Lorien

May 18 2008, 1:14pm

Post #10 of 28 (166 views)
Shortcut
Acting awards [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the movies will be of high quality in the technical areas, but I highly doubt there will be any acting awards. The movies will be ensemble-type, and it's very difficult for an actor on that type of movie to be nominated for an acting award.

I agree but think that it is a pity. Some of the acting in LotR was as good if not better than that presented in 'normal' movies. And over all three films the screen time for any of the main characters matches that for a main character in a feature film. If I had to award acting trophies, then Andy Serkis, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Bernard Hill and Miranda Otto would be up there on the podium - their impact on the screen was tremendous and they all brought such depth to their characters.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2008, 1:15pm

Post #11 of 28 (176 views)
Shortcut
When Peter Jackson filmed [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR, he didn't do it with the intention of winning the Oscars at all... given the fact that fantasy films simply didn't win best picture Oscars. ;) I would be amazed if The Hobbit and film2 didn't win any Oscars, though. We consistently won for other aspects of the films (costume, special effects, music, etc). I'm still shocked at the lack of acting recognition. *scowls*

I think if they released on December 22, 2010, they'd have a fabulous weekend turnout as it would be the Christmas Holiday weekend. If they can't release until 2011, they'd better not make me wait until December!!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 18 2008, 1:16pm

Post #12 of 28 (180 views)
Shortcut
What I mean, is fantasy always finds a way . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the past years, films like LOTR, Harry Potter (if I recall anyways), and Golden Compass have found away to atleast get nominated. They're all fantasy movies, and with The Hobbit being a prequel to LOTR, and a fantasy movie, my guess is it will get nominations, but we can't tell yet if it'll win anything.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Hellmistress
Lorien

May 18 2008, 1:58pm

Post #13 of 28 (175 views)
Shortcut
Gravy [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo won't be making these films with any kind of award in mind - he never has. He makes movies that he would like to see. Saying that, he was astonished at the awards Pan's Labyrinth garnered, including six Oscar nominations and three wins, all of them deserved (although the film SHOULD have won Best Foreign Film). But he is also very aware that this kind of 'genre' film will always have an uphill battle for the top awards. Remember that RotK won after the first two had been 'ignored' by the committee, even though in many fans' and critics' opinions it wasn't the best film of the three, an opinion with which I agree wholeheartedly.

But all of this is moot - GdT will make these films the way he wants, with a result as close to his own vision as he can. If he is happy with the result and audiences are happy with the result, then for him that is reward enough. Anything else is just gravy, lovely and powerful gravy though it is.

HM

The Doug Jones Experience

Patty
Immortal

May 18 2008, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 28 (157 views)
Shortcut
I think they will be well made... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's all we can expect now. Since LotR, the movie world has been inundated with fantasy films, trying to be the next "Rings" movie. Some have been good, many have been bad, but the point is, there have been too many. It'll be very hard to "stand out" now, even with the pedigree of "literary classic". I believe they will get production, costume, effects type awards, perhaps even music, but that will be it.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Elenedhel
Rivendell

May 18 2008, 5:54pm

Post #15 of 28 (153 views)
Shortcut
I'm also hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that it will be nomiated for Best Picture. But even if it doesn't it's sure to be nominated for Best Visual Effects. I mean, Weta's doing the effects.

"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men,and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace..."

"Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 18 2008, 11:15pm

Post #16 of 28 (194 views)
Shortcut
I loved PJ's comments [In reply to] Can't Post

upon receiving one of the ROTK Oscars - I think it was the Best Picture one - where he thanked the academy for no long thinking of fantasy as an F word. Now all we need is for other fantasy films to follow on from the high standards set by the likes of Pan's Labrynth and LOTR when it comes to excellence of story-telling, to show the world that these noniminations weren't flukes and that fantasy is a serious form of the movie art.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

fmaximus
Rivendell

May 19 2008, 4:27pm

Post #17 of 28 (135 views)
Shortcut
I thought Ian McKellen [In reply to] Can't Post

did an amazing job in LOTR and should have at least been nominated for an oscar.

Patty
Immortal

May 19 2008, 4:44pm

Post #18 of 28 (120 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't he nominated for Fellowship? [In reply to] Can't Post

and lost to the actor in Iris?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 19 2008, 5:32pm

Post #19 of 28 (125 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he lost to Jim Broadbent. [In reply to] Can't Post

The other nominees were Ethan Hawke for Training Day, Ben Kingsley for Sexy Beast, and Jon Voight for Ali.

