The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I made it to my 20th TORniversary!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9 2022, 5:11am

Post #1 of 23 (727 views)
Shortcut
I made it to my 20th TORniversary! Can't Post

In a hole in the ground, there once lived a gramma. Not a nasty, dirty ol' gramma... but one that was pretty clueless and alone. Until one day 51 years ago, she opened the first of 3 tattered, mismatched books about an incredible story... and she... I... wasn't alone anymore.

Thirty years after that wonderful day, I heard they were making a movie about my favourite story and I got really scared. They were being made by some guy that liked to make graphic, splatter films: Peter Jackson... who I never heard of before. So I tried to check it out. I was new at using the internet except for work. Quite frankly, I didn't know how much it could do! Scary!!!! I was totally lost trying to figure out how to run it on that (life-changing) summer day. Silly gramma :)

Six months after that, I saw that first movie and was shattered. Saved. I went on a Quest led by my computer and joined my first ever online group at TheLordOfTheRings.net on Christmas Day 2001. Within a few days, some of the discussion there talked about how great it was at this other site... so I went to check it out.

A week later, I found a new home at TheOneRing.net filled with lights, adventures and kindred spirits.

Twenty years later on January 8, 2022, I'm still nesting with my sibbies and life-long friends here at TORn. It all happened in an instant :) *twitch*

It's been quite a journey. Early in my challenging but simple life, I felt there was something special coming my way; but I never dreamt it would be something that would hold me for half a century and in so many ways. Books, films, a website and people. For this hobbity hermit, it was inconceivable... yet it has blossomed into a tremendous escape!

I'd like to I share my 10th TORniversary post (& 60th b'day) post that goes ever on about my love for you all and the adventures I've had since finding my way here. It expresses how much TORn and all of you mean to me even now. Plus, it has pictures... if the links still work!!!

Since that milestone, there were a few more things I did:

2/22-2/25/2013~~ The One Expected Party & Unexpected Art Show for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (85th Academy Awards for The Hobbit-AUJ Party) in Pasadena, CA on 2/24/2013

8/24-9/4/2013 ~~ We had a Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser! on eBay where we raised $5,825.43 for TORn.

2011 ~~ I made a new costume. Professor Trelawney's Divination outfit.

2013 ~~ I made another costume. Bilbo's bathrobe and nightshirt.

3/16-26/2018 ~~ I went on a trip to Wellington, NZ, took the Northern Explorer 9-hr train ride the length of the North Island and made it to Hobbiton!!! *squeeeeeeee*

I'll soon be 70yo and feel the same as I did those glorious days when we first saw FotR at the theatre... also 20 years ago! I'm only 70 when I look in the mirror or get on the scale ;) But my heart will always be young thanks to TORn.

Thank you everyone and TheOneRing.net!!! I love you more than ICE CREAM.... sorta.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 9 2022, 5:19am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2022, 5:49am

Post #2 of 23 (647 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNaversary, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I say with confidence that TORN would have been a noticeably different place without your delight and enthusiasm over the years. You're a treasure, gramma!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2022, 5:57am

Post #3 of 23 (644 views)
Shortcut
We adore you for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

On the Off Topic forum, you are always so supportive to other TORnsibs, and through PMs as well.

And what would we do on Main without your TIME feature?

Props and kudos on your special day!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 9 2022, 6:09am

Post #4 of 23 (644 views)
Shortcut
We love you too, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're totally forgiven for loving us *maybe* as much as ice cream. Laugh

Seriously, TORn is that much brighter, friendlier, and magical because you joined us all those years ago. Thank *YOU* for all the things you've organized over the years, and for making us smile whenever we see you here. HeartHeartHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 11:38am

Post #5 of 23 (639 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

As dear and lovely as this community is, as a whole, it would not be the same without you.
Here's to many more years.

Cheers, gramma! Heart

Ioreth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 1:05pm

Post #6 of 23 (637 views)
Shortcut
Congrats :) :) :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You have like 19 years leading time reading LOTR :) (I was born in 1971)
But I actually found the LOTR fandom a bit earlier, I found it in the spring of 1999 :)
Do not exactly when I made an account on TORN but it was I guess sometime in the spring :) after lots of lurking :)
Was on like 10-15 when there was most to discuss :) :) :)

Varking
Bree

Jan 9 2022, 1:36pm

Post #7 of 23 (637 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for being a positive mainstay in the fandom for all these years!

LotR on Amazon Prime Reddit

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 9 2022, 3:49pm

Post #8 of 23 (631 views)
Shortcut
Happy, TORniversary, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've added so much to this site over the years! May all the positive vibes you've sent out be returned to you over and over again. Heart

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 9 2022, 4:37pm

Post #9 of 23 (624 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been quite a ride, hasn't it?! So many adventures... I can't have been that far behind you time-wise, but I haven't any record of when I joined TORn - that info was lost when the boards changed. Speaking as a gardener, I'd say you're one of the hardy perennials and an asset to TORn's garden!

