The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Feb 17 2022, 2:29pm

Post #1 of 6 (3563 views)
Shortcut
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM Can't Post

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any topic about this yet. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Let's talk about the upcoming anime movie The Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim

Since this anime film is set within the canon of Peter Jacksons films I hope this section is the right place for it.

A lot of former team members of Jacksons films are involved like Philippa Boyens, WETA and Richard Taylor, John Howe, Alan Lee. New Line and Warner Bros. are involved too.

The anime film is set to be released to cinemas on April 12, 2024.

Here's a quite recent article from Variety:
https://variety.com/...ase-date-1235181646/

Set roughly two centuries before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings,” “The War of the Rohirrim” will explore the exploits of Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan, and the creation of Helm’s Deep, the stronghold featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”

There's even some first concept art featuring Edoras and the Rohirrim being besieged by armies of (what looks to me like) Orcs or even Uruks from Mordor and Haradrim on Műmakil. I can't remember anything about a siege of Edoras by Mordor and the Haradrim. Especially not 20 years before FOTR.

Didn't Helm Hammerhand "only" fought the Dunlendings? While Gondor fought against the Corsairs? I could see some Orcs from the Misty Mountains aiding Dunland but Haradrim on Műmakil in Rohan? Did Gondor fall asleep?

What do you think?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2022, 3:21pm

Post #2 of 6 (3542 views)
Shortcut
look in Main and Rings of Power [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the posts by Otaku-sempai

This section is for the 3 completed LotR films by PJ and other versions

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2022, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 6 (3537 views)
Shortcut
For now, the discussion is in Main. [In reply to] Can't Post

The War of the Rohirrim does not as of yet has its own, dedicated forum.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Year of the Tiger

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Feb 17 2022, 3:38pm

Post #4 of 6 (3534 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the correction. Sorry somehow missed that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought because of it's close BTS, design and canon connection to the LOTR trilogy and it being a movie for cinemas this would be the right place.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Chen G.
Gondor

Feb 19 2022, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 6 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Didn't Helm Hammerhand "only" fought the Dunlendings? While Gondor fought against the Corsairs? I could see some Orcs from the Misty Mountains aiding Dunland but Haradrim on Műmakil in Rohan? Did Gondor fall asleep?

No. Some Corsairs invaded Rohan via the Lefnui and it was said to have also been attacked "from the east." Whether we'll see Sauron as being behind said invasions is unclear, but would dramatically effect the way The War of the Rohirrim sits within the context of the series as a whole.

An interesting project. I hasten to say that I don't have any proof, but it seems to me like Boyens had taken-over this production: it was fast-tracked last year and now its not out until 2024, with Philippa promoted to executive producer and the script seemingly being rewritten...by her daughter!

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Feb 19 2022, 4:22pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 20 2022, 11:14pm

Post #6 of 6 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Rohan was beset from both East and West [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

What do you think?

Rohan was first attacked from the East. Probably not by the Balcoth who had supposedly died out as a people by then, but possibly by Easterlings that had absorbed what remained of the Balcoth. The Dunlendings, led by Wulf, took advantage of the attacks to launch their own western offensive with allies from the South that landed at the mounts of the Isen and Lefui, possibly a combined force of Corsairs and Haradrim.

Gondor was unable to come to the aid of Rohan as they were under assault from three fleets of of the Corsairs of Umbar, also aided by Haradrim.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Year of the Tiger

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.