Scanning the filmographies of Broadbent and McKellen, it's interesting to see that Broadbent had a supporting role in Walter (1982) and Walter and June (1983), two acclaimed telefilms directed by Stephen Frears that starred McKellen. Broadbent was Buckingham in McKellen's famous Richard III (1995). And both voiced roles in the English-language version of The Magic Roundabout (2005).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us May 12-18 for "The King of the Golden Hall".

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

May 19 2008, 7:00pm

Post #20 of 28 (139 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously The Hobbit has got more of a chance of winning best picture than film two, so I would think that The Hobbit would be released xmas 2010, win the oscar, then film 2 will be released the next summer after all the hype...or maybe xmas again....I can't remember if they said when they would be released...

Advising Elf
Rohan

May 19 2008, 7:35pm

Post #21 of 28 (124 views)
Shortcut
Who gives a rat's ***? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Oscars have absolutely *nothing* to do with the "quality" of a film (whatever that means).

It's a gigantic exercise in advertising and narcissism.

I stopped watching them after Anne Ramsey was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for "Trhow Momma From the Train". All she did was gripe and b**** in a raspy voice for the whole movie. There are several people here at work who do that just as well (or better) and don't get paid for it.

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

Marionette
Rohan

May 19 2008, 8:05pm

Post #22 of 28 (123 views)
Shortcut
Worthy: YES, but will it have a chance?: NO [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be worthy for the Oscars, just like El Laberinto del Fauno was, just like Narnia the first movie was (to my eyes)
Just like other fantastic fantasy or Sci Fi movies...

But I am afraid it will not have a chance for the mayor categories (Best Movie, for example).

First: For some weird reason... Guillermo del Toro was relegated from an Oscar award for El Laberinto del Fauno...
If he was relegated with that, probably he will be for The Hobbit too.

Second: The Hobbit, even though its a very dramatic story, is more like a fantasy movie than LOTR trilogy was, still, I am surprised LOTR had sucha recognizon at the Oscars... really I am.
I think it“s becoz LOTR movies, though it ruined and butchered many things, a few of Tolkien“s wisdom and reality of LOTR remains in the movie... ehhh

LOTR Its not just a fantasy movie, like Narnia or Harry Potter, LOTR is more like an epic very related to reality story. So is The Hobbit is, so all Tolkien“s books... but any way The Hobbit is the less, maybe I love it even more for that.

But still I was surprised LOTR was considered for the mayor Oscars XD

Third and final: The times of Titanic, Gladiator and LOTR are gone. Just take a look at the movies considered for awards these days...
I haven“t seen anyone since 2005 , I think XD . And anyway I dont like any of them that much.
Many non-fantasy/sci fi movies are out of mayor awards these days... fantasy movies will not have chances neither.

If the movies is really good, maybe it will have some nominations, at least XD

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

Patty
Immortal

May 19 2008, 8:24pm

Post #23 of 28 (113 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if I completely agree with this, FrodoEyes... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the first The Hobbit movie ends with anything like a "to be continued" feel to it, the academy may say the same thing they said about Fellowship, that is, that they didn't want to award a story that wasn't complete, as the rest of it may not be up to snuff. I thought that was ludicrous, as the first movie deserved its many noms and the win on its own merits. The Brits saw the light and gave it the BAFTA best pic, for example. But the academy doesn't see it that way, apparently, so that might hamper The Hobbit if it is "incomplete." If the 2nd movie is of comparable worth that might get it the award.

But I stick by the thought that it'll be another decade or so that another fantasy film will win BP. Even one based on a film so well loved as The Hobbit.

Patty
Immortal

May 19 2008, 8:27pm

Post #24 of 28 (108 views)
Shortcut
While I completely agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

that they have nothing to do with the quality of a film, and that it's who you know (etc.) I still felt happy that our Rings folks got that whole bagful!

(A.E., I just saw that photo of you on the tractor with your little cutie!)

Advising Elf
Rohan

May 19 2008, 8:39pm

Post #25 of 28 (111 views)
Shortcut
I admit it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt the same way. It was an accomplishment that would've been hard to ignore.

Of course, it was a box office smash, too.

On the other note, just call me Farmer Bob!

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.