I first read LOTR in '74, I think, and was totally smitten. I thought of making Bilbo's bathrobe too, but I chickened out. Yours looks great! I'll be 70 soon too - scary isn't it? To the mirror and the scales I'd add the stepladder; my knees are not what they used to be. Thinking back to the design of Lorien, it's a darn good job Elves don't get arthritis!
Happy TOrniversary - proper 1420, that is!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 9 2022, 5:10pm

Post #10 of 23 (623 views)
Shortcut
Happy Tornaversary! You are a treasure, and no mistake! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 9 2022, 5:56pm

Post #11 of 23 (629 views)
Shortcut
Remarkable - [In reply to] Can't Post

20 years! and shining brightly still! Just remarkable. Thank you for all you have meant to and shared with this community, (and a lovely card just arrived to boot.) Yes remarkably kind and sweet. You have shown your quality, gramma - the very highest.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 9 2022, 5:56pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2022, 6:38pm

Post #12 of 23 (623 views)
Shortcut
My goodness, you've been busy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many happy returns of your TORniversary, gramma! I am so glad you took that first step outside your door - opening the first page of the books - and let yourself be led down such a marvellous path. Cool

You have been on the receiving end of many adventures, and you have given much, as well! You are a shining star on TORn, and to everyone you meet. Heart

I've been reading back through your 10-year post, there's so much in there, so much to revisit and enjoy all over again, thank you for sharing it all with us again! *HUGS!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ioreth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 7:05pm

Post #13 of 23 (621 views)
Shortcut
And may you [In reply to] Can't Post

experience many more years to come in this litte snug corner of the internet :)
*hugs*

Annael
Immortal

Jan 9 2022, 7:41pm

Post #14 of 23 (620 views)
Shortcut
happy 'versaries! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much of your story is my own. Well, not the living in the van part, but the discovering of LOTR and TORn. I had the same misgivings about Jackson at first: "who? This guy who does horror movies?" I can't say I came to love him as you do but he certainly did a better job than I feared!

I think my biggest regret in life is deciding I couldn't afford to come to LA for the Oscar party.

It's been great to know you, and welcome, a bit in advance, to our eighth decade on this planet! What a long strange trip it's been eh?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

squire
Half-elven

Jan 10 2022, 2:48am

Post #15 of 23 (618 views)
Shortcut
20 years of gramma joy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the note, gramma - and for the sentimentally fabulous repost of your 10th anniversary post. Sure, there's been less to do in the second ten years, but your presence continues to light up TORn for all the rest of us.
I wouldn't say grammaboodawg actually is TORn, because ... well ... hey. OK. Yes.
You, gramma, are TORn as much as any one person of us can be! Love you, and looking forward to the next ten years, God willing.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 10 2022, 3:57am

Post #16 of 23 (601 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

To the tune of "Happy Anniversary":

Happy TORniversary!
Happy TORniversary!
Happy TORniversary!

Haaappy TORniversary!

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 10 2022, 1:15pm

Post #17 of 23 (589 views)
Shortcut
*Flying tackle hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy TORniversary, gramma!

That deserves a giant ice cream!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 11 2022, 9:08am

Post #18 of 23 (580 views)
Shortcut
Happy happy TORniversary!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a ride it's been for you (and continues to be!). I'll add another {{flying tackle hug}} to the mix, for good measure. It's a joy to have you here with your presence shining so brightly day in and day out.

Now here's to the next 20! Hope you had a giant pint of ice cream to commemorate the date and had a wonderful weekend.

Wishing you a very happy TORniversary, gramma! Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14 2022, 3:33pm

Post #19 of 23 (547 views)
Shortcut
ohhhh... thank you so much :) [In reply to] Can't Post

[Raggedy-gramma 2006]

I warm myself on the glow of TORn :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2022, 8:16pm

Post #20 of 23 (544 views)
Shortcut
Happy, happy, happy TORniversary, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a joy and a privilege to have shared these boards with you through those two decades. Here's to many more years to come!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 17 2022, 2:25am

Post #21 of 23 (468 views)
Shortcut
Gramma, you're adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy TORniversary! You are a big reason why this place is so wonderful. Heart

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 21 2022, 5:12pm

Post #22 of 23 (407 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've always been such a treasure here. <3

I suddenly realize that I bleeped right over my 20th, about two months ago. :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2022, 2:57pm

Post #23 of 23 (359 views)
Shortcut
Happy 20th Auntie! :D *scooches over* [In reply to] Can't Post

We can share! entmaiden's in here with us, too :D Her 20th is within the same couple of days as mine!

Here's to all the 20-year Sibbies!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.