grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 7, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 14 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 7 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

How have you come through the Holidays? I hope any travelling you were doing was here in our Rivendell Walk and that you weren't actually sitting in an airport or in a car parked with others on major highways. What an incredible start to the New Year!

How are you coming along on your Quest? I hope you're doing things to accumulate mileage that you enjoy and find easy to keep doing. Do you have any new goals, or are you focusing on an on-going target? Whatever you have going on, remember that it's YOUR choice and YOUR control and YOUR achievement. Feel free to share your journey here where we're in the same boat (don't tell Sam!) and understand how unique each Quest is :) Best of luck and wishing you success in whatever it is and however you progress!

My new normal is shoveling snow! We've had some hum-dinger wind storms over the past few weeks! At least one a week since before Christmas with sustained winds up to 50mph with gusts of 65mph. Living in the country surrounded by open fields, I tend to get hammered pretty well! What has surprised me is that we didn't have any power outages from downed trees, branches and power lines. A quick blackout here and there, but nothing bad at all. Thank Goodness! I have food, water, fireplace, full tank of gas, and lots of non-electrical activities to keep me busy.

Meanwhile back in Middle-earth, the remaining Fellowship and I have FINALLY made it past the Argonath and are parked on Parth Galen... Rauros roaring away right over there. I thought once we got here that things would calm down a bit. But it's getting intense now that decisions about what everyone wants to do need to be made. Some want to go here and some want to go there... and the hobbits would just like to go home ;) I know I do!!!

Take care... and I'll see you on the Road! *waves fondly*

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20, 3:20pm

Post #2 of 14 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! January 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're enjoying your Walk in whatever form it takes :) Getting up and about is the main goal of our Rivendell jaunts, so enjoy the freedom of gathering your mileage in the best way for you on any given day. Now... in how many areas of your life do you have that kind of freedom? ;)

Do tell how you're coming along and what your goal is and your motivation? Is the start of a New Year something you use as a reset button? I admit it's one of mine. Plus, being winter and very cold out, my happiest activities of being out in my yard working or walking around the (4-mile) block of my country roads aren't available. How about you? Has your activity changed with the season?

Meanwhile back in Middle-earth, our respite on Parth Galen has not gone well. The Fellowship has been broken by an attack of Saruman's orcs; but it really began to break when Frodo ran off to escape Boromir, Aragorn ended up at Amon Hen, Legolas and Gimli were running to find Frodo as were Merry and Pippin in a different direction... I wonder if they would have fought off the attack if they'd all been together on the beach? hmmmmm....

Well, take care and have fun on your Quest! *waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 20, 3:22pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 26, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 14 (1052 views)
Shortcut
I did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I travelled around the world! I walked/cycled/etc 40,075 km (or 24,901 mi), the circumference of the Earth, in 2,567 days, beginning on 3 January 2015 and finishing on 12 January 2022. Seven years and ten days!

What a journey it's been! Thank you, gramma, for introducing me to this wonderful challenge! It's become such a natural part of my life, adding up the numbers every night.

Since reaching my goal, I've added another 252 km (or 157 mi) to my total. Don't ask me, where I'm going -- I don't know! I guess I'm just strolling around for fun now, at least for the time being. Maybe I could join Frodo & Co for another trip across Middle-earth, eh? We'll see... ;)

Till then -- happy walking, everyone!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27, 2:05am

Post #4 of 14 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an amazing achievement! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27, 1:07pm

Post #5 of 14 (996 views)
Shortcut
WOW!!! :D Well Done!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Quest Is DONE!!!

You've made it around the world!!! That is the most incredible achievement YET! *bows deeply* I can't stop this massive smiling!

Oh geez, BlackFox. Thank you for hanging in there and letting us share in your HUGE ACHIEVEMENT! Now you can go wherever you want! You've earned it! :D

*MASSIVE HUG*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27, 10:59pm

Post #6 of 14 (989 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful achievement! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations, BlackFox! I only came across your journey relatively recently, but I've very much enjoyed following along from home.

Enjoy your next adventure!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 28, 11:08am

Post #7 of 14 (948 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 28, 11:09am

Post #8 of 14 (947 views)
Shortcut
Thank YOU! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 28, 11:11am

Post #9 of 14 (946 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3, 3:36pm

Post #10 of 14 (819 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well and enjoying your Quest. Today finds a HUGE part of the U.S... from Texas to Maine... either digging out from the second massive snowstorm this past week (still falling today) or the southern part of the storm bringing crippling ice. So I'll bet there's more than a few of us wearing out our snow shovels and enjoying the freezing temps ;) Come on... it puts colour in your cheeks and gathers bunches of mileage for your journey :D My favourite part is the warm sweats and hot chocolate at the end of the effort.

Our Southern Hemi sibbies are enjoying summer weather. T'is the time of the year when we have extreme opposites of temps... which always fascinates me :D What sort of action are you doing right now in your part of the world to gather mileage? Walking in the warm sunshine or working in the garden... or are you throwing snow? Hopefully there are many of you in a comfy place in-between :D

Do tell if you have a target you're working towards during your Walk. I wanna lose 10 pounds! Very un-glorious, but very much a plague and a nuisance in my world ;)

Meanwhile back in Middle-earth, the Fellowship has split up, but their spirits and dedication is not broken. I've snuck into the crowd carrying Merry and Pippin to Isengard. What a gross bunch of beings abusing our wonderful hobbits. This is where Merry and especially Pippin's spirits, resourcefulness and strength are really growing.

Do tell on how you're doing :) Take care, stay safe, and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 3, 3:37pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18, 4:06am

Post #11 of 14 (456 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

We've made it halfway through February!! So much closer to warmer weather in the Northern Hemi and cooler weather in the Southern Hemi :) The change of seasons is always an adventure of what comes next. Do you like to find yourself looking forward to the weather change?

I hope you're enjoying your Quest... whatever it may be. Getting in some winter sports, walking, *shudder* cleaning... there are so many ways to gather up your mileage. I really should be *urp* cleaning the basement again; but I'm having too much fun working on an indoor project. Sadly, there's not a whole lot of chances to get a good workout at the computer, so I'm visiting the treadmill as often as I remember to ;)

So do tell on how you're coming along and what your goal is. Then again, taking it a day at a time is just as productive!

Back in Middle-earth, the Fellowship has kind of splattered all over the place in different directions; but we all are doing our best to find each other again and save the world!

Stay safe... and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

JRandomRohirrim01
The Shire

Mar 2, 3:41am

Post #12 of 14 (141 views)
Shortcut
Hi Gramma! (Yet More "Walk to Rivendell") [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised I haven't been here in so long!

ANYWAY...One good habit I've picked up over the last 9 years has been to increase my walking. By 2019, I was averaging 6 miles a day, but I only managed that for a year. I'm hoping to be back to averaging 5 miles a day this year.

Since the beginning of 2012, when I started tracking my walking, I've walked an extra 14,600 miles. I've probably done the circumference of Middle Earth!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 2, 1:11pm

Post #13 of 14 (113 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That number of miles is amazing! I'll let gramma figure out how many "Walks" that is, that you've done. Shocked

And by the way - great to see you here again, it has indeed been a long time! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 2, 3:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (111 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* HI!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OH WOW!!!! You have done the Quest proud! It's so great to see you and find you safe, sound and on the move!!!!!! :D WELL DONE!

It's SO GREAT TO SEE YOU!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.